Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Orange and red are not the same color.
Only because Newton needed exactly seven colors for his weird occult rituals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Indonesia is the flip of Poland. Indonesia looks the same as Monaco, except I think the Monaco flag might be a bit redder on top, and is not as wide as standard flags

also

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
By far the the best of the "tricolour but emblem" genre. Elegant, beautiful, identifiable, despite lots of parts.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

actionjackson posted:

it actually is when you look at all of Europe's flags. It's much easier to differentiate colors than shapes imo

I've never had an issue with the Scandinavian flags even though they all have the same pattern

It might be unconscious bias, but I will agree on that. I might not be perfectly familiar with every flag, but when they share a pattern (three stripes, either horizontal or vertical), it feels easier to have a factor to remember. "oh Ireland is the one with orange" or "Germany has black, but horizontal", rather than needing to have WHICH part of the flag is which colour (which even for Netherlands and Russia, you can have "Netherlands white in middle"

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

european tricolors suck they should take a note from US states and put the country's name on there

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The Netherlands should just have a uni-color orange flag.

Peanut Butler posted:

european tricolors suck they should take a note from US states and put the country's name on there
Alternatively/additionally, a map of the country.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Alternatively/additionally, a map of the country.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Peanut Butler posted:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Netherlands should just have a uni-color orange flag.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Netherlands brand would see a lot of benefit of distancing itself from Russia. No one would confuse the two if this was their flag.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Netherlands should copy Indonesia’s flag so that they get confused with Poland.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I have braintrusted a new flag for the dutch, so that they not get confused with anyone else.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have braintrusted a new flag for the dutch, so that they not get confused with anyone else.
Good idea to include the old flag in the canton, so people don't get confused during the transition.

I had a crack at the French flag:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's good, but I think this might work better, if not for the Netherlands, then as a standard for the House of Orange.

:hmmyes:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does black/white/red/green have specific symbolism in the middle east? you see it on a ton of flags in the area as I mentioned on the previous page

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Mostly based on the flag of the Great Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also I'm sure there's some tagged on symbolism for each colour, like red for the blood of the people and green for Islam or hope or something.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Black is the rashidun and abbasid colour, white is the umayyad and fatimid colour, green is the islam colour, red is the colour of the hashemite dynasty. You don't gotta reach, it's recorded.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

-don quixote
-17th century habsburgs
nice spain flag

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's been a lot of NATO and EU flags in the news lately, but how about some other flags of multinational organizations of various kinds?

Some of these aren't really meant to physically exist and nobody really cares about them if they do, so there's a lot of variations in font and color in the pictures I find.

Pretty clever lookin' slinky 'round a globe to look like a C.

This one actually reminds me of some other symbolic imagery...

Alternately, since blob hand is reaching for a yellow orb on a blue background, Kazakhstan, the one country with a flag of a yellow orb on a blue background, should probably be nervous.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is the only good one. The rest are really bad.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Yvonmukluk posted:

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1501624788544069637

Seems like there might be a few Ace Combat fans way down under.

This is definitely a flag by a guy whose read too many vexilolgy blogs.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

well hey let's not leave out the not-CIS then (sorta, idk, since Moldova and Azerbaijan are still in the CIS despite being in the "gently caress Russia" bloc):

technically they don't have a flag exactly, but if they did it'd presumably feature this basketball with four boobs

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

God just look at these we lovely loving flags.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

well hey let's not leave out the not-CIS then

it's ok we already have a flag

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
in looking that up i also found this absolutely hideous alternative trans flag that was apparently flown once at Toronto City Hall

who can possibly say why this never caught on

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Angepain posted:

in looking that up i also found this absolutely hideous alternative trans flag that was apparently flown once at Toronto City Hall

who can possibly say why this never caught on

The mere posting of this means trans people in love with irony are going to start pushing this as a joke until it’s not a joke anymore.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I like that alternative trans one because I can't stand pastel colors.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

the alternate flag doesn't make any sense, I see the color rays, where's the impact font image macro text

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bad flag

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1505339812575858696

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Good time to point out the POW/MIA movement is mostly a conspiracy theory anyway so this is appropriate when you think about it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My Russian co-worker told me about the sane part of Russians still wanting to feel proud of their country, but without appearing to support the regime. So they made a new flag for protests, by whiping the blood off the current flag:

Pretty neat I think.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

BonHair posted:

My Russian co-worker told me about the sane part of Russians still wanting to feel proud of their country, but without appearing to support the regime. So they made a new flag for protests, by whiping the blood off the current flag:

Pretty neat I think.

The Canton of ZUG wants it's flag back, ZUG ZUG ZUG ZUG!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Zug, Zug!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

White-washing the red gives some anti-communism vibes. Why the red? Why not another of the three colours? Why to white?

Gonna have to give this one to Zug.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The modern Russia Federation being a thing already is already an anti-communist vibe, and red on flags has a longer history of being associated with blood than it does with being associated with communism. White on flags has a history of being associated with peace.

Also making that into a Russian protest flag goes very nicely with the Belarusian protest flag.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Jehde posted:

White-washing the red gives some anti-communism vibes. Why the red? Why not another of the three colours? Why to white?

In case you haven't noticed, there's this whole war thing going on and the propaganda blitz uses the flag quite heavily. It's just doing a better job tainting the flag than rallying the people.

War means blood, blood is red.

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jehde posted:

To be fair, I tried pushing the good old red flag, but somehow using the flag of the Soviet Union, which included Ukraine under effectively Russian control, didn't really appeal. The Russian SFSR didn't try hard enough either: