Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is there a good primer on attrition anywhere? Cause I can't figure it out. My armies are 80/100 on supply, at 1425/2610 of the supply limit and I still take 100 casualties for ever step I take in England in April.

That's for moving past a fort's zone of control, if you siege the borders down that'll stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah so supply based attrition is just a percentage every month, and you only start losing guys once your army is below 15 supply or something.

Hostile county attrition kicks in every time you cross between two hostile counties, unless you are crossing into one that is adjacent to a navigable body of water (including rivers, even if you lack the tech to sail in them). If you're raiding the Reaver trait cuts this substantially.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Blorange posted:

That's for moving past a fort's zone of control, if you siege the borders down that'll stop.

hmm, so if you cut through cities/bishophorics instead of baronies, it wont happen?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's about crossing the county boundary. Whether or not you move through a castle barony has no effect. You can cross back and forth between two empty baronies in two hostile counties, and you'll take attrition each time.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah if you see the skull icon on the map when you're telling a unit to move it means you're moving outside of your zone of control (provinces you own or occupy) and that's why you take the attrition hit just for moving in. Siege down provinces in a path to your target to avoid this, or take a different route. The AI sometimes takes wildly un-optimal paths to places.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
For anyone who has done a playthrough as either a Muslim, Central Asian Horselord, or Byzantium, do any of these 3 'factions' offer much unique in playstyle? I am basically done my Norse raiding and conquest run, and I am in the middle of finishing my Alfred the Great Anglo Saxon takeover of the Holyland and the Silk road and am starting to think of what might be next? I know they still have a flavor pack coming so if there isn't anything really mechanically different or unique to these 3, I am probably going to set it aside again until the next content pack drops. Thumbs up on Royal Court DLC overall though, I sank a ridiculous amount of time in it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

MikeC posted:

For anyone who has done a playthrough as either a Muslim, Central Asian Horselord, or Byzantium, do any of these 3 'factions' offer much unique in playstyle? I am basically done my Norse raiding and conquest run, and I am in the middle of finishing my Alfred the Great Anglo Saxon takeover of the Holyland and the Silk road and am starting to think of what might be next? I know they still have a flavor pack coming so if there isn't anything really mechanically different or unique to these 3, I am probably going to set it aside again until the next content pack drops. Thumbs up on Royal Court DLC overall though, I sank a ridiculous amount of time in it.

im slowly playing a central asian muslim not-horselord as proto-Uzbekistan. im not sure there's anything remotely unique to them other than getting a weird emperor crown by default. Islam means you can do the Hajj and... that seems about it tbh

why does this Smelly Court event proc so goddamn much

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.

MikeC posted:

Of these, Muslims probably offer the most in unique gameplay. You get Clan government, where instead of a feudal contract, the levies and taxes you get are based on the vassal's opinion. Polygamy means lots of alliances are possible. Jihads usually get unlocked pretty quickly. If you specific religion has Jizya, you may not even want to convert everyone. There are lots of good cultures with good features and MaA in predominantly Muslim areas.

Royal Court added some unique features to Greek and other Byzantine cultures, and cataphracts are good, but it still feels like western feudal kingdoms rather than a proper Imperial government. Doesn't live up to where CK2 had them by the end.

Steppe tribes play like any other tribals right now, except with Horse Archers which are OP for the first ~3/4s or so of the game , and usually bonuses toward culture hybridization like Norse.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Note with clan government you basically have to marry your vassal's kids as you get some annoying penalties if you don't have an alliance with your vassal.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That actually sounds rad as hell, I need to give Clans a proper go. Wasn't there also some sort of degeneracy mechanic, or is that ck2?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That's CK2.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What's a good proto-Russian start?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

PittTheElder posted:

It's about crossing the county boundary. Whether or not you move through a castle barony has no effect. You can cross back and forth between two empty baronies in two hostile counties, and you'll take attrition each time.

That's good to know. I guess I have been loosing a ton of people beeling for capitals or chasing around enemy armies.

Or that time I lost 2k special event troops because my viking raiders ran out of supply in Italy.

My 105 year old heisteinn who was an infirm lunatic, finally got the 1 year death timer. So when I got a court event for a duel I had to take it. Old man died as he lived. Now his grandson has to clean up the poo poo show that is Scotland.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 22, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What's a good proto-Russian start?

Rurik or Dyre the Stranger. The rulers of Novgorod and Kyiv, respectively.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

MikeC posted:

I found trying to play as a steppe pagan very dull, that area badly needs a DLC.

Byzantium can be lots of fun esp if you start as a count. I particularly recommend starting as the count on the far end of the empire of a different faith than the emperor.

Playing as a Muslim clan government you should definitely do at least once. It has some elements that are more fun than the fuedal stuff.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Finished my Matilda to Roman Empire run - I decided to take it to 1453 and see how much I could conquer.

I got through most of the historic empire (really everything but Portugal) and quite a bit extra. My current diplo-focussed emperor vassalized everything from Poland east here, and I'd had a courtier with a claim on Scotland who also owned most of Scandinavia, so this is much more so than I'd had 20 years prior.

This particular run got me most of the achievements for the DLC, including True Tolerance - my hybrid Graecoroman culture had Xenophilic as one of its traditions so that helped, along with constantly using the steward's cultural rapprochement skill.

Incidentally, if you're going for the 'dismantle Greek Pretenders' decision you apparently lock yourself out of it if you make a culture that's part Greek... presumably because you're also Greek now. I wish I'd known that because based on how easy 'dismantle German Pretenders' made gobbling up the HRE it could've saved me quite a bit of time.

Also about 50 years before the end I realized I could probably cheese the Frankokratia achievement. You have to own all of Thessaloniki being culturally French, and without being Rome or Byzantium. I moved my capital to Tours which I'd conquered as part of a 'restore imperial province' war, changed cultures, claimed the Empire of Francia, made it my primary title, destroyed the Roman Empire title and hey presto there's the achievement. You can restore the Roman Empire title immediately afterwards, too, since at this point all it'll cost you is some of your unlimited gold and prestige.

Map of court languages - I have no idea how to get the Lingua Franca achievement without doing a complete world conquest. Hell, I can't even keep my own vassal kings speaking Italian. I ran out of time for a WC but since this was a 1066 start it'll probably be easier starting in 867.

I may go with the Ghurid Empire achievement, because once that's done there's a whole lot of developed counties in northern India at your disposal. Any general tips on a world conquest?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Albino Squirrel posted:

I may go with the Ghurid Empire achievement, because once that's done there's a whole lot of developed counties in northern India at your disposal. Any general tips on a world conquest?

Diplo-vassalization via the diplo court is very strong and good this patch-- if you stack -religious conversion character modifiers like apostate you can easily reach 250 piety per conversion (even for unreformed faiths!) for mass vassalization of the smaller states. You can even diplo-vassalize kings with enough modifiers.

The best kingdom cb is inviting claimants via fabricated hook then pushing their claim, alternatives are By the Sword holy wars and Mongol Invasion via Greatest of the Khans.

Empire cbs (as an empire) are rare and difficult-- subjugation, intriguing a dynasty member onto the throne then dynasty claiming, or a strong hook on the (landed) head of faith are the main ways I know of. You may just want to use inheritance shenanigans instead.

scaterry fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 22, 2022

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is By the Sword one of the best traditions? I always end up going for it.

That and Forebearing are on my must have list

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
A mini bugfix patch just dropped and it notes that they fixed the Marshal's train knights ability. Hooray!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

OK, what the hell is this. I look at the king of Aquitaine and it says he has 1k troops. So I go a raiding and. Now I have a 3.5k army coming right at my raiders.

It doesn't look like he hired mercenaries, so where did 2.5k troops magically come from?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

OK, what the hell is this. I look at the king of Aquitaine and it says he has 1k troops. So I go a raiding and. Now I have a 3.5k army coming right at my raiders.

It doesn't look like he hired mercenaries, so where did 2.5k troops magically come from?

Local rulers can also raise armies to fight off raiders. Because of AI incompetence the king often has the smallest army in a given realm. Check the local duke/count too.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm doing a Mother of Us All playthrough and recently hybridized my Hausa culture with Sorko culture, and got the West African Canoes tech which lets me do raids over the ocean. Not being in a war at the moment, I decided it would be fun to create a raiding army down in Igbo and send them up to the coast of France for some raiding and kidnapping. The raiders took some heavy supply penalties on the way up (not being able to sail around the far West coast of Africa sucks!) but made it to Europe, and I discovered that Paris, capitol of West Francia, was sitting there ripe for the taking. Obviously I sacked Paris, and filled my pockets with as much gold as possible, and headed home with maybe 25% of my raiding army remaining. Fun fact: the amount of gold your raiders are capable of carrying goes down as your forces attrit, but if you'd already picked up say 300 gold and attrit to only being able to carry 100 you still get to keep all the gold you already stole.

My raiders finally make it back to my Empire and I take a look at my prisoners to see if there are any fun Europeans I could make part of my Court. I discover that I kidnapped the King of West Francia! Unfortunately since he is a landed ruler I couldn't do much with him, so I ransomed him for 200 gold. However, I discovered I also kidnapped his 11 year old grandson, and that grandson is the first born son of the King's first born son and heir to the throne of West Francia! So of course I negotiated a release for the kid and Recruited him and Converted him to Boori and then set him up with a Guardian in my Court set to convert his culture to Sorko-Hausa, and then a couple years later I Betrothed him, patrilinially, to one of my several Genius granddaughters.

So, when this kid hits 16 I believe he's going to leave my Court and head home, right? Will his betrothal be honored? Will I set up a future King of West Francia who worships Boori and has one my dynasty as his bride? I sure hope so.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

How are u posted:

So, when this kid hits 16 I believe he's going to leave my Court and head home, right? Will his betrothal be honored? Will I set up a future King of West Francia who worships Boori and has one my dynasty as his bride? I sure hope so.

He'll stay in your court until he inherits a title. His betrothal will be honored, and yes if he inherits the kingdom he'll be the Boori king of France.

However he's guaranteed to face a massive revolt shortly after inheriting the title, so you'll want to make sure you have land close enough to him that he can call you in as an ally if he doesn't immediately give in to the faction(s).

If you're an emperor though, you could just press his claim on the throne of France once his dad inherits, so even if he loses the title it'll be within your realm. Depending upon your religious laws, you might even be able to just revoke the title from the Catholic king and his dukes, and then hand them out to proper Boori vassals.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Thanks! Well, poo poo. Now I have a good reason to conquer up to North Africa ASAP. I need to position myself to help this poor child.

e: West Francia King is 56 and his son is 39 so I have a little time.

How are u fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 22, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If he's in your court you should be able to matrilineally betroth him so you'd get claims on the French throne in your dynasty even if he loses the revolt.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Moreau posted:

Is By the Sword one of the best traditions? I always end up going for it.

That and Forebearing are on my must have list

If you want to go map painting it is the single best tradition.

Other fantastic ones are Legalistic, Monastic Communities, Equitable, Horse Breeders, and East Roman Legacy.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Other fantastic ones are Legalistic, Monastic Communities, Equitable, Horse Breeders, and East Roman Legacy.

What's the benefit of equitable? I thought that was a strict downside lol.

Also, mystical ancestors for degenerate amounts of renown. Tribal unity/strong kinship for degenerate amounts of prestige. Philosopher culture is nice for research, royal gardens/family business for development.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Here’s a neat trick. Imprison your bishop when he’s involved in a murder plot. Then when you banish him, he gives you 94,000 in gold. I don’t know what to even do with it all.

Also, how did I just learn the power of Buy Claim? This is fantastic.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Well this is confusing. I am the king of Mann which is elective. But then there are other parts of my realm that are confederate partition. OK fine.

What I really don't get is how in the succession my nephew ended up kicking my heir out of the realm capital. Even with partition, that's kind of hosed.

I guess the question is why is the realm law different then my top title, and is there a way to sync them up.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Is there a way to hold more than two Duchies without penalty? That is an extremely annoying limit when you get big.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is there a way to hold more than two Duchies without penalty? That is an extremely annoying limit when you get big.

No, if you want more counties physically you can destroy the extra duchy title.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Practiced Piracy is giant piles of guaranteed money, plus you often end up with interesting prisoners. You lose prestige when returning from the raid, but that 500 prestige is more than made up for by the hundreds/thousands you get from battles while raiding.

And of course if you have the Norse dynasty legacy, it gets really absurd with the bonus prestige and fat stacks of cash from battles.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MikeC posted:

No, if you want more counties physically you can destroy the extra duchy title.

It wasn’t really about holding more counties. Right now I have 13, which is one over my current limit. I’d just like to build more of the duchy buildings, but you only get to do that if you hold the duchy.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Playing title musical chairs so you have good places to build upgrades and duchy building is the worst part when your character dies.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

It wasn’t really about holding more counties. Right now I have 13, which is one over my current limit. I’d just like to build more of the duchy buildings, but you only get to do that if you hold the duchy.

They specifically have that penalty in place to stop you from doing what you want to do. Sorry.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

the counterweight to extra duchy buildings is that opinion modifier. you can hold as many as you want without that penalty if you never become a king.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MikeC posted:

They specifically have that penalty in place to stop you from doing what you want to do. Sorry.

Ah that sucks. I was hoping there was some diplomacy or stewardship bonus somewhere like how your county level can go up and down.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

scaterry posted:

What's the benefit of equitable? I thought that was a strict downside lol.

Also, mystical ancestors for degenerate amounts of renown. Tribal unity/strong kinship for degenerate amounts of prestige. Philosopher culture is nice for research, royal gardens/family business for development.

Nah it's all upsides, Just and Honest are solid traits, and -30% Scheme Power is great since it's quite likely to penalize the people trying to scheme against you.

And yeah Mystical Ancestors is straight up broken, you can use it to just exploit farm every legacy on Day 1 if you really want to. It's good that it's extremely difficult to come by.

Tribal Unity on the other hand I think is terrible. There are far better battle-related ways to farm prestige.

binge crotching posted:

Practiced Piracy is giant piles of guaranteed money, plus you often end up with interesting prisoners. You lose prestige when returning from the raid, but that 500 prestige is more than made up for by the hundreds/thousands you get from battles while raiding.

Oh yeah this is another very broken one, I forgot about it because I so rarely have the 50% coastal counties you need to qualify for it lol. As you say the downside to it is no downside at all (and a big hint that the devs don't know or don't care about the meta for their own game).

No way around it, either be a Super Duke or eat the -15 relations penalty which is not all that bad.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Double posting for another mini-update. Bets on whether Train Commanders works for real now? https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/ck3-dev-diary-91-update-1-5-1-1.1516821/

quote:

###################
# Game Balance
###################
- Vassals can no longer join factions if they have a Truce with their liege

###################
# Localization
###################
- Fixed missing text and tooltips for Cultural Traditions and Cultural Aesthetics in Spanish
- Fixed county title macros in Korean
- Fixed missing translations for the south Asian event pool
- Fixed inspired person text not being translated in Korean

###################
# User Modding
###################
- Fixed a crash in the map editor
- Tree mask assets should now be visible again in the map editor

###################
# Other fixes
###################
- Fix law tooltips in tooltips not showing up correctly
- Fixed an issue that caused the Coat of Arms designer to repeat the same patterns if players were scrolling up and down the list
- Fixed an issue that caused the game to sometimes incorrectly display your custom Coat of Arms for other dynasties
- Fixed a rare crash that occurred when the AI was forming a new hybrid culture
- Fix text offset for icons in law tooltip
- Fixed Aslaug, daughter of Ivar the Boneless, being married instead of betrothed at age 1
- Fixed CTD happening on loading a save after rejecting a culture conversion request.
- Holy Orders can no longer raise themselves in wars without a hostile faith participant, even if they are somehow allied in the war
- Renaming event description now targets other characters properly
- Fixed Ivars sons being older than himself in the bookmark screen
- Fixed missing key for culture conversion interaction
- Added correct naming of new eye socket types in the Customize Appearance menu
- Fixed the Train Commanders task not consistently improving Knights/Commanders and also not boosting the strength of new Men-at-Arms types
- Map pin portrait no longer freezes animation of all the other portraits of the same character
- Relaxed Turkish Eagle achievement culture criteria to not require branching directly from Turkish or Greek anymore. It is enough if these two cultures exist somewhere in the parentage of your new culture
- Trade ports should now be clearer on why they cannot be built when you lack the right cultural tradition or innovation
- Turkish Eagle achievement should now fire again for new saves
- Adjusted triggers and localisation for 'Establish the Theravada Faith' decision and event chain
- Fixed some unnatural looking shadows in certain court room setups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Demon_Corsair posted:

Well this is confusing. I am the king of Mann which is elective. But then there are other parts of my realm that are confederate partition. OK fine.

What I really don't get is how in the succession my nephew ended up kicking my heir out of the realm capital. Even with partition, that's kind of hosed.

I guess the question is why is the realm law different then my top title, and is there a way to sync them up.

Could you elaborate? I'm trying to work this out and some extra details could help.

So your player heir gets your primary title, by definition. Under partition he'd also get your realm capital and everything above it. If the primary's an elective and the rest is partition it still works mostly as expected, unless your primary isn't the de Jure holder of your realm capital. From the wiki:

quote:

A title succession law can be assigned to individual titles; besides the gender laws, these are all a form of elective succession. Options are restricted to certain ranks, cultures and/or titles. If the primary title has a unique title succession law, its de facto capital will not be inherited along with it: it goes to whomever would have been the primary heir according to realm succession alone.
So I'm guessing your capital wasn't in Mann and got knicked. No great loss imo, as if the Kingdom of Mann exists you probably elevated it via descision and therefore really should have your realm capital be there regardless. A work-around for the future is to make sure all the big stuff has elective so it all goes to the same heir, and to keep an eye on the succession screen after changing stuff to make sure it's all working as intended.