Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

DoubleT2172 posted:

Ryobi is releasing a revised stick vac in the near future too so hopefully they'll fix the problems with the old one

I am looking forward to them fixing it.. I'd love to dump my shark which is starting to die and have another thing I have eleventy batteries for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of vacuums, I posted about the Makita one before. IMO it's great at the price but the filter does get clogged up pretty quickly if you're sucking in fine dust or other small sticky stuff. Well turns out there's cyclonic attachment you can get for them which should solve that issue, p/n 191D75-5

It costs more than the vacuumn :negative: but if that was your main complaint, it can be solved.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Miele in the sheets
Ryobi in the streets

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Bauer on the track

Milwaukee in the sack

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh look, all the New/Coming Soon stick vacs from Ryobi are cyclonic, my prayers are answered: https://www.ryobitools.com/interests/cleaning

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of vacuums, I posted about the Makita one before. IMO it's great at the price but the filter does get clogged up pretty quickly if you're sucking in fine dust or other small sticky stuff. Well turns out there's cyclonic attachment you can get for them which should solve that issue, p/n 191D75-5

It costs more than the vacuumn :negative: but if that was your main complaint, it can be solved.

what? the tool only is $90 and the attachment is $35

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A bit disappointed in my Klein heavy duty lineman’s pliers tbh, haven’t used them much but the cutting blades are already nicked real good. Won’t cut all wire that’s all the way in anymore. Might try to warranty these but probably won’t buy them in the future.

E: better picture

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 24, 2022

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
That might have been a bad heat treat

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vim Fuego posted:

That might have been a bad heat treat

Could be .. I specifically bought the pliers that were marketed for cutting nails & screws, so I thought they’d hold up. Too bad, this was the first pair of pliers I’ve bought new and got the Kleins thinking they’d be the best … didnt live up to the hype though. Might get the Channelock version next

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

A bit disappointed in my Klein heavy duty lineman’s pliers tbh, haven’t used them much but the cutting blades are already nicked real good. Won’t cut all wire that’s all the way in anymore. Might try to warranty these but probably won’t buy them in the future.

Ein klein nicked musick?

Ok by.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Good thing about Klein is you can usually just take them to a dealer and they'll swap it out for you and deal with the warranty themselves. My local electrical supply shop has replaced several of my Klein tools.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

Ein klein nicked musick?

Ok by.

:golfclap:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

Ein klein nicked musick?

Ok by.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Saucer Hovers posted:

what? the tool only is $90 and the attachment is $35

I got the vacuum (well, the DCL180Z, maybe there are different ones) w/o the battery for like $25.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Mambold posted:

Ein klein nicked musick?

Ok by.

:haw:

Rufio posted:

Good thing about Klein is you can usually just take them to a dealer and they'll swap it out for you and deal with the warranty themselves. My local electrical supply shop has replaced several of my Klein tools.

Great info .. Got it from the Homeless Despot, so not a "dealer" per se but still worth a try. Will update :cheers:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Could be .. I specifically bought the pliers that were marketed for cutting nails & screws, so I thought they’d hold up. Too bad, this was the first pair of pliers I’ve bought new and got the Kleins thinking they’d be the best … didnt live up to the hype though. Might get the Channelock version next

Nails, yes. Screws, eh.

Nails are designed to be soft-ish. Screws are super hard. If you cut through screws (like drywall or construction screws, not machine screws) with them, that definitely did it. If not, it's likely a bad heat treat.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

:haw:

Great info .. Got it from the Homeless Despot, so not a "dealer" per se but still worth a try. Will update :cheers:

Just look up the local dealer on the Klein website, it doesn't have to be the place you bought it from. I found an old pair of ratchet cutters on the ground once and brought them in and got a new set.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Recent review of pliers for this job. Looks like Klein more prone to damage.

https://youtu.be/vO3UX4oEnZI

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I really like the jaws on my Knipex Cobolt mini bolt cutters. Excellent heat treat and so far no dents or chips.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Looking at EGO string trimmers, they have a bundle with a 530 cfm blower too. Having never owned a leaf blower, is 530 enough? I don't have much in the way of heavy wet leaves but when they go up to 765 cfm, makes me wonder what is good enough.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Have the 530 and works great for regular uses, I'm sure there's people out there who need more but I don't. I had a non-terrible corded blower before and this is actually a higher CFM than that on turbo.

It's got a high-low regular adjustment which is on the low end, and then a turbo button for full speed. I run it on the high regular setting like 90% of the time and it does a good job of keeping things controlled, and then blast turbo only if I need to get a pile moving or reach a long ways to give you an idea.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
That's helpful, thank you.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Yeah. I have the 530 and it's worked for me. I haven't tried to move huge piles of wet leaves tho. Just normal size piles of damp leaves

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sharkytm posted:

Nails, yes. Screws, eh.

Nails are designed to be soft-ish. Screws are super hard. If you cut through screws (like drywall or construction screws, not machine screws) with them, that definitely did it. If not, it's likely a bad heat treat.

Guilty as charged but man what a crock of poo poo .. They shouldn't put that on the packaging if it'll damage them. I figured I'd have pliers & cutters in one tool but guess not. The Project Farm guy did a video and most of the pliers sustained damage after one deck screw :sad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BQEy8jt47g&t=685s

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 26, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Whats a decent brand for a set of duct crimping pliers?

Don't need the most expensive set as they'll probably be used for one job. I just don't want to buy some total poo poo that breaks every time I try to use them.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
As an FYI knipex publishes the cutting capability of all their pliers, rated from soft metals (wire) to piano wire.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Ok definitely loving this Ridgid planer. I enjoy a little hand planing, but flattening a 4 foot board 100%? And then getting a gd parallel surface to a consistent thickness and also 100% flat? F that.

Didn't even think about skipping the opposite edge too. So much easier getting the twist out and getting it pretty flat, jointing one edge, and then running it through.

Note to self, run the edge through first so it has more reference area. It definitely did not like that as much round 2 lol. Good thing I cut it fat to begin with.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 27, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bob Mundon posted:

Ok definitely loving this Ridgid planer. I enjoy a little hand planing, but flattening a 4 foot board 100%? And then getting a gd parallel surface to a consistent thickness and also 100% flat? F that.

Didn't even think about skipping the opposite edge too. So much easier getting the twist out and getting it pretty flat, jointing one edge, and then running it through.

Note to self, run the edge through first so it has more reference area. It definitely did not like that as much round 2 lol. Good thing I cut it fat to begin with.

That was the basic method I used for prepping my workbench stock - use the cambered and jack planes to make a flat surface, and then finish it off with the ridgid thickness planer.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Getting the opposite face parallel was always my nemesis. Pretty happy so far.

Also I heard people mention it's a hassle to get Ridgid to give you the lifetime warranty if you buy factory blem through Direct Tools Outlet. It did tell me I had to mail everything in, but still have me the option to upload the receipt. Then using their chat function I asked and they were able to approve the warranty right then. Not as simple as Home Depot one click approval, but still way easier then I was bracing for.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Talk me into our out of buying a cheap or expensive angle grinder.

I don't really have any metal work needs, but I'm probably more interested in using it with wire brushes. Currently I've got two projects in mind. First, grinding off some nasty old basement floor paint where my cats have peed so I can repaint. Second is cleaning out some cracks/gaps in the sidewalk driveway that are fully of dirt and weeds so I can seal them.

Deciding between the $45 "regular" Ryobi cordless grinder, or the $99 Ryobi HP cordless grinder. Or $189 for that HP grinder if I need to get it with an HP battery, since all my batteries are "regular. The cheaper option is probably fine for what I have in mind for it now, and I'm not sure what use I'd get of a more expensive grinder for common home projects/repair in a house on a small lot in the middle of the city.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Both of those jobs sound like corded angle grinder jobs.

And will be serviced just fine with $20 harbor freight specials.

I know that's not the fun answer, but it's the truth. If you want your HF grinder to last a long time just take it apart as soon as you get it home, clean out all of the "grease" they put in there and repack it with basically any grease you find at the auto parts store.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Motronic posted:

Both of those jobs sound like corded angle grinder jobs.

And will be serviced just fine with $20 harbor freight specials.

I know that's not the fun answer, but it's the truth. If you want your HF grinder to last a long time just take it apart as soon as you get it home, clean out all of the "grease" they put in there and repack it with basically any grease you find at the auto parts store.

This. I mean even if you get real fancy and decide to go with a corded from one of the big manufacturers the 10 amp DeWalt is like $70 if you can snag it up on sale. But yeah, any cheap, corded angle grinder will do the trick.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't really have any metal work needs, but I'm probably more interested in using it with wire brushes. Currently I've got two projects in mind. First, grinding off some nasty old basement floor paint where my cats have peed so I can repaint. Second is cleaning out some cracks/gaps in the sidewalk driveway that are fully of dirt and weeds so I can seal them.

Deciding between the $45 "regular" Ryobi cordless grinder, or the $99 Ryobi HP cordless grinder. Or $189 for that HP grinder if I need to get it with an HP battery, since all my batteries are "regular. The cheaper option is probably fine for what I have in mind for it now, and I'm not sure what use I'd get of a more expensive grinder for common home projects/repair in a house on a small lot in the middle of the city.

I'd talk you into getting a decent corded, you'll probably have it for life and they're very versatile. Plus they can cut ANYTHING :getin: Someone recommended going to the store and handling them so you can see what feels good, and it's good advice. Corded is nice because you can use it for extended periods, like when stripping floors

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It depends on how much run time you need. For any kind of extended usage I would prefer a corded version, especially if you're trying to spin a wire wheel. They have more power, spin faster, and don't eat through batteries super quick. You can find one for $50-70 and they'll have more power than any battery version.

Angle grinders are battery hogs. You'll want a 4ah battery or larger which might give you 20 minutes of run time depending on the weight of your wheel and how hard you push it. If you're going cordless, I wouldn't go with the cheapest ($49). I would rather spend the extra ($99) and get the brushless version because it's going to be a better tool and give you more run time.

Hopefully you're already in the ryobi system and have a large battery because the price of the battery and tool will be pricey together ($189). If you can wait, you can take advantage of their fathers day sale, "buy this item and get another under $99 free". Usually there's a dual 4ah battery combo for $99 and you get a tool under $99 for free.

If your use case is pretty small, battery might be okay and you can use the battery elsewhere. You can also see if you have a tool library near you so you don't have to buy it.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't really have any metal work needs, but I'm probably more interested in using it with wire brushes.

Relevant reddit comment.

someone on reddit posted:

Hey OP not sure if you have experience with wire brushes but here goes! Let me learn you a thing or two (hopefully)

1) first just noting that yes indeed you put the wire brush on the wrong way. That hex nut should be facing inwards not outwards, this is probably why you have more difficulty removing it.

2) speed, wire brushes are pains in the butt to use. Especially on 4-1/2" grinders. The speed is waaay too fast. This will likely cause fast wire breakage and more difficulty to control. Generally with wire brushes the optimal RPM is about half to 2/3 of the max speed listed on the hub of the brush. This will give you the best removal to life ratio.

3) PPE. For the love of all that is Holy, please wear PPE when using the bad boys, you do not want one of the needle wires going in your arm or eye (this is really painful). Eye protection and face shield if possible. Long sleeves/pants and leather gloves. Even recommend good puncture protection shoes as the wires can get stuck in your soles.

Source: I work R&D for a wire brush company.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

Cordless are great for light duty stuff. Buy a cheapy.

Had to find my old post about grinders...

quote:

4.5". Buy one name-brand. Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Metabo (German Metabo, not HPT). Put whatever hard rock wheel you need on it. Put a cutoff on the other grinder. Wait, did I say one grinder?

Two grinders. I suggest a Makita 4" and a name-brand 4.5". Put a flapdisk on the 4", and a hard rock on the 4.5". Wait, you needed a cutoff wheel on a grinder, right?

Three grinders. A Makita 4", a name-brand 4.5", and a cheap 4.5". Put the cutoff wheel on the other 4.5". Put the knotted wire wheel on the other grinder. Wait... We're out of grinders again.

Four grinders. A Makita 4", a name-brand 4.5", a cheap 4.5", and a 5"/6" Milwaukee or Makita. Flap, hard rock, cutoff, wire wheel. But you need two different grits of hard wheel, right?

Five grinders. A Makita 4", a name-brand 4.5", a cheap 4.5", a 5"/6" Milwaukee or Makita, and a 9" Makita because gently caress it why not. Flap, 2 hard rocks, cutoff, wire wheel. But you need to cut aluminum or stainless and those take different wheel construction.

Seven grinders. Plus one for lending out. Eight sounds right. But it's so close to ten. Ten grinders is more than enough. poo poo, I forgot about a diamond cup for grinding concrete or granite. Twelve grinders. Final answer.

Wait, cordless. Gotta get a couple of those. Fifteen grinders.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 28, 2022

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Tim Hunkin back with another series starting the end of the month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zba6hTdvJA8

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

FISHMANPET posted:

Get the best angle grinder you're willing to spend for. They're just such an insanely versatile tool. Even if you need a corded grinder later, a cordless one is very handy.

For wire brushes: DO NOT BUY HARBOR FREIGHT. They shed an ungodly amount of wires which is unsafe and they don't last. Yes, a good twisted wire brush can be $25. I know the DeWalt ones are good, I imagine other reputable brands are good too. Make sure to check max RPM ratings. Don't buy 8500rpm max wheels for an 11k rpm grinder.

An angle grinder spinning even a good wire brush is constantly shedding wires in every direction at high speeds. When you're done using one you will almost certainly need to pick some out of your belly. They will fly right through your shirt and pierce your skin, though they don't seem to draw blood.

Wear no-poo poo safety glasses or goggles and a face shield. And if you're grinding off piss-soaked questionable (leaded?) paint, you also need a respirator. Also they're loud enough you should wear ear plugs as well. If you have a firm price ceiling, spend the difference on good consumables and good PPE.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I upgraded my toolbox today and I can't tell you guys how excited I am for the upper storage area that has a built in power strip which will be perfect for putting all my batteries and chargers.

For the Menards house brand it's very well built and 11% off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Ooooooo. Ahhhhhh.

Nah, for reals I am jel af