Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

My fiancée recently got me a $400 giftcard to “Knife”, a high end Japanese knife store in Toronto, and I’m trying to decide on the best way to spend it.

https://knifetoronto.com/collections/knives?view=all

I am not a Professional cook or chef, so this would be entirely for home cooking. There’s a few in the general price range of $400 I’m interested in, but I am willing to consider getting 2 more modestly priced knives if people think it will be the better value for me.

My current collection is largely on the lowish end. Consisting of:

1. Kiwi Nakiri
2. Kiwi Bunka
3. Victorinox fibrox 8” chef’s knife
4. Victorinox fibrox santoku
5. Mercer offset serrated Bread knife
6. Shun Classic Western Chef’s Knife

If this is going to be my one high end knife, it probably makes more sense to go with a gyuto, but I have recently been using a Kiwi Nakiri as a cheap way to try out that form factor and have really enjoyed it. I would prefer something double bevel and I’m open on handle shape.

The knives that caught my eye right now are these:

https://knifetoronto.com/products/nigara-kurouchi-tsuchime-gyuto-210mm

https://knifetoronto.com/products/nigara-kurouchi-tsuchime-kiritsuke-210mm

What are peoples’s thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I would guess that the people at that store would be happy to have you browse and give you advice on knives.

You’d be able to hold them. I doubt any of them are garbage that should be avoided, what you like and what feels good to you is way more important than what steel it’s made of.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

16 of these lmao

But as an actual answer, what Chemmy said.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Get a stone too. Practice on your current so you can keep your upcoming nice one nice.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My fanciest chefs knife is a Nigara 210 mm Gyuto and it’s an excellent knife. Different line and steel though than what you’re looking at. Food release is decent. Holds an edge great though it takes a while to get it razor sharp but that’s what happens with real hard steel.

I don’t know exactly what gives knives these properties (edge grind and blade thickness maybe?) but some knives I have feel delicate like when you make contact with the cutting board it feels and sounds kind of brittle. My Yoshikane Gyuto and Kohetsu Nakiri are both like that. My Nigara is not like that, it feels sturdier and more likely to tolerate some abuse, at the expense of some sharpness maybe.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

My fanciest chefs knife is a Nigara 210 mm Gyuto and it’s an excellent knife. Different line and steel though than what you’re looking at. Food release is decent. Holds an edge great though it takes a while to get it razor sharp but that’s what happens with real hard steel.

I don’t know exactly what gives knives these properties (edge grind and blade thickness maybe?) but some knives I have feel delicate like when you make contact with the cutting board it feels and sounds kind of brittle. My Yoshikane Gyuto and Kohetsu Nakiri are both like that. My Nigara is not like that, it feels sturdier and more likely to tolerate some abuse, at the expense of some sharpness maybe.

Harder steels can get a much sharper edge but can also chip easier on hard foods/small bones (I bought my dad and I a pair of matching Moritaka Hamano knives and he chipped his rather badly cutting raw pumpkin). The Nigara you have will likely be a lower percentage of carbon steel would be my guess, thus 'softer' steel. Easier to sharpen and less likely to chip.. but will need more regular touch ups and won't hold as well a super sharp edge for very long. I tend to try sharpen my work high carbons every 2 days on a stone but my workhorse knives I do maybe every 2nd week and just hone them some on a steel personally.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sir Spaniard posted:

Harder steels can get a much sharper edge but can also chip easier on hard foods/small bones (I bought my dad and I a pair of matching Moritaka Hamano knives and he chipped his rather badly cutting raw pumpkin). The Nigara you have will likely be a lower percentage of carbon steel would be my guess, thus 'softer' steel. Easier to sharpen and less likely to chip.. but will need more regular touch ups and won't hold as well a super sharp edge for very long. I tend to try sharpen my work high carbons every 2 days on a stone but my workhorse knives I do maybe every 2nd week and just hone them some on a steel personally.

It's SRS-13, it's pretty hard.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Maybe just talking out of my rear end here, but the perception of delicacy is almost certainly based on the spine:edge ratio. It directly relates to the mass of the blade which directly relates to how fragile the blade feels.

This would be almost entirely independent of whatever metal the knife is made of, if it's thin as hell it's going to feel more delicate and if it's thick it's going to feel less delicate.

stringless fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 24, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's SRS-13, it's pretty hard.
Hardness and toughness are more or less direct tradeoffs*, so being "pretty hard" means that it will also be more prone to chipping (with a given shape/bevel angle)

*: In general, although between different steels, in reality some really lovely steels are just bad at both and some ridiculously expensive "supersteels" are better at both.

Sir Spaniard posted:

I tend to try sharpen my work high carbons every 2 days on a stone but my workhorse knives I do maybe every 2nd week and just hone them some on a steel personally.
I can't imagine wanting to sharpen a knife every 2 days but I guess if you're using them all day or something it might be different.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 24, 2022

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,
Probably a stupid question that I couldn't see in the OP: my gf and I have a Global chef's knife that she's had for like 3 years. Last time we took it to get it sharpened, it really didn't improve things, but I don't know what method the place we took it to uses, just a kitchen store in town. Is there a point where a knife is "too far gone" to have sharpened or am I just not looking in the right places for people who sharpen them? It's pathetically dull at this point, but I'm not super keen to replace it because otherwise it's a pretty great knife - and most importantly what we're comfortable with. To make a comparison to the sharpness, when she first got it she injured herself in a "needs stitches" way quite easily, whereas now, it slipped off onto my finger trying to slice a cherry tomato this week.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
It is possible for a knife to be "too far gone" but you're definitely not running into that problem with a knife you've used at home for only 3 years and have only sharpened 1-2 times. (Sharpening a knife removes some of its metal, so eventually you run out of knife and end up with something like this. I'm sure you're not there, this only happens to multi-generation hand-me-down or professionally-used knives.)

The unfortunate fact is... most places/people are terrible at sharpening knives, and most people just use dull knives or re-buy knives way more often than they actually need to. Your Global could be as sharp or sharper than it was out of the box, and if it's not that sharp immediately after sharpening, the sharpener did a bad job. (They also did a bad job if it dulls super quickly after that, but that's a different issue.)

I'd look for higher-end knife or kitchen stores, or if you've got a guy in a truck that makes the rounds in your neighborhood, they're often good... or do what I did and buy some waterstones and learn how to sharpen knives (it's a pretty cool and useful skill).

mystes
May 31, 2006

aol keyword party posted:

Probably a stupid question that I couldn't see in the OP: my gf and I have a Global chef's knife that she's had for like 3 years. Last time we took it to get it sharpened, it really didn't improve things, but I don't know what method the place we took it to uses, just a kitchen store in town. Is there a point where a knife is "too far gone" to have sharpened or am I just not looking in the right places for people who sharpen them? It's pathetically dull at this point, but I'm not super keen to replace it because otherwise it's a pretty great knife - and most importantly what we're comfortable with. To make a comparison to the sharpness, when she first got it she injured herself in a "needs stitches" way quite easily, whereas now, it slipped off onto my finger trying to slice a cherry tomato this week.
Consider that a brand new knife is completely dull when it made before it is sharpened for the first time.

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,

mystes posted:

Consider that a brand new knife is completely dull when it made before it is sharpened for the first time.

That's what I keep thinking. I'm like, it's just steel...

Scythe posted:

It is possible for a knife to be "too far gone" but you're definitely not running into that problem with a knife you've used at home for only 3 years and have only sharpened 1-2 times. (Sharpening a knife removes some of its metal, so eventually you run out of knife and end up with something like this. I'm sure you're not there, this only happens to multi-generation hand-me-down or professionally-used knives.)

The unfortunate fact is... most places/people are terrible at sharpening knives, and most people just use dull knives or re-buy knives way more often than they actually need to. Your Global could be as sharp or sharper than it was out of the box, and if it's not that sharp immediately after sharpening, the sharpener did a bad job. (They also did a bad job if it dulls super quickly after that, but that's a different issue.)

I'd look for higher-end knife or kitchen stores, or if you've got a guy in a truck that makes the rounds in your neighborhood, they're often good... or do what I did and buy some waterstones and learn how to sharpen knives (it's a pretty cool and useful skill).

Thanks for this. The truck thing has always been suggested to me by people who are in the know.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

mystes posted:

I mean, the stereotypical professional-but-incompetent sharpening job done with a grinder and a heavy hand will absolutely mess up the heat treatment of a knife in ways that aren't immediately visible. That can be fixed too, but probably not with equipment that most people have at home.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/04/08/does-sharpening-with-a-grinder-ruin-your-edge/

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I once asked at a Sur La Table and confirmed that they do, in fact, just use a pull-through sharpener. I strongly recommend not going to a kitchen store. I do my cheaper knives myself and take my fancy knives to a guy in a truck who makes the rounds at the local farmers' markets. There's also some guy who distributes ads for his sharpening service at places like Jo-Ann Fabrics. The specifics are unfortunately going to vary by your location.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ooo that is good info on the joann and such. I did not realize they've branched as far as they have.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I think Guppy just means that's where the guy hands out his fliers.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, the store doesn't do it, it's literally some guy the store agreed to let leave his little leaflets out. I'm not saying your Jo-Ann Fabrics will have that, but people who frequent stores like that often need things sharpened and you might be able to ask around.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The local guy I found on google used a work sharp. He didn’t take off much metal and the knives were sharp, but the guide system left cosmetic scratches down the middle of each knife. It’s not a huge deal on the knives I had sharpened, but it’s something I’d be aware of if you have an expensive knife that lives on the counter because it looks pretty.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My kitchen scissors are falling apart, one handle is slipping off and won't stay on. What's a good entry level to midrange replacement?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My kitchen scissors are falling apart, one handle is slipping off and won't stay on. What's a good entry level to midrange replacement?

I have a few oxo pairs that are somewhere between 5 and 10 years old that have functioned fine. About the only time I ever get frustrated with them is spatchcocking a turkey that isn't fully defrosted, and that isn't their fault.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

i really like the feel of this pair i got to replace my last cheapo set of shears

here

i still have some heavy duty ones that are just for chicken/turkey bones but these are great for normal kitchen duties

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nephzinho posted:

I have a few oxo pairs that are somewhere between 5 and 10 years old that have functioned fine. About the only time I ever get frustrated with them is spatchcocking a turkey that isn't fully defrosted, and that isn't their fault.

I'm using an Oxo pair as well. My last Oxos died after about 8? years, but for < :20bux: I can't complain.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Kyocera knife owners, have you ever sent back a knife for sharpening? I've got a Kyocera 6" chef's knife I've had since 2016, and after failing to cleanly cut a tomato, I decided it's time and I'm going to send it in. How long should I expect to wait for it to come back?

Also, are their sharpening & honing gadgets worthwhile? I'm reluctant to try to sharpen my ceramic knives myself, I have little experience with sharpening and it sounds like a great way to chip the blade.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The issue with ceramics is their hardness vs most stones. Chipping won't really be a concern, but without like a diamond plate you will probably not get good results in any reasonable time.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What's a good Chinese cleaver to get in the UK? I did see the CCK small cleaver mentioned in the OP but it's £80 now and that matches the comment that they've doubled in price. Is there any reason not to get a carbon steel one? I'm already hand washing and drying as soon as I'm done using it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What's a good Chinese cleaver to get in the UK? I did see the CCK small cleaver mentioned in the OP but it's £80 now and that matches the comment that they've doubled in price. Is there any reason not to get a carbon steel one? I'm already hand washing and drying as soon as I'm done using it.

There's no reason not to get a carbon steel knife provided you're aware of it's behavior.

- Always wash/dry immediately after use. (already covered)
- Regular use will cause carbon steel to develop a patina. This can be removed with vinegar, metal polish, etc., but it's something you'll probably either enjoy (it doesn't affect performance!) or learn to live with. More info here.
- One downside of having "carbon steel" vs. a known alloy means that you won't know the actual hardness of the blade and how good the edge retention is until you've used it for awhile - so pay attention. Make sure you're honing it every time you use it, and keep a rough idea of when you first have to sharpen it (assuming it comes razor sharp out of the box).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My primary chef’s knife is carbon steel. I forced a patina on it and now it’s easy to maintain. Not as carefree as a stainless knife, but not something I have to fuss over.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My primary chef’s knife is carbon steel. I forced a patina on it and now it’s easy to maintain. Not as carefree as a stainless knife, but not something I have to fuss over.

What did you use to force the patina? And how long did it take?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
You can force a patina with a few rounds of splattered mustard over the course of an hour or so. The white vinegar in the mustard is the primary agent.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sir Spaniard posted:

What did you use to force the patina? And how long did it take?

Smeared it with yellow mustard and gave it I think 20 minutes then wiped it off. Ended up doing it with a paper towel that had an embossed pattern on it pressed into the mustard. Which gave an uneven patina that I really like. Haven’t seen a bit of rust since I did it.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I have to touch up my yanagi weekly/biweekly and always use hot sauce to force a patina. I was going through mustard way too fast.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Why not just use vinegar, possibly diluted with water?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I went and ordered a carbon steel CCK KF1301 No. 1 small slicer, having thought about it for a few days I didn't really care the price had increased - it'll be pretty much the only knife I use, as is currently the case for my Shi Ba Zi stainless chopper.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Knife in Toronto has a 25% off sale so I made use of the gift card my fiancée got me

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beauty. Can't go wrong with Nigara imo.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Beauty. Can't go wrong with Nigara imo.

It's my first real high end knife and I'm amazed at how effortlessly it cuts. Most of my others are Victorinox and my previous best knife was a Shun Classic western chef's knife.

Need a better cutting board now, been considering a rubber one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That is one pretty knife.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Great knife. Maybe I gotta get a bunka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don't think that's a bunka I think it's a double bevel kiritsuke.