Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Gervasius posted:

Drone literally flew 1000 km from the war zone and crashed in middle of a NATO member capital and nothing happened.

Apparently only Ukraine operates this kind of drone, but who knows really. They deny it's theirs anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Gervasius posted:

Drone literally flew 1000 km from the war zone and crashed in middle of a NATO member capital and nothing happened.
Allegedly that was an Ukrainian drone, and it flew over Hungary (the most "russophile" government in the area, so they are probably less worried about escalation than Poland) but it's unclear. E: f/b.

E: removed as per IK's request.

I presume there is going to be a lot of defense developed around drones in the future, but one would expect the skies around Ukraine to be well monitored right now...

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 14, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Take your nuke wankery to Clancychat thread.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
It was a drone question :v: but fair enough, removed.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 14, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SourKraut posted:

There's also a contingent who seriously think that dunking on Ukraine and the posters in this thread who support Ukraine, is some type of "owning the libs" nonsense, because ultimately life and its events are just one giant game to them, even if they claim otherwise, since in their own deranged way, they're keeping "score".

Owning the libs because you hate them because you think their ideology is 'things can't be better', while immediately calling for people actually fighting to make things better to 'just let the fascists win'.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

That Italian Guy posted:

Allegedly that was an Ukrainian drone, and it flew over Hungary (the most "russophile" government in the area, so they are probably less worried about escalation than Poland) but it's unclear. E: f/b.

Now I have a question for milgoons: if drones are so hard to detect (small profile, high altitude, low radar signature, etc) what is stopping someone like a well funded terrorist group or a place like North Korea from strapping a nuke or something similar (dirty bomb, etc) on one and have it deliver it in the middle of a big city? Would the payload be way too heavy for a drone? Are drones completely unavailable to non-state agents atm (because of cost or tech limitations)?

I presume there is going to be a lot of defense developed around drones in the future, but one would expect the skies around Ukraine to be well monitored right now...

Real nukes are still close-to-impossible to get, and even If acquired to operate as anything else But raw material to dirty bombs. Real nukes are Also big enough that even a military drone such as tb2 would have big difficulties with it.

Military-grade drones such as TB2 are also still very much beyond everyday acquisition abilities of non-state actors, and even If acquired moving them from the acquisition area to target area is hard.

Its basically same reasons ”nuke in a container ship in megapolis 1 harbor” hasnt happened- Its clancychat rather than real life.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

A government too corrupt to corrupt other governments.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the pregnant lady on the stretcher died, as did her child.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-u...w&utm_medium=AP

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

That Italian Guy posted:

Now I have a question for milgoons: if drones are so hard to detect (small profile, high altitude, low radar signature, etc) what is stopping someone like a well funded terrorist group from using them to conduct a terror attack? Are drones completely unavailable to non-state agents atm (because of cost or tech limitations)?

Isis already did this in Syria. But for a terror attack that is unnecessarily complicated. You can just take the grenade to a bus and blow everyone up. The limiting factor is access to explosive materials in most places.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Rinkles posted:

no guys but you should totally feel very sorry about the suffering that might be caused to russian citizens by the sanctions

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
it actually is ok to feel bad for the people that don't support the war and will get screwed anyways but i don't trust anyone who looks at what the russian military is doing in ukraine and then starts demanding that the rest of the world stops the sanctions because "but what about the civilians in russia???"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

RottenK posted:

no guys but you should totally feel very sorry about the suffering that might be caused to russian citizens by the sanctions

https://twitter.com/YWNReporter/status/1503289329984102403?s=20&t=XnXHg94i9FJ32eKu0BX-sw

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1503238569615314960

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Valtonen posted:

Real nukes are still close-to-impossible to get, and even If acquired to operate as anything else But raw material to dirty bombs. Real nukes are Also big enough that even a military drone such as tb2 would have big difficulties with it.

Military-grade drones such as TB2 are also still very much beyond everyday acquisition abilities of non-state actors, and even If acquired moving them from the acquisition area to target area is hard.

Its basically same reasons ”nuke in a container ship in megapolis 1 harbor” hasnt happened- Its clancychat rather than real life.

Surely someone in the Strategic Rocket Forces is corrupt enough to sell a nuke.

I'm sure those people and the dead pregnant lady are glad a couple of nazis died so their sacrifice was not in vain.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

This is loving bonkers. gently caress Putin man, just gently caress him

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Given the state of the army and air force, one cannot help but wonder how badly the navy and the strategic rocket forces have rotted. Missiles and warheads are extremely expensive and everybody was sure they would never be used. Perfect yacht financing. I don't know how clancychat this is, it would have been his most boring novel ever. Mutually Assured Corruption.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Didn't that attack on the Saudi oil refinery feature a lot of drones with explosives attached.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

RottenK posted:

it actually is ok to feel bad for the people that don't support the war and will get screwed anyways but i don't trust anyone who looks at what the russian military is doing in ukraine and then starts demanding that the rest of the world stops the sanctions because "but what about the civilians in russia???"

Before the war started Putin had an approval rating between 60 and 70 percent, with majority also supporting invasion, and approving what was previously done in Georgia and Ukraine. Hell, even Alexei Navalny thinks Crimea is part of Russia now because they took it back to Russia.

So while not directly causing the war, the general population in Russia sure as poo poo didn't see any problem with Putin's policies, general malevolence towards neighboring countries, and looked away and ignored the issue. So https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 14, 2022

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Der Kyhe posted:

Before the war started Putin had an approval rating between 60 and 70 percent, with majority also supporting invasion, and approving what was previously done in Georgia and Ukraine. Hell, even Alexei Navalny thinks Crimea is part of Russia now because they took it back to Russia.

So while not directly causing the war, the general population in Russia sure as poo poo didn't see any problem with Putin's policies, general malevolence towards neighboring countries, and looked away and ignored the issue. So https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976

yeah i know, im talking about the minority of people who are anti-war and anti-putin but can't do poo poo about it

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

RottenK posted:

poo poo take. Neither me nor my husband killed this lady, and we're, along with thousands of marginalized people are facing the situation where we might quite literally die from the lack of necessary meds/prices rising.

Like, don't get me wrong, there are things I wish for concerning our elite that I won't really mention here, but every dumb decision that won't affect oligarchs isn't good.

I can't see a single point in cheering for big companies moving away from Russia when it's basically just leading to people being hosed over. Definitely hope that oil/gas industries being targeted will put pressure on oligarchs, but dumb gestures like Food Company X moving away won't do poo poo. I doubt Kadyrov cares much for McDonalds closing, yet people will lose their jobs at a time when prices skyrocket. And I REALLY doubt people will rise up because of sanctions, considering there were marches here since day 1.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fatherboxx posted:

"We have wasted our annual budget on drugs and gambling so we only managed to bribe Mykola, a local drunk from Sumy. But be assured, he is going to lead the new administration as soon as our lads roll in!"

''Uh, bad news vozhd, Mykola traded his bribe to a bunch of conscripts for their T-72."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lol, so they basically read Gogol and quit early.

Rinkles posted:

Didn’t the Ukrainians say that particular woman was fine or something and gave birth?

Sandweed posted:

How many of them are funded by Peter Thiel?

Least the first three probably.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Didn’t the Ukrainians say that particular woman was fine or something and gave birth?
Woman on the stretcher (1st picture) died, woman on 3rd picture is 'fine' and gave birth.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Vookatos posted:

poo poo take. Neither me nor my husband killed this lady, and we're, along with thousands of marginalized people are facing the situation where we might quite literally die from the lack of necessary meds/prices rising.

What would you have us do.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Americans can only feel bad about one thing at any given time, it's their nature.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Vookatos posted:

Like, don't get me wrong, there are things I wish for concerning our elite that I won't really mention here, but every dumb decision that won't affect oligarchs isn't good.

I can't see a single point in cheering for big companies moving away from Russia when it's basically just leading to people being hosed over. Definitely hope that oil/gas industries being targeted will put pressure on oligarchs, but dumb gestures like Food Company X moving away won't do poo poo. I doubt Kadyrov cares much for McDonalds closing, yet people will lose their jobs at a time when prices skyrocket. And I REALLY doubt people will rise up because of sanctions, considering there were marches here since day 1.

Sanctions can be both:
- something that hurts innocent people.
- something that needs to be done in order to help Ukraine.
At the same time.

The goal is to force a peace treaty by making the war too expensive for Russia, both the delivery of weapons and the economic sanctions have this same goal.

Personally I think we could still do more sanctions and that this should be the reaction whenever a country invades another indepent country without good reason.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Owning the libs because you hate them because you think their ideology is 'things can't be better', while immediately calling for people actually fighting to make things better to 'just let the fascists win'.

Tell-All from the VolunteersForUkraine subreddit after Russia airstriked their base, killing 170 of the 200 volunteers posted:

“Nobody wants to talk about, or even acknowledge, how Russia seems to be systemically killing Ukrainian soldiers. Not in the way typical of war. It would almost seem that they aren't simply trying to get Ukraine to fold, or to force negotiations, but instead they are interested in wiping out every Ukrainian with a gun, in a very methodical way.

We see 'humanitarian corridors' established, and within a few hours they close. You know why? Because some of the first people to move out are Ukrainian forces, because they know that city will fall and they'll be killed. And Russia let's them through, then closes the corridor, and wipes them out.

There's an extremely bloody battle going on in eastern Ukraine right now, with Ukrainian soldiers trapped in a pocket (Russians call it a cauldron, and it's one of Russia's favourite tactics). There's nobody to go in and back them up, there's no air support for them, they don't have fuel to escape, and their comms are unreliable. They are just being methodically picked off by the Russians.

This is the exact same thing that happened in Ilovaisk in 2014. 'Official' estimates just after the battle said some 300 Ukrainian soldiers died, but it later came out (from Ukraine's parliament) that it was at least 1,000 of the 1,200 troops that were encircled. And right now Russia is encircling the bulk of Ukrainian forces who were sent from western Ukraine to fight on the frontlines in the east. Tens of thousands of soldiers are going to be killed by Russians over the next few days, eliminating the bulk of Ukraine's trained forces.

I'd love for Ukraine to win. I think it's an absolute failure of the west to allow this to go on. And tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of Ukrainians are going to die in the next week, while Zelenskyy feeds people false hope, and the west sits on their hands feeling good about helping refugees and thinking that paying high gas prices is "doing our part." All those lives will be lost for no benefit to Ukraine; no benefit to the west. Other than delaying the inevitable. Though it is a benefit to Russia to be able to wipe out a generation the most pro-Ukrainian men (and women) who are willingly fighting Russians to their deaths.”

quote:

“they are given little ammunition and an AK with no buttstock. When volunteers ask for more they are told to gather it from dead Russians. He also said foreign volunteers have died in the front lines and some feel they are being sent to the front lines as meat slaughter.“

“Its a real wacky set up of weapons seeing as they're donated from all over the place, they have stinger missiles, some good sniper rifles, then absolutely poo poo AKs and busted MG3s without enough of the right ammunition”

quote:

Left the legion. Some are staying to help refugees - some going home. But it is clear that going to Kviv with the legion is nearly a loving death sentence. A medic died the day after he got to the front, another guy tried shooting an AK at an APC and was killed immediately, a 10 man team was nearly wiped out - 8 killed and 2 crawled away. Your body will not be retrieved from the frontlines either.

Has Russia run out of fuel yet? I heard that would be happening negative one week ago. Is that convoy still 'stuck', or have they dispersed to forward positions?

For what it's worth, the majority of leftists i've seen 'owning the libs' don't think it's good that Russia invaded. They aren't pro-Russia, there's no delusion that they are a communist nor leftward country. They do, however, believe that this war is not winnable in any way for Ukraine, and the longer they wait to negotiate a surrender, the worse their bargaining position becomes. You can post a cool drone video in response but every map-even the ones that near-exclusively use Ukrainian MoD data like ISW and MilitaryLand-show that Russia is steadily advancing. This is less "Fight for what's right using effective resistance" and more "driving your used van into the White House gates to save Yemen". Snake Island was fake, Ghost of Kyiv was fake, that second-in command to Kadyrov alleged killed has apparently shown up again, Ukraine has a history of loudly fudging their casualties. It's extremely obvious that what we're seeing on social media, from Ukraine's MoD, from Bellingcat, does not match up with the reality on the ground.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 14, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dwesa posted:

Woman on the stretcher (1st picture) died, woman on 3rd picture is 'fine' and gave birth.

Thanks. Sorry about that.

SourKraut posted:

I'd personally find it hilarious if the the long-term result of all of this is that China cripples Russia much harder with its support requirements, than what Western sanctions would have caused.

I don't know whether it'd be an overall good thing or bad thing for Russia to become a relatively inconsequential satellite of China.

That and the corps moving hosed Russia bad, though many of the sanctions are actually strong.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe instead of cheering war crimes every four years in some unlucky neighboring country and approving carpet bombing of civilians, the Russians should go ask their great leader for medicare and not being sanctioned back to the golden era of radio?

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

I'm still baffled how the 2 older men in the video were chill about it.

Guess that's what the independence war does to you.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Der Kyhe posted:

Hell, even Alexei Navalny thinks Crimea is part of Russia now because they took it back to Russia.

This isn't a discussion for this thread, but short of coming out to say that the occupation of Crimea was illegal Navalny did not show any indication that he supports wars of conquest and he is part Ukrainian like a lot of Russians himself

The deal is that his strategy has always been to build grand coalitions with other parties (communists and the LDPR) to overthrow United Russia. If he would come out against the annexation it would turn a part of the braindead electorate against him. That's not a commendable position but it's not right to paint Russian dissidents as being as imperialist as Putin. They want to be a part of Europe and would give up Crimea and probably the Caucasus too if it brings Russia closer to Europe instead of a crappy autarkic empire

In other news, Israel is forced to take a side:
https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1503316397773971463

I hope Abramovich is making GBS threads his pants and preparing to go back to Chukotka

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think you guys all misunderstood me. For one I didn’t realize the twitter person tweeted commentary in subsequent tweets. What I was commenting on was the linked article directly. What I meant was, the person who wrote that article is grossly misinformed about how this war = the fall of US hegemony and this entire idea is just laughable. Therefore, why should anyone pay attention to this take (the articles take, the the twitter person)?

Er, I’m talking about the article too, not the Twitter guy? I didn’t even know there was additional commentary. The article is saying “Public opinion in China believes that this war spells the end of Chinese hegemony. However, I believe this is wrong, and that the war will instead strengthen and unite the West.” It’s not saying or agreeing that the war actually represents the end of US hegemony. I’m honestly not sure how you can read the article as saying anything else unless you literally stopped reading once you hit that stumbling block - it is super clear in its theme of increased American leadership as a result of the war.

That’s not to say that the article doesn’t have its own weird takes (the idea that the war spells an end to European independence and self-defense, for instance) but you’re misunderstanding this particular point.

Der Kyhe posted:

In fairness, the US (and quite a lot of other countries) tend to be in favor of wars as long as there’s a minimum of justification and, more importantly, they’re led to believe they won’t face any direct consequences for it. Genuine question because I no longer recall, but how was polling for the Iraqi War just as it was kicking off?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

It's extremely obvious that what we're seeing on social media, from Ukraine's MoD, from Bellingcat, does not match up with the reality on the ground.
While it's clear that UA is using their own propaganda, hiding their losses and parading their victories, why would that post on reddit be more reliable? Even in the best scenario where everything reported about the foreign volontary camp is true...it's an opinion from someone who by their own account is completely cut out from anyone in the main UA armed forces. How would they know what's going on on the other side of the country if their only involvement is "get a lovely rifle, go shoot Russians, try not to die"?

Most western intelligence services have been saying that the Russian advance has ground to an halt in the past few days. The encirclement the reddit post talks about has only happened in the towns at the extreme border of the country so far and when they tried to push more in depth they have been repelled, especially in the past week. I don't have any illusion that things are going to get good for people at the very front of the war, and this doesn't mean that Russia coulnd't grind down UA over the course of a year or more, but they would have to be able to wage war for that much time against an opponent that has, so far, received a massive amount of resources through its western border; and there isn't at the moment any indication that this will soon change.

EDIT: JFC that rapsheet.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 14, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Der Kyhe posted:

The general population in Russia is as much a victim here as the Russian conscripts are; they had about as much choice in any of this. Less really because the conscripts are in another country and can in theory surrender or desert.

Russia isn't a democracy and you can't blame subject populations living under media blackout and exposed to state propaganda 24/7 for agreeing with what the State wants them to agree with.

Plus, you know,

https://twitter.com/IlyaMatveev_/status/1503150441634410496?s=20&t=aYX40zZvlnA23d3tQY0dSA

Basically stop blaming victims, people. And in this war virtually everyone except Putin and his immediate circle are victims.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 14, 2022

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Tomn posted:

Genuine question because I no longer recall, but how was polling for the Iraqi War just as it was kicking off?

Before the war, it fluctuated between 52-59%. Once it kicked off, it rose to about 72%.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Neurolimal posted:

Has Russia run out of fuel yet? I heard that would be happening negative one week ago. Is that convoy still 'stuck', or have they dispersed to forward positions?

For what it's worth, the majority of leftists i've seen 'owning the libs' don't think it's good that Russia invaded. They aren't pro-Russia, there's no delusion that they are a communist nor leftward country. They do, however, believe that this war is not winnable in any way for Ukraine, and the longer they wait to negotiate a surrender, the worse their bargaining position becomes. You can post a cool drone video in response but every map-even the ones that near-exclusively use Ukrainian MoD data like ISW and MilitaryLand-show that Russia is steadily advancing. This is less "Fight for what's right using effective resistance" and more "driving your used van into the White House gates to save Yemen". Snake Island was fake, Ghost of Kyiv was fake, that second-in command to Kadyrov alleged killed has apparently shown up again, Ukraine has a history of loudly fudging their casualties. It's extremely obvious that what we're seeing on social media, from Ukraine's MoD, from Bellingcat, does not match up with the reality on the ground.

Why don't you go to scout the real situation on the ground first-hand, mr brain genius. Maybe you can get one of the awesome paratrooper units that are totally winning the war against the homonazis (despite the lies of the decadent Western propaganda) to drop you behind the lines, and with a bit of luck maybe the parachute won't work.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Neurolimal posted:

Ah, I see someone who's against fighting people's wars against imperialist invaders with greater numbers, a true leftist position.

((Posting from 1953)) "Giap, just give up, you can't smash the Tassigny Line, gun for a position in the French colonial administration, maybe you can even get the Viet Minh a seat in the French parliament! Every day you wait, your position gets worse!"

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 14, 2022

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Your post does not exist on that subreddit. So it seems to be faker than the stuff you're railing against.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If the Ukrainians are just trading evenly with the Russians (which means they lose the conventional war handily, Russia has more stuff), that still leaves Russia at the end of the day trying to manage a completely untenable occupation with far too few troops left to maintain order, and an army that can no longer threaten to do peer warfare of any kind because all all of its high end irreplacable kit has been churned up in the attrition.

The beep boop logical calculus is not that Ukraine shouldn't fight, it is that if Ukraine fights then Russia needs to get back on its side of the border asap.

e: I will throw out a quick bet and say that nobody who is saying that the best thing for Ukraine to do is give up has also taken the position that the Palestinians should go cap in hand to Tel Aviv and accept whatever offer Israel makes.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
So the leftist take on an imperialist nation invading your county is to not fight because civilians will die

So they should surrender to the imperialist autocrat who regularly abuses/disappears his people

I mean I can understand avoiding war at all costs but Ukraine wasn’t really given a choice in the matter and Russia is not a great place to be associated with compared to the EU.

E: honestly, the feeling I get from most internet leftists (and I’d call myself a leftist) is that they just want to see Europe suffer because of awful poo poo they’ve done in the past. Never mind that Europe is morally in the right here.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 14, 2022