Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

why do some mobile suits apparently have maximum accelerations listed as 1.5g when fighter jets can pull manuevers that incur many times that?

For the same reason that the Wing Gundam. Supposedly weighed 7 metric tons. Because people who write databooks don't know gently caress about all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Katejina could take on anyone.

I think Sayla is probably the biggest threat otherwise. Her resistance to dumb bullshit is quite high

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dianna Soleil literally ran out to face down a mobile suit while armed with a bolt-action rifle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Caros posted:

For the same reason that the Wing Gundam. Supposedly weighed 7 metric tons. Because people who write databooks don't know gently caress about all.

Mobile suits in general come in pretty light but the Wing units are comically, ludicrously underweight. You can't even handwave it as Gundanium being magic paper-weight metal, since all the grunt suits weigh like 6-8 tons too.

G Gundam units are also insanely light, with the God coming in at a whopping 20 tons, or about as much as an empty garbage truck.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

tsob posted:

I didn't include that particular passage because the word "carried" invoked the image of arms, I included it because the description of the Bit as carrying the missile with a nuclear payload already includes a description of the Bit as separate from the missile and it's nuclear capacity to refute the idea that any nuclear missile was a singular pyscommu unit akin to those used by the Xi/Penelope. It can't just be a psycommu missile with no other structure holding it if the bit is described as carrying the missile, or else it's just a really badly worded passage (either in the original Japanese or the translation). I had thought the Elmeth had bit mobile suits from memory, but reading back through descriptions of it, no, it's just regular bits like in the animation; it does not ever imply it has psycommu missiles either though, and instead that the bits can just mount missiles too.

Then don't. Simple, really. There's not even any need to invoke them, because there is no animated evidence ever pointing to that being true, and several alternate scenarios under which the same events could happen without ever invoking nuclear weapons. Including a description in Tomino's own novels of how the same events (destruction of several Sides and the death of billions of people, the almost immediate destabilization of the Federation by Zeon to overwhelm them etc.) without using nuclear anything.

If you insist that Zeon used nukes during the One Week War though, then the GP-02 is still a good idea because it can at least survive it's own nuclear missile, and even the few sources that do point to Zeon using nuclear weapons in the One Week War usually point to them being...not great at it. As such:

Which also makes it seem like the nukes in question were a lot less impressive than the one the GP-02 carried, since they were just used to take out one battleship at at time and not a large portion of an entire fleet in one go. It's also such a fragile design that there'd be no reason not to iterate on it, and bolster it's defense to try and prevent the destruction of the unit firing the missile, since that's probably nearly as expensive as the missile itself; especially when counting the pilot inside.

Really though, if there's a bigger comparative problem if you insist on ignoring the fact that Sunrise probably don't care for the idea Zeon used nuclear missiles at all and ignoring that the nukes they used were probably pretty small and were probably not going to be taking out entire colonies without dedicated shelling of even those nukes, then it's less "why does the GP-02 have a nuke at all", and more "why build such a big, expensive machine that can only deliver one nuclear strike and is then basically worthless afterwards because it can only store one nuke and has no weapons beyond that bar beam sabers and vulcans". At least the Zakus used in some sources could store multiple nukes, and had rifles to use in other circumstances or protracted battles.

MSV has had to come up with the GP-02 MLRS system to give it other missiles, while a game included a beam bazooka separate from the nuclear one as a way to both balance the unit by not giving it an "instant death to everything on the field" weapon, and allow it to use that weapon multiple times. The animation never mentions any such things though, and it was up to supplementary sources to create them to make the unit more viable outside that one very specific circumstance in the anime itself.

Zeta Gundam basically always supposed such a thing were true. Here, for instance, is a sample from a book published when Zeta was airing.

There's been some fluidity on just how much AE absorbed versus the Federation themselves, so far as I can tell, but the general idea that there was something analogous to Operation Paperclip happening was always there.

Covid-532 is treated in UC by ordering a strike team of teeny Gundams to go around shooting needles at folks.

I'm pretty sure if they made a game in that vein now that it'd be based on one of the more recent AUs and not in UC. So you'd get Rustal's Rapacity, or perhaps Cumpa's Covetousness.
ok

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

On video game chat: I'm beginning to think that in the of 'Franchises most suitable to creating varied interactive media to Actual game quality' arena, Gundam must be at the absolute bottom. The possibilities are essentially limitless, but all the best Gundam games basically came out in the PS2 era or earlier

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Waffles Inc. posted:

On video game chat: I'm beginning to think that in the of 'Franchises most suitable to creating varied interactive media to Actual game quality' arena, Gundam must be at the absolute bottom. The possibilities are essentially limitless, but all the best Gundam games basically came out in the PS2 era or earlier

No, Gundam actually managing to have good games at some point means it can't be at the bottom. Plus, Super Robot Wars has to count for something.

I feel like the absolute bottom has to be, like, The Matrix.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cleretic posted:

No, Gundam actually managing to have good games at some point means it can't be at the bottom. Plus, Super Robot Wars has to count for something.

I feel like the absolute bottom has to be, like, The Matrix.

Counterpoint: The Path of Neo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PS2 was the best console so it had the best games

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Gundam exvs games existing in the first place already puts the franchise super high, idk what you're talking about

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I always felt like the best possibility for a gundam game would be if gundam vs gundam had gone in the other direction suggested by Federation vs Zeon, where instead of an arena brawler they focused on the campaign aspect where you are some nameless squadron fighting your way through various gundam conflicts, updating your selection of mobile suits as you go through various events.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I mean, that would be great, and you have Alliance v. ZAFT II for that, but EXVS is really good, what in the world people

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I am basic as hell so I’m still convinced the Gundam Musou games are the best Gundam games. You can choose Laura Rolla as your pilot in one of them!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I always felt like the best possibility for a gundam game would be if gundam vs gundam had gone in the other direction suggested by Federation vs Zeon, where instead of an arena brawler they focused on the campaign aspect where you are some nameless squadron fighting your way through various gundam conflicts, updating your selection of mobile suits as you go through various events.

You can get a little bit of this in G Generation if you want, but it doesn't last long and its really basic. But I would love a much better version of exactly that.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I am basic as hell so I’m still convinced the Gundam Musou games are the best Gundam games. You can choose Laura Rolla as your pilot in one of them!

We are VERY long overdue for a new Gundam Musou.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The best theoretical Gundam game would be Dynasty Warriors Gundam: Empires, but it'll never happen even if they bring back DWG.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gundam had some great game series going for a while in Musou and Breaker but they managed to pilot both franchises off a cliff into a gaping hell maw with terrible sequels. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn and New Gundam Breaker were both absolutely terrible trashfire games despite coming from series with great games in them, and not coincidentally both series have been dead ever since.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The Gundam vs series was for years, if not still is, the most popular game in Japanese arcades and is super deep yet incredibly easy to just pick up and play.

Like it's not just a good gundam game, it's a good game even if gundam stuff wasn't in it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Gundam had some great game series going for a while in Musou and Breaker but they managed to pilot both franchises off a cliff into a gaping hell maw with terrible sequels. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn and New Gundam Breaker were both absolutely terrible trashfire games despite coming from series with great games in them, and not coincidentally both series have been dead ever since.

Gundam Breaker's not dead dead. It hasn't have a proper game since New, but there is a cell phone gacha game that's been around for a couple years now (complete with an English release), and just last year, the cell phone game got an anime that crossed over with Gundam Breaker 3, including a line of mass release Gunpla. (There was one for 3's protagonist, and one for Misa, in addition to the ones for the anime original antagonist and the cast of the mobile game.)

It's not like we have Gundam Breaker 4 available for preorder, but Bandai probably at least has something kicking around the conference rooms.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They probably will do a new Gundam Breaker when there's actually new stuff to put in it! Gundam hasn't really had a lot of actually new stuff post IBO.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
DWG owned. i still haven’t played SRW at all tho :(

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They probably will do a new Gundam Breaker when there's actually new stuff to put in it! Gundam hasn't really had a lot of actually new stuff post IBO.

I mean, depends how you define "new stuff". Two 26 episode TV anime, a six episode live action net drama, a 10 episode SD Gundam short anime, a 24 episode SD Gundam series, 2 new movies, and a bunch of shorts and manga may not be the most Gundam has done in five years, but it does mean dozens of new designs, even ignoring P-Bandai.

Sure, Mercury is going to be a better headliner, but if New had sold like, well, Gunpla? I think lack of content wouldn't prevent a sequel.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DWG's generic tracks and weird vo gave it such a strange feeling.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone actually count the builders stuff as series nowadays? It all seems so forgettable

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, depends how you define "new stuff". Two 26 episode TV anime, a six episode live action net drama, a 10 episode SD Gundam short anime, a 24 episode SD Gundam series, 2 new movies, and a bunch of shorts and manga may not be the most Gundam has done in five years, but it does mean dozens of new designs, even ignoring P-Bandai.

Sure, Mercury is going to be a better headliner, but if New had sold like, well, Gunpla? I think lack of content wouldn't prevent a sequel.

Most of those aren't really the thing to headline a game, which is almost universally a new animated series. The movies might be better except for the small issue that they largely revolve around stuff that already existed. (Phenix is already in Breaker 3 for example and I don't think Narrative or a repainted Neo Zeong are quite at the top of the list.) The Build series are technically Gundam shows but they appear to be regulated to cameo stuff mostly. Like it's worth noting that SD Gundam Alliance is still using Rx-78-2/Freedom (the evergreens) and Barbatos (the most recent mainline TV series) as its front stuff.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Kanos posted:

Reborn had some big issues but it was at least playable. but really what we need is something between 2 and 3. And we've yet to see IBO or GBF in a musou.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

Reborn had some big issues but it was at least playable. but really what we need is something between 2 and 3. And we've yet to see IBO or GBF in a musou.

If you haven't played it you should play Breaker 3 which is functionally a musou game but with customizable robutts.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Does anyone actually count the builders stuff as series nowadays? It all seems so forgettable

Re:Rise was pretty solid. Well developed characters, some nice plot twists, and a fun epilogue short with the cast just goofing off. I'd give it a 7/10 or so? Worth checking out, even if it's not an all time classic.

Hunter Noventa posted:

If we keep getting themed musous like Hyrule Warriors 2 and Three Hopes, IBO might be a good pick. Calamity War means tons of enemies to take on with your Gundam, and at least some casual interest. Of course, an explanation for having the present day cast would be tricky, and a return would have people wanting to fight between shows, but it could be some fun.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I want to shout out my man Tomino tonight for all the little things he throws in his series. I was watching Stolen Kisses and ten minutes in Antoine presses himself on the balcony railing, something I at least do all the time outside but something you'd never see in a movie usually. Tomino's got all kinds of moments like that, but while Truffaut could just roll the tape and let his actors do their thing, Tomino has to consider each little background movement and get the animators and what not aboard on it. What a lad

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Putting IBO into a musou would be super neat, but I can't help but feel like that universe would be better suited to something more Soulslike-ey (or more specifically Sekiro-ey). Slower and more deliberate action, more brutal hits. Maybe add in some locational damage mechanics to incorporate just how often IBO mobile suits get hosed the gently caress up.

An IBO game should be one where cutting a mech's arm off is both possible and a good idea.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Reborn was fine. It's got problems but it was totally playable and fun and being custom soundtrack compatible meant the generic soundtrack didn't matter. We really should've gotten a sequel to iron out the kinks.

MBON's the actual good game we've gotten recently and it's a shame Gundam Versus was an intentional self sabotage of trying to get the Vs games really going on consoles

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Putting IBO into a musou would be super neat, but I can't help but feel like that universe would be better suited to something more Soulslike-ey (or more specifically Sekiro-ey). Slower and more deliberate action, more brutal hits. Maybe add in some locational damage mechanics to incorporate just how often IBO mobile suits get hosed the gently caress up.

An IBO game should be one where cutting a mech's arm off is both possible and a good idea.

Honestly, Gundam Battle Operation has pretty great IBO-style mech combat. A Code Fairy-style spinoff set in the Post Disaster setting would probably be an excellent idea. Have you as a Gjallarhorn squad in the Arianrhod Fleet, brought in to deal with crises all over the solar system.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

IBO isn't really very slow. Even discounting Super Killmyself-jin Barbatos Mode combat is usually extremely fast and you absolutely get "people buzzsaw through units" stuff. The times when it looks slow are usually involve crappy pilots unprepared for their machines, otherwise it's pretty fast and anime.

Most notably I really don't think IBO is more about location damage or loving up suits than other Gundam shows. The only thing it really does differently is that suits don't explode as often, but there's no shortage of limbs being hosed right up in other shows. Usually one of the best way to drive away an ace is to blow off a limb or two. (And of course there's plenty of pilots who explicitly target limbs/weapons at times.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

IBO isn't really very slow. Even discounting Super Killmyself-jin Barbatos Mode combat is usually extremely fast and you absolutely get "people buzzsaw through units" stuff. The times when it looks slow are usually involve crappy pilots unprepared for their machines, otherwise it's pretty fast and anime.

Most notably I really don't think IBO is more about location damage or loving up suits than other Gundam shows. The only thing it really does differently is that suits don't explode as often, but there's no shortage of limbs being hosed right up in other shows. Usually one of the best way to drive away an ace is to blow off a limb or two. (And of course there's plenty of pilots who explicitly target limbs/weapons at times.)

When I'm talking 'slow' I mean in comparison to others (it's definitely not slow by most non-Gundam metrics), and I think the more important word there is 'deliberate'. IBO never really does a clash with a whole flurry of attacks that don't really matter, every swing in an IBO fight is doing something.

And similarly I think I associate IBO with severe suit damage because when a suit gets wrecked in IBO, it matters both in terms of the visceral shots of the action, and the ongoing effects of what that hit did. In contrast I recently finished season one of 00, and while that final battle is still really good, there's a lot of instances of not just suit dismemberment that lacks weight when it happens, but also suit dismemberment that doesn't seem to do anything. The Kyrios loses most of one side and doesn't seem any weaker for it, and there's several suits that lose their heads and don't seem to actually be any worse for wear. I'm not sure Patrick Coleslaw even noticed, but that's more on him.

None of that is necessarily unique in Gundam (hell, I'd say Gundam 0079 had both of these as well, albeit probably motivated by budget), but IBO goes hard and specific enough on that direction that I feel like I'd want a dedicated IBO game to use it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

When I'm talking 'slow' I mean in comparison to others (it's definitely not slow by most non-Gundam metrics), and I think the more important word there is 'deliberate'. IBO never really does a clash with a whole flurry of attacks that don't really matter, every swing in an IBO fight is doing something.

And similarly I think I associate IBO with severe suit damage because when a suit gets wrecked in IBO, it matters both in terms of the visceral shots of the action, and the ongoing effects of what that hit did. In contrast I recently finished season one of 00, and while that final battle is still really good, there's a lot of instances of not just suit dismemberment that lacks weight when it happens, but also suit dismemberment that doesn't seem to do anything. The Kyrios loses most of one side and doesn't seem any weaker for it, and there's several suits that lose their heads and don't seem to actually be any worse for wear. I'm not sure Patrick Coleslaw even noticed, but that's more on him.

None of that is necessarily unique in Gundam (hell, I'd say Gundam 0079 had both of these as well, albeit probably motivated by budget), but IBO goes hard and specific enough on that direction that I feel like I'd want a dedicated IBO game to use it.

I know you are and I don't agree at all. There are plenty of fights in IBO which are only separated from other Gundam shows by the fact that the swords aren't glowing. Barbatos has a particularly heavy aesthetic but that is mostly Barbatos. Bael vs Kimaris for example plays out exactly like any big drag out Gundam fight would right down to the "flying so quickly you leave tiny explosions behind you while you clash" shots.

Now a big part of that is because S2 of IBO goes into the usual Power Bloat that hits so many series where everything becomes faster and deadlier. If we were only talking about S1 I'd probably agree because S1 is focused almost exclusively on extremely small fights. But S2 is as much a part of IBO as S1.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Monaghan posted:

The Gundam vs series was for years, if not still is, the most popular game in Japanese arcades and is super deep yet incredibly easy to just pick up and play.

Like it's not just a good gundam game, it's a good game even if gundam stuff wasn't in it.

I absolutely love EXVS and have played thousands of hours of it across multiple entries and would count it as one of my favorite game franchises ever - I literally bought a PS3 for Full Boost and I bought a PS4 for Gundam Versus(thank christ Maxi Boost came out later).

"Incredibly easy to just pick up and play" is a real headscratcher statement to me. It's a brutally impenetrable game on the level of any high level fighting game, except debatably even worse; even a relatively small skill gap in EXVS can lead to one team almost literally running circles around the other and never getting hit while effortlessly blowing them to bits. I've taught a fair amount of friends to play the series over the years and it's always a long process. One of the few mitigating factors to how long the process is is that unlike other fighting games, the best way to learn EXVS is to just play it and get your skull beaten in, since training mode lobbies don't really provide any benefit due to so much of the learning curve being learning how to move when a player is trying to kill you.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I know you are and I don't agree at all. There are plenty of fights in IBO which are only separated from other Gundam shows by the fact that the swords aren't glowing. Barbatos has a particularly heavy aesthetic but that is mostly Barbatos. Bael vs Kimaris for example plays out exactly like any big drag out Gundam fight would right down to the "flying so quickly you leave tiny explosions behind you while you clash" shots.

Now a big part of that is because S2 of IBO goes into the usual Power Bloat that hits so many series where everything becomes faster and deadlier. If we were only talking about S1 I'd probably agree because S1 is focused almost exclusively on extremely small fights. But S2 is as much a part of IBO as S1.

Lessee...

The initial clash has McGillis's charge being interrupted. Second attack has Gaelio landing a blue on blue. Third exchange has McGillis spearing Gaelio through the hand after two attacks are blocked. Gaelio is forced to deploy his drill to break the grapple. McGillis then discards one of his swords due to the damage it took from Gaelio's fire, then lodges his remaining sword in the side of Gaelio's cockpit, repeating season one's "killing blow"... and leaving him open to a punch that knocks him flying. This gets followed by a quick streaks of light clash, but when we zoom in again, McGillis shoots Gaelio to knock him off balance, then goes in with a kick to knock away his lance. Gaelio switches the Type E to maximum in response, drawing his katana. This forces them into close melee, where McGillis punches Gaelio in the damaged spot and Gaelio goes for a headbutt, both repeating the Amuro and Char visual and letting McGillis get in position to cleave off an arm, then a shoulder binder.

A strong kick lets Gaelio reset the engagement, charging in to take advantage of his stronger thrusters. McGillis tries to evade him, but is forced back against the Skipjack.

We get a few seconds of the kind of clash being discussed here, but it ends with McGillis's remaining sword breaking under the pressure. Gaelio then rips off his remaining shoulder binder to try to spear McGillis with it, narrowly missing the Bael's center of mass, before pinning him with the drill, then ripping the drill out to directly tag McGillis's cockpit.

McGillis fires his railguns to try to force Gaelio away, but they're still locked in the grapple. His thrusters fire, launching them into the hangar bay, killing a bunch of engineers, and ending the Mobile Suit phase of the fight.

I wouldn't go as far as to say every attack matters, but almost every major exchange ended with the fight advancing to a new stage, with both combatants steadily losing options until they're reduced to shooting each other on foot. You can tell who's winning at any point, and what both sides have lost in the process. All in all, the two minutes and ten seconds devoted to the fight do show a lot of IBO's standard weight and intent, despite the flashier moves.

(Hell, the Graze McGillis kills gets more attention than any dozen mooks in SEED put together.)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Imp is right

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

If you haven't played it you should play Breaker 3 which is functionally a musou game but with customizable robutts.

Oh I love Breaker 3, it's very close to a musou but also not quite there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW7GYCbu6Os

Best quality of this one I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I think it looks kind of hideous. It's like someone applied one of those awful video game emulator filters to it so everything looks kind of smudged.