Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The Greek Minister of Foreign Affairs has apparently reached out to the Russians about his plan to accompany aid to Mariupol
https://twitter.com/NikosDendias/status/1506292909523537924?s=20&t=ibRW2JcWNy8wkL_el4c4Tw
Brave man. Interesting thing to keep an eye on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

On west supposedly running out of weapons, as some were worried yesterday:

https://twitter.com/fridhkleberg/status/1506661639323541504

So at some point is every soldier in Ukraine going to be sporting anti-tank missile launchers akimbo?

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1506642670734786566?s=21

Can he be sent back to jail for this? Please?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Not sure whether or not the US is a signatory on anything meaningful (because it doesn't matter, because they're the US), but the US absolutely pummeled Fallujah, and much more recently Raqqa, with white phosphorus bombs. Even took out a couple civilian hospitals with them, to make absolutely sure that there was no debate over whether a war crime was in progress.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Nessus posted:

For me also in NJ and on Verizon, it loads:

:byodood: guys, ASSANGE

Of course Joe Rogan makes the front page of RT. What a loving stooge.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

I was pretty sure the US was not a signatory. I could be wrong though, I am not an expert.

If they are it makes some of what happened in Fallujah pretty gross—not that it wasn’t gross regardless.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Now the Lithuanian Minister of Defense is visiting Kyiv. Seems like anyone can get in and out except for the Russians
https://twitter.com/oleksiireznikov/status/1506674947883769868?s=20&t=ibRW2JcWNy8wkL_el4c4Tw

Also new economic sanction proposal "Poland and Baltic states call on EU to ban trucking from Russia and Belarus"
https://twitter.com/EuropeanPravda/status/1506676453815078913?s=20&t=ibRW2JcWNy8wkL_el4c4Tw
Article: https://www.eurointegration.com.ua/news/2022/03/23/7136494/

quote:

The transport ministers of Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia have called for a ban on road transport to and from Russia and Belarus and to restrict the entry of ships from these countries into EU ports.

This is stated in their joint letter to EU Transport Commissioner Adina Valean and EU transport ministers, European Truth reports.

"As Russia continues its brutal war against Ukraine and the European Council convenes to consider further European responses from Russia and Belarus, we call for additional measures in the field of road and sea transport. ports will have the greatest impact if adopted at EU level. Putin's aggressor's actions must receive a strong, cohesive and decisive response from the EU here and now, "said Lithuanian Transport Minister Marius Skuodis.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Interesting turn for Abramovich

https://twitter.com/toddprincetv/status/1506675562458189824

Also, NATO numbers, but god drat.

https://twitter.com/IlvesToomas/status/1506666830924066823

ummel fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 23, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I always thought that that's why he was given leeway by the west, despite not being the richest oligarch he's both the person who got Putin into politics and fairly cosmopolitan by oligarch standards.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

This seems almost impossible to believe, legit source or no. That would seem to be a pretty significant degradation of Russian forces in the region over the span of a few weeks. Pretty great if true!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Nessus posted:

For me also in NJ and on Verizon, it loads:

:byodood: guys, ASSANGE

it loads for me now

also wtf is rogan talking about? who in the west was even thinking about ukraine the last couple of years, outside the trump-adjacent scandals.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OneMoreTime posted:

This seems almost impossible to believe, legit source or no. That would seem to be a pretty significant degradation of Russian forces in the region over the span of a few weeks. Pretty great if true!

they're estimating 7k-15k killed (which seems in the range of what people are thinking), and then multiplying by 3 for the usual number of wounded. however, it's possible that russians are really bad at medical care as well, and so there's less wounded to get to that KIA number. they do not appear to have an independent assessment of wounded numbers beyond that "multiply by three" thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OneMoreTime posted:

Just the same napkin math we've all been doing it looks like.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

evilweasel posted:

they're estimating 7k-15k killed (which seems in the range of what people are thinking), and then multiplying by 3 for the usual number of wounded. however, it's possible that russians are really bad at medical care as well, and so there's less wounded to get to that KIA number. they do not appear to have an independent assessment of wounded numbers beyond that "multiply by three" thing.

I wonder how many wounded there actually are. Seems like a lot of the kills are done via catastrophic vehicular cessation of existence.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

OneMoreTime posted:

Lets say thats 10k dead, another 15k wounded, and 5k in the captured/missing/deserted/unknown bucket.

It's a high end estimate but plausible.

e: I know I've hit 30k not 40k. Tweak the numbers in all three brackets upwards a little.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Seems Germany isn't willing to pay in roubles https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1506677652798820358?s=20&t=mJVmI26kUUtRrXLv6T74Tg

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1506660525106778120?s=20&t=3utdnb366beorfyRnf4X0Q

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Gonna get spicy (and a bit chilly) in Germany.

Luckily Spring is here now!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

KitConstantine posted:

Interesting attempted travel of international political menace Paul Manafort
https://twitter.com/AlexandraChalup/status/1506510474870931456?s=20&t=-2reqshsxtbUCTnXJy0EEg
I bet his phone records are interesting. Also this reminded me he existed and I'm pissed about his pardon all over again.
Please have probable cause to search his phone, please have probable cause to search his phone...
And then charge him for anything done after his pardon. gently caress that traitor.

KitConstantine posted:

Now the Lithuanian Minister of Defense is visiting Kyiv. Seems like anyone can get in and out except for the Russians
:vince:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, the estimated number of combat veterans in the country was 400-450k.
This is worth re-iterating. It's not just that Ukraine has a large number of reserves in terms of numbers of people. They have a large number of people who have seen active combat int the Donbass. iirc, mandatory service had 3 months of training and then a 9-month deployment to Donbas. That's a lot of people who, within the past 8 years, have done weapons marksmanship, lived in hard conditions, can conduct react-to-contact drills, know how to dig a foxhole, know how to care for their feet in wet conditions, know basic first aid, etc. That experience is invaluable, and keeps a lot more of them alive than they would otherwise (even if the TDBs are taking heavier casualties, which would be expected).

Aertuun posted:

All European countries need to rapidly rearm, in a similar style to Ukraine over the past eight years, before Russia figures out how to do logistics properly. We can't rely on the assumption that they'll make the same mistakes twice.
Great point. Strategically, we're in a race. Can Europe re-arm faster than Russian can un-gently caress its military? I think the answer is "yes", but it's going to require a lot of money. The alternative is hoping that Russia doesn't ever un-gently caress its military, but that seems like a bad bet. Sanctions buy time but sitting around hoping Russia says, "welp, I guess we leave our neighbors alone" doesn't sound wise.

Re: Information Warfare Do the various anti-vax, pro-Trump, pro-Brexit channels have their origins in Russian disinformation operations? I realize (assume?) such things take on a life of their own after a time because they become echo chambers, but in a world without the FSB, would those movements have taken off the way they have? Is there any good data-based research on the subject?

Re: Direct Intervention If this veers too close to Clancy-chat let me know and I'll hold my tongue, but is there any realistic scenario in which Poland or other Eastern European countries intervene on their own without the cover of NATO?

Re: Supply I'm speculating, but I think other NATO countries are realizing right now just how important it is to have deep reserves of the basics: food, small arms, grenades, small caliber ammunition. Back in the late 90's the US had enough ammunition to support a Corps-sized formation (call it 9 modern BCTs) for one month of fighting. That's it. That largely got fixed during the 00's, but it's easy for budget cuts to trim into that a little bit at a time in favor of big, flashy platforms.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

OAquinas posted:

Gonna get spicy (and a bit chilly) in Germany.

Luckily Spring is here now!

I assume they call their bluff and keep paying in Euros. If they've not cut the supply so far because they need the money, they're not going to cut it because it's paid in Euros.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DekeThornton posted:

Another batch of AT4's and also some mine clearing equipment, according to Swedish media. I don't think we have enough NLAW's to spare, sadly.

MadJackal posted:

So at some point is every soldier in Ukraine going to be sporting anti-tank missile launchers akimbo?

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1506642670734786566?s=21

Can he be sent back to jail for this? Please?

Not quite, but even with simpler missiles/anti-tank grenades numbers so have an effect, because explosive armour is not something a tank crew will be able to replenish in combat. That’s why these 5000 AT4, and other stuff they’ll undoubtedly be receiving, matters - sure, 5000 Javelins will kill 4500 tanks or IFVs, but 5000 AT4s in cramped city combat will still kill, say, 2000 tanks or 4500 IFVs. There’s a real “strength in numbers” effect to having multiple squad members equipped with proper AT weaponry.

:staredog:

Rinkles posted:

it loads for me now

also wtf is rogan talking about? who in the west was even thinking about ukraine the last couple of years, outside the trump-adjacent scandals.

Isn’t Rogan’s career best summarised as that?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

As expected. This is an incredibly convenient, legal way to start loving Russia up in a politically defensible way. It’s very easy to legalspeak this into “they turned our gas off”.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Lets say thats 10k dead, another 15k wounded, and 5k in the captured/missing/deserted/unknown bucket.

It's a high end estimate but plausible.

e: I know I've hit 30k not 40k. Tweak the numbers in all three brackets upwards a little.

Some context for these numbers RE: the quantity of troops Russia built up for the invasion
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1506682468857954309?s=20&t=c4tM3HFls-glIJcuCWrNPw

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
AT4s are also good anti-infantry weapons in urban environments. Enemy infantry squad in a building? Shoot the wall they're hiding behind. Need to breach a building to get inside? Shoot the wall (from a safe standoff). "Soft" vehicle target like a truck? Pop an AT-4 at it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really wish someone would hit the Russia-Europe gas lines now so germans have a whole year to adapt and maybe buy a "home sweater" or two. It's like doing an intervention on an addict that keeps saying they'll get clean "one day". It will hurt, but the pain will be worse in the long run if they don't.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
Some thoughts on the discussion yesterday about "If Ukraine has reserves why aren't they using them"-

A couple of factors to consider:

A) If Ukraine's current forces are able to stop or slow Russian advances (trading ground for time/making things VERY expensive for Russia in terms of manpower and equipment), Then it may be advantageous to keep that up for a time - especially if Russia is indeed having resupply issues.
B) You want to have a reserve to plug a hole should Russia manage to make a breakthrough on any front.

Wargaming this, one strategy would be to keep the present operational status quo, and bleed Russia badly, before shifting to offensive operations. As has been pointed out, when you shift to Offense, you need to expect to lose more guys than the Defense. So ideally you want to reduce the opposing force as much as possible before shifting to offense, and then hit them with as much overwhelming force as you can.

Mind you, other factors need to be weighed, IE - limited counteroffensive to push Russia out of artillery range, dire relief to encircled troops/cities, etc.

I'm also wondering if that was the remark from the US last night about how things are about to get "really hard" for Ukraine's military - if they are indeed shifting to Offensive operations, that would in fact be the most difficult for Ukrainian forces...

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

OAquinas posted:

I wonder how many wounded there actually are. Seems like a lot of the kills are done via catastrophic vehicular cessation of existence.

There's also frostbite, "oops I shot off my toe," etc. But I'm always a bit skeptical of the napkin math numbers based on ratios--there seem to be a number of factors that could adjust them up or down, such as quality of medical evac and care. For example, the US had closer to a 10-1 wounded-killed ratio in Afghanistan, and I seem to remember a lot of that was attributable to the quality of US medical evac, etc.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/johnsweeneyroar/status/1506629556597366784

John Sweeney reports that Russians are being driven back on the east of Kyiv, as well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As expected. This is an incredibly convenient, legal way to start loving Russia up in a politically defensible way. It’s very easy to legalspeak this into “they turned our gas off”.

would it be at all possible to distribute some gas to Germany via existing European gas ports? or is their throughput too small for that to make sense?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Once new business relationships are built with other nations

This poo poo is sticky btw. Once it shift it don’t shift back.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rinkles posted:

would it be at all possible to distribute some gas to Germany via existing European gas ports? or is their throughput too small for that to make sense?
I think the plan was to start expanding that and bringing in shipments but to be fair to the Germans you cannot turn this around on a dime.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Baronjutter posted:

I really wish someone would hit the Russia-Europe gas lines now so germans have a whole year to adapt and maybe buy a "home sweater" or two. It's like doing an intervention on an addict that keeps saying they'll get clean "one day". It will hurt, but the pain will be worse in the long run if they don't.

Maybe not just sweaters. On March 8th, the Washington Post reported this:

quote:

As they moved closer to announcing the ban, senior Biden administration officials spent the past several days exploring drastic measures to try to protect the global economy from the potential fallout of even higher oil prices.

White House aides, for instance, have studied plans to dramatically scale up U.S. production of energy-efficient heat pumps that they hoped could be used in Europe if European leaders decided to cut imports of Russian oil, said three people with knowledge of the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations. Biden officials have weighed whether these heat pumps could be produced through the Defense Production Act, an emergency national defense law, or through procurement programs at the Defense Department, the people said. Some advocates close to the effort have compared the idea to the Lend-Lease Act program through which the United States sent critical supplies to the Allied nations that had been invaded by Germany in World War II.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/03/08/biden-bans-russian-oil-imports/

If we decide to do that, it would be a remarkable feat of production and generate goodwill through all of Europe. I hope we do.

Further information on heat pumps and potential strategies here.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 23, 2022

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

AT4s are also good anti-infantry weapons in urban environments. Enemy infantry squad in a building? Shoot the wall they're hiding behind. Need to breach a building to get inside? Shoot the wall (from a safe standoff). "Soft" vehicle target like a truck? Pop an AT-4 at it.

Interesting to see how the M72 LAW keeps getting brought back into service just for this lighter duty. Cheaper and lighter than the AT4 and RPG-22

Norway apparently donated a couple thousand M72s to Ukraine.

The Soviet Era RPG-18 is still kicking around too.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This poo poo is sticky btw. Once it shift it don’t shift back.

The shift has already started. Germany came to some kind of deal with Qatar a few days ago - details unclear
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1505583937963401221?s=20&t=yLIaWrLfu0UN3S4DhyyIxA

Edit: still light on details but more definitive-sounding
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1505631947795886080?s=20&t=yLIaWrLfu0UN3S4DhyyIxA

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rinkles posted:

There are not enough LNG terminals in Europe nor enough LNG suppliers to really make a dent here. Something like half of Europe is as dependent on Russian gas as Germany or more, it's not a problem that can be solved quickly.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Re: Direct Intervention If this veers too close to Clancy-chat let me know and I'll hold my tongue, but is there any realistic scenario in which Poland or other Eastern European countries intervene on their own without the cover of NATO?

That’s rather unlikely, if you ask me.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Deteriorata posted:

https://twitter.com/johnsweeneyroar/status/1506629556597366784

John Sweeney reports that Russians are being driven back on the east of Kyiv, as well.

Kalynivka, I think, just outside Kyiv.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i've seen that exact gis platform before, so i know that sometimes the display of layers can get funky, but just visually that amount of blue doesn't seem significant. maybe the layers are messed up, maybe the gains are on critical locations that put the rest in doubt, but it is just humorous to see someone breathlessly reporting on what visually seems to be tiny slivers of the red polygon

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

OAquinas posted:

(CW: War) Ukraine v Russia: catastrophic vehicular cessation of existence !!!READ OP WARNING!!!

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

D34THROW posted:

(CW: War) Ukraine v Russia: catastrophic vehicular cessation of existence !!!READ OP WARNING!!!

Sudden Catastrophic Load Induced Disassembly. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

KitConstantine posted:

Also new economic sanction proposal "Poland and Baltic states call on EU to ban trucking from Russia and Belarus"
https://twitter.com/EuropeanPravda/status/1506676453815078913?s=20&t=ibRW2JcWNy8wkL_el4c4Tw
Article: https://www.eurointegration.com.ua/news/2022/03/23/7136494/

I doubt Finland will be rushing to support this because we have a bit of our infrastructure, uh, borrowed from us by Russia since 1940, and we are paying them rent so that shipping can enter eastern Finland's lake area. Currently authorities are waiting for Russians to open the canal for this season as it's closed in mid-winter. This would be a likely counter-sanction target for any transportation related sanctions.

It's a bit unsure anyway because it's not yet known if Central European insurers will let ships enter Russian waters in fear that they get stopped and confiscated by Russia.