Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Jack doesn't interrupt Neon's story about Chaos. He lets her finish and then stands there silent for 5 full seconds before he says "bullshit". He's not being misogynistic he's calling out bullshit.

And as others have said, 5 seconds later he accepts her with a fistbump. He just doesn't buy the story that Chaos is a fairy tale. He does the exact same thing to the king who is a man.

Please stop making up stupid bullshit lies to reinforce your dislike for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jack is an rear end in a top hat, not a misogynist.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The "...bullshit. *plays Limp Bizkit*" moment is actually sort of a pep talk moment.

Neon's whole spiel is about how she was initially on a similar Chaos-killing quest as Jack, but got disillusioned and stopped believing the world can be saved by singular heroic acts. Chaos as a source of all evil isn't real, the world isn't that simple, and the whole boss fight was an elaborate form of suicide on her part

Jack being utterly dismissive of this is followed by his own assertion that no, Satan is real and we're totally gonna beat him up, your questing wasn't in vain.

Now we know that in actual reality, Neon is right and there aren't easy simple solutions to big systemic problems. I can't fix global warming by going on an epic quest to beat up an Exxon executive. But we also know that this is a loving Final Fantasy game, so Jack is probably ALSO right about there being an actual Chaos that is the source of all evil and you could in theory just kill. The tension is in seeing which viewpoint wins out.

By the end of that scene at least, Neon seems willing to entertain Jack's notion by joining his party and seeing if he can actually produce a single God of Evil that you can just stab and not have to literally turn yourself into a despair elemental thinking about the larger issues in the world and how better things really aren't possible.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Is there a thread for Stranger of Paradise?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

E: ^^^ Honestly you’re probably looking at it, unless someone wants to make one! I can also add some SoP poo poo to the OP if the game is good and/or funny enough for me to overcome my supreme laziness. But it doesn’t drop on PC until like Friday.

If I recall correctly, he drops the bullshit retort and then they, I guess, walk out of that entire dungeon without saying a single word because only at that point do they start talking further.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The game is great if you are into the idea of Nioh, but it has a cool job system and then someone sprayed a nonsense amount of Final Fantasy fan service all over it.

There’s no coherence to the plot, just accept it going in.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

VanillaGorilla posted:

There’s no coherence to the plot, just accept it going in.

So it’s a Final Fantasy plot, then

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

HD DAD posted:

So it’s a Final Fantasy plot, then

Probably one of the better ones, tbh. Definitely better than XIII!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

VanillaGorilla posted:

Fight fate chaos

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Chaos is real and he is my friend mortal enemy.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Played the 4th stage with Tyrant that I pre-farmed in the demo. Goddamn Tyrant kicks so much rear end.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

HD DAD posted:

Chaos is real and he is my friend mortal enemy.

He is my mortal enemy, too. Fist me, bro

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

VanillaGorilla posted:

Absolutely wont have to go digging in the datalog to figure out why Chaos is bad and why Jack must kill Chaos. I'm unironically on board with this.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Doesn't he literally cut off a woman's plea about the nature of the conflict with 'bullshit', and then blaring Limp Bizkit from his phone?

I'm pretty sure people shared that around and called it hilarious. Personally I was more interested in what she was saying than his response, so I wasn't a fan.

What she was saying was even dumber than his bit. She thinks chaos isn't real so she became a fake chaos so someone would kill her and maybe that would make people feel better.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Apparently there's a secret 28th job called Cyclic Warrior that's basically Freelancer, can use all weapon types. Not sure what else it can pull out of its sleeve though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What she was saying was even dumber than his bit. She thinks chaos isn't real so she became a fake chaos so someone would kill her and maybe that would make people feel better.

"Bullshit" is the only rational response to that especially dumb monologue she was giving at the time. Jack is a total bro to her afterwards.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If anything Jack has the patience of a saint for letting her do her entire monologue what with how it's based on a completely false premise.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ibblebibble posted:

Apparently there's a secret 28th job called Cyclic Warrior that's basically Freelancer, can use all weapon types. Not sure what else it can pull out of its sleeve though.

Glad to see Freelancer pop up so so can get real weird with it.

I always liked making weirdo poo poo in Bravely Default/FF5/FF3.

Lategame weapons that also boost magic were always a huge boon.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's not *actually* a Limp Bizkit song is it? I couldn't get Shazam going in time to ID it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's not *actually* a Limp Bizkit song is it? I couldn't get Shazam going in time to ID it.

It's an original song, it's just got a similar nu-metal feel to Limp Bizkit.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I hope it turns out to be a Primals song then

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I can’t wait to get home from work so I can download SoP and then kill Chaos

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the genuine answer is "They are all genuinely lovely gatcha money grabs" with I think Brave Ex being the least lovely of the lovely money grabs. If you mean stuff like Final Fantasy Dimensions then it still amounts to "FFD is the only one worth playing."

You are absolutely 100% wrong on this. FF Brave Exvius is one of the worst offenders in terms of lovely money grabs and War of the Visions (by the same company) is even worse.

The best Final Fantasy mobile game is SaGa Re:Universe. :colbert:

Cleretic posted:

Doesn't he literally cut off a woman's plea about the nature of the conflict with 'bullshit', and then blaring Limp Bizkit from his phone?

No. You consistently see what you want to see, not what's actually happening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

It isn't really Freelancer. it is built around spending max MP to do huge damage. Your base skill let's you use one of four elemental attacks and you can unlock a variation of Lightbringer that is more powerful but eats all your MP. There are other jobs that can use all weapons

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't really Freelancer. it is built around spending max MP to do huge damage. Your base skill let's you use one of four elemental attacks and you can unlock a variation of Lightbringer that is more powerful but eats all your MP. There are other jobs that can use all weapons

drat, that kicks rear end. I'm probably sticking with Tyrant/X for a while though. It's just so fun. I unlocked a weaponskill called Double Dragon Combo and it just trashes everything. Tears through your MP like crazy though.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
The pugilist class or whatever is hilarious because Jack can combo people from the end of one room to another like he’s a Tekken character

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MechaX posted:

The pugilist class or whatever is hilarious because Jack can combo people from the end of one room to another like he’s a Tekken character

I actually really like that the base jobs still have unique mechanics that give a reason to stick with them over advanced/expert jobs.

Swordsman - spin2win
Swordfighter - autocounter
Duelist - guaranteed crit
Lancer - lance yeet
Pugilist - explosive fist spam
Marauder - big smash
Mage - gains mp while charging
Ronin - iaigiri bullshit

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

How does White Mage work? Does it deal its own damage or is it more "hang back and keep your party healed and let them do the damage"?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ibblebibble posted:

It's an original song, it's just got a similar nu-metal feel to Limp Bizkit.

It should've been Crazy Chocobo and you know it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

How does White Mage work? Does it deal its own damage or is it more "hang back and keep your party healed and let them do the damage"?

You still have to hit poo poo with your mace to get your MP back. You have Holy/Dia at the very least, but yeah just mace-to-face stuff. You inherit your Mage mace weaponskills and WHM has a few of its own.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It gets Holy, The Ultimate White Magic

As of now until I unlock the Advanced jobs I think I'm gonna main DRG and have WHM as secondary, it's good in two-phase boss fights since you can just heal and buff up while they're waiting for you to hit the prompt lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Might check it out then, tbh I like the Mage weaponskills way more than the actual spells.

The Aero weaponskill seems like it has major potential for job-switch big combos since it's like a 2-second stunlock on the enemy.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It should've been Crazy Chocobo and you know it.

The Happy Turtle track in the FF7R Yuffie DLC was done by the same band/composer as Crazy Chocobo in 13-2 right

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It deals a lot of damage but also has Haste which as you can imagine is good with everything.

Sage however is my go to for hilarious magic poo poo. You swap between Black and White magic with a button press and if you cast 3 of each then you get a free cast of Ultima which is godlike

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Do you have the full game already... or did I miss Sage in the demo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Do you have the full game already... or did I miss Sage in the demo

I reviewed it, yes

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/PowerfulHag/status/1503409052365197315?t=EQsjSVLHVFVq2PhlaEaY7g&s=19

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my only concern having just finished the latest demo is it feels way easier than the demo before was, even on Hard mode

I of course already have it preordered anyway though

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Decided to go through the other weapons I havent used much and I don't know what R1 -> down on L stick + R1 is supposed to do when it hits during an enemy attack but as far as I can tell it's "lovely upswing with zero range and you will eat the hit so do literally anything else you moron."

e: Nevermind, it finally did the actual counter which I guess is useful if it works off of every R1 attack and not just the first in your combo and if you don't have the gauge to absorb the attack instead.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What I remember from Nioh 1 (i shamefully haven't gotten around to 2 yet) was that the demos were super backbreaking, but in the actual game the main story missions were pretty straightforward, and they saved the punishing challenges for side missions.

I really liked the challenge at the end of the SOPFFO second demo, boss rush was tense lol