Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Majorian posted:

If they get directly, boots-on-the-ground involved, that will be the end of NATO. They can invoke Article V all they like; Western Europe and the US will not have their backs. Poland’s government knows that, so they will not intervene, unless they leave NATO and start their own alliance.

How many times has it been pointed out that NATO members are free to go to war all they like and article 5 doesn't apply to that? It has to have been at least a dozen and I know you've seen it so I don't know why you keep saying this when you know it's not true.

But to add context, I will include this blurb from the NATO website:

quote:

The principle of providing assistance

With the invocation of Article 5, Allies can provide any form of assistance they deem necessary to respond to a situation. This is an individual obligation on each Ally and each Ally is responsible for determining what it deems necessary in the particular circumstances.

This assistance is taken forward in concert with other Allies. It is not necessarily military and depends on the material resources of each country. It is therefore left to the judgment of each individual member country to determine how it will contribute. Each country will consult with the other members, bearing in mind that the ultimate aim is to “to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area”.

At the drafting of Article 5 in the late 1940s, there was consensus on the principle of mutual assistance, but fundamental disagreement on the modalities of implementing this commitment. The European participants wanted to ensure that the United States would automatically come to their assistance should one of the signatories come under attack; the United States did not want to make such a pledge and obtained that this be reflected in the wording of Article 5.
(emphasis mine)

Nobody is dragged into anything.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

KillHour posted:

How many times has it been pointed out that NATO members are free to go to war all they like and article 5 doesn't apply to that? It has to have been at least a dozen and I know you've seen it so I don't know why you keep saying this when you know it's not true.

But to add context, I will include this blurb from the NATO website:

(emphasis mine)

Nobody is dragged into anything.

That is the same person who posted that "Putin is doing anything he can to deescalate the situation" in regards to Putin's speech recognizing the people's republics (or a related clearly escalatory event) right before the war

Just the worst, wrongest takes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sir John Falstaff posted:

NATO states can take military action without NATO--the U.S. has done so a number of times, as have others.

Never against a nuclear power that may, in fact, utilize nuclear weapons in the event of another foreign power intervening.

KillHour posted:

I feel like you're not getting my point. Poland is free to go to war with Russia over Ukraine if it likes, but it will do so without the support of NATO, while putting itself at risk of a nuclear strike. So Poland's government will, in all likelihood, not choose to do so. They will hold the NATO line, because the potential costs to them in not doing so would be too great.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, this is my read on it also. Putin is allowed to get away with whatever he wants, because of Russia's nuclear arsenal, and everyone should just bend over backwards to accommodate him.

Because if it's one thing history has shown us, it's how great appeasement works out in the long-run...

Ok? What's your alternative? Nuclear exchange is a loving apocalypse.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Somaen posted:

That is the same person who posted that "Putin is doing anything he can to deescalate the situation" in regards to Putin's speech recognizing the people's republics (or a related clearly escalatory event) right before the war

Just the worst, wrongest takes

I don't think I ever said that at all.:confused:

e:

Grouchio posted:

So why seek a 'peacekeeping' mission in Ukraine? Shore up domestic support back home to sweep all the shady poo poo they've been doing under the rug? This is Kazcynski and Duda we're talking here.

I think there's plenty of domestic support for it in Poland, so the government has to make it look like they're trying. But the rest of NATO will say "no" to this.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 21, 2022

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

All you people desperate for doing some humane intervention. Jemen is being attacked by a non nuclear nation, and they are doing some hosed up war crimes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Majorian posted:

Never against a nuclear power that may, in fact, utilize nuclear weapons in the event of another foreign power intervening.

I feel like you're not getting my point. Poland is free to go to war with Russia over Ukraine if it likes, but it will do so without the support of NATO, while putting itself at risk of a nuclear strike. So Poland's government will, in all likelihood, not choose to do so. They will hold the NATO line, because the potential costs to them in not doing so would be too great.

They may not have gotten your point because you posted

Majorian posted:

If they get directly, boots-on-the-ground involved, that will be the end of NATO. [...]

which we all know is not true, so maybe don't post like that if you want other people to get your point?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Majorian posted:

You specifically said Poland would have to leave NATO and form their own defensive alliance. Presumably with blackjack.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Freudian slippers posted:

They may not have gotten your point because you posted

which we all know is not true, so maybe don't post like that if you want other people to get your point?

How is what I said there not true? If Poland gets directly involved, invokes Article V, and the rest of the alliance does not come to their aid in any meaningful way, that would probably be a pretty fatal blow to the cohesiveness of the alliance.

KillHour posted:

You specifically said Poland would have to leave NATO and form their own defensive alliance. Presumably with blackjack.

I floated that as one of the only possible scenarios in which they get directly, militarily involved in Ukraine. I don't think that's a likely scenario. I think by far the most likely scenario is they stay in NATO and do not get militarily involved, because the potential costs to them would be too high to go in without NATO's support.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 21, 2022

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Majorian posted:

I don't think I ever said that at all.:confused:

Oops correct, you just took credulously the words of a MFA that lied about every single thing they've said. Apparently everything coming out of US was escalatory lies by bloodthirsty neocons, but Russian ambassador is a messenger of peace, since he said so. Please keep making hundreds of posts with this good analysis, producing excellent predictions

edit:

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1495441342545149956

It's becoming increasingly clear, imo, that Russia does not want to intervene unless this goes down exactly like Georgia '08 did. That could easily happen, but hopefully Zelensky will continue to prove himself to be a cooler head than Saakashvili.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Somaen posted:

Oops correct, you just took credulously the words of a MFA that lied about every single thing they've said. Apparently everything coming out of US was escalatory lies by bloodthirsty neocons, but Russian ambassador is a messenger of peace, since he said so. Please keep making hundreds of posts with this good analysis, producing excellent predictions

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=521595030

By all accounts, Russia did expect things to go down as they did with Georgia in 2008. They were absolutely, incredibly wrong. As I've admitted more than once in this thread already, I was wrong in believing that they were smarter than this.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

susan b buffering posted:

At a certain point, this argument - which I think is only one that exists in rhetoric, not even Putin has actually seriously advanced it - is that since the cost of nuclear war is so unthinkably high, Putin can have anything he wants if he only threatens to destroy the world if he does not get it.

This strategy presents certain difficulties for values in human society other than 'obedience to Vladimir Putin.'

I think this theory is distinct from 'is it worth it to risk nuclear war to defend Ukraine?' Thankfully it seems that this question may be somewhat moot as Russia seems to be thrashing around. But the argument of, 'if nuclear war is threatened, it's not worth it - no matter what "it" is - just give in, instead of having nuclear war' heavily benefits the party threatening nuclear war.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Sandweed posted:

All you people desperate for doing some humane intervention. Jemen is being attacked by a non nuclear nation, and they are doing some hosed up war crimes.

This is the Ukraine thread.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Sandweed posted:

I think you open the wrong thread

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe stop apologizing for Putin and the overall Russian behavior, and tell them to stick those demands up their pipes? Russia does not own the only nukes on the planet and giving into their constantly larger demands just makes them demand bigger things. Appeasement does not work with an enemy whose entire thing is stealing everything they get away with.

Exactly the same reason why Russians do war crimes everywhere they go, to make their enemies lose an appetite for continuing the conflict, so that they can press their claims and start planning the next war, while West goes "we caved in and stopped our support to preserve the humanity" or something equally stupid. For example in this conflict, being outraged over the things that Ukrainians do to defend their homes and starting with the concern trolling opinions "I do not think that they are that much better than the Russians" is a mental out for the west, and it is winning this war for the Russians. There is an undercurrent of that here already and it pops up every now and then.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Did the Russian stock exchange open?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nessus posted:

At a certain point, this argument - which I think is only one that exists in rhetoric, not even Putin has actually seriously advanced it - is that since the cost of nuclear war is so unthinkably high, Putin can have anything he wants if he only threatens to destroy the world if he does not get it.

What can Putin take after this disaster of a war, though? He's not going to be able to annex Ukraine, he'd have probably even worse luck if he tried to take Moldova or Finland, and there's no real chance he'd try to invade a NATO state.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Majorian posted:

By all accounts, Russia did expect things to go down as they did with Georgia in 2008. They were absolutely, incredibly wrong. As I've admitted more than once in this thread already, I was wrong in believing that they were smarter than this.

Putin was signaling that he wants regime change, that Ukrainians do not exist and was preparing for an annexation as evidenced by the occupational forces that invaded together with the military, which is not similar at all to Georgia.

Not only were you dismissing all that, you were actively dismissing all the other stuff coming out of the US intelligence as warmongering by the United States. All your takes are poo poo.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Nessus posted:

This strategy presents certain difficulties for values in human society other than 'obedience to Vladimir Putin.'

I think this theory is distinct from 'is it worth it to risk nuclear war to defend Ukraine?' Thankfully it seems that this question may be somewhat moot as Russia seems to be thrashing around. But the argument of, 'if nuclear war is threatened, it's not worth it - no matter what "it" is - just give in, instead of having nuclear war' heavily benefits the party threatening nuclear war.

We are speaking about Ukraine though.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Majorian posted:

What can Putin take after this disaster of a war, though? He's not going to be able to annex Ukraine, the Russian army would absolutely up and desert if he went on to try to take Finland or Moldova, and there's no real chance he'd try to invade a NATO state.

There is Belarus, and several *stans in the inner Asia where he can just tighten his grip and erase the international border that isn't fooling anyone. And depending how much Germany wants to think that this didn't happen and go back to buying Russian gas and oil, there is no saying if the EU or Nato would do anything meaningful if Russia were to attack Finland in, lets say, 2038 when this conflict is already the one before the other preceding the previous.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Der Kyhe posted:

Maybe stop apologizing for Putin and the overall Russian behavior, and tell them to stick those demands up their pipes? Russia does not own the only nukes on the planet and giving into their constantly larger demands just makes them demand bigger things. Appeasement does not work with an enemy whose entire thing is stealing everything they get away with.

Find any post in this thread where I have apologized for Putin or Russia. I am against the invasion, full stop, and I support the sanctions the west has placed on Russia. Sorry that I don't 100% agree with your position, but that doesn't make me a supporter of the invasion.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Somaen posted:

Putin was signaling that he wants regime change, that Ukrainians do not exist and was preparing for an annexation as evidenced by the occupational forces that invaded together with the military, which is not similar at all to Georgia.

Not only were you dismissing all that, you were actively dismissing all the other stuff coming out of the US intelligence as warmongering by the United States. All your takes are poo poo.

Look, you're free to put me on ignore or report my posts or whatever. After the last twenty years of history, I won't apologize for doubting U.S. intelligence claims. If the CIA tells me the sky is blue, I'll have to look outside to check for myself.

Der Kyhe posted:

There is Belarus, and several *stans in the inner Asia where he can just tighten his grip and erase the international border that isn't fooling anyone. And depending how much Germany wants to think that this didn't happen and go back to buying Russian gas and oil, there is no saying if the EU or Nato would do anything meaningful if Russia were to attack Finland in, lets say, 2038 when this conflict is already the one before the other preceding the previous.

I'm sorry, what does "erase the international border that isn't fooling anyone" mean?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1505790386534555648

Super cool that the Russians are operationalizing stealing food instead of leaving it to isolated bands of special forces that got dumped behind enemy lines.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Majorian posted:

As I pointed out earlier, Russia's ability to wage war is going to be seriously blunted by this conflict and the resulting sanctions. It's not going to be able to invade anybody for quite a while - so "appeasement" really doesn't enter into the equation.
Is it though? Even though their efforts so far seem to have been incompetent, they're still swimming in tanks, aircraft, etc., and it seems like India and China have stepped up to bankroll them economically. Granted being beholden to China is not a great long-term strategy for Russia, but still, I'm not actually convinced that their ability to wage war has been all that impacted by this.

Seems more that their prestige has been hurt than anything else.

Majorian posted:

You appease an empire that can conquer more of the world by offering it a smaller piece and hoping it will be satisfied. Russia isn't Germany in the 1930s, and Europe isn't the Europe of the 30s either.
At the same time, if the UK, France, etc., had not been trying by any means possible to avoid war with Germany in the 1930s, and maybe had engaged in some proactive de-militarization activities earlier, then maybe things would have been different. Sounds a bit familiar in terms of trying to avoid conflict at all costs and ultimately seeing a greater conflict emerge?

Concerned Citizen posted:

We should keep to that line and strive to have a predictable foreign policy in regards to Russia, so they understand what will trigger a military response from us and what won't. What we don't want to do is create a Calvinball-like security environment, because that will backfire on us very quickly.

But again, going back to my original question, if you are willing to allow Ukrainians to die out of fear of greater escalation, than I don't think you can use the morality principle of avoiding escalation between two nuclear-armed countries. You can make it a logical judgement, but I don't think allowing innocent people to die because of an extremely unlikely result, is a "moral" decision.

Nuclear weapons have been treated as a defensive stratagem, so I'm not convinced that countering Russian aggression in a non-Russian country, would significantly escalate the chance of a nuclear exchange.

Like, I feel like I can turn the question back on those who want to intervene and ask if this is only about Russia or if we really think NATO should be engaged in endless wars against all the wrongdoers in the world.
Personally, I don't think NATO should be; I think this is something that the UN should be involved with, ideally, via UN Peacekeeping forces. Obviously in its current structure, the UN is incapable of actual doing this if one of the aggressors has significant influence on the decision maker and/or has nuclear weapons. But ideally, the UN would intercede in these circumstances.

I view this from a perspective though that empathy for human life should transcend geopolitical boundaries and that we should have a moral obligation to help protect other humans.

I think it's working and we shouldn't upset the apple cart because we feel like we aren't doing enough.
What's the basis for the view that it is working?

My personal alternative is that we should allow any country in Europe, within NATO or not, that wishes to engage Russia in defensive actions of Ukraine, to do so, but knowing that if they are a NATO country, they are effectively pre-empting themselves potentially from Article 5 protection.

I personally think that if Poland sent in troops and tanks to help defend Ukrainian citizens, for example, that it would not cause a nuclear exchange or a "loving apocalypse".

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Majorian posted:

How is what I said there not true? If Poland gets directly involved, invokes Article V, and the rest of the alliance does not come to their aid in any meaningful way, that would probably be a pretty fatal blow to the cohesiveness of the alliance.

I floated that as one of the only possible scenarios in which they get directly, militarily involved in Ukraine. I don't think that's a likely scenario. I think by far the most likely scenario is they stay in NATO and do not get militarily involved, because the potential costs to them would be too high to go in without NATO's support.

NATO is a defensive alliance. You don't get to initate agression towards another state (no matter how justified) and then invoke article 5. But you know this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Paladinus posted:

Elizarov is a known satirist. He knows exactly what he's doing, and that orcs are actually evil, but want to see themselves as the good guys. I've been listening to his Soviet Song a lot lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdSpZF36OHg

Not going to translate the entire thing, but it's a parody of Soviet war songs that evokes Western pop-culture mixed with ultra patriotic tropes and has these wonderful lyrics:

E: And yes, Elizarov is Ukrainian.

Assuming this is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, :laffo: at that academic.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Is it though? Even though their efforts so far seem to have been incompetent, they're still swimming in tanks, aircraft, etc., and it seems like India and China have stepped up to bankroll them economically. Granted being beholden to China is not a great long-term strategy for Russia, but still, I'm not actually convinced that their ability to wage war has been all that impacted by this.

Their economy is going to be sent back to the 90s from the sanctions they're enduring right now. Maybe some of those will lighten up towards the end of the year, but even then, it's still going to do lasting economic damage. You need a strong economy to be able to fund a war machine that can occupy a country as big as Ukraine long-term, and Russia will need to occupy Ukraine if it wants any of its objectives beyond Donbas and Lukhansk to be fulfilled.

quote:

At the same time, if the UK, France, etc., had not been trying by any means possible to avoid war with Germany in the 1930s, and maybe had engaged in some proactive de-militarization activities earlier, then maybe things would have been different. Sounds a bit familiar in terms of trying to avoid conflict at all costs and ultimately seeing a greater conflict emerge?

Germany had the largest economy in Europe in the 1930s, and an army that was in many ways state-of-the-art. Russia has neither of those things. What it has is a nuclear arsenal that can deter other countries from engaging with it militarily. But that only works one way. They can't say, "Hey, Kazakhstan - we're going to annex you, and if you complain, you'll get nuked," because then the jig is up. Nuclear deterrence is no longer a viable model if that happens. They risk other nuclear powers at the very least intervening conventionally.

Freudian slippers posted:

NATO is a defensive alliance. You don't get to initate agression towards another state (no matter how justified) and then invoke article 5. But you know this.

You're making my point for me: Poland will not intervene militarily in Ukraine without NATO's backing. Since it will not have NATO's backing, it will not intervene in Ukraine.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 21, 2022

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Majorian posted:

I'm sorry, what does "erase the international border that isn't fooling anyone" mean?

Lukashenka is already a Putin's hand puppet, and it is more than likely that if that guy falls, Russia does an intervention and Belarus is back being part of Russia. Kazakhstan would have also had a government change in this January if the Putin didn't intervene, so that place is also running only because Putin wanted it to keep going that way. Armenia and Azerbaijan are a conflict zone where Russia back the Armenia and Turkey the other; there is already Russian troops in the area as "peace keepers".

So that is already 4 places which are within one small act of consolidating power move away from being back as parts of USSR. Going into Commonwealth of Independent States, we also have also Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Turkemenistan, which all have minor to major economical dependencies on Russia, so they are also easy pray and all ex-Soviet states. And of course Moldova.

So two countries that are run by despots backed up by Putin, two others which already have Russian troops in them unwillingly and rest being economically tied to Putin's regime. So should Putin need to find something else to do than move the borders in the European side of the country, there are plenty of international borders to formally erase in the inner Asia.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Kraftwerk posted:

Why does Putin get to push the boundaries but the West can't.
How about we just issue Russia an ultimatium. They pull back to 2014 borders or else. And if they ignore it just loving destroy every Russian military asset in Ukraine and push them back by force. What are they going to do? Nuke us?

- statement from man nuked

Majorian posted:

Russia can barely invade and occupy part of Ukraine, and it's going to set their economy back to 90s levels of devastation; what makes you think they're going to invade anyone else anytime soon?

It's a corrupt moron dictatorship that recently threw all the masks off and fully embraced mandatory revanchist hypernationalist bullshit as the national tone, so basically full blown fascism

and also recently demonstrated that it has no necessary problem with invading despite a complete lack of capacity to do so

we are too fresh off of constant assurance that "they would never invade Ukraine, it just doesn't make sense" to start prognostication about how they definitely wouldn't start more poo poo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Majorian posted:

What can Putin take after this disaster of a war, though? He's not going to be able to annex Ukraine, he'd have probably even worse luck if he tried to take Moldova or Finland, and there's no real chance he'd try to invade a NATO state.
In the real world I agree with you completely, Putin will at this point be lucky if he gets the Donbass region to some extent, although of course he could have his fortunes improve. Hard to say with what, though; even using WMDs would probably not be a net gain.

In the theoretical argument, he could in principle skip the war and simply demand the territory and possibly pop off a tacnuke to show he means business. Then he would only need an occupation force, and I imagine the Russian military can, kind of, do that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Staluigi posted:

It's a corrupt moron dictatorship that recently threw all the masks off and fully embraced mandatory revanchist hypernationalist bullshit as the national tone, so basically full blown fascism

and also recently demonstrated that it has no necessary problem with invading despite a complete lack of capacity to do so

we are too fresh off of constant assurance that "they would never invade Ukraine, it just doesn't make sense" to start prognostication about how they definitely wouldn't start more poo poo

Putin clearly expected Ukraine to fold a lot more quickly, didn't think the West would level sanctions as heavy as they have, and was catastrophically wrong on both counts. That doesn't mean he's an irrational actor in all of this; it means he made a massive blunder. What army is he going to use to invade another neighboring country - the one that's currently getting ground down in Ukraine, and that's going to need decades to rebuild?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Majorian posted:

Their economy is going to be sent back to the 90s from the sanctions they're enduring right now.

What makes you think Putin gives a poo poo about this?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

The sink has been destroyed the washbasin is unharmed! Also... why is there a washbasin right next to the sink? :confused:

Edit: beaten

My grandparents' house had that, separate washbasin in the kitchen. And a separate one in every bedroom. Cleanliness was next to godliness as far as they were concerned.

(As far as the kitchen goes, I'm pretty sure the washbasin was installed long before they got a modern kitchen sink. Probably even before they got electricity in the house.)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What makes you think Putin gives a poo poo about this?

Again, you need a strong economy to fund a war machine big enough to invade, occupy, and/or annex fairly large countries like Ukraine. Russia did have a big economy going into this war; it's not going to have as big of one coming out of it. It won't be able to fund the scale of military operations that it has over the past couple decades. It's going to look a lot more like Russia in the 90s.

"The sinews of war are infinite money."

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Assuming this is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, :laffo: at that academic.

Elizarov is an extremely weird and talented dude and his fanbase is like 80% hipsters and 20% nazbol-leaning creeps with romantic view on Donbass separatists.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Majorian posted:

Their economy is going to be sent back to the 90s from the sanctions they're enduring right now.

I see this stated at times, but what's the basis for it? I don't think I've actually seen any literature indicating this level of impact. This is a genuine question, not trying to say it won't occur.

quote:

Germany had the largest economy in Europe in the 1930s, and an army that was in many ways state-of-the-art. Russia has neither of those things. What it has is a nuclear arsenal that can deter other countries from engaging with it militarily. But that only works one way. They can't say, "Hey, Kazakhstan - we're going to annex you, and if you complain, you'll get nuked," because then the jig is up. Nuclear deterrence is no longer a viable model if that happens. They risk other nuclear powers at the very least intervening conventionally.

Germany suffered just as much, if not more, as any other country though during the Great Depression (https://eprints.lse.ac.uk/64491/1/WP218.pdf). Internally they fared better in many ways due to the re-armament of the military, but I don't think there was anything economically restricting the military development in other European countries besides a desire to avoid any major engagement like WWI.

Regarding Russia, I guess I fully believe that its nuclear arsenal prevents other countries from engaging it in offensive military engagements against it, i.e. invasion, but I don't know that it should be treated as a casus beli if Russia is the aggressor and meets resistance.

I am sure quite a few South Koreans wish China had taken that stance in October 1950 with regard to the United States.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kraftwerk posted:

Why does Putin get to push the boundaries but the West can't.

it's not a credible threat coming from a western democracy, and bluffing is a terrible idea because it will get called and the call will weaken the credibility of american security guarantees for other countries--if we were willing to bluff about this, what else might be a bluff? is article 5 a bluff?

you might consider it "unfair" that putin has maneuvers available to him that the west doesn't, but that cuts both ways. an erratic authoritarian kleptocracy can't, say, rally world opinion and suplex an aggressor's economy into a smoking crater within weeks. all states are constrained in the actions they can take by their own internal structure, but i know which hand i'm betting on in this conflict.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

NomChompsky posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1505790386534555648

Super cool that the Russians are operationalizing stealing food instead of leaving it to isolated bands of special forces that got dumped behind enemy lines.

look, if the ukrainians are stealing russian tanks, it's only fair for russians to steal some vehicles too

tit for tat and a tooth for a tooth as they say

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SourKraut posted:

I see this stated at times, but what's the basis for it? I don't think I've actually seen any literature indicating this level of impact. This is a genuine question, not trying to say it won't occur.

Nah, it's a fair question - to me, it seems to be the consensus among economists looking at the issue. Russia's going to end up hurting badly from these sanctions, in all likelihood: (bear in mind, this article is from a week ago)

quote:

Already, the snowballing economic crisis in Russia threatens to wipe out decades of economic gains made by ordinary citizens.

In the past month, the ruble has lost 40% of its value against the dollar, rendering the currency effectively useless outside of Russia.

Desperate to maintain the ruble’s value inside the country, on March 8 the Kremlin issued a new order barring the exchange of rubles for hard currencies like the U.S. dollar or euro.

This effectively turned the ruble into play money, a currency that only has value in an essentially fictional economy inside Russia, where people aren’t allowed to buy the products to which they’ve become accustomed. Policies like these are erasing credibility built over decades of integrating the Russian economy into the rest of Europe.

quote:

Germany suffered just as much, if not more, as any other country though during the Great Depression (https://eprints.lse.ac.uk/64491/1/WP218.pdf). Internally they fared better in many ways due to the re-armament of the military, but I don't think there was anything economically restricting the military development in other European countries besides a desire to avoid any major engagement like WWI.

Yeah, but Germany had recovered dramatically by the time 1939 had rolled around. Russia was already having economic troubles for years before this war, thanks in part to COVID. And you can see with your own eyes, through this conflict in Ukraine, what kind of conventional army that tier of economy buys you. It's not going to get better for Russia anytime soon. They aren't going to get stronger because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

They can't say, "Hey, Kazakhstan - we're going to annex you, and if you complain, you'll get nuked," because then the jig is up. Nuclear deterrence is no longer a viable model if that happens. They risk other nuclear powers at the very least intervening conventionally.

this is correct, but also somewhat missing the point of nuclear deterrence. it's true that a nuclear arsenal can't help you prey on a non-nuclear neighbor directly, since kazakhstan has no reason to believe you'll actually go through with your insane threats. what a nuclear arsenal does do is improve the risk/reward assessment of a conventional invasion. having nukes means your military worst-case scenario (you lose and then they/their allies invade you) is no longer possible, because you can credibly threaten to use nuclear weapons in defense of your own sovereignty.