Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
welp, my kid who always sleeps had trouble sleeping tonight. loving clocks

vv :unsmith: vv

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
:smuggo: My kid bypassed the time shift bedtime drama by having an unrelated meltdown and passing out early instead, so I guess I beat DST this round. :smuggo:

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
To add on the language development chat from a couple days ago, we're Latvian, but live in a country where English is one of the two main languages. We use exclusively Latvian at home and have a Latvian sitter, but speak in English with others outside the home and the kid goes to an English preschool (and daycare before that, as much of that was happening during the beginning of the pandemic).

She's now nearly 4 and her English was lagging behind her Latvian to the point where she would be frustrated with it, prefer Latvian voiced cartoons over English ones and have light tantrums about going to school because she'd need to speak English there.

A few months ago she started using English when playing by herself and I think something really clicked for her about two weeks ago when she just piped up out of the blue saying that we can use English at home from now on because she understands everything now. I'm thinking she might have learned how to deduce the words she doesn't know from context or developed enough of a vocabulary to feel she understands more than she doesn't.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Lazy_Liberal posted:

welp, my kid who always sleeps had trouble sleeping tonight. loving clocks

vv :unsmith: vv

So, in my country we do the DST change in a few weeks. Still, tonight was the first time in forever that she woke up whining and had trouble going back to sleep.

Cosmic transatlantic connections, perhaps?

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Silent Linguist posted:

Does anyone have any tips for a 1-year-old who flips out when he’s hungry? It’s especially bad after we get back from daycare—as soon as we walk in the door, he’s standing by his high chair crying. I feel like I have to rush to throw something in the microwave and feed him immediately.

We’ve done the obvious like give him some cheerios, but that only works until the Cheerios are gone (10 seconds).

I always brought a sippy cup of milk with me for her to drink on the ride home. Usually made the gap between getting home and having dinner a little smoother.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
On multilingual kids, I recently came across this article which basically argues that learning extra languages also helps children in their general language skills development, which then helps them learn their area's native language. It also argues against strict separation of languages:

quote:

To prevent language mixing, parents have long been advised to use the strategy: one person, one language (OPOL). In a German-Kenyan family, for example, the mother might only speak German with the children, the father Swahili, and the parents speak English together. But today, language researchers don’t recommend such a strict separation. There is little evidence that it is beneficial for learning a language. And too strict a separation is even undesirable: the children either don’t know the words to talk about school at home, or have difficulty telling their mother about an outing with their father. “Multilingualism doesn’t mean that it’s chaos inside the children’s heads. They can separate their language systems from a very young age, and they know very well with whom they can speak which language,” explains Blom, who recently received a VICI grant for his research into language mixing. And it isn’t necessarily a problem if children do mix languages. “Sometimes children mix languages to fill gaps in one language with words from another. But it could also be a sign of creativity or a large vocabulary. Language mixing may be correlated with weak language skills, but it can also be an indication of a child’s power of expression.”

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So, in my country we do the DST change in a few weeks. Still, tonight was the first time in forever that she woke up whining and had trouble going back to sleep.

Cosmic transatlantic connections, perhaps?

morpheus was pissed off imo

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I just got texted in our extended family chat about how the new Pixar film might prompt unwanted discussions about female puberty and bodily changes.

The film is called Turning Red. It isn’t exactly subtle about it. Do people still go to movies without doing any reading up at all on them?

Edit: post in question: https://m.facebook.com/86284842475/posts/10159026668532476/

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 14, 2022

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I don't get why it's ever bad to have a body talk as long as the movie isn't shaming anything. Then again it's Pixar/Disney so who knows I guess.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not to be combative, I do not read up on Disney or Pixar movies

When my 4 year old nephew comes over to be babysat he gets the next Pixar movie on Disney+ in alphabetical order and then I dump out the brio train gear on the floor and start making dinner

I assume that Pixar will be slightly more mature than blippi but only barely

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I don't get why it's ever bad to have a body talk as long as the movie isn't shaming anything. Then again it's Pixar/Disney so who knows I guess.

I don’t think it’s bad, but I can sympathize with parents who just wanted to try to chill for a couple hours and didn’t know they were going to prompt A Talk.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Watched Turning Red over the weekend--went in blind and thought it was a riot. It was also totally on the nose regarding my in-laws except (i) they're not Canadian and (ii) the whole literal turning into pandas thing.
Otherwise, it was uncanny.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
While watching Turning Red over the weekend, lil bee (8) says unprompted "Oh, I know what a period is! It's when you become a teenager and your vagina turns red!"

Sort of, kiddo.. :eek:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

i thought it was your butt bleeding for years. wish i had a parent or Pixar film tell me something. can't think of any good reason that kids can't know about bodily processes besides parents being uncomfortable ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I reserve the right to deploy "did the red peony bloom?" at my own daughter in the future.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I think turning red is aimed at an older audience than the usual under 10 crowd or whatever so I'm not sure younger kids would really get it

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Levitate posted:

I think turning red is aimed at an older audience than the usual under 10 crowd or whatever so I'm not sure younger kids would really get it

My kids (9, 5) both got it just fine, though they had some relatively benign questions. We live in Toronto and they loved that there was a Disney movie set here above all else though. Also, cute panda

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Levitate posted:

My 4yo found the early parts very embarrassing and had to hide her head in a pillow, but she has that reaction to almost any situation with stakes that happens in a movie. Same reaction to whether Lightning McQueen is going to win the race in Cars 1.

I was surprised by how explicit the period metaphor was and expected to have to answer more questions but the movie quickly provides a supernatural explanation to match the metaphor so when she repeatedly asks "why did she turn into a red panda?" I can just answer with that.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We've kinda been adding info about sex, reproduction, consent, body parts, etc over the course of my son's life.

He's 8 and we haven't watched the movie yet but based on what I've read about it and what my friends that have seen it have said i feel like he'd already understand most of it.

Also a plug for it's not the stork and the related books (it's so amazing and it's perfectly normal) as your kids grow...no need to have a super awkward talk with your teenager if you've been having tiny talks all the time before your kids are motified by those conversations with you!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's honestly really benign. There's a part where they talk about pads but other than that it can literally be read as a movie about a girl that turns into a panda when she gets emotional. In fact, outright talking about periods, however briefly, differentiates the panda stuff from that, if anything even if it's a clear metaphor for older kids and grown-ups.

Other than that there's a lot about the main character starting to "notice" boys but even that isn't overtly sexual or anything. I had no qualms at all showing this to my 5 year old.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

flashy_mcflash posted:

My kids (9, 5) both got it just fine, though they had some relatively benign questions. We live in Toronto and they loved that there was a Disney movie set here above all else though. Also, cute panda

Eh I just figured the plot and characters wouldn’t appeal as much but who knows, kids are giant red panda and don’t pay attention to the coming of age parts I guess

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
My 5 year old loves it and has watched it pretty much every minute she has had time to watch tv since first seeing it this weekend.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Apologies for interrupting the Turning Red chat (I really want to see it) but I am trying to schedule my 2 yo’s ENT surgery and it is a NIGHTMARE omg. They wanted to schedule him in the afternoon/evening one day and expect us to keep him fasting all day like hell to the no thank you.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I am beginning to think that the ogre toddler's Montessori follows our ISD's calender specifically to avoid dealing with kids the week of DST.

Child, please, for the love of all that's holy wake up on time and stop fighting naps...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The true horrors of spring forward don't come until Tuesday.

It's Tuesday.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I got lucky this time cause I just moved everything an hour but I also have no life and no where to be for the indefinite future

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/598314-senate-unanimously-approves-making-daylight-saving-time-permanent

Go go go little Bill sitting there on Capitol Hill

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I didn't know that was a thing and it's awesome if it goes through.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That is a very good bill but I don't understand how parents with young kids never makes the list of arguments against DST. Like yeah there's some airline stuff and some guy is sad that he lost an hour of his day but those of us with infants and toddlers pretty have much an entire week ruined by DST.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

nachos posted:

That is a very good bill but I don't understand how parents with young kids never makes the list of arguments against DST. Like yeah there's some airline stuff and some guy is sad that he lost an hour of his day but those of us with infants and toddlers pretty have much an entire week ruined by DST.

Isn't the argument against DST due to the change messing up kids sleep schedules? No change? No problem!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pain of Mind posted:

Isn't the argument against DST due to the change messing up kids sleep schedules? No change? No problem!

Yeah the main opposing argument is because kids will be waiting for school busses in the dark, but…I want my sleep.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I just want to end the twice yearly autism meltdowns for a week because the time changed

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Welp our son's ear tube check-in is at 6a tomorrow.

Yay for not having to keep him from eating before hand at least. But maaaaaan gently caress wakibg up that early.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

citybeatnik posted:

Welp our son's ear tube check-in is at 6a tomorrow.

Yay for not having to keep him from eating before hand at least. But maaaaaan gently caress wakibg up that early.

My kids have to be at daycare at 6:15am for me to make it to work on time. It feels awful having to wake them up so early, especially when they are sleeping so comfortably like sweet little angels.

Baby has two upper teeth coming in, so last night he woke me up by fussing every half hour or so. It was a rough day at work.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I don't think there's a single daycare in my (small) city that starts that early. I think the earliest I found was 7:30am. It's going to be real interesting trying to manage drop offs on the rare occasion my husband is sick because I start at 8 and the daycare which is 35min from my work opens at 7:45am. Hope I'm gonna have understanding bosses :toot:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Prepandemic, our daycare used to be open 6:30-6:30 and you could use any and all hours. Now it’s 7:30-5:30, which isn’t that bad but even 7:15 would work a lot better.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
One of the reasons we picked our day care was because they didn't charge extra for different hours. IIRC it was like 6:30-6:00 pre-pandemic? Some places charged like an extra $75/mo on each end for earlier or later...

They changed the hours in the pandemic, and our normal schedule is very different now because 2 kids, so I dunno what their hours are now. I think it's back to that, but at some point I think it was like 7:30-5:00 for a while. Certainly open until 6:00pm, but not sure if they open at 7:00 or 6:30 these days. Not that we can get them in that early anymore, though.

fake edit: looking back at the spreadsheet we made way back, looks like most places we looked at were 7:00-6:00.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I am really really glad that not only is my wife a stay-at-home mom anyway, but I work from home. Not only do we avoid daycare bullshit, it allows her to have those days where a combination of pregnancy, progesterone, chronic fatigue, and orthostatic hypotension kick the living gently caress out of her.

I feel so bad. I wish I could take some of her dysautonomic stuff on myself. :eng99:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I never thought about daycare much before we had a kid, but I really like being able to take my daughter. She gets good socialization, she likes the people that work there and vice versa, and she's become so in love with the infants that she will carry around a doll of hers patting it's back saying honey, honey.

I guess they let her in the infant room sometimes. She's baby crazy (she's 23 months old) :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

External Organs posted:

I never thought about daycare much before we had a kid, but I really like being able to take my daughter. She gets good socialization, she likes the people that work there and vice versa, and she's become so in love with the infants that she will carry around a doll of hers patting it's back saying honey, honey.

I guess they let her in the infant room sometimes. She's baby crazy (she's 23 months old) :3:

That is so precious!! I think daycare is a net positive for my little guy too. My husband and I don’t really have any help from family so it’s good for him to just be around other people. It helped me realize that we just can’t teach him everything…he absorbs so much more being around others. Like last night he started making some very deliberate looking hand motions we had never seen before and we were like holy poo poo, he’s learning some sign language!