Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have only ever done shipboard and industrial electrical work, not super familiar with residential, but it looks like that panel has a lot more problems than just being housed in a husky case.

At first I thought that it was kind of an innovative weatherproofing solution until I saw it open and noticed that the entire back was torn off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

Did he run away from the job because he didn't have time to do all that work? Hates money? Homeowner wouldn't pay the amount required?

Just curious as my skill level is in the change outlets arena only.

It's probably going to require ripping everything past the city meter out and redoing it all. It's not going to be cheap that's for sure. I'll have to ask him what the end outcome was.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

mattfl posted:

It's probably going to require ripping everything past the city meter out and redoing it all. It's not going to be cheap that's for sure. I'll have to ask him what the end outcome was.

The panel enclosure would need complete replacement and I would imagine that would be a bit of a job. I also don't understand why the incoming feeds go to a breaker in the middle of the panel as opposed to the lugs up top. The breakers just sitting at the bottom seem weird to me as well, and it looks like one is attached to a cord, perhaps for a generator? I never do residential work and am very curious about that breaker in the middle of the panel.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

You may have found one of the many lost Home Guard stashes of 'No.76 Special incendiary grenades' that were left over from WW2 and periodically get found. Nightmare fuel self-igniting phospherous 'grenades' in glass bottles. Like these ones that were rediscovered,

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/bombs-grenades-ice-rink-discovered-14225907

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I also don't understand why the incoming feeds go to a breaker in the middle of the panel as opposed to the lugs up top.

That's how you turn a main lug panel into a main breaker panel. Why one wouldn't just replace the entire panel if this was needed is only one of the many questions I have here. But clearly there are too many throws in that one for a main lug panel to be allowed by code pretty much anywhere, so you can "solve" it like that.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
How it started: “don’t worry about those cracks I’ll just put some plaster on it”
How it is going:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Just asked my brother for a follow up on the Husky electrical box. It's a bid job so he hasn't done anything on it yet, he put in a 10k bid to basically completely rebuild the service.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

mattfl posted:

Just asked my brother for a follow up on the Husky electrical box. It's a bid job so he hasn't done anything on it yet, he put in a 10k bid to basically completely rebuild the service.

Oh nice, thanks for the further info everyone!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

mattfl posted:

Burning the whole house to the ground for the insurance money seems more profitable.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Baconroll posted:

You may have found one of the many lost Home Guard stashes of 'No.76 Special incendiary grenades' that were left over from WW2 and periodically get found. Nightmare fuel self-igniting phospherous 'grenades' in glass bottles. Like these ones that were rediscovered,

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/bombs-grenades-ice-rink-discovered-14225907

If you find any more, send them to Ukraine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

By popular demand posted:

Burning the whole house to the ground for the insurance money seems more profitable.

Not with how stupid home values are now.
I got a $30K quote to replace about half of my drain plumbing (stupid main sewer line under the foundation is cast iron, and therefore cracked,) which I basically had to laugh at. Because it basically isn't happening. I understand it's a lot of digging, but that only accounted for half the cost. I'm incredulous that the PVC and 24 hours or so of plumber labor is worth $15K. For that matter, I'm incredulous that they're going to pay the two laborers that will be digging $400/hr as in the quote. What really sucks is that I've used these plumbers before and they were reasonable and did good work. This was a new guy on the team, though, and felt like a "gently caress off" price.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Darchangel posted:

Not with how stupid home values are now.
I got a $30K quote to replace about half of my drain plumbing (stupid main sewer line under the foundation is cast iron, and therefore cracked,) which I basically had to laugh at. Because it basically isn't happening. I understand it's a lot of digging, but that only accounted for half the cost. I'm incredulous that the PVC and 24 hours or so of plumber labor is worth $15K. For that matter, I'm incredulous that they're going to pay the two laborers that will be digging $400/hr as in the quote. What really sucks is that I've used these plumbers before and they were reasonable and did good work. This was a new guy on the team, though, and felt like a "gently caress off" price.

Either the laborers are subs (we pay our "house subs" $250 or so per window, for example- in reality 1099s that used to work for us and quit to work exclusively for us and handle their own taxes because subs make "more money") or the line price is wage + burden + markup. If I can make $400 an hour digging loving holes I'm getting a new job tomorrow.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 18, 2022

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

PurpleXVI posted:

I remember once while we were doing some renovations at this kinda mansiony-looking place, we found some ancient newspapers, narrating the uncertainty and upheaval of mandatory public schooling's introduction in Denmark. Stuff like that is kind of interesting.

I forget which series but one of the various Tudor/Victorian/etc. farm shows talks about how the lacemaking industry in Britain was decimated by mandatory education. Huge compromises about how girls could go to school when the light wasn't good but they would need to be home during daylight to continue bobbin lacemaking lessons and well, making lace. Child labour was a big part of the tenant farmer's extra income.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

This happens a lot in cellular sites. I worked for a time installing equipment in the little sheds under the towers, and you'd find zorched snakes and frogs and reptiles all the time. Most of the cellular equipment runs at like 24v 100a or so, so the power distribution systems are nice and toasty. I was down in Orlando so there was tons of critters to crawl into a site and seek out a nice dark warm space. Great home until critter steps across both bus bars.

Sometimes you could open the cover and find a literal layer of frog skeletons at the bottom of the cabinet.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:smithfrog:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Enos Shenk posted:

This happens a lot in cellular sites. I worked for a time installing equipment in the little sheds under the towers, and you'd find zorched snakes and frogs and reptiles all the time. Most of the cellular equipment runs at like 24v 100a or so, so the power distribution systems are nice and toasty. I was down in Orlando so there was tons of critters to crawl into a site and seek out a nice dark warm space. Great home until critter steps across both bus bars.

Sometimes you could open the cover and find a literal layer of frog skeletons at the bottom of the cabinet.

On the other hand: Squirrels are dumb as poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/I7OwZ8X.mp4

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Electrocution hurts, animals getting fried makes me sad.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

BonerGhost posted:

Electrocution hurts, animals getting fried makes me sad.

The good news is that animals getting electrocuted inside substations can be bad for the equipment, so most electric utilities are putting in animal protection inside their distribution sites. The distribution stuff is close enough that small animals can cross the phases, but high voltage transmission is usually spaced far enough apart.

So it’s not directly out of care for the animals, just for the effects on the bottom line, but it’s still a win.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Platystemon posted:

“Suicide cords are played out.”

“I have an idea.”

So, embarrassing story time. The other day while using my hedge trimmer, I cut my extension cord. Annoying, but whatever, I stop at Lowes after work, grab a new plug, throw it on the extension cord, done.

I go to use it yesterday, plug it in, go to plug in my hedge trimmer to the other end, and wait a minute, why is this end male? ... I definitely plugged the male end in to the outlet already....

Yeah, somehow I autopiloted the purchase of a new plug and the repair of the cord without ever thinking about or checking which end had been damaged, and I made a suicide cord that was now hot and being held in my hand. And I had obviously picked it up quite carelessly since I had no reason to suspect it was gonna murder me, so hey, pretty happy I didn't touch the hurty parts.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Slugworth posted:

So, embarrassing story time. The other day while using my hedge trimmer, I cut my extension cord. Annoying, but whatever, I stop at Lowes after work, grab a new plug, throw it on the extension cord, done.

I go to use it yesterday, plug it in, go to plug in my hedge trimmer to the other end, and wait a minute, why is this end male? ... I definitely plugged the male end in to the outlet already....

Yeah, somehow I autopiloted the purchase of a new plug and the repair of the cord without ever thinking about or checking which end had been damaged, and I made a suicide cord that was now hot and being held in my hand. And I had obviously picked it up quite carelessly since I had no reason to suspect it was gonna murder me, so hey, pretty happy I didn't touch the hurty parts.

Excellent lesson. I could see myself doing something similar when I don't stop to think about what I'm doing.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

tomapot posted:

How it started: “don’t worry about those cracks I’ll just put some plaster on it”
How it is going:

Looks like part of a restoration/development plan:

https://www.thempc.org/eagenda/x/mp...BE33AD7DA98.pdf

https://savannahagenda.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/30-32-MLK-rendering.pdf

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

D34THROW posted:

Isn't there a loving phone number to call for this exact thing?

Saint Freak posted:

That number only works before you dig. If you call after you start digging it's just a room full of people on speakerphone that laugh at you.

hence the name

He posted this final explanation, and seems like he didn't actually do anything wrong.

quote:

Right, update: OP is still alive. I called the fire brigade after a few strongly worded replies and PMs on here, thanks by the way! They had a dig and measured the water and ground around the area to be 45 degrees C (113F) and suspected that I’d hit a live cable. Well done to those that said electricity! I’m bewildered really, as we’ve had the house two years so I’d seen all the documents recently enough showing that there should be no wires there and we’d done a full rewire so obviously all old wiring was cut. Turns out that it’s a 3 phase cable that runs directly off the mains, through our land and stops close to the brook at the end of the garden. So thank you to everyone that spelled out danger and insisted that I call the fire brigade!

quote:

It serves no purpose. The call out team’s best guess is that there used to be a substation somewhere behind the house or plans were made for one that never came to be. I can’t imagine either as it’s a farmer’s fields. They dug out, snipped it a couple feet away from where I’d hit it, sealed it off and put a housing around it. So essentially I still have a live wire running approximately 35-40m through my land. As it runs under the driveway (that needs dug up and widened at some point), alongside the house (where our expansion potential is that we may do at some point), and under the garage (which is asbestos and definitely needs replaced) I will be pushing the power company to come and remove or deaden the wire that’s left there. It just doesn’t make sense for it to be there and certainly not 350mm below the soil in my back garden!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Slugworth posted:

Yeah, somehow I autopiloted the purchase of a new plug and the repair of the cord without ever thinking about or checking which end had been damaged, and I made a suicide cord
Edited to reflect my own cord repair story from a few years back. I didn't plug it in BUT I do still have the cord hanging in my garage.

I really should fix it properly but just haven't gotten around to it and my excuse is no one else would ever grab the cord to use it so it's mostly fine right? :v:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I would be requesting the 3 phase be extended to my asbestos garage and just put gravel on the driveway when it gets too bad personally.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tangy yet delightful posted:

Edited to reflect my own cord repair story from a few years back. I didn't plug it in BUT I do still have the cord hanging in my garage.

I really should fix it properly but just haven't gotten around to it and my excuse is no one else would ever grab the cord to use it so it's mostly fine right? :v:

One day you will die and the unmarked suicide cord will be a fun inheritance for your family.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My wife is at Home Depot with the kid and texted me this. Someone is definitely going to buy and attempt this.

Bonus: our kid

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Please don't flush the doggo.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Saint Freak posted:

My wife is at Home Depot with the kid and texted me this. Someone is definitely going to buy and attempt this.

Bonus: our kid

She must not have seen the one that can flush a whole set of billiard balls.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

By popular demand posted:

Please don't flush the doggo.

Potty train your kid and chase it with golf balls

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

therobit posted:

I would be requesting the 3 phase be extended to my asbestos garage and just put gravel on the driveway when it gets too bad personally.

No poo poo. Free three-phase!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Three-phase was a self-ban not a mod ban, I don't think they can free him unless he wants to come back

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Three-phase was a self-ban not a mod ban, I don't think they can free him unless he wants to come back

:golfclap:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

He always seemed like a decent poster, is this where I find out he was a sex pest or into children or whatever other usual horrific thing is revealed about SA posters?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

SyNack Sassimov posted:

He always seemed like a decent poster, is this where I find out he was a sex pest or into children or whatever other usual horrific thing is revealed about SA posters?

It was just to take a break from the forums for their mental health I think. Though I am hoping I am not wrong.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Saint Freak posted:

I have two of those; while I have not attempted the golf ball challenge, they have taken care of the remnants of egregious dining mistakes from the prior evening with aplomb.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They have youtube videos so you don't have to attempt it personally

Jows
May 8, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

Flush the balls, coward!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Jows posted:

Flush the balls, coward!

My toilet attracts :females:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Jows posted:

Flush the balls, coward!

I don't want them ripped off though :gonk:

Anne Whateley posted:

Crappy Construction: They have youtube videos so you don't have to attempt it personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

wesleywillis posted:

My toilet attracts :females:

my toilet brings all the females to the recessed bath

eh, the joke doesn't feel well supported