Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Paladin makes the earth shrine / Raithwall’s tomb an absolute cakewalk. I got a paladin sword that gives me extra combo abilities that do holy damage and I’m eating through the break bars on everything but hippogriffs.

Edit: But overall, unless you need to toss out a ton of holy damage, I think Knight is a better class. Staying topped up at full health to do that extra damage just isn’t super feasible, and knight’s huge break bar plus shield counters rule.

PringleCreamEgg fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I really enjoyed Lancer but didn't like Dragoon. I'm working towards unlocking Breaker, is that class good?

Use an Axe as a Breaker and report back

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

breaker is one of the strongest martial jobs and i used it for most of the main game and chaos difficulty
- Good passives and weapon availability (every 2 hander)
- Zantetsuken is really good for ending trash fights immediately

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zantetsuken is also just super satisfying.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've been getting used to Void Knight and it's very fun just throwing out sword beams.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

I've been getting used to Void Knight and it's very fun just throwing out sword beams.

Void Knight was really good against Tiamat’s second phase. Runic completely absorbs Tri-Disaster and gives either massive damage or 4 full MP bars.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

garthoneeye posted:

Void Knight was really good against Tiamat’s second phase. Runic completely absorbs Tri-Disaster and gives either massive damage or 4 full MP bars.

It sounds like Void Knight/Sage would let the person asking "can I go pure ranged" do what they want

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Yeah Sage is super powerful, haven't tried Void Knight yet. I don't really have to melee with Sage

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beat the game. Despite my complaining the difficulty did end up properly ramping up, but it took way longer than I expected. Ended up changing it down from Hard to Action by the time of the optional Fiend refights cuz they kicked my rear end too much lol.

Dunno when I'll dive back in for Chaos mode since I'm a bit burned out but I had a blast the whole way through.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tiamat is annoyingly difficult for me ugh

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

jokes posted:

Tiamat is annoyingly difficult for me ugh

The bosses in this game are ridiculous much easier with magic than physical. You can try black mage and basically three shot tiamat

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The bosses in this game are ridiculous much easier with magic than physical. You can try black mage and basically three shot tiamat

I am hamstrung by my dedication to only using fists and greatswords

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

And Spears because, holy poo poo, Dragoon is stupid fun and strong. Best iteration of dragoon in a final fantasy, Jump never gets old.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Freya would like a word :colbert:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda wanna see a Final Fantasy 1 3D remake just so they can continue Jack's story and add to it. That's all that matters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Big Scary Owl posted:

I kinda wanna see a Final Fantasy 1 3D remake just so they can continue Jack's story and add to it. That's all that matters.

There's a DLC that is likely to do that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Big Scary Owl posted:

You're all going to complain when a team of straight-laced chumpo novice adventurers beat the rear end of Fred Dust's biggest fan, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

You're all going to complain when a team of straight-laced chumpo novice adventurers beat the rear end of Fred Dust's biggest fan, though.

Considering the ending of the game is literally the Warriors of Light walking in before it smash cuts to the credits with "My Way" playing, no, I don't think anyone is.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cleretic posted:

Jack is gonna stuff those nerds into locker.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Sage is completely stupid with the 400% Black Mage affinity bonus and the MP Regen command, you become a self-sufficient MP battery who can just chain-cast Ultima. Nothing else I've tried (farming 300 Chaos) even comes close.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Jack is 100% okay with getting murdered by the Warriors of Light as long as the Lufenians go down too

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sage is completely stupid with the 400% Black Mage affinity bonus and the MP Regen command, you become a self-sufficient MP battery who can just chain-cast Ultima. Nothing else I've tried (farming 300 Chaos) even comes close.

Ah, the FF6 build.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Still have a grudge against the game existing all these months later, huh.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cleretic posted:

Can you not post like a tedious loser for once in your life

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I started up and beat the game with a couple friends on PC over the long weekend (for me, I had Thursday and Friday off for a work holiday). Overall it's a very fun game to just load up with a couple of bros and beat up the Final Fantasy Staples, along with clowning on each other when someone dies from this or that attack.

I'd say for the borderline most part, the PC port ran fine for me. I ran the game at 1440p 60FPS with all settings maxed. My current PC runs on a 2070 and a Ryzen 5 that I picked up a couple of months after the pandemic started, so I know that my experience isn't typical in the sense that I seem to have avoided some problems that people running on recommended specs have run into, but I thought it might still be valuable to share some of my experiences.

• The worst that the framerate got for me was in cutscenes. I think someone already posted the tweet but the King's right-hand man or chancellor or whatever was the absolute worst of it - every shot of him in the frame just obliterated the framerate.
  • Generally a lot of early cutscenes in the throne room area had some kind of slowdown that would cause the voice track to desync from the lipflaps, although these would sync after the shot ended and the camera angle changed. It may have happened on occasion during other cutscenes, but specifically during the last handful missions I don't recall it happening once (I know some of the cutscenes towards the end are prerendered, but I'm specifically talking about ones that still had my dudes gear shown).
  • Other than that, there were slowdowns that occurred during combat when someone used a finisher while there were a lot of enemies who were also primed to be knocked down out, or when my friend who really likes sage got around to getting their Ultima cast off. I personally found these tolerable, because my other recent benchmark for stutter and slowdown was Elden Ring, who's PC port I'm still heated about because of how awful the frequent DX12 stutters felt in that game.
  • The absolute worst the game got for me in general was in the FF11 and FF15 areas. I'm not exactly sure how or why, but in those areas only I've had some hard crashes, typically after getting hit by a big attack or when large groups fire off skills at once. I've frozen in the FF11 boss, during the Tonberry side mission in the FF11 area, in the FF15 boss, in a fight against a Gigas in the FF15 area, in a fight against a bunch of harpies in the FF15 area, in a random hallway in the FF15 area, and a couple more, at least once per mission in these areas. Like I said, I don't know what it is about these two that hits me like this. Another friend of mine reported that they crashed once in the FF8 area, but that wasn't my experience. I'm really not looking forward to doing the FF15 main mission on Chaos for one of my main job uncaps, so I hope these get patched soon.
  • The game in general does look very ugly and muddy, but I think it was at its worst in the field of wheat that you do the combat tutorials in. I'm also told that this isn't very different from the console experience, so while disappointing from a PC user perspective it also didn't both me much, especially since the combat cues are still clear enough to allow me to act accordingly.

All that said though I think the game's very fun. Honestly if they could fix those crashing issues I had I'd have zero issues with the game - slowdown in cutscenes are annoying but don't affect the gameplay, and the slowdown in-game would be tolerable if it didn't come accompanied with the hanging threat that this one will be the one that causes the game to lock up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Went from Sunleth Waterway mixed with the zone I can't remember that comes right after with the weather switches which is a gently caress yeah! To what appears to be the ridoranis lighthouse which is a gently caress, yeah.

Me and Jack right now? We are vibing

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cleretic posted:

*annoyed grunt*

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, so like, magic seems stupidly overpowered for bosses versus physical classes.

That said, so far every single boss is more unique and interesting than basically any boss in Elden Ring which is wild.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

No, no one is.

Especially since the ending is the whole of Jack's crew agreeing to train the adventurers who could kill them so they can be sure someone can finish the job. Like that's the loving actual plot you weirdo.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i like stranger of paradise

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

finished this on hard difficulty tonight and Sage is just too powerful, especially with Blood Weapon. I also really love axes. Cleared phase 2 of the ff6 stage boss with three fully charged starfalls and nothing else. Looking forward to seeing just how broken i can make some of these jobs with all the master level bonuses.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I was honestly kinda pissed at how easy Tiamat went when I swapped to black mage after literally hours of trying to kill it on melee and phase 2 taking a loving eternity even with lightbringer spam and lots of head chopping. Especially since the game itself puts up a tip to the effect of "hey yeah totally go melee and chop them heads to get phase 2 down fast." :argh:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Stranger of Paradise just now. Coming here to say that you should under no circumstances pass on this game. If you have not bought it yet, then you absolutely need to buy it. This should be at the top of your list of games this year to get through.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Barudak posted:

Went from Sunleth Waterway mixed with the zone I can't remember that comes right after with the weather switches which is a gently caress yeah! To what appears to be the ridoranis lighthouse which is a gently caress, yeah.

Me and Jack right now? We are vibing

The zone after Sunleth is actually the Crystal Tower from 3.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Barudak posted:

Ok, so like, magic seems stupidly overpowered for bosses versus physical classes.

That said, so far every single boss is more unique and interesting than basically any boss in Elden Ring which is wild.

Yeah especially Sage

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Ibblebibble posted:

The zone after Sunleth is actually the Crystal Tower from 3.

It's been so long since I played III I thought that was one of the later areas from IV, though I guess most of these games riff on each other

It's weird not having played VIII-XIV and just missing all those references, makes me wanna go back and give the ones I missed an earnest shot lol

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sure magic is an I Win button once you get the hang of it but I am having a blast in melee. Figuring out when to guard, soul shield, and ability canceling into job switching make facetanking a blast.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wolfsheim posted:

It's been so long since I played III I thought that was one of the later areas from IV, though I guess most of these games riff on each other

It's weird not having played VIII-XIV and just missing all those references, makes me wanna go back and give the ones I missed an earnest shot lol

The area description in the loading screen tells you what game it's from.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Mustached Demon posted:

The area description in the loading screen tells you what game it's from.

I eventually caught onto that but I was fairly high for the stretch between Astos and Tiamat so I definitely missed some nuances

Also some iteration of a crystal cave/tower has popped up at least 3-4 times now, FFIII doesn't own that idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's almost like The Legacy of the Crystals Has Shaped Our History for Long Enough...