Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Oldest Man posted:

CDC should base the community level guidance on 7-day average of posts calling for the covid thread to be shut down

My metric for the next wave is 3 weeks after my work relaxes protocols.

They're relaxing them next Monday :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

when I peak--

--everybody in the ER is gonna feel it.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

can anyone link me to a reputable black N95?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thesaurus posted:

whoa buddy, let's keep the stereotypes out of this thread

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

One of the reasons the EPA exists is because air pollution directly causes heart disease

We’re shooting back to 1910 and both parties are actively complicit

This is unfair.

In 1910, the FDA had passionate people working for it. This was four years after the Poison Squad forced Congress to create the FDA.

quote:

The goal of the Poison Squad was simple: they were tasked with trying some of the most commonly used food additives in order to determine their effects. During each of the poison squads trials, the members would eat steadily increasing amounts of each additive, carefully tracking the impact that it had on their bodies. They would stop when the members started to get sick.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

https://accumed.com/bnx-n95-mask-ni...h95w-black.html

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

This is unfair.

In 1910, the FDA had passionate people working for it. This was four years after the Poison Squad forced Congress to create the FDA.

Wow coo-

quote:

There was one more rule: although many of the most prominent food crusaders were women, squad members had to be men. An outspoken misogynist, Dr. Wiley was prone to referring to women as "savages," claiming that they lacked "the brain capacity" of men. His staff was similarly inclined: when the program replaced Chef Perry with a female cook, one worker griped that ladies were not fit for cooking — or poisoning. "A woman! Tut, tut. Why the very idea!," he reportedly said, "A woman can potter around a domestic hearth, but when it comes to frying eggs in a scientific mode and putting formaldehyde in the soup -- never."

lmao every t ime

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Thesaurus posted:

i haven't had any luck finding actual N95s in any color other than white. 3M makes a dark grey reusable that looks like an aura (3M™ Daily Face Mask, Reusable) but the product page specifically says not a respirator and that's the best one i've found so far lol

here's the product info page though but again, not a respirator:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/cbgblrus1523/

edit: ignore my post, in the time it took me to make a useless post some other goon made an actual useful post

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Also available at Home Depot.

Edit: Oh hey! They have the boat-style BNX N95 at Home Depot too. This is a really good 3M Aura alternative if you find that mask a bit too tight.

:siren: Stock up here if you don't want to buy them on Amazon!

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 16, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Charlie drat near breaks there. I don't know how Kaitlin kept it together

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Republicans trying to pass legislation to prevent the Dept of Ed from ever pausing student loan payments again. They say we need to get inflation under control. Good to know that if young people aren't being crushed by usurious debts the economy shoots into stratospheric inflation and chaos.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Koirhor posted:

whats the definition of insanity again?

It’s appreciating masks.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Strep Vote posted:

Quick calculations tell me that 32,000 people have died of covid in the united states since I made this post. That's really depressing.
loving hell

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
wrap it up, Danes. y'all are fine and not dying the wrong way

https://twitter.com/M_B_Petersen/status/1503844201427001345?t=spTMGPzZm7GNIk5iDBbirw&s=19

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I'm dragging dirt everywhere

To quote someone else:

Carl Lee Hailey posted:

Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

Call me elitist, but I don’t think that non-medical doctors (DOs count too) should be giving out medical information while calling themselves “Dr.” whatever. I realize that PhDs are doctors, but his PhD is in loving nursing education.

I hate Campbell, but I will die on this hill.

Philosophers had “doctor” first. People who practice medicine should get their own title. :colbert:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Horseshoe theory posted:

To quote someone else:

*posts you can hear*

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Platystemon posted:

Philosophers had “doctor” first. People who practice medicine should get their own title. :colbert:

Chirugeons

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mdemone posted:

Charlie drat near breaks there. I don't know how Kaitlin kept it together

you'll notice the jump cut from showing only Dennis's face for most of it to showing their faces at the end. he was probably grinning like an idiot through that monologue and you just can't see it so they didn't need to do another take

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Cup Runneth Over posted:

you'll notice the jump cut from showing only Dennis's face for most of it to showing their faces at the end. he was probably grinning like an idiot through that monologue and you just can't see it so they didn't need to do another take

I'm about to take you to the qcs drama thread over this absurd baseless radicalizing conspiracy theory

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I cackle every time because I think about how much fun that had to be

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my kid's school now lets the children take their masks off for recess but my kid keeps his on.

today he told me that he and his other masked friend play a game called "zombies" on the playground where they avoid all the maskless kids as if they are infected.

lmao

Where’s the game? :confused:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Platystemon posted:

body mechanics

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

searching the day’s Chinese case numbers and it’s literally just two tweets from random accounts linking to the direct source. this same time yesterday there was wall to wall coverage from media outlets lusting for Chinese death and gloating about Covid zero failing. wonder if the silence is bc it’s just too early or if it’s bc good news from China isn’t newsworthy

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol if the western press and talking heads are utterly humiliated by china stopping covid quickly, again

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

FrancisFukyomama posted:

searching the day’s Chinese case numbers and it’s literally just two tweets from random accounts linking to the direct source. this same time yesterday there was wall to wall coverage from media outlets lusting for Chinese death and gloating about Covid zero failing. wonder if the silence is bc it’s just too early or if it’s bc good news from China isn’t newsworthy

I still don't get why people are flipping out. the jhcrc numbers show cases and deaths have already peaked in China

lock downs could still gently caress things up in general, but it looks like China is doing better than everyone else against ba.2.*

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

new AJ letter for the ides of march
https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1503858612229312520?s=20&t=kyn7I_6hD9adsH9IntgQ_w

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Loucks posted:

You’re misinterpreting me. Fly Molo keeps posting about how the big bad mods are going to do ~something~ that will somehow destroy the thread or something. I’m saying that’s nonsense.

fine, since you asked so nicely and repeatedly

Dreylad posted:

That is true, and has been a problem for a long time. It's an easy way to troll a thread into acting like a hostile hivemind, though.

Dreylad posted:

The thread desperately needs a refresh. I'm not trying to crush the thread culture or anything (although I frankly think some of the stuff posting here isn't good or healthy) but it needs a restart and it needs some thread stewards.

Azathoth posted:

some hosed up stuff went down in here, a little trolling is a thing that happens sometimes after that. that said we're here talking with everyone about what's going to happen next, and to be clear, after a reboot we're going to try to keep things as COVID focused as possible.

Azathoth posted:

one idea that's been floated is avoiding a lot of the information overshare of stuff beyond covid that leads to people becoming thread Main Characters, which never ends well

Azathoth posted:

Okay, we're going to try to get the thread back on track again, let's bring posting back to COVID related topics here now. If you're gonna post in the thread here, please engage with what the other person is saying and not the thread hivemind or whether or not someone is mad.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...

Playtime is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uW47jWLMiY

Azathoth posted:

Real talk: you all got some light trolling for a couple days because someone who seems to have basically been the thread mascot brained a loving dog with a brick and then came onto the internet to tell everyone about it. It was really loving weird the way everyone around here acted, so yeah you got some light trolling over it. I get that all of you don't see anything weird about what happened but that's not the average view.

in summary: "this thread has been a problem for a while, its thread culture needs adjusting, it's a hostile hivemind, and FTC was the thread mascot. we're going to reboot it, keep it on a tighter leash, stop posters from oversharing/venting, and make sure it stays tightly focused on debating the points people making and sharing only relevant data."

which is the same dumb attitude the mods have regarding the d&d thread. there, it results in lots of "that's not relevant, that's a pre-print, that's just fear-mongering, don't post that" which is why their thread is pretty dead most of the time.

but fine, fair enough. i'll keep my scorn in check until they proceed with their next half-assed megathread 'fix' :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Loucks posted:

I mean I took her post at face value when I first skimmed it and said something like “that sucks glad you’re OK.” When people pointed out it was really bad I reevaluated my reaction and stopped defending the bad post. Just something to consider.

The first post just dropped the dog incident as a non‐sequitur.

It was literally just “was attacked by dogs and killed one”, dropped as part of a list of things she did, in‐between gardening and cooking.

“That sucks glad you’re OK” was an understandable response to that.

It took several posts for the details that made the whole situation questionable to come out, like the dogs never breaking skin, supposedly kicking one twenty feet, and “playtime is over”.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Feb 26 all-deaths are still only halfway complete. This is a very bad sign for approximately four reasons

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DoombatINC posted:

putting a diced red pepper on my sixteen inch stuffed crust pepperoni pie and acting like now it's a balanced meal

edit: wrong thread but still mmmmm

You’re skewing the wastewater statistics that use the concentration of pepper plant mild mottle virus as a control. :nsamad:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 16, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Republicans trying to pass legislation to prevent the Dept of Ed from ever pausing student loan payments again. They say we need to get inflation under control. Good to know that if young people aren't being crushed by usurious debts the economy shoots into stratospheric inflation and chaos.

It's a lie. The lion's share of inflation in FY22 stems from record corporate profits.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

You’re skewing the wastewater statistics that use the concentration of pepper plant mosaic virus as a control. :nsamad:

so the feds just need to start dumping tons of peppers in the sewer and voila, no more wastewater spike

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thoguh posted:

We are like one month past when they finally acknowledged that N95s are good, actually and COVID is beyond over and is never going to be acknowledged again no matter how bad a future wave gets it is insane.

No way we get approvals for infant EUAs at this point. if anything it’s more likely they withdraw the existing EUAs for 5-11 year olds.

I’ve been saying this for over a year now, but it started as a joke: your kid will age into the vaccine approval range before the vaccine is approved for his current age group.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fly Molo posted:

in summary: "this thread has been a problem for a while, its thread culture needs adjusting, it's a hostile hivemind, and FTC was the thread mascot. we're going to reboot it, keep it on a tighter leash, stop posters from oversharing/venting, and make sure it stays tightly focused on debating the points people making and sharing only relevant data."

which is the same dumb attitude the mods have regarding the d&d thread. there, it results in lots of "that's not relevant, that's a pre-print, that's just fear-mongering, don't post that" which is why their thread is pretty dead most of the time.

but fine, fair enough. i'll keep my scorn in check until they proceed with their next half-assed megathread 'fix' :)

for real this thread did nothing wrong and "rebooting it" with more "stewards" would be the worst possible thing you could do. people already get probed for becoming main characters (if a bit later than would be ideal sometimes), the thread is 80% statistics and news and 20% joker laughing when it's not being flooded with trolls, what is there to fix? it's a non-issue made up by qcs karens and always has been

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Platystemon posted:

I’ve been saying this for over a year now, but it started as a joke: your kid will age into the vaccine approval range before the vaccine is approved for his current age group.

that's definitely what happened with my newly minted five year old.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Platystemon posted:

honestly i think this is the government plan on this front. "eh, they can only complain about it for so many years"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Platystemon posted:

got some bad news for you on multiple fronts... new children are created every day

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cup Runneth Over posted:

for real this thread did nothing wrong and "rebooting it" with more "stewards" would be the worst possible thing you could do. people already get probed for becoming main characters (if a bit later than would be ideal sometimes), the thread is 80% statistics and news and 20% joker laughing when it's not being flooded with trolls, what is there to fix? it's a non-issue made up by qcs karens and always has been

thread got DDoSed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

fosborb posted:

we are letting Senators direct public health policy by majority vote lmao
don't forget airline CEOs as well lmao