Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Djarum posted:

Well with modern Russian hardware the marketing is reportedly pure fiction in a lot of ways. the real capabilities are not much different than the Soviet era tech they have been producing for decades now.

A big reason why China has invested so much in their own designs is that the Russian stuff is so far behind the West that they weren’t interested in overpaying for it. Now they have major issues with their development and manufacturing as well as relying on Russia for critical things but much of their modern hardware is night and day better than what Russia is making.

Hell for example if the Su-57 was anywhere near as capable as they are claiming they would be using it in theater, especially since they do not have air superiority. A stealth multi-role aircraft would be a silver bullet for them to clean radar and anti-air sites. The fact that you haven’t seen it likely means some mixture of lack of training for pilots to perform that mission and lack of faith in the aircraft to be able to perform that mission.

It also might be something they really really do not want chunks of falling into NATO hands. But if it’s as stealthy as advertised it might be seeing some use and just not being seen. The older jets are being forced into flying at low altitude by air defences and can be IDed, this could potentially fly higher without danger of being shot down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Yureina posted:

He's a right-leaning apologist for the British Empire, among other things. I had to read his book on that subject in Uni which basically argues that the British Empire was better than other empires of its time, did some good things that have resulted in former British colonies doing better than other former colonies, and that we should forgive Britain for its sins because it nearly destroyed itself to help defeat the Axis in WW2. He also argued that the US should follow in the same path and get over its hesitation about doing imperial things.

"Not as bad as, say, Belgian Congo" isn't a very compelling argument, IMHO.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, it's one of those things that isn't a big deal but still is in some ways. The immediate danger to Kyiv is past, but it's just one post and I'm generally up anyway so what the hell. If it irritates the mods or becomes probation bait I'll stop.

Nah, I’m fairly certain yours would be the officially sanctioned daily cheerleading post for the thread, if there was a vote to choose one.

Djarum posted:

Something that I read about that stated that a reason why the wreckage for those have not been seen is that they likely were behind enemy lines where the public and/or media haven’t had access to. You have to remember that the Russians were very close to Kyiv until very recently so I imagine as the Ukrainians push them further away we will see a lot of losses that we are not privy to yet.

Americans haven’t been confirming them either, besides one time where they took their words later, and the anticipated western Russia/Belarus flights to Hostomel or Vasylki would all be very much on the radars. They might, of course, be simply unwilling to tip their hand on that, but with some other forecasted actually filtered through OSINT community out of Russia, I’d keep Il shoot downs in speculation zone.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
Wasn't the Bengal famine like the Holodomor 1.5, insanely messed up stuff. Amazing it's not talked about more.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

So much Soviet stuff introduced during the cold war was practically sci-fi for its time and rightfully scared the west to the point that we were lagging behind them when it came to certain weapons systems for most of the cold war. However, the modern grift where Putin and his oligarchs treat their military budget as a personal slush fund has absolutely gutted their ability to actually innovate or improve any of their equipment. They cannot come back from this unless they absolutely stop upend their system of government that relies on palm-greasing paid for by stealing money from the military. If they don't, what the hell are they going to do? Invade with the equipment that wasn't good enough to use in the initial invasion?

Yes and no. Up until the late 70s there was some areas where the Soviets were slightly ahead or near peer with the West. By the 80s they rapidly started to lag behind mostly because they didn’t invest in a lot of technologies that were becoming commonplace. Them trying to match real or imagined is a part of what caused the USSR to collapse. Once the Cold War ended and the West got access to the latest toys most were shocked at how far behind they were.

The 90s were not kind to the Russian arms industry as there wasn’t much money to produce let alone develop systems. A lot of the best talent left to go to other countries or industries entirely. By the time the Russian economy stabilized enough to resume normal military operations and procurement everything was a decade plus out of date. They are still dealing with this now.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Special operation sure happening according to plan.
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1506567320650620930
https://twitter.com/nick_l_miller/status/1506787762254528513

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

MikeC posted:

I hate it when people do this. If you have a beef with what the guy wrote on Bloomberg then you should say what it is. Just saying that he works for some folks that aren't popular on this forum is just an ad hom.

ferguson, in addition to being a prolific right-wing hack, has also had plagiarism and undergrad/grad student abuse allegations swirling around him since at least my own undergrad days

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

gay picnic defence posted:

It also might be something they really really do not want chunks of falling into NATO hands. But if it’s as stealthy as advertised it might be seeing some use and just not being seen. The older jets are being forced into flying at low altitude by air defences and can be IDed, this could potentially fly higher without danger of being shot down.

Well if it was even remotely as capable as they claim you could use it to clear out air defense in for example southern Ukraine to give them clearance for air support in that region.

Also if the Su-57 was flying sorties in Ukraine I am pretty sure the Russians would be crowing about it nonstop. They don’t seem to be worrying about using their latest equipment otherwise so far.

My gut tells me that something is holding them back because they have put nearly everything else into the theater bar the T-14s which have plenty of issues. Hell they have used the things is Syria according to them. Why wouldn’t you use it in Ukraine where it’s capabilities would be a huge answer for several of your issues.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Djarum posted:

Yes and no. Up until the late 70s there was some areas where the Soviets were slightly ahead or near peer with the West. By the 80s they rapidly started to lag behind mostly because they didn’t invest in a lot of technologies that were becoming commonplace. Them trying to match real or imagined is a part of what caused the USSR to collapse. Once the Cold War ended and the West got access to the latest toys most were shocked at how far behind they were.

The 90s were not kind to the Russian arms industry as there wasn’t much money to produce let alone develop systems. A lot of the best talent left to go to other countries or industries entirely. By the time the Russian economy stabilized enough to resume normal military operations and procurement everything was a decade plus out of date. They are still dealing with this now.

Yeah, I was overselling. I'm trying to plow through a book called Eastern and Central Europe: The Opening Curtain?, which is an older book but crammed with info on how the west invested more into high technology and similar things. It's a dense read, though.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

I thought the chances of Putin using tactical nukes in Ukraine was very low? Or is this warning just to make sure he doesn't even entertain that thought?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Willo567 posted:

I thought the chances of Putin using tactical nukes in Ukraine was very low? Or is this warning just to make sure he doesn't even entertain that thought?

Yes

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Like by nature the actual news is bringing up nuke chat, so it's hard not to veer into some Clancy bullshit, but the reality is that it would be less destructive for Russia if Putin nuked Moscow rather than Ukraine. People are just trying to drill it through his narcissism that they are not in the mood for this bullshit, just in case they are feeling really stupid over in his inner circle. Even as hosed up and inexplicable as this war has gone, nobody really thinks it's likely he nukes something....but it's also gone hosed up and inexplicable enough they feel the need to make their position clear.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Yeah, I was overselling. I'm trying to plow through a book called Eastern and Central Europe: The Opening Curtain?, which is an older book but crammed with info on how the west invested more into high technology and similar things. It's a dense read, though.

Honestly, if you read some of the smuggled Soviet-era archives (or the work derived from/summarizing them by Chris Andrew and Mitrokhin) it seems like the reason the USSR stayed as close as it did for as long as it did was industrial espionage by those with an ideological affinity to soviet Communism, and that as the luster faded from that in the 70s/80s and ideological agents stopped stealing secrets, they lost that route for keeping up with the Joneses.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
There is some practicality to it as well. Apparently US/Russia dialogue is breaking down so there have to be other ways to declare red lines and signal how we might respond to tactical nukes.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1506790955109826561?s=20&t=CE71SNu7xDsMgs6mhZBXzQ

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

OddObserver posted:

"Not as bad as, say, Belgian Congo" isn't a very compelling argument, IMHO.

Oh there was a section about that, but the main targets were Imperial/Nazi Germany, Imperial Japan, and the USSR. At least that's what I remember. I don't feel like digging the book out of storage to double-check.

Flagellum posted:

Wasn't the Bengal famine like the Holodomor 1.5, insanely messed up stuff. Amazing it's not talked about more.

IIRC I don't think it was quite as deliberate as the Holodomor, but it was caused by incompetence/neglect for sure and is inexcusable. At least India was able to GTFO of the British Empire shortly after.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Flagellum posted:

43 was 2-4 million compared to holodomors 10. I'd also say the reasons for holodomor are easier to pin on stalin than say the indian famines. If it werent for the USSR there would have been no famine the british made bad famines worse.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/aldin_ww/status/1506870285751967745?s=20&t=x0f2FufdRXTvv_eWoZzQDQ

Fire in the port of Berdyansk.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Fire in the port of Berdyansk.

Yeah, apparently one of their amphibious landing ships got totaled, what is going on there? :psyboom:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Flagellum posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting the 1.5 from, but Holodomor killed something between 4 and 7 million people in Ukraine, the Bengal famine did between 2 and 4 in a larger population. Both share similarities in that once the famine was underway the actions of government worked to exacerbate the disaster and overall suffering rather than alleviate it. Though in origins the two aren't quite the same I think, with Holodomor and the Soviet collectivization famines in general being the direct result of Soviet policies that the authorities, both central and on the ground, knew would result in suffering and death (which was accepted as necessary, alongside the extent of the disaster that occured being far greater than foreseen), while the exact outbreak of the Bengal famine was more tied to war and supply (and then made infinitely worse by the actions of the British authorities who had it in their power to alleviate the extent of the disaster, because overall there was sufficient food in other parts of British India and the infrastructure to supply it).

Also keep in mind that Ukraine was not the only part of the Soviet Union that suffered famine and repression as part of agricultural collectivization, IIRC about a million died in southern regions of the Russian SSR and then there's the Kazakh famine of 1929-1933 which killed between 1 and 2 million people, overwhelmingly ethnic Kazakh nomads (as collectivization was combined with a general campaign to remake Kazakh society by eliminating pastoral nomadism) who constituted 90% of the victims. Together with masses of refugees (who mostly made for China), Kazakhstan lost half of its population, and Kazakhs themselves were rendered a minority in their own republic for the remainder of Soviet history. That's also one that's almsot never talked about because people are just woefully unaware of it.

Yureina posted:

IIRC I don't think it was quite as deliberate as the Holodomor, but it was caused by incompetence/neglect for sure and is inexcusable. At least India was able to GTFO of the British Empire shortly after.

See above, there is a point where you can no longer excuse things by just incompetence and neglect, especially when the disaster is already underway.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Flagellum posted:

Yeah, apparently one of their amphibious landing ships got totaled, what is going on there? :psyboom:

Ukrainian missile attack from what the early reports are saying.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1506835874012610560

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Flagellum posted:

Whatever happened while something was on fire it exploded -2nd video- in a pretty large fashion. Pretty sure whatever it is that exploded is effectively no more, and anything right next to it probably would of taken a bit of a beating.

https://twitter.com/aldin_ww/status/1506881315630637058

Would imagine Russian navy would be a bit hesitant to use that port again. Although with how many times that airport helicopter places has been repeatedly bombed and then reused then who knows?

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 24, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

nine-gear crow posted:

I've chosen to believe that these posts are singlehandedly helping Ukraine begin to win this war, so I hope they continue.

Detiorata is actually typing those posts up from an ambush position outside of kiev. When you see a piece in the NYT about an American grandpa firing AT rockets into BMPs, that will be him

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Trump posted:

Ukrainian missile attack from what the early reports are saying.

I wonder what missiles Ukraine has in their arsenal that could do that? The port is some distance from the front lines so I doubt any of their MLRS artillery could hit it.

Maybe we're finally seeing their Neptune missiles.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://twitter.com/FedorovMykhailo/status/1506644669362540548

They are using Clearview AI tech to ID dead Russians and then using the information to contact their families in Russia to inform them of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f0867da3721787d
What happens to the body when Ukraine captures a Russian corpse? Are there third-party channels to send the bodies home?

The Geneva conventions require this sort of thing to happen, but is it actually happening in the current war? We've yet to see a report along the lines of "Ukraine has x thousand bodies to send home and needs to know how to deliver them" or similar

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

What happens to the body when Ukraine captures a Russian corpse? Are there third-party channels to send the bodies home?

The Geneva conventions require this sort of thing to happen, but is it actually happening in the current war? We've yet to see a report along the lines of "Ukraine has x thousand bodies to send home and needs to know how to deliver them" or similar

"Toss 'em on the pile" I'd wager at this moment. Or just leave them where they are.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

I wonder what missiles Ukraine has in their arsenal that could do that? The port is some distance from the front lines so I doubt any of their MLRS artillery could hit it.

Maybe we're finally seeing their Neptune missiles.

Speculation

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1506884938368532482

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

KitConstantine posted:

Putin does seem to be seeking to go full Stalin, next logical step is Commander in Chief. Maybe he'll answer himself after he closes the windows behind his ex-generals.

As president, Putin already is comrade Supreme Commander in Chief. He still could give himself the rank of generalissimus, though...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Commander-in-Chief_of_the_Russian_Armed_Forces

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ShadowHawk posted:

Ukraine says they are trying to send the bodies to Russia via the Red Cross channels, but Russia won't accept. At least that's what the Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk said.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Makes sense. Supplying the forces besieging Mariupol might've just got a bit harder if there's a blown up hulk blocking the port. I wonder if they'll risk further resupply attempts now Ukraine apparently can hit them while they unload.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/C_Barraud/status/1506890812067651585

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

ShadowHawk posted:

There were tweets and maybe an article a few days ago that claimed that in some areas Russian bodies were exchanged for Ukrainian POWs.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

a podcast for cats posted:

There were tweets and maybe an article a few days ago that claimed that in some areas Russian bodies were exchanged for Ukrainian POWs.

loving christ that's grim.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Makes sense. Supplying the forces besieging Mariupol might've just got a bit harder if there's a blown up hulk blocking the port. I wonder if they'll risk further resupply attempts now Ukraine apparently can hit them while they unload.

Would a Totchka-U be accurate enough to hit a docked ship? If that's what hit this ship then it was probably an extremely lucky hit. I wonder if maybe it was a Bayrkatar strike instead? Maybe it got lucky and hit an ammo storage part of the ship. Or maybe it was one of the Neptune missiles that Ukraine has.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://twitter.com/wolski_jaros/status/1506890559184592897?s=21

Ship identified as a Tapir class, one wrecked, the other one damaged. This guy is a reliable Polish analyst providing a lot of good intel on the war situation, so I trust him on this.
A good hit.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Can't find an English version of this news, but it looks like some of the anti-russian messages in the Finnish university were coming from real Ukrainian persons. https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-12371862
Now there has been a bomb threat agains Russian embassy in Helsinki. https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-12372880 uh...

a podcast for cats posted:

They exchange 6 russian bodies for 2 Ukrainian POWs.
:nms: Dead bods in the video. https://www.rferl.org/a/ukrainian-team-collects-dead-russian-soldiers-to-exchange-for-ukrainian-pows/31761248.html :nms:

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Djarum posted:

A big reason why China has invested so much in their own designs is that the Russian stuff is so far behind the West that they weren’t interested in overpaying for it.

You're overlooking the recent quantum leap in combat trike capabilities

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
im surprised they would trade bodies for POWs

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Random Integer posted:

You're overlooking the recent quantum leap in combat trike capabilities

Is that a Maxim gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

im surprised they would trade bodies for POWs

Same honestly. The Russian government clearly doesn't give even the slightest of a drat about the welfare of it's soldiers. Possibly the deal was struck by someone in the Russian army who actually does at least care to the bare minimum?