Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

pylb posted:

French here, I was pretty young when they happened but I do recall them clearly being labelled as wars in the media.
I don't remember much of my history classes but I'm pretty sure we were taught something along the lines of "civil war in Yugoslavia happened because with the decline of the Soviet Union, people in Soviet republics were looking for independence,
and there were ethnic and religious tensions between the various groups."
Which is an odd thing to say since Yugoslavia was not a Soviet satellite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

They would 100% shot down any unknown plane. If it was just a matter of humanitarian aid then you could negotiate a corridor and use regular trucks.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

pylb posted:

I don't remember much of my history classes but I'm pretty sure we were taught something along the lines of "civil war in Yugoslavia happened because with the decline of the Soviet Union, people in Soviet republics were looking for independence,
and there were ethnic and religious tensions between the various groups."

Which makes my eyes roll so much.

We *were not* part of the Soviet Union ever since Tito said to Stalin the political equivalent of gently caress you and became essentially a neutral country with the Informbiro. While the decline of the Soviet Union has made Yugoslavia quite financially unstable, it didn't help that the country itself was running on debt. And also it didn't help that Tito was by and large the reason Yugoslavia was a stable country.

I really wish we werent just tossed aside the Soviet Union but ignorance is bliss as they say and the Western/Northern Europe/world runs on it.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

Sankis posted:

It's a war crime because they're being used for propaganda, i think.

Speaking of war crimes, just saw a super cool video of some (description of some real bad stuff, :nws: :nms:)civilians having their pants pulled down and tied to signposts by soldiers so that was fun to see. twitter is really fun sometimes. make sure everyone has autoplay videos off!!

Been a lot of those. Most of the videos claim the victims are looters. Not that that's any kind of excuse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TearsOfPirates posted:

Which makes my eyes roll so much.

We *were not* part of the Soviet Union ever since Tito said to Stalin the political equivalent of gently caress you and became essentially a neutral country with the Informbiro. While the decline of the Soviet Union has made Yugoslavia quite financially unstable, it didn't help that the country itself was running on debt. And also it didn't help that Tito was by and large the reason Yugoslavia was a stable country.

I really wish we werent just tossed aside the Soviet Union but ignorance is bliss as they say and the Western/Northern Europe/world runs on it.

Leading legal minds disagree

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Slovakia, you know that country next to Chechnya. /s

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

alex314 posted:

They would 100% shot down any unknown plane. If it was just a matter of humanitarian aid then you could negotiate a corridor and use regular trucks.

Sending in aid via ballistic missile it is then. Flour and spaghetti should survive the trip.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Sending in aid via ballistic missile it is then. Flour and spaghetti should survive the trip.

That would require your supply of ballistic missiles to be converted for that kind of usage, and used up. Probably converting AN-2 to drones and sending a swarm of them would be more successful.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Claiming its some kind of nefarious British plot is something fake irsh people in America get up to when they want to pretend to be oppressed as white people in America.
This is an incredibly weird take. Notorious fake Irish person in America, the President of Ireland. https://m.independent.ie/news/president-higgins-says-he-was-annoyed-at-dup-not-church-leaders-over-giving-him-the-wrong-title-40862057.html

quote:

At that time, President Higgins said: “They keep referring to me as the President of the Republic of Ireland - I am the President of Ireland.”
There may be a time an place to use the term Republic of Ireland technically speaking, but British politicians most definitely misuse it (and in the case of the DUP, for sure on purpose) by using it in every context. It is enough of a misnomer to get the lovable gnome that presides over Ireland to cancel an official visit, it's definitely not something made up by idiots in the US.

It would be like a part of Russia breaking away from it and Russian politicians misnomering it on purpose all the time more than 100 years later.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Threadkiller Dog posted:

The flour would explode on impact.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Slugworth posted:

This may have been touched upon already (I guess it almost has to have been) but is there really no way to airdrop food/supplies to Mariupol? What's the limiting factor? Does Russian AA just make it impossible, or would it be considered an act of war for a NATO plane to be in Ukrainian air? Or is it simply too much of a gamble, because everyone knows Russians shooting down a plane would almost force a response?

Yes to all.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

You can stuff them with MREs, medicine, and baby food but I guess the main issue is water.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Saladman posted:

Tbh I think photographing and making them is good - isn’t that even like.. standard practice? Like how else is your family back home supposed to know you’re alive if there’s not a photo and location of you as a POW? Or is it a "war crime" because the Ukrainian military doing it and not the Red Cross?

That's not how it works. You take their name and necessary identification information, health condition etc. and then report that to International Red Cross who then inform the other country. Posting videos on TikTok is not an alternative.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

alex314 posted:

That would require your supply of ballistic missiles to be converted for that kind of usage, and used up. Probably converting AN-2 to drones and sending a swarm of them would be more successful.

My ballistic spaghetti suggestion was not entirely serious I'm afraid. But perhaps adding a parachute stage would be helpful, for safety at least.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Saladman posted:

Tbh I think photographing and making them is good - isn’t that even like.. standard practice? Like how else is your family back home supposed to know you’re alive if there’s not a photo and location of you as a POW? Or is it a "war crime" because the Ukrainian military doing it and not the Red Cross?

It's a war crime because historically armed forces have tortured POW's into making statements for propaganda purposes, and because pows are vulnerable to exploitation and abuse.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Yeah if Putin's goal was to make Ukraine as virulantly anti russian as Poland is, I would say he is achieving his goal. Cannot think of a better way to unify the country either.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

From what I've read, Putin is literally high off his own propaganda along with him still living in the 1980s. The world has significantly changed and he hasn't kept up but I do agree it's good question of not only how did Putin mess this up but along with so many western intelligence agencies predicting that Ukraine would fall in weeks.

How did they misunderstand the that Russian Armed Forces were only paper tigers and not effective in real war?

Keep in mind that in 2014 Putin did capture Crimea very quickly.

The big surprise here isn't Russian collapse. It's that Ukraine managed to develop a modern first tier military in under 8 years.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Russia using their high cost high grade military weapons with precision

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1505503903202385920?s=20&t=3yVAdhXPbnQRnNKQh8VS5Q

That's what, a 100,000 weapon that destroyed an enemy washbasin.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah if Putin's goal was to make Ukraine as virulantly anti russian as Poland is, I would say he is achieving his goal. Cannot think of a better way to unify the country either.

It's completely nuts, isn't it. "My unwavering belief is that Russians and Ukrainians are one people and this bond can never be broken". *Proceeds to break the bond in four weeks*

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Franks Happy Place posted:

Also from where is this idea that Russia has an infinite pool of people to draw from originating? Their population is only roughly 3x Ukraine's, this isn't like Canada vs. USA or UK vs. Ireland.

(They also both have bad demographic challenges but between Ukranian men moving home to fight and it being on their home turf vs. Russia having to ship in conscripts from the sticks despite their existing logistical challenges, it's probably way worse on the aggressor in this case).

People basing their posts off hoi4 and vic2

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
loving nazi piece of poo poo washbin.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The myth of the cleaned wehrmacht.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't judge until you can see what was in the destroyed kitchen cabinet next to the washbasin.

E: Receiving reports washbasin strike eliminated notorious skinhead with extensive experience in "cleanising"

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 20, 2022

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Fabulous Knight posted:

It's completely nuts, isn't it. "My unwavering belief is that Russians and Ukrainians are one people and this bond can never be broken". *Proceeds to break the bond in four weeks*

It's even nuttier than that because the areas currently occupied, marauded and war-crimed are predominantly Russian speaking, the nazi banderovites are supposed to be living in the west

The hate between Russians and Ukrainians is going to last for generations and trauma psychologists that studied Rwanda and the Balkans are going to have even more work in the future

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

happyhippy posted:

loving nazi piece of poo poo washbin.

Cleanses both dishes and minorities!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Comstar posted:

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1505503903202385920?s=20&t=3yVAdhXPbnQRnNKQh8VS5Q

Wtf? Who installed a kitchen and a bathroom sink side by side? I mean, yeah, the missile is also kinda weird but wtf is it with the sinks?

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Comstar posted:

The sink has been destroyed the washbasin is unharmed! Also... why is there a washbasin right next to the sink? :confused:

Edit: beaten

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Sounds like completely made up Ukrainian fanfiction propaganda, but I choose to believe it anyway.
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1505518177932955649

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Keep in mind that in 2014 Putin did capture Crimea very quickly.

The big surprise here isn't Russian collapse. It's that Ukraine managed to develop a modern first tier military in under 8 years.

Having an armed, active, and backed-by-a-major-power rebellion in your backyard would be a pretty good grindstone to shape a military into that.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

BoldFace posted:

Sounds like completely made up Ukrainian fanfiction propaganda, but I choose to believe it anyway.

Let's just hope Putin doesn't read the Kyiv Independent.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Would be funny if that's disinfo from Ukraine to inject some paranoia into the Russian info-sphere

If serious I hope it's not true. Any person from the FSB/military is going to be Putin 2.0 and back to building a country-wide gulag ran by conspiracy-theorist grandpas very quickly

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Cool double standards in this thread again, "Ukrainians did [a thing], they are evil nazi monsters" vs. "The Russians bombed yet another civilian target/shot up an ambulance/put minefield on the evacuation corridor/pressgang civilians into militia, oh well its just those crazy, jolly ol'Ruskies for you, back to their best hits mix of the 90's I see.".

What the gently caress are you on about?

Sankis posted:

Yeah, I think so. The soldiers had yellow armbands ( I didn't look too long, though) and someone in the comments, though who the gently caress knows, said they were doing that to people who refused to fight.

which is a super cool thing to do in a place you can't leave

In the future, please just post actual video you saw, tagged appropriately, instead of giving a vague recollection of a sensational claim. It’s worthless at best to present it the way that you have done.

Slugworth posted:

Does Russian AA just make it impossible

Yes.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

KitConstantine posted:

Speaking of trucks (no one was but I wanna post this) truck guy posted a new thread and it both explains his single minded focus and posits a potential hard deadline for the end of Russian offensives. It's a good thread and not too long
https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1505370277341024260?t=BoPmpvKgCrYZBAQ3-KWTvw&s=19
I'll post the punchline for people who don't wanna twitter
https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1505370328549179392?t=s3HQkCZVnkG6-W6g-zxvgg&s=19
Nowhere in the thread does he actually support his conclusions of 6-8 weeks.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Let's just hope Putin doesn't read the Kyiv Independent.

Maybe that's the plan? Seems like a good way to get rid of the FSB head.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Belarus is trending on twitter right now and the consensus is the Belarusian army will move from Brest into western Ukraine in the next 48 hours. Finding anything official right now of course isn't easy.

https://twitter.com/PavelLatushka/status/1505521453160181763

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think Putin is turning to "Let's Kill Putin Daily Gazette" for policy suggestions.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

BoldFace posted:

I’d say it’s a lot more likely that this is a low-effort attempt to raise Putin’s paranoia regarding his inner circle. If it was real why on earth would you blurt it out to the world?

Silent Movie
Jul 23, 2007

Tomn posted:

I’d say it’s a lot more likely that this is a low-effort attempt to raise Putin’s paranoia regarding his inner circle. If it was real why on earth would you blurt it out to the world?
Because it makes for a headline that rips.

21st century Kyiv new media top headline: Putin didn't expect this one thing to happen (not an opinion piece)

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

GABA ghoul posted:

Wtf? Who installed a kitchen and a bathroom sink side by side? I mean, yeah, the missile is also kinda weird but wtf is it with the sinks?

Imagine how surprised the photographer on the dining room toilet must feel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Tamba posted:

Maybe that's the plan? Seems like a good way to get rid of the FSB head.

I know Putin is not personally browsing the internet while taking a dump on his golden toilet but this reminded me. A couple of months ago Putin went to meet with school children and spread some propaganda. One of the kinds asked him to "subscribe" to his channel. Putin was really confused and was asking what he has to sign for the kid.