Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ugh, I was totally uninterested until I saw 3PO and R2.

The worst thing is that it’ll probably only be marginally cheaper to bricklink them than to just buy the drat set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rad Valtar posted:

Trash Compactor leaked last night. The walls apparently move in and out. The rumored price is 90 euros. I think I like the other two sets better. From the one photo we have it just looks kind of bland to me especially for that price.

Good god why use this particular angle for a promo shot.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I finished the Mercedes F1 Speed Champions, two really great designs for one low price. Twitter thread of the process:
https://twitter.com/boco_t/status/1500599778761129986

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ugh, I was totally uninterested until I saw 3PO and R2.

Not empty quoting. Still seems like way too much $$$.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess on the bright side that version on C-3P0 with probably go for almost half the cost of the set so if you want you could just buy it and sell that fig and it will be at the price point it should have been at to begin with.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know inflation and all that but it's funny to think about the same price point in 2009 for Lego Star wars as the trash compactor

12 minifigures, 2 speeder bikes, an At-St, a fairly large building that also has an interior, a side build, exclusive fabric prints...

2022. a Brown wall. six minifigures that everyone has. One of them has a gray leg. People will buy it for the gray leg.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Picked up the Luke vs. Dark Troopers set for my son for an Easter Present. He calls every figure he has Luke right now, so I figured I'd get him a real Luke. Plus he'll like the movey-parts.

Also, I found Bricks and Pieces on the Lego website, such a cool feature, was able to buy a bunch of new Falcon Knights for cheap compared to what Bricklink sellers want for them.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Changes yet again -- the trash compactor doesn't have the silver leg C-3PO, it's got the arm prints but that's it. The new leg prints and dual mold are purportedly for the Landspeeder release rumored to hit this year.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Changes yet again -- the trash compactor doesn't have the silver leg C-3PO, it's got the arm prints but that's it. The new leg prints and dual mold are purportedly for the Landspeeder release rumored to hit this year.

Yeah I had heard yesterday that the 3PO was possibly for the Landspeeder. It’s cool having armprints but not $100 cool.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Every day I wake up and thank God that minifigures have no hold on my brain. This hobby is expensive enough as it is.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Also, I’d love to find out myself but as predicted Lasership sucks and delivered my package either elsewhere or not at all, and then also backdated the delivery date to make it look like it was delivered on time.

Lasership completed their “investigation” with :shrug: so I called Lego customer service which was good as always and are re-shipping my order. The Lego rep asked a bunch of questions about my “experience with Lasership” so I’m assuming I’m not the only one complaining.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Also, I found Bricks and Pieces on the Lego website, such a cool feature, was able to buy a bunch of new Falcon Knights for cheap compared to what Bricklink sellers want for them.
B&P / PAB is a deep well, my friend. We (extreme lego nerds) have a whole extremely active discord server dedicated to tracking what comes in and out of stock there.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I held off buying the Republic Gunship for a long time and should have kept holding off, it was big and boring and quick. It's also a pain to display because the wingspan is so wide and you can't do the trick of putting the rear end of it up against the wall on a shelf and have the nose dangle into space (like you can with the X-Wing) because the rear end of it sticks so far back past the back of the stand. The thing's gotta have nearly the display footprint of the Falcon.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Better pics of that Trench run;

Only $60? I'm drooling over that greebling, day one purchase for sure.

I MIGHT get the Dagobah set, but definitely not the compactor. I guess it's the priciest because it has all those minifigs?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
What are the best "large" Technic sets?

I picked up the bucket wheel excavator a few months back and that was fun to put together, and is the biggest set I've ever done. It seems there were a string of really nice large technic sets, but a lot of them are out of production now (Rough Terrain Crane 42082, for instance). Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now I'm just going through Bricklink and seeing what other sets I'd need to build some of the bigger MOCs.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Before I read your second sentence I was already going to suggest 42082. One of my favorites. It's just so tall!

I didn't realize the Liebherr had been retired already. That and the (also retired) M-B Arocs 3245 are probably my other two favorites out of what I've got.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those baby tie fighters are 100% my jam.

Tile versions of wedges when Lego? I crave them.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

DrBouvenstein posted:

I MIGHT get the Dagobah set, but definitely not the compactor. I guess it's the priciest because it has all those minifigs?

60 bucks is quite acceptable. Day One for me as well.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Me "okay, not buying anymore Lego sets till I finishing building one or two of the five sets sitting boxed on my desk"

Also me "This and a cooler DeLorean are out next month? God dammit :homebrew: "

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FBS posted:

Every day I wake up and thank God that minifigures have no hold on my brain. This hobby is expensive enough as it is.

Same. I don't care about minifigs at all, I just want cool models.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

bird with big dick posted:

I held off buying the Republic Gunship for a long time and should have kept holding off, it was big and boring and quick. It's also a pain to display because the wingspan is so wide and you can't do the trick of putting the rear end of it up against the wall on a shelf and have the nose dangle into space (like you can with the X-Wing) because the rear end of it sticks so far back past the back of the stand. The thing's gotta have nearly the display footprint of the Falcon.

I love the Gunship but these were my concerns as well. I feel like the minifig-ish scale one is fine and you can actually play with it. Glad to see my rationale borne out because I HAVE been tempted.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

See, this I can understand dropping 60 bucks on Still overpriced in my opinion but I'm not a SW fan but it looks really pretty. I generally stay away from licensed stuff not just because of the mark up but because they usually don't interest me. (With some exceptions, the Horizon set will be a day 1 purchase and I bought Wall-E after in was out of production for way too much money but I wanted to treat myself after a huge promotion.)

But that compactor set for $90? I just don't get it. Even at half that price I wouldn't even consider it. Again, not a SW fan but it doesn't even look interesting.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

boxen posted:

What are the best "large" Technic sets?

I picked up the bucket wheel excavator a few months back and that was fun to put together, and is the biggest set I've ever done. It seems there were a string of really nice large technic sets, but a lot of them are out of production now (Rough Terrain Crane 42082, for instance). Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now I'm just going through Bricklink and seeing what other sets I'd need to build some of the bigger MOCs.
Liebherr, easily. It's retired but some stores may still have it. Top notch stuff.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Taeke posted:

But that compactor set for $90? I just don't get it. Even at half that price I wouldn't even consider it. Again, not a SW fan but it doesn't even look interesting.

Well I AM a Star Wars fan so I can't help mentioning at R2-D2 and C-3PO were nowhere near the actual trash compactor in the movie, they shut it down remotely. So, there's no reason they need to be dead center on the back side of a set meant for display from the front. They could have had them off to the side somewhere or anything where you'd actually see the extra money you're spending for these minifigs.

When I got back into Lego I was also glad that the minifig bug didn't really grab me, but the longer I'm in it the more it chips away at me. I find I'm immune to stuff like Star Wars and in theory X-Men because I have a bunch of 3.75" and 1:12 scale action figures of those that obviously look better than a minifig. But I've picked up some neat figs in bulk buys, and after a while I broke down and ordered a complete set of the Disney+ Marvel characters, and will definitely do the same for the Muppets coming this year.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
New game!

https://youtu.be/YJQjQ-nfJRY

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

That looks pretty charming

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Big sets with decent discounts. Falcon at $730.

https://us.zavvi.com/lego/flash-sal...dget_id=3533170

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Looks neat so long as the controls are better than Lego worlds. Just got that from the library and it was clunky enough to be infuriating

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Looks like Besiege but with Lego, that sounds really rad

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I see a portal. I wonder if they are going to find a way to integrate dimensions.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Vintage Taxi is back for a week or two. IF you buy a modular. Nice LEGO. Nice.

I think I'm going to call them and see if I can finagle one somehow.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Carbohydrates posted:

B&P / PAB is a deep well, my friend. We (extreme lego nerds) have a whole extremely active discord server dedicated to tracking what comes in and out of stock there.

Oh I'm sure. Makes making MOCs way easier, but it's ever so tempting to keep filling up that cart.

I forgot to put in the Turkey body into my cart last time, I'm going to hold off on buying another cart-worth for a while though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Hell yes, got 20 minifigs from marstoy.net for about $25 and took 3 weeks to ship from china. They don't have a huge selection but way easier to use than AliExpress

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Hey I re-wrote the OP for the first time in 12 years. Have a glance and tell me what I missed or what I should add.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I got extremely lucky today, and in the process might have made myself an accessory to some minor insurance fraud. I'm visiting my mother for the weekend, and while I was in town I passed a local toy store that had piles of cardboard boxes by the register, with the fronts of Lego boxes stuck on, along with price tags. A sign overhead basically said "WATER DAMAGED STOCK, CASH ONLY, NO REFUNDS". I ended up picking up Temple of the Endless Sea, Water Dragon and Ninja Sub Speeder, for €90 total. No idea where I'm going to put them yet, but I do know it will involve some blue LED lighting.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Flyinglemur posted:

I am almost 50 and have rediscovered my love for Lego. My hands shake to the point that I can't paint traditional models and building these really helps calm my anxiety and PTSD.

I just wanted to tell you, I totally get this, and I'm sure a lot of people have that calming feeling while building sets. I'm 36, and when people give me a funny look when I mention my lifelong-and-still-growing collection, I just tell them I find it incredibly relaxing and therapeutic when I'm building sets. Time just seems to slip away and I stop worrying about everything else. Depression and anxiety take a timeout.

Not that it's any of their business, but that seems to make the most sense to people.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I been hearing "video games are for children" and "cartoons are for children" from my boomer parents since I was about 13 years old so "lego is for children" isn't much of a change.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

3 A.M. Radio posted:

I just wanted to tell you, I totally get this, and I'm sure a lot of people have that calming feeling while building sets. I'm 36, and when people give me a funny look when I mention my lifelong-and-still-growing collection, I just tell them I find it incredibly relaxing and therapeutic when I'm building sets. Time just seems to slip away and I stop worrying about everything else. Depression and anxiety take a timeout.

Not that it's any of their business, but that seems to make the most sense to people.

I keep a bowl of parts on my work desk to kinda contemplate and jam together when I'm trying to solve something. They are also kind of calming. Gives my hands something to do even if part of my mind is screaming in the background.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

bird with big dick posted:

I been hearing "video games are for children" and "cartoons are for children" from my boomer parents since I was about 13 years old so "lego is for children" isn't much of a change.

My dad would tell me this without a hint of irony as he ran five Lionel trains simultaneously in a layout that took up everywhre in the basement except the couch and TV I would play playstation on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
My mom had a lot of neurological problems with her fingers from extended alcohol use. So once she stopped drinking, she’s been spending a lot of time buying and building legos, it helps her regain her finger strength and focus on stuff.