Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
In SoP, you find a Proto-Cube. When you put it in its proper place, it’s actually an orb. I have problems with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

In SoP, you find a Proto-Cube. When you put it in its proper place, it’s actually an orb. I have problems with this

It is a PROTO-Cube. They haven't sanded off the edges yet.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Within every cube there is a sphere looking to get out

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

every piece of torso armor in SoP is from Ryu Hayabusa's wardrobe

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah, iaigiri kicks rear end. They probably made it the Ronin specific mechanic just to give people a reason to come back to it even after unlocking Samurai etc.

I hated Samurai (more mp recovery is nice but not iaigiri nice) and while I need to go back and finish getting it to level 30 at some point, I'm in no real rush to do so because Ronin is just better than it for everything and Breaker is Breaker.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I've killed Chaos! :)

Turns out that wasn't Chaos, but some girl. :sigh:

The hunt continues. :hai:

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
I was just about to ask, is Chaos still alive? But I guess that's an affirmative. This cannot stand.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I picked up the pc port last night and while the game seems to play fine I'll echo the technical complaints made already.

Textures look kinda muddy, even if the design of everything looks great so far. Granted I've only seen the initial chaos temple dungeon and some town cutscenes. The game took probably more than two minutes to load but I've only booted it the one time. The shaders look ooooold, I'm not sure if this game even has anti aliasing, It definitely doesn't in menus and things might only look a bit more smooth in action because of down sampling in motion (though my render resolution is set at 100%) and general motion blur. It's certainly not a graphics option, maybe someone will find a way to force it through ini tweaking. This is all with the graphics set to prefer visuals over performance too. With either setting the game has noticeable frame drops in any larger areas. It's nothing terrible, I haven't noticed it chug in combat or running around even once but it's very noticeable when swinging around the camera and I immediately noticed the lip desync issue someone else pointed out earlier up thread.

Which is kind of a shame. The story telling definitey matches my expectation as a game from the Nioh devs (hyper bland) but Nioh 2 was surprisingly well optimized on release.

Nothing a couple of patches cant fix, maybe and the general gameplay is fun so far. I'm expecting it to do the Nioh thing of feeling very limited in the beginning and then really open up with job skills around half way through. Maybe later considering every base job I have has the big customization unlock of 'use whatever weapon skill with this job's weapon' as the final affinity unlock.

One main mission and one sub mission in and I think mage feels the best so far, but I haven't really tried out pugilist or duelist yet. Not even the casting bit, the three mace weapon skills I have are just all good at knocking people around.

Sadly it's also doing the Nioh thing of showering me in a tons of equipment that utterly grinds gameflow to a halt if I want to manage any potential upgrades mid mission. That and the mission node on a map presentation feels utterly alien for an FF game.

But really it does play fine, the combat and level aesthetic are plenty good.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

big league bummer, really wanted to play on pc. probably hold off for a month or so so they can patch it up better

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Eehh, if you're excited at all about the game I really want to reiterate that it plays perfectly fine in combat. It just looks off graphically. Which is half surprising because Square Enix but also half expected because ff14 also looks like it doesn't have anti aliasing.

Of course 14 is a very special case.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I can at least wait a week or two for more opinions to trickle in and maybe a technical patch, no rush. wasn't gonna have much time to play this weekend anyway

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

they probably won't patch the PC version much until the Steam release in 1 year+ because they already got the EGS exclusivity bag

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

If it's anything like the other epic store releases, people will release some mods that fix up the port's rough spots even if it's just setting related.

Though, I guess if this isn't unreal engine or any of their previous engines then it might not be possible

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
On my PC everything is super blurry no matter what resolution I use and the game goes completely slow-mo every time I do a finisher. No idea why, my PC should be more than capable of running it at max settings and it seems to persist no matter what.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm sorry everyone, but it's impossible to hate Jack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-LVF0Pptw

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm sorry everyone, but it's impossible to hate Jack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-LVF0Pptw

I've been describing this game as "final fantasy: a Fred Durst joint" to friends and this feels like the equivalent of that scene in the fanatic where the main character hears limp bizkit on the radio and thinks it's totally rad

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol Stranger of Paradise has such a goofy storyline. For the PC version, I want someone to add in a laugh track because it feels like it needs it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Slowdown has been pretty much cutscenes, though Bikke's ship in particular was terrible on my end, with actual rare in-game slowdown even occurring there. The cutscenes there were so drat laggy it was unbearable. For the record, using a 3070 and playing in 4k120fps so that may not help matters. Still, could definitely use an optimization pass. At least gameplay itself seems fine.

Getting a hang of combat, though. It helps that I've stopped trying to Soul Shield everything and just dodge poo poo more often than not. Right now I've unlocked Red Mage and Monk, probably gonna try to aim for Tyrant since it requires both of those and then branch out of the other jobs in the meantime.

The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is also the most bizarre and weirdly fun part of the game. After each mission, there's an option to talk to people in Corneria in the menu. It's two guards and the same five NPCs every time, which is hilarious because it makes it look like these five random shmucks are the only friends Jack has besides his party. It's got poo poo like a farmer thanking the Warriors of Light for fixing his back pain through their perseverance, and the Mom of Light constantly talking about her kids. It's so god drat out of place, but it's also hilarious because it's the same drat people every single time and they'd be so god drat forgettable if it weren't the same people.

I'm really digging this game, warts and all.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Mega64 posted:

Slowdown has been pretty much cutscenes, though Bikke's ship in particular was terrible on my end, with actual rare in-game slowdown even occurring there. The cutscenes there were so drat laggy it was unbearable. For the record, using a 3070 and playing in 4k120fps so that may not help matters. Still, could definitely use an optimization pass. At least gameplay itself seems fine.

Getting a hang of combat, though. It helps that I've stopped trying to Soul Shield everything and just dodge poo poo more often than not. Right now I've unlocked Red Mage and Monk, probably gonna try to aim for Tyrant since it requires both of those and then branch out of the other jobs in the meantime.

The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is also the most bizarre and weirdly fun part of the game. After each mission, there's an option to talk to people in Corneria in the menu. It's two guards and the same five NPCs every time, which is hilarious because it makes it look like these five random shmucks are the only friends Jack has besides his party. It's got poo poo like a farmer thanking the Warriors of Light for fixing his back pain through their perseverance, and the Mom of Light constantly talking about her kids. It's so god drat out of place, but it's also hilarious because it's the same drat people every single time and they'd be so god drat forgettable if it weren't the same people.

I'm really digging this game, warts and all.

I do enjoy that the two guards are implied to be named Biggs and Wedge.

It's also great because as the story progresses The farmer can't work because the wind crystal gets restored - and then his crops wither and die when the earth crystal gets restored. It's not until the water crystal gets restored that he's like "hey what the heck you said things would be fixed"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

I do enjoy that the two guards are implied to be named Biggs and Wedge.

It's also great because as the story progresses The farmer can't work because the wind crystal gets restored - and then his crops wither and die when the earth crystal gets restored. It's not until the water crystal gets restored that he's like "hey what the heck you said things would be fixed"

The funny thing is that things are fixed. They just lived in a weird world where everything was muted and then it turns out holy poo poo fire hot, earth quakes, and water gets choppy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah it is such a bizarre b-game thing lol to get that npc dialogue in the menu and they're all just standing around in the same place and swapped in for each scene lol.

Also when you're talking with your party in that postgame thing and it does that incredibly awkward fade out - fade into closeup for one line of dialogue

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

God drat, this game is so loving good. It has completely surpassed my expectations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Thoughts on chaos difficulty: it's not very fun

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

:same: but the numbers go up

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Of course it's not fun, that's why it's called Chaos.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I ended up refunding the PC version since it's basically unplayable on my machine for whatever reason. And then Epic doesn't refund cash apparently so that's some money wasted I guess

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I don't mind it so far, but the very minor bonuses you get from Master Points don't feel remotely worth the hassle of grinding out. It just being that and an equipment treadmill is fairly disappointing. It should at least have some unique content or something and not just "redo everything again but with bigger numbers".

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Heath posted:

I ended up refunding the PC version since it's basically unplayable on my machine for whatever reason. And then Epic doesn't refund cash apparently so that's some money wasted I guess

condolences, they refunded it back my card fortunately but I was worried that was gonna happen and if it had lol to EGS forever

really wanna play it but not until it's in a good state, which looking at nioh 2 I imagine it will be, even if it's a long wait

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 17, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Nioh 2 runs so flawlessly perfect I was kinda shocked at just how bad this one is. It's nuts. Nioh 2 is a constant lightshow of explosions and particles and poo poo flying all over and it never hitches even a little bit, and this game seems to run on the same engine, so what exactly is the fuckup here?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Heath posted:

That sucks that the game doesn't work on your PC. I blame it being on Epic Game Store to be honest. That said, I bought the game on EGS, and am having zero issues. It plays perfectly at 120fps. Apparently for Nvidia cards though, the game isn't playable on the 10-series. I have a RTX 2070 myself.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

Don't Preorder Games. Just don't do it.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Y'know, my birthday IS coming up if a few weeks, and my brother usually asks me if he'd like to get anything for me as a present. . . as long I can get SoP before the demo expires (seriously, why?) I can keep going. . .

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I preordered Kirby and I do not regret it. I have never regretted a single one of my preorders.

The only games I've regretted buying are ones I bought before digital preorders existed. Unlimited Saga, Ephemeral Fantasia, Musashi: Samurai Legend, Valkyria Chronicles...

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 17, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I said come in! posted:

That sucks that the game doesn't work on your PC. I blame it being on Epic Game Store to be honest. That said, I bought the game on EGS, and am having zero issues. It plays perfectly at 120fps. Apparently for Nvidia cards though, the game isn't playable on the 10-series. I have a RTX 2070 myself.

Don’t tell me this I have a 1080.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is Chaos difficulty new game + or do you have to start over from the beginning with nothing?

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Grimthwacker posted:

Y'know, my birthday IS coming up in a few weeks, and my brother usually asks me if he'd like to get anything for me as a present. . . as long I can get SoP before the demo expires (seriously, why?) I can keep going. . .

No idea how that happened, ignore.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I blame it being on Epic Game Store to be honest.

I looked in to this for about ten minutes and there are definitely ways to launch epic games store games without having to load up the launcher. It apparently doesn't work for all of them and that's more common for games that use any online features so it might not work for SoP, and I have no idea if it helps at all with performance, but it's worth a shot.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

FunkyFjord posted:

I looked in to this for about ten minutes and there are definitely ways to launch epic games store games without having to load up the launcher. It apparently doesn't work for all of them and that's more common for games that use any online features so it might not work for SoP, and I have no idea if it helps at all with performance, but it's worth a shot.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I said come in! posted:

Since they aren't going to actually refund me I'm just going to buy the game back and try reinstalling it and updating my drivers. I have a 1660 Super and I'm not exactly knowledgeable about this kind of stuff but I feel like that should be able to run it at least decently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Is Chaos difficulty new game + or do you have to start over from the beginning with nothing?
It's just a new difficulty with exclusive drops. Story progression ends at item level 118 regardless of difficulty. The ilvl cap is 300, but ilvl 130-300 drops are exclusive to Chaos difficulty. You have access to all the old missions/side missions, but higher ilvls versions of maps must be individually unlocked with anima jo crystals

grind to get bigger numbers on the same maps for the sake of grinding unless they add new meaningful content in the future