Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

mobby_6kl posted:

There were no "red lines" so far, Biden said staright up he wasn't getting involved up until now

Biden's comment on chemical weapons being used still doesn't promise military action specifically, just that the U.S. would respond to it to be ambiguous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Chalks posted:

This seems like extremely heavy bombardment, does anyone know how this compares to previous attacks on other targets? This airport has been hit before I think, but this footage seems to show hundreds of strikes.

It seems like Ukraine is ramping up for a heavy attempt to liberate Kherson, possibly before Mariupol falls.

Would make the Russian's capture of the rubble of Mariupol feel pretty hollow if they are pushed out of Kyiv and Kherson has been re-taken.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GaussianCopula posted:

I mean ... it does make some sense.

Imagine May 9th while the war is still ongoing. Does the regime delay the parade because of a ~special military operation~ that started 3 month ago? Makes you look bad.
Having the parade while a good chunk of your army is actually fighting a war and dying? Makes you look terrible.

So just declare victory over the Ukraining Nazis and celebrate it with a shiny parade on May 9th.

they will go with option B. go full Potemkin army/nation.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bit difficult for the Russians to tell the people of Kherson they have everything under control when they are getting this nightly fireworks display.

Also today really demonstrating the modern reason why in a peer conflict you really need to stay the hell away from populated areas as much as possible - anyone with a cell phone can take a photo of your stuff and ping it to the other side and then any unemployed media studies dropout with googlemaps can geolocate you and work up a strike package.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

Wouldn't Putin just use the chemicals the way he wanted to use them anyways? Have any red lines made so far this war been effective?

putin would absolutely like to interdict military aid convoys in NATO territory if he could, but he can't because the alliance's collective defense clause is the biggest reddest line on the planet

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Uff
https://twitter.com/lionel_trolling/status/1507074615067258886

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

evilweasel posted:

it really misses a lot of nuance. for something like the purge, you can explain the bizarre legalism less by a "the rules must be obeyed in any bureaucracy" and more that the people involved in a terrible, terrible thing need that fig leaf of rules and the like to disassociate themselves from randomly murdering millions of people with no real coherent reason why. the insistence on confessions fits more into that sort of viewpoint - giving the executioners something to hold onto that they're not murderers - than a bizarre bureaucracy that Must Follow The Rules. and that's his only really good example that he has.

his one other example - the guy who intentionally committed a crime to get put in jail, to avoid the purges - is a completely different explanation. it's just exploiting a human blind spot: the purges were to get rid of anyone who potentially, maybe, under any theory is a threat. who are threats? free people, of course, not people in jail. also, state security is looking at free people because it's not finding a loophole in the Immutable Laws of Bureaucracy, it's just moving somewhere different than where people are looking.

this guy is a persuasive writer but i now see why people who have dug into his other threads don't think they're actually very insightful or correct.

This essay was definitely pretty rough, but I think I interpreted the author a bit differently. I don't think they're arguing that the Shadow Bureaucracy is something totally removed from it's participants, and that it must be followed unquestioningly. The argument seems more-so that while to westerners so much of Russian society seems to function by the naked application of force, there is actually a parallel, unwritten set of institutions which guide it. Your examples of needing a fig leaf for executions, or not caring about dissidents already in jail, strike me less like refutations of that point, and more like a continuation explaining how those unwritten rules got to where they are.

Now I don't actually know if the essay is right on that point, but that was my main takeaway from reading it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

This is so dumb I'm tempted to think it's just Ukrainian propaganda. Set a false deadline so that Moscow looks bad both for projecting it and for missing it, demoralize the Russian troops who know it's idiotic, etc.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is so dumb I'm tempted to think it's just Ukrainian propaganda. Set a false deadline so that Moscow looks bad both for projecting it and for missing it, demoralize the Russian troops who know it's idiotic, etc.

I don’t know I remember how pissed they were about having it delayed due to Covid one year,and made sure that didn’t happen in 2021. So I could see Putin wanting poo poo wrapped up, and besides he’s surrounded by sycophants and people who collects sticks of wood for fun, well maybe not the latter anymore, so it’s not like he’s getting good advice.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's almost certainly Ukrainian propaganda, but I vaguely recall a couple instances during WW2 where Red Army operations were rushed to have success by certain symbolic date. Also Putin loooooooves those dumb propaganda moves. Look at how prevalent Colorado Potato Beetle ribbons have become lately.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Willo567 posted:

Biden's comment on chemical weapons being used still doesn't promise military action specifically, just that the U.S. would respond to it to be ambiguous.

Exactly. It’s ambiguous on purpose so it creates uncertainty. Now if Putin contemplates using weapons of mass destruction he’s got to think long and hard about how exactly NATO might respond, instead of just shrugging and thinking “how much more can we be sanctioned? At this point that doesn’t matter much.”

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Some of the logistic and economic projections I've seen have been saying that Russia won't be capable of waging a real war much longer than that. This might be the Kremlin's way of pushing this point without having to admit it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The nazi menace will hopefully be eradicated before the 9th of April.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

Yeah I worded that pretty poorly, didn't mean to imply that there's a red line now. But at least it's better than we won't do poo poo.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I don't take it all that seriously but it's certainly believable.

Here's some more things to take with grains of salt:
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1507117009066151946?s=20&t=kTeTwnaPLnKKvFxrrXbogA

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1507103735067164680?s=20&t=kTeTwnaPLnKKvFxrrXbogA

https://twitter.com/ZcohenCNN/status/1507110258560405512?s=20&t=kTeTwnaPLnKKvFxrrXbogA

https://twitter.com/ruslantrad/status/1507075445392560141?s=20&t=kTeTwnaPLnKKvFxrrXbogA

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

More reports of Ukrainians "refugees" in Russia that are actually essentially kidnapping victims.
https://twitter.com/lesiavasylenko/status/1507111857458405392?t=AweRXhf1ovoudXGShrgnYw&s=19
Also reports that the Russians are taking their Ukrainian passports away

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

As someone smart once said "Russia is never as strong or as weak as you think", or something similar. Putin can easily drag that war as long as required, even if it means wiping out last 20 years of economic development. People will either move out or just accept hardships.
e: I wonder where will they get Russian/Soviet made ground attack planes. NATO members have just a handful. Comedy option: Algeria and Pakistan.

alex314 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 24, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Chalks posted:

This seems like extremely heavy bombardment, does anyone know how this compares to previous attacks on other targets? This airport has been hit before I think, but this footage seems to show hundreds of strikes.

I didn't count the total # of explosions but that looks like just a couple or at most a few MLRS launchers with some rockets with cluster or other submunition payloads mixed in, which presumably are what you can see airbursting over the target. And thankfully used in the exact context they're meant to be used..

Still that's a helluva bombardment, good lord.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

alex314 posted:

As someone smart once said "Russia is never as strong or as weak as you think", or something similar. Putin can easily drag that war as long as required, even if it means wiping out last 20 years of economic development. People will either move out or just accept hardships.

"Just move out" doesn't work if they close the borders, and there are already reports of Russia turning back people trying to leave.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

This article is useful for the 15% of town being controlled by the Russians still and the casualty figures, but oh boy does it spend a lot of time saying "despite what the Ukranians say, this is still a front line, it is not a safe place for civilians" which is arguing against something I don't think the Ukranians ever said.

Yeah even from just the opening lines I saw it was weird.
Like being recently retaken, and still being under fire, are not like... incompatible. In fact they're very logically connected phenomena!

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

No kidding, how is that even possible? If you take that at face value either the hit rate is miniscule, the missiles are getting captured left and right, or Russia won't have anything motorized by this time next week.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

The_Franz posted:

"Just move out" doesn't work if they close the borders, and there are already reports of Russia turning back people trying to leave.

Yeah, I imagine it got a lot trickier that it used to. At least Kaliningrad-Poland border is completely dead. I imagine a lot of people doesn't have means to just hop on a plane to Kazakhstan or China and then either hole up there or move further.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

alex314 posted:

As someone smart once said "Russia is never as strong or as weak as you think", or something similar.

But they can be eight trillion times more incompetent

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Flappy Bert posted:

No kidding, how is that even possible? If you take that at face value either the hit rate is miniscule, the missiles are getting captured left and right, or Russia won't have anything motorized by this time next week.

Could it be possible that most of the weapons are falling into enemy hands? It's either that or all those cruise missile attacks and bombardments are destroying them.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I don't take it all that seriously but it's certainly believable.

Here's some more things to take with grains of salt:

https://twitter.com/ZcohenCNN/status/1507110258560405512?s=20&t=kTeTwnaPLnKKvFxrrXbogA

So the Ukrainians are basically asking for AC-130U Spookies which I would say could be very effective in this conflict, but I can't imagine this is realistic since crew training for that is 18 months.

I am kind of surprised the US hasn't developed a drone to do the Spooky mission.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Or they need 500 per day to also arm the forces they are mobilizing and sending out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Flappy Bert posted:

Assuming no losses at all, that's one in every thousand soldiers shooting once or twice a day. This is a big war.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Flappy Bert posted:

Was just gonna say, there's no way they're using 500 stingers per day. But they do probably want to grow the stock to distribute it everywhere.

The aircraft and helicopters are more interesting. And problematic, where are they going to get that many Soviet surplus.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Flappy Bert posted:

I wouldn't take it at face value. Instead, they're continuing to pressure the US to ratchet up its support or the West risks Ukraine losing the war.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Djarum posted:

So the Ukrainians are basically asking for AC-130U Spookies which I would say could be very effective in this conflict, but I can't imagine this is realistic since crew training for that is 18 months.

I am kind of surprised the US hasn't developed a drone to do the Spooky mission.

Nah, it's like with the MiG-29s, they're asking for more of what they already have; designed for CAS means it's almost certainly the SU-25s that CZ/Bulgaria still have.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Or they need 500 per day to also arm the forces they are mobilizing and sending out.

This was my thought. They certainly don't need 500 stingers because of daily usage.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Could it be possible that most of the weapons are falling into enemy hands? It's either that or all those cruise missile attacks and bombardments are destroying them.

There's A LOT of infantry units being formed. I'm surprised he didn't ask for 50k of rifles per week with sufficient ammo. But I imagine a lot of them do get destroyed. Some non-profit dudes in Poland were organizing purchase of uniforms, boots, helmets, and rest of soldier equipment outside of weapons. And in the gifts they've received there were a couple of GPS trackers..

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Was just gonna say, there's no way they're using 500 stingers per day. But they do probably want to grow the stock to distribute it everywhere.

The aircraft and helicopters are more interesting. And problematic, where are they going to get that many Soviet surplus.

This might be a push to get NATO Eastern European allies to give them theirs in exchange for F35s or whatever older model the US has a surplus of.

Specific request at the very least.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Hungary has at least 23 Fulcrums rotting in hangars, the military tried to auction them off a few years ago but no-one wanted them.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Flappy Bert posted:

I seen a maxim about never underestimate how much a useful munition will be used in war. I am not sure about the Stingers but I always laughed when people talked about how many javelins there were for each Russian tank (ie, implying each tank was going to be killed each time over) as if the rockets will not be used in multiples on tanks, used on buildings, individual soldiers, letter boxes and for celebrating a Lionel Messi goal.

e) and I never thought about it before but if you can aim a Stinger at a person, they will get uses as sniper rockets. - ie, Ukraine will want 10's of thousands of these things, 100's of thousands if it drags on.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 24, 2022

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
As anyone who has ever sold something on Craigslist or goon mart knows, if you want to get $50 for your doodad you list it for $100.

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Ouch, this seems like a tough thing to lose. Not sure how it got captured unless a front got completely overrun, wouldn't something like this be deep within friendly territory?

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1507105187940515840

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Hungary has at least 23 Fulcrums rotting in hangars, the military tried to auction them off a few years ago but no-one wanted them.

Unfortunately, they're in Hungary...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

We’d know if that was the case. The total of Russian propaganda captures over the month is like 10 Javelins on video. I think it’s

Threadkiller Dog posted:

This. We’re hitting month since maximum mobilisation was announced quite soon, and it’s likely a safe assumption to say that Ukraine is unable to given the fanciest of launchers to each reserves squad.

Could be other things, like them preparing or Kharkiv or Kyiv siege and asking for the allies to increase deliveries.

Lastly, it’s a negotiation. When you need 250, you ask for 375 - might as well round up to 500 then, so it’s pretty.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Flappy Bert posted:

It's not as simple as one missile = one dead Russian tank or aircraft. A lot of the AA missiles miss for various reasons. A lot of the tanks don't get fully destroyed with one hit or miss altogether. That's why when people say the Ukrainians have more missiles than Russia has vehicles to blow up, it doesn't mean that Ukrainians won't need more missiles sent to them.