Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.publicsource.org/allegheny-food-safety-health-inspection-salary-staffing-shortage/

quote:

14 inspectors, 8,000+ businesses: Allegheny County’s food safety program is strained

The Food Safety Program, housed in the county’s Health Department, is tasked with inspecting more than 8,000 restaurants and food facilities, each at least once per year. (Some facilities, which distribute only pre-packaged food, can be inspected once every two years.) It conducts additional inspections in response to consumer complaints and to follow up after violations are found.

While some government services are hampered by a shortage of budgeted positions, that is not the case with the food safety team. It is budgeted for 30 food safety inspectors, though they only employ 14 at present.

The number of inspections conducted by the team consistently declined in the second half of 2021 and early 2022, dropping from 1,067 and 897 in June and July, respectively, to 584 in December, according to data published by the county.

loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yes but it's important to note that the brick was tied with twine and hanging over a dog bowl at the end of a rube goldberg machine and all the goon really did was flick a domino over

Wrex Ruckus posted:

allegedly but they've told many tall tales over the years

Thanks.

No other place like SA on the internet. Not yesterday or tomorrow.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ex post facho posted:

but why are cases spiking throughout Europe and the UK???? COVID is over????

My local news station posted an article about cases rising in Europe and now my co-workers are grappling with the knowledge that we could be in for another wave.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They can't fully staff the health department inspection program because they only pay $31K a year for full-time inspectors.

$14.90/hr

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

ex post facho posted:

but why are cases spiking throughout Europe and the UK???? COVID is over????

Likely could be BA.2.2 with an extra spicy spike mutation.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RajlabN/status/1503847760604368900

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I found out last week that my county has fourteen (14) full time food inspectors for over 8000 (eight thousand) restaurants. They can't fully staff the health department inspection program because they only pay $31K a year for full-time inspectors. That sounds like as good an ideas as any to stay the gently caress out of restaurants, and also industry orgs are insanely good at neutering oversight in an part of American society by making sure it's choked of resources. Just a giant country-shaped golem made out of industry capture.

Why bother?

COVID has killed more Americans in the last three days than foodborne illness will kill all year.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1503923776207175680

okay, this is a four-minute clip, and I don't want you to waste your time watching all of it, so I will explain my point in text

this is six different White House correspondents, asking Press Secretary Jen Psaki repeatedly about whether their "thinking has changed" about implementing a No-Fly-Zone and sending fighter jets to aid Ukraine. That is, the White House's current position is currently "no, we are not doing that", but the intent that you can read behind questions of these reporters is that they WANT the No-Fly-Zone and the fighter jet transfer to be done, and they're just lobbying for Ukraine by asking repeatedly about "have you changed your mind yet?"

at about two minutes, one of the reporters is quoting Former Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch:

I bring this up, because a position of "if we do nothing, that by itself is adopting a certain position, with its own resulting consequences" is precisely the opposite of America's COVID policy all this time.

Yeah, as much as people want to pretend this is just the only possible way it can be, the Biden admin and CDC are making some very deliberate choices that are leading us right now and there is nothing inevitable about anything that happens from here on out any more than anything that happened since last May was inevitable.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

tenderjerk posted:

Learned one of my friends tested positive 3 days ago and is currently attending sxsw, hes like one of those "watch 5 movies a day every day during sxsw" freaks

sure hope he's at least masked 🙃

I hope that he is not.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Trichinosis is mild anyway

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

There’s a ten percent chance (or better) that salmonella didn’t even kill a single American in 2011. :thunk:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I think it's pretty clear that the Biden administration has decided that another 300,000-500,000 deaths are preferable to another lockdown, and they'll only even consider it again only when hospital morgue start overflowing (again)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ex post facho posted:

I think it's pretty clear that the Biden administration has decided that another 300,000-500,000 deaths are preferable to another lockdown, and they'll only even consider it again only when hospital morgue start overflowing (again)

There has never been a lockdown.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Platystemon posted:

There’s a ten percent chance (or better) that salmonella didn’t even kill a single American in 2011. :thunk:

Oh poo poo! We could have been relaxing our salmonella restrictions this whole time.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Platystemon posted:

Can't believe all the fear-mongering we put up with about preventable disease when, hello, everybody dies and it's not THAT big of a deal. I've never heard the dead complain. OPEN BIDEN

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Sorry, sorry. "Lockdown"

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
the only restaurants worth going to are high end special occasion poo poo anyways.

I don’t need microwaved poo poo with extra sodium

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Funny thing is that Texas is pushing a public health message about locking up your gun safely.

They say that 3,683 Texans died from firearm in 2019 and they're trying to prevent more of that.

Like lmao, that's just rookie numbers. You gotta pump that up a bit more to make me a bit more concerned about that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ex post facho posted:

Don’t be ridiculous. This is not 2020.

America will burn bodies in the streets before resorting to lockdown.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ex post facho posted:

:lol:

That's a pretty optimistic view of the Biden administration.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

Funny thing is that Texas is pushing a public health message about locking up your gun safely.

They say that 3,683 Texans died from firearm in 2019 and they're trying to prevent more of that.

Like lmao, that's just rookie numbers. You gotta pump that up a bit more to make me a bit more concerned about that.

yeah but gun safety is something we can do something about. covid is just a part of life, it's always been here and always will be

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Platystemon posted:

Don’t be ridiculous. This is not 2020.

America will burn bodies in the streets before resorting to lockdown.

still waiting for The Division to be our future

Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

It's been collectively written out of American memory that there was a serious attempt to control the spread of this disease for only like six weeks after the March 2020 Rose Garden event.

Since early May 2020 at the latest most of the country has been in full "REOPEN THE ECONOMY (that never closed)" mode and we've been hammered by an endless stream of advertisements calling for the same since then.

Any "lockdowns" there were (which were all voluntary) lasted less than two months lol.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Citizen, please present your Smiling Face to the Camera.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

now that it's established the public does not give a gently caress about public health we're definitely going to roll back food safety in general, especially as food prices soar

welcome to the jungle baby, you're gonna die

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NeonPunk posted:

Most of those shootings were at the hand of the gun’s lawful owner anyway.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

It's been collectively written out of American memory that there was a serious attempt to control the spread of this disease for only like six weeks after the March 2020 Rose Garden event.

Since early May 2020 at the latest most of the country has been in full "REOPEN THE ECONOMY (that never closed)" mode and we've been hammered by an endless stream of advertisements calling for the same since then.

Any "lockdowns" there were (which were all voluntary) lasted less than two months lol.

Look how wrong you are! For those six weeks no one could sit down and eat inside of an Applebee's, therefore it was a harsh lockdown.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

yeah the only "lockdowns" that will ever happen will be patchwork closures due to too many staff getting sick

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I don't give a poo poo about a lockdown I just want a vaccine for my kid and masks in unavoidable public areas like government buildings, transportation, medical offices, grocery stores, etc...

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 365 days!

Thoguh posted:

I hope that he is not.

Oh, I meant for others' sake. I hope he eats poo poo on this personally

Apr 7, 2003

Wrex Ruckus posted:

yeah the only "lockdowns" that will ever happen will be patchwork closures due to too many staff getting sick

and the GOP and Blue Maga have done a fantastic job painting these as 'lockdowns' lol

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Thoguh posted:

I don't give a poo poo about a lockdown I just want a vaccine for my kid and masks in unavoidable public areas like government buildings, transportation, medical offices, grocery stores, etc...

Good news! We're getting neither 👍

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wrex Ruckus posted:

And even those will be blamed on “restrictions” and “fear” and be used as a rallying cry to OPEN ’ER UP!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm so loving tired, I don't want to work anymore, I want to take a year off but I feel like doing so will irrevocably gently caress any future ability for me to ever stop working

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
the only lockdown that will work in America is death

at least until we develop necromancy

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Red Baron posted:

the only lockdown that will work in America is death

at least until we develop necromancy

some promising new therapies coming out of Dol Guldur University

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Well aktually, this is because people don't want to work anymore

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I have fond memories of the "lockdown" now. I would go walking on the trails near our condo every day. One day I saw a $20 on the trail and didn't pick it up because it could have had COVID on it.

Oh and also the local tex mex place was selling like... garbage bags full of frozen margaritas for takeout and my wife and I got hammered on those a few times.

Good times.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

like 1 in 5 packs of ground turkey is gonna have salmonella in it right now, and somehow this is already a thing considered safe for sale to consumers

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Looks like the us will be hitting a million offical deaths around march 27. Keep em coming, boys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

also reminder that if staffing shortages get real bad they'll just call in the national guard to make sandwiches