Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s about killing Chaos.

The plot is incredibly backloaded, and once it starts it’s very spoilery, so I understand people not talking about it.

:ohdear: Does he kill Chaos?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It is pretty straightforward and the game drops enough hints that you can figure out what is happening before the reveal.

I guess we could speculate on what's gonna happen in the upcoming final dlc that was titled something like Another Future or something like that. I hope it involves a Jack kicking the poo poo out of all the Lufernians and getting a happy ending.
Astos too, I think he earned it. I was pleasantly surprised by how much affection I had for the characters by the end, Jack’s up there for me for video game protags.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the voice acting is uneven but Astos' performance is unironically stellar especially the cutscene before the boss fight

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Calaveron posted:

Don't know what to think about that there's been zero plot discussion for this game after release

Bullshit.

*Blasts nu metal*

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's a weird thing because if you pick up the lore orbs on the ground and read the logs you'll have exactly how the game is going to go figured out by the end of, like, Sunken Shrine

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Calaveron posted:

No one quoting the seminal climax line of don't you get it Jack, we don't belong in this paradise, this final fantasy, we are strangers of it

I guessed this was a fakepost at first but the more I think about it the more it feels like something they'd actually say in the game

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Urdnot Fire posted:

Astos too, I think he earned it. I was pleasantly surprised by how much affection I had for the characters by the end, Jack’s up there for me for video game protags.

Of course. A true bro. :respek:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The game does remain unintentionally funny all the way through. The scene where Jack sadly goes for a fistbump but all his friends are dead made me borderline hysterical

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

thetoughestbean posted:

The game does remain unintentionally funny all the way through. The scene where Jack sadly goes for a fistbump but all his friends are dead made me borderline hysterical

I'm not sure unintentional is the right word there. They definitely aimed right at the cheese and gunned it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

The final stage just being Jack screaming nonstop about Chaos had me laughing throughout the entire thing.

Blockhouse posted:

I think the voice acting is uneven but Astos' performance is unironically stellar especially the cutscene before the boss fight

Yeah the part where he's begging Jack to remember something and Jack is like "Um... the king of the dark elves?" and he gives this tiny "is that all?" is genuinely incredibly good voice acting. Like he had no reason to act that line as well as he did. The entire game is this borderline nonsense bullshit and yet somehow he managed to put genuine emotion into the line about angry punchman not remembering his promise.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 20, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/alex_moukala/status/1505169765685411851

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Now that I've unlocked Sage I can't think of a good reason to ever switch back to the lesser magic classes other than to unlock other jobs. Is it as ridiculously OP as it seems?

Dragoon remains my other go-to "time to win instead of learning the dodge window on this boss" class, beginning with Tiamat they've all fallen to the spear :twisted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Now that I've unlocked Sage I can't think of a good reason to ever switch back to the lesser magic classes other than to unlock other jobs. Is it as ridiculously OP as it seems?

Dragoon remains my other go-to "time to win instead of learning the dodge window on this boss" class, beginning with Tiamat they've all fallen to the spear :twisted:

There are some reasons to go back to older ones. Sage can't Raise for example which can be nice in multiplayer. Flare/Holy are also a bit less involved than Ultima in terms of buildup.

That said I never went back once I got it. Sage is too good and TBH probably could eat a nerf and still be insanely good.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

DrPossum posted:

:ohdear: Does he kill Chaos?!

no

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
"What a beautiful view..but it ill puts me at ease.."
"Of course. You've seen what lurks in the shadows."
"CUBES HERE"

this game is art

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

They really should have said that a 2000 or 3000 series card is required for SoP.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It doesn't help, the port is just poorly optimized. My 3070 struggles at the weirdest times.

Some patches will hopefully fix it up soon.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

The FF13 stage was causing me major lag even on a 3080. That's some insanely bad performance if it can slow down a 3080 at 1080p.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The game runs a bit rough in general, even on PS5 if there's a lot of particle effects it will get a bit chunky despite usually running fine.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Blockhouse posted:

It's a weird thing because if you pick up the lore orbs on the ground and read the logs you'll have exactly how the game is going to go figured out by the end of, like, Sunken Shrine

Yeah. I’ve not got to the bit where the plot “starts” yet, but I’m pretty sure I know exactly what’s going on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The button to auto equip best gear and this stupid loving demo Im buying this dumb loving game goddamit gently caress chaos

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s like a hunger, or a thirst

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Srice posted:

The game runs a bit rough in general, even on PS5 if there's a lot of particle effects it will get a bit chunky despite usually running fine.

Apparently there's a reason for that:

https://twitter.com/DeathChaos25/status/1505243871009247234?t=9y2L6Aw3fo1ngIhEP_6X5g&s=19

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Oh god it’s the XIV 1.0 barrel all over again lmao

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Do the Nioh games play similiar to this?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

aperfectcirclefan posted:

SoP combat feels slower to me since Nioh typically has you swapping between different stances to extend combos. Smashing things with spells is an option in Nioh as well but there's no radial wheel for that, just consuming charges on your d-pad menu that are restored between rest points. Nioh has a lot of useful consumables that I don't use as often as I should. Most if not all Nioh builds can make use of Onmyo and/or Ninjitsu magic and that includes self buffing or debuffing enemies.

The mission structure is similar in that you're selecting levels on a map, and sometimes the levels are remixed by changing the starting location, enemies and objectives, and opening/closing paths to make it feel a little different. Nioh has a lot of "GOTCHA" level design with enemies placed specifically to gently caress you and I don't think I've seen any of that in SoP so far.

Co-op in both games is fun. Both SoP and Nioh 2 can be played entirely in co-op with full progression between all parties. Nioh 1 does not have full co-op campaign progression. You can summon your buds or randos but all of you will have to progress your campaigns individually IIRC.

I can't speak to itemization in SoP yet since I'm not that far in, but Nioh 1&2 have several new game+ difficulties, and you can start making character builds based on item sets by the time you're finishing your first playthrough.

To me SoP feels like a Final Fantasy beat 'em up, and Nioh feels like a Ninja Gaiden soulslike.

If you like SoP it's not a stretch to say you might like Nioh, and the Nioh games are an absolute steal when they're on sale.

I really like what I've played in SoP so far and I hope this kind of game gets iterated on, but I think it's safe to say Nioh 2 is a much richer experience in terms of game development. They were able to make changes and additions based on what they learned in Nioh 1, there's multiple DLCs at this point, and the performance is more than likely better for most people than SoP at the moment.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 20, 2022

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Sweet sounds good thank you.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

aperfectcirclefan posted:

They're much deeper and much harder. Nioh 2 may be in my top 5 games ever. It's amazingly satisfying and it just keeps going

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Barudak posted:

The button to auto equip best gear and this stupid loving demo Im buying this dumb loving game goddamit gently caress chaos

I have also been convinced by the praise to buy this stupid game I hope it's fun

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I really liked Nioh 1 and 2 and they both run way better than SoP, Nioh 2 in particular was crazy well optimized. The story telling was hyper generic though, couldn't keep me interested at all. It's really weird comparing that to SoP where it feels incredibly entertaining for how basic and repetitive it is but comes off incredibly entertaing because of SoP's cheesy tone. In terms of available skill progression I think I enjoy SoP's approach more but like Diephoon said Nioh 2 is probably ultimately deeper and allows for more customizations and combinations. In comparison to a soulslike I almost hate Nioh 2 and SoP's level design, and in particular I think Nioh 2 went a bit hard on this aspect in places

Diephoon posted:

Nioh has a lot of "GOTCHA" level design with enemies placed specifically to gently caress you and I don't think I've seen any of that in SoP so far.

with several, several back to back levels having this design around almost every single corner. But outside of a comparison to other soulslikes the level design is still fine and good, Nioh 2 is at least a lot better than Nioh 1 here.

I'll definitely echo SoP being a little slower and easier than Nioh 2 so far, I forget if Nioh 2 even has difficulty setting but it feels like it at least defaults to SoP's hard mode.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Every expert fighter job I've unlocked is straight-up worse than Dragoon lol

Paladin seems like it's less useful than even Warrior because you don't have to burn through a bunch of MP to get regen on that, and Dark Knight feels like the damage output isn't significantly better than jobs where it doesn't also eat your HP

Killed Marilith in a single try with Dragoon/Sage, but looking at the level requirements gives me the feeling that I was supposed to go Fire -> Earth instead of the other way around

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So people who have beaten SoP am I wrong or did they really never elaborate on the "collaborator" who gave the Lufenians the dimensional crystal matrix and got dark energy send to them in return?

I wonder if that's sequel set-up or something that's going to be resolved in the DLC

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Chaos did it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm learning I suck rear end at boss battles when I don't use Sage. Had a kinda clever idea of going Liberator with Lancet and a Sun Sword against the Zombie Dragon so I can keep up Mighty Guard while smacking the crap outta the jerk, but constant melee doesn't work well with those poison pools and body slams. Then I finally go with Sage and pretty much cheese the second half of the fight easily.

Magic's really nice in bailing me out of tough fights, though I try not to use it as clutch during regular encounters.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just wrapped up the optional Fiend refights and heading into what I assume is the endgame. Been using Axe wielding Breaker for most of the game cuz of how crazy good it is. Should probably mess around with some others more than just unlocking sometime...

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Starfall is insanely busted. Just shear off two thirds of a boss's break bar, why not

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/ChipCheezum/status/1505377893525995520

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wolfsheim posted:

Every expert fighter job I've unlocked is straight-up worse than Dragoon lol

Paladin seems like it's less useful than even Warrior because you don't have to burn through a bunch of MP to get regen on that, and Dark Knight feels like the damage output isn't significantly better than jobs where it doesn't also eat your HP

Killed Marilith in a single try with Dragoon/Sage, but looking at the level requirements gives me the feeling that I was supposed to go Fire -> Earth instead of the other way around

You use paladin for the extra holy damage when you're at full health, not for the life on hit healing. It's an offensive class, not a defensive one like people are assuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I really enjoyed Lancer but didn't like Dragoon. I'm working towards unlocking Breaker, is that class good?