Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The game's charm comes from the fact that it plays itself completely straight. I was dying laughing when (late spoilers) Jack's friends sacrifice themselves and he just sadly holds out his fist for a bump that will never come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SettingSun posted:

The game's charm comes from the fact that it plays itself completely straight. I was dying laughing when (late spoilers) Jack's friends sacrifice themselves and he just sadly holds out his fist for a bump that will never come.

its sincerity is its greatest strength and it would be nowhere near as good if it was ironic or self-aware

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Honestly I think I'm a fan of the trend of square making shorter games that don't horribly overstay their welcome (triangle strategy and guardians of the galaxy come to mind). However if you can be patient that approach seems to lead to steep discounts pretty quickly

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its sincerity is its greatest strength and it would be nowhere near as good if it was ironic or self-aware

It's Dudes Rock Kingdom Hearts. It's so good.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

No Mods No Masters posted:

Honestly I think I'm a fan of the trend of square making shorter games that don't horribly overstay their welcome (triangle strategy and guardians of the galaxy come to mind). However if you can be patient that approach seems to lead to steep discounts pretty quickly

How long is triangle strategy? I'm of the opinion that any game longer than ff5 is probably overstaying its welcome so if it's in that ballpark I might have to set my eyes on that

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
30 to 40 hours so right in the ffv sweet spot

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bullshit has gone on for long, enough.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's Dudes Rock Kingdom Hearts. It's so good.

I lmaoed

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I know sage is the thread favorite but I've become very partial to what I would call the "warrior of the meth crystals" build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5bvQ8G3bnE

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

IcePhoenix posted:

you also need to do the unlocks to get a job to 99 but I suppose once you get a bunch of gear you can just find a job with a bunch at lower levels

Yeah, get your gear to 300 first. Then, play the first chaos shrine mission on the first chaos difficulty level to get a swordman's release, then see which chaos difficulty level gives you another one (I think the 2nd or 3rd one?). With level 300 gear, you will destroy this mission.
Then go to the FF9 memories of poison main mission, make sure to unlock the chaos difficulty (the 3rd or 4th one I think) for the 3rd swordman's release. Then swordman will have a max level of 99, and all that remains is the grind for exp or crystals.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nothing really hammers in the "mage but angry" than him winding up a flamestrike and doming a tonberry.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SettingSun posted:

Here's a fun tip if this is the level I'm thinking of: Just run straight to the laser and punch it to death. No need to navigate around anything lmao. Related tip: you can do Mt. Gulg in 1/4 of the time if you just dive through the lava instead of going around and taking out the statues.

:respek: I was disappointed when there wasn't a trophy for this.

pretty soft girl posted:

I know sage is the thread favorite but I've become very partial to what I would call the "warrior of the meth crystals" build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5bvQ8G3bnE

Does haste stack with the command skill Lunatic? Gotta attack even faster!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im gonna have to admit it, I like Stranger of Paradise more than I like Elden Ring

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Barudak posted:

Im gonna have to admit it, I like Stranger of Paradise more than I like Elden Ring

Hang in there, Chaos!

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Barudak posted:

I like Elden Ring quite a bit and I also agree.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

Heath posted:

Evidently SOP is among the lowest-selling opening week FF spinoff games ever in Japan. Guess they just don't lust for Chaos death over there :colbert:

Going back to this, this was Famitsu's listings of physical console sales, which of course doesn't take into account digital sales. So yeah, as a matter of course it's not going to outsell 4 Warriors of Light on the DS or whatever using those metrics. SoP topped that chart, outperforming Pokemon Legends and Elden Ring (for that week)

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:respek: I was disappointed when there wasn't a trophy for this.

Does haste stack with the command skill Lunatic? Gotta attack even faster!

It does, I popped it in the clip

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sesq posted:

Going back to this, this was Famitsu's listings of physical console sales, which of course doesn't take into account digital sales. So yeah, as a matter of course it's not going to outsell 4 Warriors of Light on the DS or whatever using those metrics. SoP topped that chart, outperforming Pokemon Legends and Elden Ring (for that week)

Japan, even as of like last year, was a majority physical market.

My coworkers were all asking how I got Elden Ring so fast since their orders were delayed a day or two and I was like "I bought it?" and that only made them more confused since I said I wasn't going to stores.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How do mastery points work in SOP? Are the effects global or local to the job you earn them on?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I spent the whole game convinced the generic up arrow ones were global because of how tiny the bonuses are but apparently they are infact locked to the job.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sponges posted:

It genuinely bums me out that one of the better FFs is a god drat MMO

Super late response but they're implementing a ton of changes to make the game solo-able if you want it to be in the upcoming spring. You're basically going to be able to bring NPCs with you to anything that used to take 4-8 players.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On a related note, does levelling any job past 30 have any global benefits?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nitramster posted:

Super late response but they're implementing a ton of changes to make the game solo-able if you want it to be in the upcoming spring. You're basically going to be able to bring NPCs with you to anything that used to take 4-8 players.

That said, the duty finder is honestly pretty prompt and reliable for most content in FFXIV (especially with the massive surge in the playerbase for Endwalker), so it's not usually an urgent requirement.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

No, just more stuff for that specific job.

If theres one thing I'd want for a SoP2 its those fiddly small up arrow buffs to be always on across classes

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chaos killed, that kicked a lot of rear end.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just heard the phrase "cousin of Chaos" lmao

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

You get the ability to have your chocobo fight alongside you when you first reach 30. As for alt jobs, nothing other than being able to do 30+ content with that job.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

In SoP switching shadow quality to low and resolution scaling to 80% greatly reduced slowdown in levels. No helping certain boss attacks and cutscenes though.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

gently caress tonberries

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

gently caress tonberries

Resonance and wind magic are your friends. Once you've learned how to counter Everybody's Grudge (hold your Soul Shield button until the first projectile hits, then mash frantically), they don't have that much that can hurt you unless you let them, and EG and Numb are great for refilling your MP so you can let rip with your own long/medium-ranged toolkit.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Senator Drinksalot posted:

You get the ability to have your chocobo fight alongside you when you first reach 30. As for alt jobs, nothing other than being able to do 30+ content with that job.

SoP has chocobos?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sometimes a tonberry will just whip around and one shot with chef’s knife and I get really mad. My least favorite mission in the whole game is the one to kill 5 of them in Delkfutt’s Tower. Double whammy of rage.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

SoP has chocobos?

Oh I thought that was about 14

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Sometimes a tonberry will just whip around and one shot with chef’s knife and I get really mad. My least favorite mission in the whole game is the one to kill 5 of them in Delkfutt’s Tower. Double whammy of rage.

Yeah, that's the reason why you only attack them with ranged attacks (or, in a pinch, with knockdown gap-closers like the Dragoon's Jump or the Duellist's Weak Point). The Paladin's Sentinel command ability gives you a nice little extra bit of insurance, too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Oh I thought that was about 14

Dude I got so excited :sigh:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

goferchan posted:

Dude I got so excited :sigh:

There shouldn’t be chocobos because the first chocobo is in FF2

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I've been playing through on hard and the one side mission to kill 3 master tonberries in the ff8 dungeon almost made me turn down the difficulty because they had so much hp and master's knife would one shot me 100% of the time unless I was playing as paladin and took the hit at max health.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess that's also why there aren't mooglez

Autocorrected to a z but I'll leave it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
In SoP I like that the FFXV level isn't just the tower, but briefly when you look out the window you see that the entire city of Insomnia has somehow bled through. Those Lufenians are real fuckers, huh!

Also lol that it took until the very end of the game for Jack to even consider how weird it is that he knows a bunch of things he has no memory of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Did 15 sell poorly or something? It never got any sequels and I hardly hear people talk about it