Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have not seen that but i wouldnt be shocked. Russia has its hooks DEEP into various parts of the far left and alot of the far right and knew which words to say to make them believe whatever the gently caress they said.

The greens are pretty much centrists at this point and absolutely not keen on russia, but they're in part born out of 80s peace movement, not too surprising that there's one weirdo who thinks any resistance is too aggressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Seth Pecksniff posted:

So you're purging generals, who presumably know something about waging war (we're talking theoretical here), and replacing them with...?

This is not necessarily true. If the ones in charge where there just because they were the best at giving rim jobs then the possibility remains of uncovering competent people who didn't play the rear end licking game.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

KitConstantine posted:

ik edit: :nms:

Is Arnold a big cultural figure in Russia? Because this is very good
https://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger/status/1504426844199669762?t=nm5mBJ7GxBUwGYEkslTU4Q&s=19
Connecting his father's past as a Nazi to what Russian soldiers will feel after coming home is a bit of a masterstroke

drat that is well made.

I hope it is seen for what it is and not spun as US propaganda from the Hollywood actor turned puppet of the state.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 17, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

punishedkissinger posted:

i think Russia actually won during WW2 though

Not without help they didn't.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
More on those Belarusian explosions--apparently now the authorities are going with a "sonic boom" explanation, which as this reporter notes is different than their "artillery exercises" explanation from yesterday:

https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1504456729882505218

(Note that this reporter, although from Belarus, is clearly against Lukashenko, so there may be a bit of bias.)

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Indolent Bastard posted:

drat that is well made.

I hope it is seen for what it is and not spun as US propaganda from the Hollywood actor turned puppet of the state.

Well, Putin just declared all actual Russians overseas as traitors, so not much of a chance for Arnold.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah firing generals that fail until you find one that wins is actually how you win wars.

I don't think thats what Russia is doing though. Looks more like passing the buck. And this war might be over too fast for a change in leadership to mean anything.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Antigravitas posted:

The reason I was asking is because the Greens are hawks on Russia and I'm curious what kind of weirdo they managed to drag in front of a camera.

Heartfelt apologies, the German politician was https://www.europarl.europa.eu/meps/en/96646/HELMUT_SCHOLZ/home , not greens but european parliament left group.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rad Russian posted:

Well, Putin just declared all actual Russians overseas as traitors, so not much of a chance for Arnold.

A little different from the call to the fatherland but same basic premise

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

lilljonas posted:

That said, having to switch generals is a sign that something isn't working, and if the replacement is not better well then you're still stuck in poop.

Well that assumes the problem was caused by not having good enough general. The thing here is this the classic modus operandi for all manner of assholes from dictators of history down to very minor tyrant CEOs of family companies and theater directors. They have a stupid idea and only yes-people left so the idea is applauded. Then the thing obviously doesn't work, they blame the people in charge of doing the stupid thing, because obviously they have to be the problem right? The new generals might be geniuses, they're still gonna fail because the whole show is rotten through to the core.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

lilljonas posted:

The US, Britain and Soviets churned through generals in WW2 though. It's not a losing play, it's just sound behaviour of an army that wants to win. It does rely on having better suited guys coming up from down the ranks though.

I was talking more about the general societal purge Russia seems to be spinning up. Going through incompetent generals under the assumption that you'll eventually find a good one is whatever, accusing your people wholesale of being disloyal and traitorous cowards is next level imo.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Ynglaur posted:

Someone posted or linked earlier that Russia has ~20 general officers in theatre. That seems low to me, but I don't really know much about senior Russian military command structures. The comparison I'm thinking is that ~120 BTGs is about 40 brigades worth of soldiers, or 10-12 divisions. In the US, that would be 60+ general officers, not even including Corps (Combined Arms Army, for Russia) or air force commands.

Does the Russian military just promote fewer people to general, or are even their senior staffs much smaller than US staffs?

I can't recall where I saw it, here or in one of the other threads about the war, but I think there was some confusion of terms that was brought up - the conversation was about how many major generals Russia was losing and how there wouldn't be many major generals in a US army (that's where the ~20 odd figure came up), but the thing is apparently Russia uses "major general" as the lowest general rank, equivalent to the US brigadier general and thus there's more of them - ~60 something, I think? Unknown how many higher ranks they have above that.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Sir John Falstaff posted:

More on those Belarusian explosions--apparently now the authorities are going with a "sonic boom" explanation, which as this reporter notes is different than their "artillery exercises" explanation from yesterday:

(Note that this reporter, although from Belarus, is clearly against Lukashenko, so there may be a bit of bias.)

Interesting timing for a Lukashenka ally to be found hanging. Note they don't say suicide

https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp/status/1504463251257450496?t=_kxkS8Rl5BkpnBj3h9P3HQ&s=19
(Belarusian opposition media)
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1504462740449943554?t=AGfc6bo97tQwwTUc3iDgcA&s=19

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

GABA ghoul posted:

:eyepop:

The amount of resentment that 50 years of Russian occupation of EE has bred will never cease to amaze me. Russia definitely knows how to make enemies.

People rarely focus on just how thorough the Soviet Union attempted to russify Eastern Europe and commit a fairly aggressive cultural genocide. From what I've read the Baltic states were some of the most comfortable places to live in the Soviet Union (grading on a curve here because they still sucked), but they had done mass deportations of native Baltic people's and replace them with as many Russians as they could put there, banned all cultural celebrations and use of the language.

This is the kind of psychic damage that would make reconciliation almost impossible without generations of cooperation.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

SlowBloke posted:

Heartfelt apologies, the German politician was https://www.europarl.europa.eu/meps/en/96646/HELMUT_SCHOLZ/home , not greens but european parliament left group.

That makes sense, Die Linke can't get itself to distance itself from Putin.

I'm willing to bet they won't be able to enter parliament again next election.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Antigravitas posted:

That makes sense, Die Linke can't bring itself to distance itself from Putin.

I'm willing to bet they won't be able to enter parliament again next election.

Much alike Melenchon in France they were consistently “trying to understand Putins side” and now that Putin turned out to be a warmonger (Who would have thunk?) they pivoted to preaching pure pacifism.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I could understand if he would want to commit suicide, but what would be the motive for killing him? Maybe he was caught trying to escape?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Blindeye posted:

This is the kind of psychic damage that would make reconciliation almost impossible without generations of cooperation.

I'm not sure about that. Germany did unspeakable things to most of Europe under Hitler, but still managed to reconcile and build trust relatively quickly after the war. The difference is that Germany actually tried while post-Soviet Russia displayed mostly arrogant and self-righteous loathing for the victims of the occupation.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ola posted:

I could understand if he would want to commit suicide, but what would be the motive for killing him? Maybe he was caught trying to escape?

Political revenge against Poland? It's so hard to understand what is going on...

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Maybe this is why Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan are so pissed
https://twitter.com/colleenwood_/status/1504448512758530052?t=y6SJzdpjD2lJdg4duW4JUg&s=19
Article: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/03/17/central-asians-in-russia-pressured-to-join-moscows-fight-in-ukraine-a76957

quote:

Valentina Chupik, a civil rights advocate famous for her work defending migrant’s rights in Russia, confirmed that more than a dozen Central Asians have sought her legal advice following pressure to sign up for contract service in the Russian army since Feb. 26.

In a conversation over the Telegram messaging app, she told The Moscow Times that she noticed two patterns by which migrants are being targeted.

Chupik said she received calls from 10 Tajikistan and Uzbekistan citizens who reside in Russia, saying they had received phone calls from people who claimed to represent immigration law firms and could expedite the process of receiving Russian citizenship if they signed up for contract service.

“This is a complete lie, the law does not allow this,” Chupik said. “I told these guys that [the callers] are scammers.”

Another tactic involves army tents in several Moscow metro stations, where Chupik says recruiters try to get commuters to enlist with the “Volunteer Army of the Donetsk People’s Republic.” They target migrants, Chupik said, promising that they can obtain Russian citizenship in just six months.

“I think the Russian government is using labor migrants as cannon fodder in Ukraine,” Chupik alleged in a recent interview.

[...]

A video of an Uzbek man allegedly driving a Russian military truck into Ukraine was widely shared via the Telegram messaging app. The man, who appeared to be in his 50s and was dressed in camouflage fatigues, said on camera that he was recruited because of his experience serving in Afghanistan and that he was given no choice but to sign up.

There are multiple Telegram videos linked in the article to corroborate the statements

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've been doing a good job not crying reading this thread but this has wrecked me.:smith:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Mental Hospitality posted:

I've been doing a good job not crying reading this thread but this has wrecked me.:smith:

It's good to have the occasional reminder that some people are doing their best to be kind right now.

In other news: this could be interesting viewing. Hasn't started quite yet
https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1504464929541210114?t=esyLff90oNZZD0M7B0G40Q&s=19

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

KitConstantine posted:

Maybe this is why Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan are so pissed
https://twitter.com/colleenwood_/status/1504448512758530052?t=y6SJzdpjD2lJdg4duW4JUg&s=19
Article: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/03/17/central-asians-in-russia-pressured-to-join-moscows-fight-in-ukraine-a76957

There are multiple Telegram videos linked in the article to corroborate the statements

yeah, i heard about that a week or so ago. they basicaly went on russian craigslist and lied to drivers. i am sure they are just pressing them into soldiers now.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ynglaur posted:

Rotation and Time in Combat: Someone asked earlier how long people can stay in high-intensity combat. The answer is "surprisingly long". With the Old Breed is an excellent memoir of a US Marine in the Pacific during World War 2. The Battle of Okinawa, for example, lasted almost four months. The Battle of Stalingrad lasted for five. Some individuals absolutely break during combat, and in particular during sustained high-intensity combat, but many "regular" people last for months. The psychological price is paid for years--and often a lifetime--afterward.

to push back on this a bit, the USMC has a harrowing induction process - and had a much worse one in the 1940s - partially to weed out people who are likely to break in combat. like if you can't get through a bunch of drill instructors bullying you horribly for a few months you'll definitely fall to pieces in a firefight. this is not a moral judgement on the kinds of folks who would not make it through USMC bootcamp, i doubt i would. the replacement process for american line infantry in the european theater left many soldiers fairly unprepared, mostly just sending ill-trained draftees into a bureaucratic system before they were bundled anonymously to the front - and this system had many examples of soldiers freaking out on first contact, and having to be evacuated after a day or so of gunfire. i would assume a fair amount of the russian army is closer to this level of preparation for war, especially if it is true that russia is resorting to pressuring conscripts to enlist as regulars just to fill the ranks. while it is possible for hardy souls to withstand months of combat, it is also just as likely that a bunch of young men immediately say "gently caress this, i'm out" and withdraw/surrender as soon as the javelins start flying

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

to push back on this a bit, the USMC has a harrowing induction process - and had a much worse one in the 1940s - partially to weed out people who are likely to break in combat. like if you can't get through a bunch of drill instructors bullying you horribly for a few months you'll definitely fall to pieces in a firefight. this is not a moral judgement on the kinds of folks who would not make it through USMC bootcamp, i doubt i would. the replacement process for american line infantry in the european theater left many soldiers fairly unprepared, mostly just sending ill-trained draftees into a bureaucratic system before they were bundled anonymously to the front - and this system had many examples of soldiers freaking out on first contact, and having to be evacuated after a day or so of gunfire. i would assume a fair amount of the russian army is closer to this level of preparation for war, especially if it is true that russia is resorting to pressuring conscripts to enlist as regulars just to fill the ranks. while it is possible for hardy souls to withstand months of combat, it is also just as likely that a bunch of young men immediately say "gently caress this, i'm out" and withdraw/surrender as soon as the javelins start flying

Interestingly, the Germans in WW2 made sure that recruits were placed in companies comprised of soldiers from the same geographic area, and they would be placed into that unit only when it was rotated off the line to allow replacements to integrate with their platoons before they went back to the front.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

i would assume a fair amount of the russian army is closer to this level of preparation for war, especially if it is true that russia is resorting to pressuring conscripts to enlist as regulars just to fill the ranks. while it is possible for hardy souls to withstand months of combat, it is also just as likely that a bunch of young men immediately say "gently caress this, i'm out" and withdraw/surrender as soon as the javelins start flying

I wonder to what extent the Dedovshchina/hazing that seems so prevalent across the Russian army contributes toward this as well. Brutalised conscripts that are the subjects of constant bullying and hazing hardly seem like they are going to be the most motivated fighters in this kind of war.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Political revenge against Poland? It's so hard to understand what is going on...

I doubt it. From what mainstream media mentioned the dude had issues.. He probably deserted out of desperation, maybe hoped for some cozy stay in exchange of a couple TV interviews. And then it probably slowly started to get to him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tigey posted:

I wonder to what extent the Dedovshchina/hazing that seems so prevalent across the Russian army contributes toward this as well. Brutalised conscripts that are the subjects of constant bullying and hazing hardly seem like they are going to be the most motivated fighters in this kind of war.

i mean it worked for japan to a degree. the army and navy were loving insanly abusive. like an officer could loving beat the poo poo out of you if you didnt salute fast enough.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Ola posted:

If the 1930s is anything to go by being from the wrong country is enough to get you killed once things get paranoid enough. A lot of Finnish communists who fled to the USSR during/after the civil war found that out the hard way.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean it worked for japan to a degree. the army and navy were loving insanly abusive. like an officer could loving beat the poo poo out of you if you didnt salute fast enough.

Japan's Army was abusive to the point that starving and outright murdering recruits and enlisted was incredibly common.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I don't think many Russians view Putin as a literal God however.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

While under no circumstances do you have to hand it to the IJA or IJN, they sounded 'harsh' but the Russian army's system here sounds more like a way for the longer-serving conscripts to exploit the new fish, which also has the self-reinforcing mechanism of "I had to pay my dues, what do you mean I can't collect? gently caress that, I'm gonna bully the new guys anyway."

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Honj Steak posted:

Much alike Melenchon in France they were consistently “trying to understand Putins side” and now that Putin turned out to be a warmonger (Who would have thunk?) they pivoted to preaching pure pacifism.
It's interesting how many of these European Russian-sympathizers are currently preaching peace (often omitting who started this war) and, most importantly, are against weapons being delivered to Ukraine (in the name of peace, of course).

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

alex314 posted:

I doubt it. From what mainstream media mentioned the dude had issues.. He probably deserted out of desperation, maybe hoped for some cozy stay in exchange of a couple TV interviews. And then it probably slowly started to get to him.

I don't think so. He was a propaganda tool of the Belarusian government, and a very public one

https://neweasterneurope.eu/2022/03/14/the-belarusian-migrant-crisis-and-state-propaganda/

quote:

In his statements, Czeczko accused Poland of committing genocide on the Polish-Belarusian border. He claims that he participated in the execution of migrants during the ten days that he spent at the EU frontier. According to Belarusian media, the number of those killed by Polish guards varies between 200 and 700 people. He also claimed that he was forced to personally participate in the execution of more than 200 people. This number includes women and children.

Emil Czeczko accused “Polish counterintelligence” of supervising all of these executions. He also claimed that President Andrzej Duda and Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki were aware of these actions.

The Investigative Committee of Belarus launched a criminal case in relation to the high rate of migrant deaths on the Belarusian-Polish border. Though Czeczko publicly called himself a murderer, he is currently a witness in this case.

In a interview, Belarus State Border Committee representative Anton Bychkouski claims that the “collective West” is spreading misinformation about the ongoing migration crisis.
[...]
In Belarus, Emil Czeczko has filed a lawsuit titled “On Genocide and Crimes against Humanity on the Territory of Poland” to the International Criminal Court in The Hague.

A Belarusian group called the Systemic Advocacy Centre (SAC) appears to be working closely with Czeczko. This state-sponsored body is assisting him with his refugee application and promoting his statements on atrocities committed by Poland.

Raman Pratasevich, a co-founder of the Telegram-channel NEXTA, is also working with the SAC as one of its new human rights defenders. He is now promoting Czeczko’s case along with many others.

He was a witness for the government in an ongoing case. A bit embarrassing to lose him now

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cimber posted:

not yet anyway but the tsar was always pretty revered until they wernt.

Nessus posted:

While under no circumstances do you have to hand it to the IJA or IJN, they sounded 'harsh' but the Russian army's system here sounds more like a way for the longer-serving conscripts to exploit the new fish, which also has the self-reinforcing mechanism of "I had to pay my dues, what do you mean I can't collect? gently caress that, I'm gonna bully the new guys anyway."

i sorta think systems like russia and Imperial japans hosed up systems lead to way way more war crimes then normal becaus "gently caress it, i can't hurt my officers, but i can sure as gently caress hurt these folks" or "my officer ate a bullet, time to have a release"

CommieGIR posted:

Japan's Army was abusive to the point that starving and outright murdering recruits and enlisted was incredibly common.

yeah people kinda white wash how loving insanely awful the IJA/IJN were both to people they were fighting/ruling and themselves. the japanese far right in that period was loving nuts.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Tomberforce posted:

Just got caught off guard by the most surreally horrific :nms: combat video that I've ever seen, supposedly from Mariupol. Not going to link because it is absolutely, exceedingly grim but I will say that we live in a very strange age with the intersection of HD video drones and urban warfare.

Was it the Russian tank that gets engaged, hit multiple times, tries to run away, then brews up with some of the crew escaping off camera—only to see one of them blown backwards (and clearly killed) back into frame?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ZombieLenin posted:

Was it the Russian tank that gets engaged, hit multiple times, tries to run away, then brews up with some of the crew escaping off camera—only to see one of them blown backwards (and clearly killed) back into frame?

I don't think either of them brewed up, one of them appeared to have smoke coming out of the hatches as the crew bailed, if we're thinking as the same video.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Cimber posted:

His religion is also getting isolated
https://twitter.com/kaarel_kressa/status/1504451075834843144

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KitConstantine posted:

It's good to have the occasional reminder that some people are doing their best to be kind right now.

In other news: this could be interesting viewing. Hasn't started quite yet
https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1504464929541210114?t=esyLff90oNZZD0M7B0G40Q&s=19

They are not going to start doing a "let's deliver" "let's not" "let's deliver" loop with the s300 too i hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

the replacement process for american line infantry in the european theater left many soldiers fairly unprepared, mostly just sending ill-trained draftees into a bureaucratic system before they were bundled anonymously to the front - and this system had many examples of soldiers freaking out on first contact, and having to be evacuated after a day or so of gunfire.

You'd be hard pressed to intentionally design a worse replacement system than the WW2 US army.