Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The other part Russia wanted (and is most certainly not getting now) is demilitarization of Ukraine. Good luck getting that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

I thought the Russian Submarine corps was actually fairly competent?

Submarines yes, you’re correct. I was thinking about naval infantry specifically, maybe generalising to surface boats that aren’t their Coastal Guard.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol naval invasion of Odessa. How can these Nazis be so hubris to think that will actually work? I mean you aren't being dropped on the shore. Your being dropped in probably knee high water under ATGM MG and tank fire and have to swim to shore. Morales already at a 0% for the naval troops.. maybe that's why they are ordering this. To kill the dissenters by forcing them into combat with Ukrainians.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Tigey posted:

Wasting precious manpower and logistical capacity on chopping down trees and transporting the wood (which isn't a hugely valuable trade good by volume I assume) out of the country, when you are already struggling with both, seems like a great idea.

Either 1) army so looted it has to literally go around Moscow to procure funds to buy poo poo.
2) someone decided to get while the getting was good and institute looting before the whole thing collapses and they get purged
3) let's create mud pits and landslides on our own positions. To own the libs.

The problem is Russia is a lumber exporter so they likely already have a glut as half their export market is gone. Rail and truck bodies for lumber are also single purpose so :rubby: on logistics issues of this plan.

Personally I think number 3. It's captain planet level anti environmental terrorism.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

PerilPastry posted:

Zelensky seems to acknowledge that NATO's open door policy is a mirage. To the Russians would codifying a decision not to apply for membership in, say, the Ukrainian constitution be enough of a guarantee for the "neutral status" they're so eager to impose on them?

https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status/1503740292083884042?s=20&t=VBGRojZtrwOzI7f3uwLqUw

Referendums and constitutional amendments need time and legitimacy of process that Russia does not view as priorities. You can't just say in a treaty that another country's constitution has been amended.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

To me it seems more like lost in translation recognition that they can't just walk into NATO tomorrow, that there's a long and potentially difficult process ahead of them to make it happen, not that it's an impossible tease
Honestly, between this and earlier statements I think it's exactly the "it's an impossible tease" position he's arrived at

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220308-in-nod-to-russia-ukraine-says-no-longer-insisting-on-nato-membership

""I have cooled down regarding this question a long time ago after we understood that ... NATO is not prepared to accept Ukraine," Zelensky said in an interview aired Monday night on ABC News.

"The alliance is afraid of controversial things, and confrontation with Russia," the president added."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barrel Cactaur posted:

The problem is Russia is a lumber exporter so they likely already have a glut as half their export market is gone. Rail and truck bodies for lumber are also single purpose so :rubby: on logistics issues of this plan.

And I'm assuming those lumber trucks are already well armoured against light artillery fire, yes?

Hmmm, to shreds you say?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

How big are the trees in Ukraine? Do they have chainsaws?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Cortés promised his soldiers the bounty of new world gold, lands, and wealth; Putin has promised his conscripts a glorious bounty of pine and birch logs for the invasion of Ukraine.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Failed Imagineer posted:

And I'm assuming those lumber trucks are already well armoured against light artillery fire, yes?

Hmmm, to shreds you say?

If you can get your artillery ranged for the back lines where this is happening you have infinitely better targets than lumbertrucks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

I thought the Russian Submarine corps was actually fairly competent?

Maybe but they're not particularly useful for amphibious assaults.

dr_rat posted:

Also those logging trucks are 100% going to get stuck in the mud. Some lucky farmers with tractors are going to get just a whole bunch of fire wood I guess.

Good for them.

Maybe they had drivers playing Spintires to prepare

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Speaking of the competency of the Russian navy. Never not a good time to re-post the infamous voyage of the Russian fleet during the Russo-Japanese war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mdi_Fh9_Ag

Hopefully their navy has not improved much in the last 117 years.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Can you take down a tree with a grenade? ...asking for a friend.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 15, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Telsa Cola posted:

If you can get your artillery ranged for the back lines where this is happening you have infinitely better targets than lumbertrucks.

I don't know if that would reassure me much if I were in that position, but then again "Russian lumberjack" does not suggest to me a person with a huge fear of personal injury

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

TheBuilder posted:

Cortés promised his soldiers the bounty of new world gold, lands, and wealth; Putin has promised his conscripts a glorious bounty of pine and birch logs for the invasion of Ukraine.

These 50 foot long tables are resource intensive.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PerilPastry posted:

Honestly, between this and earlier statements I think it's exactly the "it's an impossible tease" position he's arrived at

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220308-in-nod-to-russia-ukraine-says-no-longer-insisting-on-nato-membership

""I have cooled down regarding this question a long time ago after we understood that ... NATO is not prepared to accept Ukraine," Zelensky said in an interview aired Monday night on ABC News.

"The alliance is afraid of controversial things, and confrontation with Russia," the president added."

NATO has always been cool to Ukraine's membership due to its internal corruption problems. Its accession was always a long ways off and was going to require a fair amount of internal restructuring to the Ukrainian government and economy before they were going to be let in.

Zelenskyy was trying to use the invasion to short-circuit a lot of that and try to make it happen much sooner. NATO is just sticking to their original timetable and not cutting corners.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

They are tree sized and yes, of course. :confused:

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

PerilPastry posted:

Zelensky seems to acknowledge that NATO's open door policy is a mirage. To the Russians would codifying a decision not to apply for membership in, say, the Ukrainian constitution be enough of a guarantee for the "neutral status" they're so eager to impose on them?

The Russian people would be ecstatic about the war ending with 'mission accomplished' and Ukrainian constitutional change to prevent them from joining NATO. But I'm very sure that is not enough for Putin. Ukraine would also likely only agree if Ukraine is allowed to have a military, does not cede territory, can join the EU if it wishes and can choose their own government. Those terms will de facto mean that Ukraine becomes aligned with the EU (to join once the years of bureaucracy and integration are complete), has global economic integration, gets massive international economic aid and subsidies to arm and equipment the military so it could easy smash Russia in a round 2 (even if not part of NATO). That's exactly the kind of neighbor state Putin does not want.

And that remains the problem - any peace acceptable to Ukraine (ie non-subjugation) is unacceptable to Putin, as a non-subjugated Ukraine means he doesn't get a second chance and he will have humiliated Russia before the entire world.

I still think China will backstab him once they figure out he will be a (crazy) ball and chain on their plans for global economic integration and increased international influence. Chinese has no need for an unstable mad dog. If Putin stays in power in a weakened and unstable Russia, things might fall apart in a way that threatens Chinese stability. I think China has already given Putin a deadline - and if doesn't make it by then, he retires to his villainous palace-lair, or China pulls the rug out under him. Depending on how brutal the CCP are in this, they might even have told him who he is allowed to pick as a successor. Chinese marshall plan for Russia follows - with Chinese officials and companies integrating into Russian administration and state-run companies. The Russian Communist Party suddenly becomes really popular - and the Russian Federation becomes a vassal state of China.

Sorry for the fanfic, but I think that scenario should at least be considered by the US and Europe. The deeper Putin digs a hole for himself, the more China will own him. I'm sure the inner circle in Russia know this too, and if they off him, I suspect would not be out of altruism, panic over sanctions or even hunger for power. It would be to avoid becoming completely dependent on China to a degree that China not merely gets Russian resources for rubles on the yuan, but where they can impose a soft occupation of the country. "Oh no riots in Vladivostok, and the Russian forces are busy in Ukraine - we better move in and stabilize things."

This whole 'Z' bullshit isn't something Beijing is going to accept. I'd put 70 cent on the dollar on the hyper-capitalist prediction markets (those do exist) in regards to a (CCP-controlled) Communist Russia within 20 years.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

mutata posted:

They are tree sized and yes, of course. :confused:

Just thinking that it takes a lot more time to cut, say, a redwood than a regular pine tree.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The Daily Beast just put out an article about Russian Media coverage of the war over the past week. I know it likely doesn't mean too much regarding Putin's policy, but I think it's interesting to see how they're spinning things internally
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1503702421322833924?s=20&t=WAvQqERFdxAQeg8tHZ6n2w
Article: https://www.thedailybeast.com/wild-kremlin-tv-hosts-threaten-the-us-with-nuclear-strikes-unless-sanctions-end-and-reparations-are-paid
Selected quotes - they're talking mass executions for the Ukrainian resistance now

quote:

In recent days, Russian state television regressed from Orwellian lies to Kafkaesque nightmares, as pundits started to promote the idea of executing Ukrainians resisting Putin’s war of aggression by hanging. They noted that the so-called “constitution” of the rogue “republics” created in Ukraine by Russian forces conveniently allows for the death penalty. Last Thursday on The Evening With Vladimir Soloviev, after listening to other pundits and experts endorse the idea of executing Ukrainian citizens by hanging, doctor of political sciences Elena G. Ponomareva argued: "Never let morality prevent you from undertaking correct actions. I understand the importance of a humanitarian component... but morality shouldn't get in the way."

Sunday’s Vesti Nedeli hosted by Dmitry Kiselyov continued the theme of public hangings, broadcasting the scenes from the public execution of German Nazi soldiers on Kyiv’s Independence Square in 1946. The segment was entitled “Denazification of Ukraine—the new opportunities for growth” and appeared to serve as a tool to desensitize the Russian population for the grotesque war trials and executions the Kremlin is reportedly planning to conduct in Ukraine, perhaps in the same public square captured in the historical video.

And some of the hosts are spinning fantasies about 'war reparations' from the US, including claiming Alaska back, using nuclear strikes as a threat

quote:

Reciting the list of Russia’s future demands during Soloviev’s show, Matveychev became even more brazen: “We should be thinking about reparations from the damage that was caused by the sanctions and the war itself, because that too costs money and we should get it back. The return of all Russian properties, those of the Russian empire, the Soviet Union and current Russia, which has been seized in the United States, and so on.”

The host chimed in to ask: “Are you including Alaska and Fort Ross?”

Matveychev nodded: “That was my next point. As well as the Antarctic... We discovered it, so it belongs to us...
[...]
Soloviev asked: “Does your list include a tactical nuclear strike, or are we going straight for the strategic one?”

Matveychev pompously scoffed, “What for? We can take them down without it.”

On Monday, Soloviev revisited the topic of nuclear blackmail, perhaps blinded by rage after the recent seizure of his two Italian villas. He said: “I still think that those who took our money should be told, you have 24 hours to unfreeze our funds, or else we’ll send you what you know we’ve got. Your choice. Tactical or strategic, take a pick. You took our money, you’re the thieves, our talk is short with you: a bullet to the head.”

Very cool and regular things to say on primetime television when your show is all but only game in town in Russia

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

sell the wood to whom exactly

also logging: famously an easy task that requires little logistical support

Clearly the plan is to spray a zwastika on each felled tree to trick Ukrainian farmers to haul it away to an undefended location where the VDV can steal them.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Speaking of prediction - I really feel like Lukashenko is overvalued on prediction markets. PredictIt has him at 91 cents (to the dollar) for being the President all of 2022. That's the same odds given to Boris Johnson for staying PM through May. Putin rest of 2022 is at 79 cents. Sweden and/or Finland joining NATO in 2022 is at 38 cents.

Those markets are not terribly accurate at prediction (as investors can sell their bet 'shares', the price cannot be considered a true estimate of probabilities, but rather an amalgam of probability, volatility and time horizon). But they do still give an insight into how actors on the financial markets expect events to unfold.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
From what I have always heard and read the Russian Navy was always considered to be something of a joke, even in Soviet times. At their best they dealt with poor equipment, training and morale. They were always looked as the last priority as the Army and then Air Force got the lion's share of the money and focus. The Submariners were generally the best of what was available but that doesn't mean much and considering what we have seen with the rest of the Russian military I wonder what the condition and capabilities of the big SSBNs are now. The Boreis are new but as we have seen that doesn't mean much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PederP posted:

Speaking of prediction - I really feel like Lukashenko is overvalued on prediction markets. PredictIt has him at 91 cents (to the dollar) for being the President all of 2022. That's the same odds given to Boris Johnson for staying PM through May. Putin rest of 2022 is at 79 cents. Sweden and/or Finland joining NATO in 2022 is at 38 cents.

Those markets are not terribly accurate at prediction (as investors can sell their bet 'shares', the price cannot be considered a true estimate of probabilities, but rather an amalgam of probability, volatility and time horizon). But they do still give an insight into how actors on the financial markets expect events to unfold.

i think Lukashenko gets punted as does kadyof once the poo poo starts to unravel. either through rebellion/rivals or kremlin poo poo. idk what happens to putin, depends how big the implosion is.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

Russians decided they liked the orc nickname and should adopt their culture as their own
https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1503694724657553413?t=0Hp6ony9TY5WMdd6FtWOAw&s=19

There's a direct line from the Orange Revolution to the Russians using Agent Orange.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think Lukashenko gets punted as does kadyof once the poo poo starts to unravel. either through rebellion/rivals or kremlin poo poo. idk what happens to putin, depends how big the implosion is.

Speaking of Lukashenka
https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1503751361946693641?t=GReRYScUlAoJQllq1zdN2w&s=19
No word on if there was a Belarusian general standing directly behind him with a hand conspicuously in his jacket during this statement

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

Speaking of Lukashenka
https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1503751361946693641?t=GReRYScUlAoJQllq1zdN2w&s=19
No word on if there was a Belarusian general standing directly behind him with a hand conspicuously in his jacket during this statement

yeah, either putin cleans house during this or after the horror show or the general decided to "do it".

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Just following the tracks of well-known military genius and successful leader Saruman the White.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'm not gonna shed too many tears if Kadyrov falls off a balcony, he's one of the worst human beings on the planet.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Eric Cantonese posted:

Clearly they are fully equipped and trained for logging. This thread has gone too long without a video game analogy so...

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

KitConstantine posted:

The Daily Beast just put out an article about Russian Media coverage of the war over the past week. I know it likely doesn't mean too much regarding Putin's policy, but I think it's interesting to see how they're spinning things internally
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1503702421322833924?s=20&t=WAvQqERFdxAQeg8tHZ6n2w
Article: https://www.thedailybeast.com/wild-kremlin-tv-hosts-threaten-the-us-with-nuclear-strikes-unless-sanctions-end-and-reparations-are-paid
Selected quotes - they're talking mass executions for the Ukrainian resistance now

And some of the hosts are spinning fantasies about 'war reparations' from the US, including claiming Alaska back, using nuclear strikes as a threat

Very cool and regular things to say on primetime television when your show is all but only game in town in Russia
This is all just propaganda right

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zero_Grade posted:

Just following the tracks of well-known military genius and successful leader Saruman the White.

I'm not gonna shed too many tears if Kadyrov falls off a balcony, he's one of the worst human beings on the planet.

yeah he either goes out like Beria or he goes out like Gadhafi. either is deserved.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PederP posted:

Sorry for the fanfic, but I think that scenario should at least be considered by the US and Europe. The deeper Putin digs a hole for himself, the more China will own him. I'm sure the inner circle in Russia know this too, and if they off him, I suspect would not be out of altruism, panic over sanctions or even hunger for power. It would be to avoid becoming completely dependent on China to a degree that China not merely gets Russian resources for rubles on the yuan, but where they can impose a soft occupation of the country. "Oh no riots in Vladivostok, and the Russian forces are busy in Ukraine - we better move in and stabilize things."

The thing about whole "Russia controlled by China" thing is that Russian racism would likely make it politically unacceptable. Russia wants to be respected by Europe and wants their Europeaness (how do you spell that?) acknowledged. Ukraine is kinda similar, but Ukrainian goal is more "we want to live like Poland" while Russia is more "we want to be like France and swing our national dick around a lot".

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TheBuilder posted:

Well they do need more logs to replace all their cope cages.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Willo567 posted:

Yep, but it's still interesting to see what the government sees as useful to have blasted into the eyeballs of the Russian people imo

They didn't bother spinning up the manufacturing consent machine prior to the war, and now it's working overtime.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Willo567 posted:

If you think they think that the US will ever cede a state to Russia then I recommend a walk outside. I don't mean that in a joking way, getting too deep into this stuff is bound to distort your sense of reality (that's one of the reasons Russia pumps out this poo poo!), but there is no possible timeline where that happens.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Deteriorata posted:

NATO has always been cool to Ukraine's membership due to its internal corruption problems. Its accession was always a long ways off and was going to require a fair amount of internal restructuring to the Ukrainian government and economy before they were going to be let in.

Zelenskyy was trying to use the invasion to short-circuit a lot of that and try to make it happen much sooner. NATO is just sticking to their original timetable and not cutting corners.

It always seemed obvious that NATO membership was at best a decade+ away if it was ever possible. If someone gave the Ukrainian government the impression that it would be fast tracked or there was some weird trick to it then that is a monumental error in diplomacy.

The US is never going to say it can't happen because it would essentially codify Russia's sphere of influence leaving open the question of who else has dominion over their smaller neighbors and how do we get a signed piece of paper to that effect. Like Mongolia is by virtue of population size and geography entirely at the mercy of China and nobody can do anything to stop them from rolling in there tomorrow. Regardless, even if that is the reality of things, the US isn't going to sign a treaty that declares Mongolia a subject of China. It's simply not a sensible approach to geopolitics.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

Certainly, but I'm wondering how many in the West will advocate handing over everything back just in case they're serious

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

KitConstantine posted:

Speaking of Lukashenka

Obviously you have to take all these statements with a punch of salt, but if he's genuine and his remarks are directed at the military then it would suggest there's some truth to the rumours of units mutinying at being told to go into Ukraine.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

OddObserver posted:

The thing about whole "Russia controlled by China" thing is that Russian racism would likely make it politically unacceptable. Russia wants to be respected by Europe and wants their Europeaness (how do you spell that?) acknowledged. Ukraine is kinda similar, but Ukrainian goal is more "we want to live like Poland" while Russia is more "we want to be like France and swing our national dick around a lot".

Someone should have told them that being respected by Europe would be a lot easier if they weren't a bunch of murdering dickbags.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Willo567 posted:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Tomn posted:

This is just petty, Christ. Either that or it's the stupidest plan to cut down on tank ambushes ever.

Not to say that this is in any way a feasible plan, but do we have any environmentalists in here who can speak to the environmental degradation that might result from the kind of large-scale deforestation they're talking about here?

First, this seems like translation error or just straight up bullshit. This is labour and resource intensive work, which a net exporter of timber and lumber products knows perfectly well.

Let's assume it's true, at some level. Ukraine has a bit under 100 000 square kilometers of forest. I assume 33 % of that would be under threat based on Stetson-Harrison method. Ecology and biodiversity -wise that would be anything from bad to catastrophic, depending on age structure of the forests. Aside from destroying habitats and connectivity, the potential extinction debt this incurs on large parts of Southern Eurasian steppe is significant. I do not think this is what people really care about in a war.

Deforested areas without active land use are very difficult to travel (and control). We're speaking of just "fell trees, go away" approach, which does not lead to some wonderful open plains where no one can shoot you from a bush; instead, it will be all bush. It will increase erosion and make travel more difficult. Flooding would locally become prevalent.

That's more than the annual deforestation of Russia, but only under 1 % of Russian forestry area. Assuming something like 60 year harvest rotation (completely out of my rear end), this means that to log, transport and harvest this 33 000 square kilometers in a year requires a 50 % increase in Russian forestry capacity, including transport and processing.

OK, maybe they just burn them down or fell them with no purpose then destruction? Curiously, this may actually have a positive net impact on certain endangered taxa (negative on others, and I am not going to assess the Ukrainian Red List), and militarywise this again is stupid since you're just making the terrain you hold a desolate, muddy wasteland for a few years. edit: I got it. You fell major trees for ????, burn the rest, and restore more steppe! Saiga antelope renaissance will be here soon.

I would normally call this bullshit, but now I hedge my bets and say there's a non-insignificant chance it's just stupidity.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 15, 2022