Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

So you need to cast like Barbara Crampton or Ming-Na Wen as the Emperor which would own.

Elvira, Mistress of the Universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Aces High posted:

I understand (or I hope) that that post is in jest but I just gotta say we don't need dreamy shots of Zendaya in part 2 because...Paul and Chani spend most of their time less than a foot apart. poo poo, she will get actual monologues to deliver and everything

True, but note that Paul is going to have even less control of his visions in part 2. Its only after he starts on the Fremen spice diet that he really starts having visions of Chani, to the point where he can't tell if he's seeing the future or experiencing the present.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The second half of the book is quite... Odd, narratively, it's basically Oh Paul is a religious leader now, oh! The emperor! Oh! He won, history will call us wives, the end.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Aces High posted:

If Robert Pattinson were cast as Feyd, they could have him sparkle in that scene and it would be totally appropriate

drat, could this be the most brilliant idea?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

drat, could this be the most brilliant idea?

Only if he has the same accent and 'tache as in The Lighthouse.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
You know they'll cast Harry styles as Feyd for the Sting/musician connection to the lynch version.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Didn't they already cast Feyd? It's the guy who played Tex in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

I was bummed because I had hoped the Barry Keoghan rumors were true, I love that little freak.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Yeah I don't know why it wasn't posted in this thread but Austin Butler is in as Feyd (he's also Elvis in the new Baz Luhrman movie if you want a musical connection). The only other major role to announce is the Emperor.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Cacator posted:

Yeah I don't know why it wasn't posted in this thread but Austin Butler is in as Feyd (he's also Elvis in the new Baz Luhrman movie if you want a musical connection). The only other major role to announce is the Emperor.

Yeah, only big name left would be Fenrig. Although I wonder if Harah will be in this.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like they have plenty of time to include all the non fenring characters, part 1 adapted like two thirds of the page count. Galaxy brain: bring in some failson lore to round it out

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cacator posted:

You mean the one article from deadline.com where a single source, who could be Austin Butlers agent, is saying that Austin Butlers agent is in negotiations for him to play Feyd?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I mean sure, by all means, let's introduce a largely irrelevant character in the second movie that the story doesn't need, and only seems to be in the book for Frank Herbert to be sex weird about, and then kill him off in the second movie - all this instead of building on an existing character in the book that's already set up as someone who the audience will cheer for when he dies.

You think I'm kidding? Name me one thing Feyd does that's not 1) Have sex with people his uncle has enslaved, 2) Have sex with Margot Fenring so that she can pussy-magic him into submission because we're told that he's dangerous, 3) Be incredibly horny after pulling off the most lame of plans that's not even within another plan, which almost gets him killed.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

You mean the one article from deadline.com where a single source, who could be Austin Butlers agent, is saying that Austin Butlers agent is in negotiations for him to play Feyd?

It's the same level of confirmation that Florence Pugh has for Irulan, and both have multiple industry publications reporting on it. Look, we're all just thirsty for casting news, ok?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

It would have been terrible but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmRHy3cu31M

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Name me one thing Feyd does that's not 1) Have sex with people his uncle has enslaved, 2) Have sex with Margot Fenring so that she can pussy-magic him into submission because we're told that he's dangerous, 3) Be incredibly horny after pulling off the most lame of plans that's not even within another plan, which almost gets him killed.

All these things rule and provide at least as much character building as most movie villains get in your average blockbuster. You made a pretty good case for Feyd, actually

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

You think I'm kidding? Name me one thing Feyd does that's not 1) Have sex with people his uncle has enslaved, 2) Have sex with Margot Fenring so that she can pussy-magic him into submission because we're told that he's dangerous, 3) Be incredibly horny after pulling off the most lame of plans that's not even within another plan, which almost gets him killed.
4) kicks rear end at gladiator fights

Oh I forgot he cheated, but hey that's even better character-building

Martman fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 18, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The Battle of the Twinks is going to own so thoroughly that John Williams will volunteer to score it for free, I'm happy to report

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There is no narrative economy reason feyd and rabban need to be two characters, but it helps with that "passes medium scrutiny" thing dune has. It's a big universe, the harkonnens have more than one thing going on

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I think it's good to have both characters. Rabban has all of the Baron's brutal sadism but none of his cunning. Feyd is important for showing that the Harkonnens aren't all bloodthirsty morons, and can't just be outschemed by anybody with half a brain like a lot of schlocky movie villains

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Feyd is the fulfillment of the Reverend Mother's "There are other candidates" line. Paul has to defeat his evil mirror, which Rabban really isn't.

Also Bautista is like twice the age of Chalamet

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 18, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Speleothing posted:

Feyd is the fulfillment of the Reverend Mother's "There are other candidates" line. Paul has to defeat his evil mirror, which Rabban really isn't.

That's how I always felt about it, like Feyd's not the ultimate boss because he's the biggest or meanest, or even really the most dangerous but he is the other side of the coin from Paul. To fulfill his destiny Paul must kill himself. It's like how at the end of Doom2 you have to defeat John Romero, the ultimate Guy Who Is Way Too Into Doom.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, I definitely feel like they're going to play up the "He could have been what Paul is" angle especially with the way they handled Jamis in the first one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I mean sure, by all means, let's introduce a largely irrelevant character in the second movie that the story doesn't need, and only seems to be in the book for Frank Herbert to be sex weird about, and then kill him off in the second movie - all this instead of building on an existing character in the book that's already set up as someone who the audience will cheer for when he dies.

5) Murder an entire harem of unarmed women

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

david_a posted:

Elvira, Mistress of the Universe

Bruce Springsteen, Boss of the Imperium

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The thing about Feyd is he's key to the Baron's plans in a way the movie hasn't really bothered to explain to the audience. Rabban (who only gets a single scene in the book, followed by an off-hand mention of his demise much later) is being used to draw the Fremen's ire towards himself, so that when Feyd takes over he's seen as a salvific figure, a welcome change; thus the Harkonnen's tighten their grip. It's a move that both cements the Baron's cunning (and his belief in the importance of the House itself over any and all constituent parts) and underlines how poorly he understands and underestimates the Fremen (as if their people would actually fall for this trick, after all the suffering they've endured at the hands of his predecessors). Remove Feyd from the equation and House Harkonnen gets reduced from a bunch of political operators to a band of occasionally sneaky thugs, which is honestly (disappointingly) how they come across in the film.

Feyd himself mostly exists in reference to other characters - the Baron's plans, a mirror to Paul (which has already been covered so I won't belabor the point) - which is why he might seem a bit shallow on his own, but he's still an important piece of the puzzle. I actually consider his absence from the first film a bit of a misstep, but then it wouldn't be the only one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If you're gonna do a two-parter I feel it makes sense to introduce Feyd in the second, as an explicit contrast to everything built up about the Harkonnens thus far- being presented to the audience in the same way he's meant to be presented to the people of Arrakis. I bet his intro scene will be set up to make it hard to believe he's really a Harkonnen.

Also given the storytelling approach of the movies- which thus far seems to have been quite the success in getting people interested and understanding the story even if they're not at all familiar with the books- it makes sense to do the setup for the broad strokes of the characters before you start getting into the implications. Part 2 strikes me as likely to start taking apart and knocking down the thematic dominoes that Part One set up.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

personally I just want to see barry keoghan gently caress timothy chalamet

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

The thing about Feyd is he's key to the Baron's plans in a way the movie hasn't really bothered to explain to the audience. Rabban (who only gets a single scene in the book, followed by an off-hand mention of his demise much later) is being used to draw the Fremen's ire towards himself, so that when Feyd takes over he's seen as a salvific figure, a welcome change; thus the Harkonnen's tighten their grip. It's a move that both cements the Baron's cunning (and his belief in the importance of the House itself over any and all constituent parts) and underlines how poorly he understands and underestimates the Fremen (as if their people would actually fall for this trick, after all the suffering they've endured at the hands of his predecessors). Remove Feyd from the equation and House Harkonnen gets reduced from a bunch of political operators to a band of occasionally sneaky thugs, which is honestly (disappointingly) how they come across in the film.

Feyd himself mostly exists in reference to other characters - the Baron's plans, a mirror to Paul (which has already been covered so I won't belabor the point) - which is why he might seem a bit shallow on his own, but he's still an important piece of the puzzle. I actually consider his absence from the first film a bit of a misstep, but then it wouldn't be the only one.
I don't think any of us question this, as it's so obvious it almost goes from subtext to text - but that just makes me question the reasons for putting Feyd in the movies all the more.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If you're gonna do a two-parter I feel it makes sense to introduce Feyd in the second, as an explicit contrast to everything built up about the Harkonnens thus far- being presented to the audience in the same way he's meant to be presented to the people of Arrakis. I bet his intro scene will be set up to make it hard to believe he's really a Harkonnen.

Also given the storytelling approach of the movies- which thus far seems to have been quite the success in getting people interested and understanding the story even if they're not at all familiar with the books- it makes sense to do the setup for the broad strokes of the characters before you start getting into the implications. Part 2 strikes me as likely to start taking apart and knocking down the thematic dominoes that Part One set up.
Well, that'd be an interesting approach - but it'll also be a pretty big departure from the books, whereas at least the first part was very faithful to the books, only cutting some parts but not really changing anything.

kalel posted:

personally I just want to see barry keoghan gently caress timothy chalamet
I'm not gonna say no to that either.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is about DUNC is that I think it understands that a lot of the book's content and style doesn't really work for movies, so they instead use content and style that does work for movies- hence all the visual language, establishing shots, and the things added, changed and invented for the film are all contributing to establishing the nature of the story, the setting and the characters.

Basically, I think you can give them a little credit in finding a way to incorporate stuff we haven't seen yet in a way that works. Probably.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I really liked the scenes between the Baron and Feyd in the book, where the Baron is basically teaching Feyd about cunning and plans within plans and how to be ruthless and cruel in just the right way. It's obvious that Feyd knows he's hot poo poo and much smarter and better educated (and physically fitter) than pretty much anyone on Geidi Prime, but the Baron keeps teaching him that a) Feyd is like that because of the Baron's will and b) except for the physical part, the Baron is still much Feyd's superior.

And still, in a latter scene, Feyd almost manages to get the Baron killed, showing that he's learning. It backfires because he doesn't succeed and the Baron uses it to teach another very painful lesson, but it goes a long way to establish Feyd beyond "pampered failson". He starts out as physically strong and willing to fight incredibly dirty, and he becomes smarter and sneakier as the book goes on, it's a great way to establish him as a very real danger to Paul. Paul's progress is actually very similar: he already knows how to fight when the book starts, but he has to learn a lot of painful lessons about political intrigue and scheming as the events unfold.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

I don't think any of us question this, as it's so obvious it almost goes from subtext to text - but that just makes me question the reasons for putting Feyd in the movies all the more.
If you're saying there's a better way he could be incorporated/translated from book-to-screen, sure, that's a conversation to have; I was simply responding to the idea that he was "Largely irrelevant," which I disagree with.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given the whole brutalist Cenobite freak approach with the Harkonnens, I really wanna see what they do visually with Feyd.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Speleothing posted:

Speaking of that casting, reading the books I always pictured Gurney as looking way more like Bautista than Josh Brolin and I think would have been great casting for that character. I was hopeful when it was announced he was going to be in it but it doesn't surprise me much that they made him Rabban. But as much as I loved this movie it's yet another adaptation where unlike the book I don't really understand why Gurney and Duncan are separate characters.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gonna be lol if 2une ends up a Return of the King style sweep.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given the whole brutalist Cenobite freak approach with the Harkonnens, I really wanna see what they do visually with Feyd.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It'll probably be Tex Elvis but shaved, maybe his eyebrows shaved too, and like oddly water-repellant. Handsome but unsettling.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I never noticed it but with the CC on you can hear the radio voice on the Atreides harvester calling out a sunrise warning. Saying it's 90 degrees at dawn and will reach 120 degrees in 10 minutes. 140 degrees projected at noon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-45G_k3rZqQ

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I love most of the look of the film but those carryall balloons always look too... early CGI? Or something? They look 90s VFX as gently caress.

I think it is like the texture or the extremely unnatural (on purpose) deployment animation they picked for it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I just love the whole design and look of the spice harvesters, they have that satisfying style of heavy machinery that sees lots of use with lots of ridiculous and probably unnecessary cool bits like treads and the balloon attachment. (Comes to mind, of course that's the point of failure during the harvester sequence given how unnecessarily complex and precise it is)

I suppose it comes off as quite a contrast to the style of the other technology; the dragonfly-like Ornithopters being all smooth and sleek, and the 2001 Monolith style Atreides ships.