Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Suicide cords are played out.”

“I have an idea.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That's a generator input, it's hooked to house wiring through an interlock that requires you to disconnect the external main breaker before you can connect the generator circuit to the panel. It's never hooked to live power except when a gen cord is plugged into it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Platystemon posted:

“I have an idea.”

If that's paired with an interlock, that's the proper way to hook up a generator.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s on /r/electricians, so guess if it’s hooked up right.

Kind of.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

tomapot posted:

I will send you another photo of the dead snakes once I receive it.

Snakes, I hate it!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

tomapot posted:

My wife is in commercial property management so she see all kinds of stuff. The bees reminded me of this email she sent me (slightly edited to remove names/locations).

…the attached photo you will see are several snakes that were found in the shed at the site where several large breakers to the building are located. Jon stated that the main power would not come on this morning at 5:00a.m.
Jon contacted the electrician to come out to check the breakers and found these snakes in where the breaker box is.  They report that the three snakes that were depicted the one on the far left more than likely was the one that caused the power outage this morning as the snake was burnt.   They found several others dead on the ground approximately 20 dead snakes.    Jon stated their network went down at about 5:25 p.m. on  Saturday.

I have not received any power outage reports from the other two tenants. 

Electrician was able to make repairs and clean out the snakes.  Jon was able to plug the holes were the snakes were getting into the building.  They did suggest that perhaps due to a mice issue inside the building this was causing the snakes to get into the building.

We will want to make sure this building has the grass mowed around it often and determine if ongoing pest control would help eliminate a future episode with the snakes.

I will send you another photo of the dead snakes once I receive it.

Were all 20 snakes electrocuted, or was it just like a place old snakes go to die surrounded by mice?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Platystemon posted:

“I have an idea.”

Also loving the expert vinyl siding patch job.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fender Anarchist posted:

That's a generator input, it's hooked to house wiring through an interlock that requires you to disconnect the external main breaker before you can connect the generator circuit to the panel. It's never hooked to live power except when a gen cord is plugged into it.

It's also not a correct inlet box. They look like this:

That is a plug someone appears to have hydraulic cemented into the wall. I'll leave it to your imagination what the rest of that connection looks like (hint: there is no safe way to do it, certainly nothing code compliant).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a cord running through a hole in the wall. It’s got ten feet of slack.

The description doesn’t state this explicitly, but I suspect that it has a plug on the other end and just runs to a socket inside the house.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 15, 2022

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Platystemon posted:

It’s a cord running through a hole in the wall. It’s got ten feet of slack.

The description doesn’t state this explicitly, but I suspect that it has a plug on the other end and just runs to a socket inside the house.

The PO of my brother's house was kind enough to run one of these to a 2-pole breaker and label it "OFF," you know, for safety.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Sloppy posted:

Were all 20 snakes electrocuted, or was it just like a place old snakes go to die surrounded by mice?

All burnt up but the bigger ones took out the building along with them.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

goodness that is a lot of snakes

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cat Hatter posted:

If that's paired with an interlock, that's the proper way to hook up a generator.

The connector is, but the means by which they installed it is not good... though I'll give slight kudos for trying to MacGyver their own outdoor weatherproof covered outlet box, even if it could get them killed...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mx. posted:

goodness that is a lot of snakes

Was a lot of snakes.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

SourKraut posted:

The connector is, but the means by which they installed it is not good... though I'll give slight kudos for trying to MacGyver their own outdoor weatherproof covered outlet box, even if it could get them killed...

I'd still rather take a weatherproof box with a cord connector installed in it (with an interlock) over someone backfeeding their panel with a suicide cord and a Sharpie note saying "Turn off MAIN when using generator" on the panel.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

By popular demand posted:

Now wasps on the other hand...

A few years ago I woke up to maybe 30 wasps thudding themselves against the glass sliding door that leads to the backyard of the house.

Heard what sounded like an electrical hum from a big closet in the center of the house.

Open the door and it was any insect horror movie you can think of. Thousands of wasps buzzing around in the dark.

It had a sliding door, so no tight seal, was killing wasps against the outside door with a flip-flop, after 200, I found a probably horribly poisonous no longer available for commercial sale bug bomb from my late grandfathers house.

Let it go, waited a few hours, and the ground was covered in at least the 2 inch thick carpet of wasps. Waited a couple days and went in the attic to see the nest.

They had bored through a soffit, and built this monstrosity the size of a garbage can

The bomb kill them all, and the scent of decay was horrible. Like honey and routing animal combined.

Was disoriented with the stink while i was shoveling out the nest that I put one leg through the ceiling

Ended with only 5 or so stings, Was mainly worried about my very aggressive to animals dog, but she came out Unscathed.

gently caress wasps

If anyone’s asking, how did you not realize they were building a massive wasps nest in your house? I heard the chewing but I couldn’t see it when I Looked in the attic from the access hatch so I didn’t figure out what was going on until it was too late. They had chewed through the closet ceiling to escape the attic and branch out in life.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://i.imgur.com/PqQVK1h.mp4

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

I cannot derive the sequence of decisions that led to this past, "dude, you know what would be fuckin sweet?"

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hotel?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Beef Of Ages posted:

I cannot derive the sequence of decisions that led to this past, "dude, you know what would be fuckin sweet?"

EVERYTHING'S SET

SEND IN THE DRYWALL CREW

Drywall crew don't give a poo poo. They're here to DRYWALL

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Beef Of Ages posted:

It's a lovely hotel, stuff is stuck in the walls so people can't steal it

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Beef Of Ages posted:

Meth, and a couple sleepless days and nights, and you have a built-in beautiful entertainment suite

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:grovertoot:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

They drilled through a solar panel? Would it still work?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Not this one.

Photograph was described as “Solar Service Call today, seems a panel isn’t reporting”.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'm pretty sure it will but the warranty is definitely voided.

e: I guess it won't!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'll see if she has pics, but a friend of mine bought a Y2K prepper house in the NC mountains a few years after Y2K did not alas end in the breakdown of society.

these people had a green roof installed and they loving drilled through it, ruining the whole thing.

the hole was so that they could mount a Gadsden flag.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Depending on how the panel is set up electrically and where the damage is, it could be possible to get partial power.

That just isn’t such a case.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'll see if she has pics, but a friend of mine bought a Y2K prepper house in the NC mountains a few years after Y2K did not alas end in the breakdown of society.

these people had a green roof installed and they loving drilled through it, ruining the whole thing.

The most elegant, self-contained own. This should be bronzed and mounted on a wall.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This reminds me very much of Galt's Gulch, the Libertarian "Paradise" they tried to build in Chile. If you have not read about it before, it is worth a look:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bn53b3/atlas-mugged-922-v21n10

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Empty Sandwich posted:

LOL my plan in case of a SHTF breakdown of social order is to identify and rob people like this. Who needs to prep when you can loot?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

My brother(a licensed electrician) sent me these this morning when he got to a job to clean up a previous "handyman's" work.

Ran the gently caress away from that job and stopped at a convenience store and saw this lol

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This reminds me very much of Galt's Gulch, the Libertarian "Paradise" they tried to build in Chile. If you have not read about it before, it is worth a look:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bn53b3/atlas-mugged-922-v21n10

I looked for more info and I would like to recommend the last sentence of the penultimate paragraph of this:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Galt%27s_Gulch,_Chile

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

mattfl posted:

My brother(a licensed electrician) sent me these this morning when he got to a job to clean up a previous "handyman's" work.

Ran the gently caress away from that job and stopped at a convenience store and saw this lol

Did he run away from the job because he didn't have time to do all that work? Hates money? Homeowner wouldn't pay the amount required?

Just curious as my skill level is in the change outlets arena only.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

mattfl posted:

I have only ever done shipboard and industrial electrical work, not super familiar with residential, but it looks like that panel has a lot more problems than just being housed in a husky case.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What's with that... crusty lump in the upper right of the "cabinet"?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The crusty lump may be the remnants of a putty or compound used to seal the gap that would exist between the wire and the punch out that it went through, in order to prevent moisture infiltration and other such things. I imagine the use case for it was eliminated with the removal of the top of the panel.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:catstare: I thought someone had put down a foil tile for retaining heat.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
for that panel the answer is drugs right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Remember this from Reading Rainbow? That's just about how the volcano Parícutin started.

quote:

The eruption began on February 20, 1943, at about 4:00 PM local time. The center of the activity was a cornfield owned by Dionisio Pulido, near the town of Parícutin. During that day, he and his family had been working their land, clearing it to prepare for spring planting.[9] Suddenly the ground nearby swelled upward and formed a fissure between 2 and 2.5 meters across. They reported that they heard hissing sounds, and smoke which smelled like rotten eggs, indicating the presence of hydrogen sulfide. Within hours, the fissure would develop into a small crater.[4][11]

Edit: Dionisio sounds pretty cool

quote:

Before leaving his home for the last time, Dionisio Pulido placed a sign on the cornfield that read in Spanish: "This volcano is owned and operated by Dionisio Pulido."

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 18, 2022