Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Barudak posted:

Hitting i-level 300 in Stranger of Paradise is massively easier and takes way less time than this last achievement sitting here taunting me about hitting level 99 in a job.

I will have you, SoP. You will be made complete

Even that trophy is not that bad. Either play normally or do the greed mission over and over again on level300 for crystals. Every run gives you enough for three levels until lv 80 or so, and then it is 2 per level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pennfalath posted:

Even that trophy is not that bad. Either play normally or do the greed mission over and over again on level300 for crystals. Every run gives you enough for three levels until lv 80 or so, and then it is 2 per level

Yeah its less "this is hard" and more "this is boring, I've done the content already"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Heath posted:

Evidently SOP is among the lowest-selling opening week FF spinoff games ever in Japan. Guess they just don't lust for Chaos death over there :colbert:

Even for a property as big as FF, I think trying to release a third person action RPG within spitting distance of Elden Ring's launch week is gonna cut into your sales numbers.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Unironically would love Zenos as a dlc super boss

Also Caius.

I would pay so much money to see Jack and Zenos in a room together for 15 minutes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oh lmao of course

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dr Pepper posted:

I would pay so much money to see Jack and Zenos in a room together for 15 minutes.

Someone he could punch mid sentence but that just makes him monolouge harder.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Vermain posted:

Even for a property as big as FF, I think trying to release a third person action RPG within spitting distance of Elden Ring's launch week is gonna cut into your sales numbers.

Also square enix's sales expectations are like, the game sold a quadrillion copies in its first five minutes of release anything else it fell below expectations and was a failure

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What even was the point of that Huge Materia scavenger hunt except to kill time before the finale?
I have to imagine the original script had Bugenhagen consulting the large materia to find the Ancient key. Then they made it optional and now he coincidentally hears where to find the key from the Lifestream while standing next to the large materia after you pick the last one up because it's possible to lose them all.

The last act of 7 is comparatively the bad part. That key is a dumb trick that just shows a greatest hits video on a waterfall projector. Once you have Cloud back you're literally waiting for Hojo to connect the cannon to Midgar and blow a hole in the barrier.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
jack was braska's third guardian

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Final Fantasy Origins: Original Sin

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pennfalath posted:

you also need to do the unlocks to get a job to 99 but I suppose once you get a bunch of gear you can just find a job with a bunch at lower levels

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Barudak posted:

Yeah its less "this is hard" and more "this is boring, I've done the content already"

On that subject, is there actually any new content in chaos mode, or is it just more number to make go up? I played the game on easy because I'm bad at video games and I've done every main mission and side mission that the game made available to me; do I unlock any new missions or anything interesting by going into chaos mode, or is it just the same stuff but harder?

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I'd the FFV level in SoP exceptionally dark for anyone else

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ainsley McTree posted:

On that subject, is there actually any new content in chaos mode, or is it just more number to make go up? I played the game on easy because I'm bad at video games and I've done every main mission and side mission that the game made available to me; do I unlock any new missions or anything interesting by going into chaos mode, or is it just the same stuff but harder?

it's just number go up

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is SOP actually good keeping in mind

- I love action games like DMC
- I love FF
- I love stupid poo poo

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

On those merits SoP is Very Good.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

- I love FF
- I love stupid poo poo

Yeah you're in the target audience for sure. Obviously the thing it's most similar to is the nioh games. Relative to them it is pretty easy, short, simplified, with significantly worse graphics, but with FF fanservice and a more amusing story/characters (but still don't set your expectations too high). If that sounds harsh I don't mean it to, I found the core loop and feel of the game extremely fun

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

- I love FF
- I love stupid poo poo

This is your game my man

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SettingSun posted:

SoP dlc obviously should be visits to the various dimensions the levels are from, solving those games' plot wholesale with well placed punches to Exdeath/Kefka/Sephiroth/etc.

Kefka: I see a poser.
*Jack repeatedly punches Kefka in the face*
Jack: WHAT THE gently caress DID YOU SAY?!?!
Kefka: N-not you, I meant that guy over there *points at Squall Edgar*
Jack: ...oh, ok then.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

- I love FF
- I love stupid poo poo

im too busy with elden ring right now but SoP looks like it owns

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

- I love FF
- I love stupid poo poo

you're gonna loving love this game

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Evil Fluffy posted:

Kefka: I see a poser.
*Jack repeatedly punches Kefka in the face*
Jack: WHAT THE gently caress DID YOU SAY?!?!
Kefka: N-not you, I meant that guy over there *points at Squall Edgar*
Jack: ...oh, ok then.

Jack: you're through clowning around *knocks one of the Goddess statues over on top of Kefka, picks it up, and then drops it on him again*

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
What idiot thought a giant laser that can one shot you while you try to navigate a level was a good odea

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

aperfectcirclefan posted:

What idiot thought a giant laser that can one shot you while you try to navigate a level was a good odea

Here's a fun tip if this is the level I'm thinking of: Just run straight to the laser and punch it to death. No need to navigate around anything lmao. Related tip: you can do Mt. Gulg in 1/4 of the time if you just dive through the lava instead of going around and taking out the statues.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Have you tried punching the laser

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m extremely excited to eventually get this then. Unfortunately elden ring has taken over my life but I am looking forward to this

In my mind it is as cheesy in a good way as DMC3 but I hope I’m not setting myself up for disappointment

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

jokes posted:

Have you tried punching the laser

Basically if you're not thinking like Jack you're probably handicapping yourself

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Thank you for that tip. That was the second most frustrating thing in this game so far.

How much do I have left?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
When the laser shoots you mash the soul shield button

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Thank you for that tip. That was the second most frustrating thing in this game so far.

How much do I have left?

You’re 2/3 of the way through the game. The plot should start picking up soon

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I really like how all the weapon movesets convey such consistent personality despite playing so differently. Jack is an absolute brute whether he's using a giant axe, a magic wand mace, or a pair of dinky little knives.

It's also kind of striking how they leaned into him having an actual social disorder. Like, he's actually, genuinely uncomfortable with conversation, and keeps alternating between being incredibly rude to people and going 'poo poo, sorry, I wasn't trying to be hostile and I've got nothing against you, it's just a problem on my end'. It's like his whole 3edgy5u persona is basically a cage he's stuck in, and he and the rest of his friends and allies spend time sincerely trying to understand and work around it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I agree that it rules that Jack is a full-on brute. Just, like, violent as gently caress. I think the only time he smiles is when he throws that horse at the black knight or whatever lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jokes posted:

I agree that it rules that Jack is a full-on brute. Just, like, violent as gently caress. I think the only time he smiles is when he throws that horse at the black knight or whatever lol

But yeah, I think it particularly impressed me that they manage to maintain that basic personality even with his lightest weapons, which might feel a bit more refined and graceful in other action games. Like, seriously, his dagger moveset is savage as gently caress.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think it’s impressive and true to the original iteration of white mage that Jack casts healing and support magic or whatever, but also bashes the gently caress out of his enemies with a blunt weapon

Jack just leans more on the latter than the former

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Even when he's holding up the wand to cast he still looks like he's just summoning the magic out of his anger

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jokes posted:

I think it’s impressive and true to the original iteration of white mage that Jack casts healing and support magic or whatever, but also bashes the gently caress out of his enemies with a blunt weapon

Jack just leans more on the latter than the former

Honestly, White Mage in this game almost feels more like a paladin than the actual Paladin job does.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Yunalesca: There is no true way to defeat Sin, you are only giving the people of Spira hope

Jack: Bullshit *blasts Rammstein*

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, White Mage in this game almost feels more like a paladin than the actual Paladin job does.

Paladin/Knight is more of a sword fighter in early FFs than anything else anyways. Usually the best healing it can offer is the ability to heal between battles.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

jokes posted:

Is he as violent as Violence Jack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m extremely excited to eventually get this then. Unfortunately elden ring has taken over my life but I am looking forward to this

In my mind it is as cheesy in a good way as DMC3 but I hope I’m not setting myself up for disappointment

I took a break from Elden Ring to play this and feel like it was a good choice; the game's reasonably short, I beat it in 18 hours (again, on easy, doing all the side missions too, it'll be faster if you decide you don't care about those).

It's...a little less cheesy than I was expecting based on how social media was making fun of it, but it's also not not cheesy. Closer to DMC3 than DMC2, for sure, but not quite all the way there (with the caveat that the only thing I really remember about DMC3 is the opening cutscene)

IcePhoenix posted:

it's just number go up

phew, ty, i can skip it then