Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Spek posted:

I think one of the sisters Mat rescued from the Seanchan was red and was less obnoxious than the green he saved, no?

Isn't she the one teaming up with Talamanes during the last battle, where they hide in some basement with the canons, just blasting through small gateways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

St0rmD posted:

What's wrong with Pevara?

I guess she was alright. Though as a leader (though not THE head) of the reds, she bares responsibility for their lovely actions in part.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Omfg, I just got to the "tits out for egwene" section of Lord of Chaos and I'm loving dying.

I was able to give that a pass at the time because of reading about a similarish ritual for popes where you had to pull out your junk to prove you were a man and not a lady to get elected because there was an incident. Apparently that's all nonsense but gently caress it. Maybe RJ read it and non political fact checking wasn't a thing in 1994

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Spek posted:

I think one of the sisters Mat rescued from the Seanchan was red and was less obnoxious than the green he saved, no?

Being less obnoxious than the green doesn't mean she wasn't horrible.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wow, what a surprise, the Red Ajah has twice the number of black sisters of any other ajah. I'm shocked

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wow, what a surprise, the Red Ajah has twice the number of black sisters of any other ajah. I'm shocked

Isn't the Red Ajah also twice or more the size of most of the other Ajahs? I know it has a full 1/5 of all Aes Sedai in it.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

CainFortea posted:

Being less obnoxious than the green doesn't mean she wasn't horrible.

Teslyn wasn't horrible. Of the three Aes Sedai Mat rescued from Ebou Dar, she was the only one who consistently showed him gratitude after the fact, and also stood up to Joline and demanded she stop trolling Mat about his medallion. And she also saved Mat from the Gholam when it attacked at the Band's camp.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Anyway I just tweeted to Rafe that if the show doesn't include Rand's joke to the Aiel and their bafflement it will be a complete failure.

You're all welcome.

So long as it also has his bafflement with Aiel stand-up comedy, which mostly takes the form of "Take my wife as gai'shain... please!"

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah so you have Pevara, Teslyn and Silviana who are all presented positively.

Tarna at the very least is presented as being relatively even handed before she's turned.

And Sashelle Anderly is presented very positively in what little we see of her. After she's healed of stilling the Aiel train her and she ends up being a frustratingly good leader in Carhien. I think it's Samitsu, who's one of Cadsuane's menagerie, who expresses annoyance at how power has basically been taken from her by someone sworn to Rand.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Also, it's presented very clearly early on that people are people, and that doesn't change by becoming aes sedai. Lots of people are greedy assholes who like going around hurting innocents who were born "wrong"! It's not like it's surprising they'd mostly group up in one ajah.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Also, it's presented very clearly early on that people are people, and that doesn't change by becoming aes sedai. Lots of people are greedy assholes who like going around hurting innocents who were born "wrong"! It's not like it's surprising they'd mostly group up in one ajah.

I dunno, letting them group up in a dark friend (and dark friend adjacent) breeding factory seems like a bad idea, to me. But I guess I'm just a woolhead.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I dunno, letting them group up in a dark friend (and dark friend adjacent) breeding factory seems like a bad idea, to me. But I guess I'm just a woolhead.

Bad idea, for sure!

I'm saying it's more or less realistic, not that it's a good idea.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Nitrousoxide posted:

To be fair, here's the breakdown of Black sisters according to Verin's "remarkably accurate" accounting, via the wiki:

quote:

Red Ajah: 48/200 or 24%
Green Ajah: 38/180 or 21.1%
Gray Ajah: 31/140 or 22.1%
Brown Ajah: 28/130 or 21.5%
Yellow Ajah: 21/120 or 17.5%
Blue Ajah: 21/100 or 21%
White Ajah: 17/80 or 21.3%

So while the Reds do have the highest percentage, it's not an overwhelming difference, and no ajah was at all immune from infiltration.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hargrimm posted:

To be fair, here's the breakdown of Black sisters according to Verin's "remarkably accurate" accounting, via the wiki:

So while the Reds do have the highest percentage, it's not an overwhelming difference, and no ajah was at all immune from infiltration.

Including, ironically, the Black Ajah.

(Although the Purple Ajah was never infiltrated.)

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hey, putting all the obviously evil people in to one group of your organization is a fantasy staple.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean it's pretty accurate that conservative groups are active recruitment grounds for Nazis, so well palyed RJ.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Skyl3lazer posted:

Hey, putting all the obviously evil people in to one group of your organization is a fantasy staple.

At least you could keep an eye on them easier if they're all in one place.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Crown of Swords is a loving slog. Even moreso that we're transitioning from Nynaeve and Elayne do nothing to :biotruths: with Matt.

Edit: 10 pages later and whoops matt got raped at knifepoint in a scene written for comedy?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 23, 2022

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I’ve noticed this before a few books ago, maybe in Salidar. This pattern Siuan talks about of all of these young sitters. Does anything ever come of this? I can’t remember..

“Salita had only been Aes Sedai for thirty-five years, and rarely was a woman given a chair before wearing the shawl for a hundred or more. Siuan saw a pattern, anyway, and thought it disturbing, though she could not say why. Patterns she could not understand always disturbed Siuan. Still, Salita had stood for war against Elaida, and frequently supported Egwene in the Hall. But not always, and not in this.”

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hexel posted:

I’ve noticed this before a few books ago, maybe in Salidar. This pattern Siuan talks about of all of these young sitters. Does anything ever come of this? I can’t remember..

“Salita had only been Aes Sedai for thirty-five years, and rarely was a woman given a chair before wearing the shawl for a hundred or more. Siuan saw a pattern, anyway, and thought it disturbing, though she could not say why. Patterns she could not understand always disturbed Siuan. Still, Salita had stood for war against Elaida, and frequently supported Egwene in the Hall. But not always, and not in this.”

Most of the Ajah are working behind the scenes to make reunification easy by electing clearly temporary women for their chairs in Salidar or in the Tower so there won't be a fight over who the 'real' sitters are when they recombine.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
IIRC the pattern is that both the Tower and Salidar halls were designed such that they'd be somewhat easy to reintegrate by raising some young / less prestigious sisters that would hopefully be easy to convince to step down once the Tower is united again.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Crown of Swords is a loving slog. Even moreso that we're transitioning from Nynaeve and Elayne do nothing to :biotruths: with Matt.

Edit: 10 pages later and whoops matt got raped at knifepoint in a scene written for comedy?

My interpretation is that you're supposed to feel pretty uncomfortable by Tylin's actions, and it wasn't written quite well enough to convey that.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Additionally, I imagine that there would be a significant loss of face if you were a sitter in the split tower who got effectively demoted during the reunification by failing to retain the seat, so it makes sense to me that the more senior Aes Sedai would let younger sisters take the seats during the divide and be the ones who take that risk. Safer to just aim at taking the seat after the split tower recombines.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Which on the face of it makes a certain kind of sense, but I mean, for fucks sake, REUNIFY THE loving TOWER

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I thought most of the pattern was just the ajah heads trying to get power for themselves by getting younger sisters nominated that they could bully.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Brigeete isn't like all the other girls, she's a cool girl!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
No, the younger sister conspiracy is because the Ajah heads in the White Tower sent younger sisters with enough standing to be sitters to join the rebel hall and encourage them back to the tower.

They then elected younger sitters in the tower to the vacated positions so they could retain control of their Ajahs in the Tower.

And then yes you're absolutely right, upon reunification it would then be easy to unseat those sitters and have a unified Hall.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

silvergoose posted:

My interpretation is that you're supposed to feel pretty uncomfortable by Tylin's actions, and it wasn't written quite well enough to convey that.

Having recently reread that...I just think RJ wrote a bad storyline. It's clear he's going for a "lothario gets more than he bargained for" rather than a cautionary tale about toxic relationships.

There's nothing in there that suggests you should be uncomfortable.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

There's nothing in there that suggests you should be uncomfortable.
Other than, y'know, Mat's incredible discomfort.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

oh god can we not do this again

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

oh god can we not do this again

Apparently every time it comes up

Another way you can tell you're supposed to be uncomfortable is Elayne making fun of him, him explaining what was going on, her still thinking it's kind of funny while he's really loving uncomfortable. And then after he saves her life, she realizes he's not just a caricature in her head but an actual person and really apologizes.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

silvergoose posted:

Apparently every time it comes up

Another way you can tell you're supposed to be uncomfortable is Elayne making fun of him, him explaining what was going on, her still thinking it's kind of funny while he's really loving uncomfortable. And then after he saves her life, she realizes he's not just a caricature in her head but an actual person and really apologizes.

I think you can read it like that, but she's very unclear on what she is apologizing for, and from Mat's PoV later on he has affection for Tylin and enjoys the fruits of her toxic behavior(dressing him fancy and whatnot).

While I understand that response is not uncommon in trauma situations, it's not clear enough that I can trust RJ is handling it well.

The best you have (ch 38 ACOS) is Mat saying that it's "the opposite" when Elayne confronts him about "forcing" the queen, which I agree is a pretty clear statement of rape, but it's not handled like that at literally any other point.

I simply don't trust the "we need more boobs in this ceremony" guy to be subtle about rape.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

I think you can read it like that, but she's very unclear on what she is apologizing for, and from Mat's PoV later on he has affection for Tylin and enjoys the fruits of her toxic behavior(dressing him fancy and whatnot).

While I understand that response is not uncommon in trauma situations, it's not clear enough that I can trust RJ is handling it well.

The best you have (ch 38 ACOS) is Mat saying that it's "the opposite" when Elayne confronts him about "forcing" the queen, which I agree is a pretty clear statement of rape, but it's not handled like that at literally any other point.

I simply don't trust the "we need more boobs in this ceremony" guy to be subtle about rape.

Jordan is very clear, at many points in the series, how he felt about removing people's ability to choose. I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt in that particular area.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

If only Jordan had included a scene where the whole cast sat down and explained why what just happened was wrong

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Jordan is very clear, at many points in the series, how he felt about removing people's ability to choose. I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt in that particular area.

Remember when Rand nearly destroyed the entire pattern because he felt he was being trapped by it and unable to make his own decisions?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Really the solution here would have been for Mat to sit down, look at the camera, and explain exactly what the writer meant.

That or just ignore the idiot who keeps bringing it up to try and score internet points.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Really the solution here would have been for Mat to sit down, look at the camera, and explain exactly what the writer meant.

That or just ignore the idiot who keeps bringing it up to try and score internet points.

Hey mine included the whole cast! Maybe we could have a dance number too

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005
The only thing from Jordan I can find on it is this:

quote:

INTERVIEW: Jun 21st, 1996 ACOS Signing Report - Brian Ritchie

ROBERT JORDAN: He wrote the Mat/Tylin scenario as a humorous role-reversal thing. His editor, and wife, thought it was a good discussion of sexual harassment and rape with comic undertones. She liked it because it dealt with very serious issues in a humorous way. She seemed to think it would be a good way to explain to men/boys what this can be like for women/girls, showing the fear, etc.

Which is both "Yes, it's understood that the character is being victimized," and "Yes, it's supposed to be funny or at least light-hearted."

Do with that what you will, I guess.

That said, isn't there a scene where Beslan finds out the details of what's going on and is like "That's totally not what a relationship with a pretty is supposed to be like, but I can't do anything about it because she's the queen" or am I misremembering?

Gambor fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 23, 2022

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I'm not going to hold "a man getting raped is kind of funny" too much against a guy writing a book in 1996. Especially when the comedic tone is also mixed with an undertone of "but it was still hosed up and not ok".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Trying to work my way through Crossroads of Twilight. Holy poo poo are Perrin's chapters energy draining.