Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
This is a heartwarming article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

3 A.M. Radio posted:

I just wanted to tell you, I totally get this, and I'm sure a lot of people have that calming feeling while building sets. I'm 36, and when people give me a funny look when I mention my lifelong-and-still-growing collection, I just tell them I find it incredibly relaxing and therapeutic when I'm building sets. Time just seems to slip away and I stop worrying about everything else. Depression and anxiety take a timeout.

Not that it's any of their business, but that seems to make the most sense to people.

Thought I replied to the OP, but hell yeah to being middle aged with disposable income. I hang out with my wife in our family room; she works on her art on one side while I work on Lego on the other. I had a new director at work ask during a “getting to know you” conversation what technology did I like to work on at home. I told him “None” 8 hours working on IT is enough, down time is for something tactile not another screen.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Echoing the choir. I like LEGO not for MOCs but just to relax for a bit. It feels good to just turn off my reality and look at instructions and follow along and have something that I can say I built when it's done.

---

Also, LEGO customer service is almost always good. I was able to get a Taxi.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like I project onto people about my Lego hobby more than they actually care and over explain it . Ngl I am sort of embarrassed at times that I have a whole huge display of toys, but I like them.Whatever. I don't think anyone really gives a poo poo, or they think they are neat.

I've had some funny/surprised reactions from friends that I haven't seen in years because the me they knew a decade ago wouldn't have had toys all over the place.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

When in doubt, Lego set as a gift. All genders, all ages, even if they don't like Lego. 99% of the time they end up building it and are like, 'Hey that was really nice and relaxing, thank you'. You're welcome, friend. Welcome to the joy of touching brick.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I always have a smallish set on hand, unopened, ready to be taken out when I get overwhelmed with stress. I spent an hour or so building it and it helps me get a grip on things. Then I have an excuse to buy a new set.

Once or twice a year, after I've been really busy with work (after the winter holidays and summer vacation) I buy myself a big set that lasts me a couple of evenings, both as a reward and as a way to wind down.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Carbohydrates posted:

Hey I re-wrote the OP for the first time in 12 years. Have a glance and tell me what I missed or what I should add.
Looks good.

quote:

Q: Why do you keep calling it LEGO instead of legos?

A:
Did you mean to come back to this Q? or :thejoke:

Skios posted:

thanks for sharing. I also find lego to be really therapeutic.

deoju fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 26, 2022

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

HootTheOwl posted:

My dad would tell me this without a hint of irony as he ran five Lionel trains simultaneously in a layout that took up everywhre in the basement except the couch and TV I would play playstation on.

Playing with Lego trains is the best of both worlds. Also it's great that the boomers are going away. There were never video games before and there will always be video games after, so this is a one time shift where even if adults dont still play video games, they'll at least have grown up with them and understand the appeal. Speaking of video games, I played some more co-op Lego marvel 2 and had to give up. We played all of the Ninjago one a while back and I'm just sick of it. Combat sucks, camera sucks. This new one with a totally different style appeals to me.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Vintage Taxi is back as an order gift in the Lego shop, but only if you buy a modular, so if you've been waiting to buy the hotel and wanted that taxi, now's the time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I just think of Lego sets like model sets but I don’t have the right temperament for models and I don’t like to paint. So much better for me.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, LEGO customer service is almost always good. I was able to get a Taxi.

Yeah, their customer service kinda helped draw me in a bit more. I bought some Christmas gifts for various family members and they had a GWP for a Han Solo in Carbonite keychain. The gifts I bought met the dollar amount although they weren't Star Wars (I wasn't paying attention to that qualifier). When I noticed it was *missing* I called them up and they sent it to me anyway after explaining that it was supposed to be for Star Wars purchases.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

smackfu posted:

I just think of Lego sets like model sets but I don’t have the right temperament for models and I don’t like to paint. So much better for me.

Same. I did model sets as a kid but I'd always break them. Lego turns that into another play feature!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Skios posted:

"don’t speak negatively about anything but knock-off bricks."

lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That bit was pretty lol.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

deoju posted:

Did you mean to come back to this Q? or :thejoke:
Yeah I'm good with it the way it is there

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I appreciate the butthole at the end

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jangbricks adding those awful reaction thumbnails to his videos is so loving corny lol

I used to watch this guy because I thought he had good opinions of Legos, but nowadays I mostly find it fascinating to witness how YT has broken his brain and him bitching all of the time because he feels like he has to live by some stupid bushido code, all while trying to stay relevant as he is lapped by no effort teenagers who just take the free sets.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I agree with you, he always was quote positive and upbeat but he definitely seems like he has really got screwed up by Youtube. He split out all his channels and I just sort gave up watching anything he puts out because it all became quite depressing. The guy is clearly absolutely minted so I don't quite understand why he keeps going with Youtube. I think there's well over a 50 % chance that if you open any of his videos he is ranting about the price or value of Lego.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Yeah I've found Jang videos to be pretty unbearable lately. It feels like a ton of his time in reviews is spent anticipating and defending himself from criticism, which is really weird: telling people not to say X in the comments, or saying things are absolutely unacceptable and he won't be told differently, etc. It's a really weird vibe. He has also started making what feels like an awful lot of valueless points, especially when it comes to set pricing. His assessment of value is as arbitrary as ever, but he also draws comparisons to other toys and even similar products, like the cost of the LEGO globe vs the cost of a real globe. Like, who cares? The LEGO globe is not a substitute for a real globe, it's a LEGO model and a conversation and display piece. Similarly, I don't care if other, better R/C cars can be had cheaper than the LEGO one. The draw of the LEGO one is that it's LEGO and I can rebuild it to be as cool as I want or whatever.

It's just not a great time. Honestly, I can't think of a channel that really digs into what I would personally care about in a review, which is a finer dive into design decisions, build techniques, part usage, etc. in a set. New Elementary reviews come the closest, but I want someone to make the equivalent of a Kill Count video for LEGO sets or something. Throw in some commentary from designer videos, interviews, and such. Show the in-progress stuff as much as the final build. Things like that.

Also, when I updated the OP, I added a link to our Discord server, Something AFOL. It occurs to me that many of y'all may not know it exists, so I'll post it here again too. Feel free to pop on in! https://discord.gg/MRysheuRMN

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Yeah used to love Jangs videos. Blew my mind when I got back into R/C stuff and started watching tube stuff on them and found out before LEGO he did a shitload of those videos too. Was nice to see a familiar face talking about another subject that I loved.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I just tune out pricing discussion in (most) videos because unless they are in AUD it's very useless info for me. And it's annoying that I'm having to tune out more of Jang's stuff. I'm still find his takes more interesting / useful than most other reviewers but the videos themselves are getting more of a drag.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

To be honest, not sure why I bother watching any of the YouTube reviews. Feel like my Lego purchases are 90% based on aesthetics.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I still watch Jangs videos to see the sets from all angles but I usually shut it off now before his end of video discussion about price and final thoughts. I am one of those people though who does feel like some of sets are pricier then they need to be. I collect only Star Wars though so that may play a part in it. My daughter is big into Minecraft, the 3 in 1 sets and City and I think Minecraft and the 3 in 1 are pretty good values but I’ve been a tad disappointed with the pricing of the City builds but that’s probably caused by the road plates taking up a chunk of the cost and leaving less of the structures.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah I've found Jang videos to be pretty unbearable lately. It feels like a ton of his time in reviews is spent anticipating and defending himself from criticism, which is really weird: telling people not to say X in the comments, or saying things are absolutely unacceptable and he won't be told differently, etc. It's a really weird vibe. He has also started making what feels like an awful lot of valueless points, especially when it comes to set pricing. His assessment of value is as arbitrary as ever, but he also draws comparisons to other toys and even similar products, like the cost of the LEGO globe vs the cost of a real globe. Like, who cares? The LEGO globe is not a substitute for a real globe, it's a LEGO model and a conversation and display piece. Similarly, I don't care if other, better R/C cars can be had cheaper than the LEGO one. The draw of the LEGO one is that it's LEGO and I can rebuild it to be as cool as I want or whatever.

It's just not a great time. Honestly, I can't think of a channel that really digs into what I would personally care about in a review, which is a finer dive into design decisions, build techniques, part usage, etc. in a set. New Elementary reviews come the closest, but I want someone to make the equivalent of a Kill Count video for LEGO sets or something. Throw in some commentary from designer videos, interviews, and such. Show the in-progress stuff as much as the final build. Things like that.

Also, when I updated the OP, I added a link to our Discord server, Something AFOL. It occurs to me that many of y'all may not know it exists, so I'll post it here again too. Feel free to pop on in! https://discord.gg/MRysheuRMN

I think you nailed it. His videos used to be great because the production quality was high and he was (usually) positive and generally upbeat. Now they are (usually) delivered with this sort of bitterness that makes them a drag to watch, both aimed at his audience and also at the Lego company. I genuinely get the impression he doesn't actually want to be doing these videos, which as a viewer isn't really the vibe I'm looking to watch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

smackfu posted:

To be honest, not sure why I bother watching any of the YouTube reviews. Feel like my Lego purchases are 90% based on aesthetics.

I agree. If it has cool features, neat, but I buy lego sets only because they look cool.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I'm really into the build, too. I had zero plans to buy the Aston Martin set but after I saw a glimpse of how the Valkyrie goes together, I picked it up, and holy poo poo. What a build. In a recent interview with designer Chris Stamp, he said that Speed Champions is basically trying to deliver little slices of Creator Expert-level building, and god drat do the 2022 sets deliver.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Finally finished the Disney castle. It's rad. Not sure I can really display it where I was planning; think it's gonna stay in the centre of my dining table.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Carbohydrates posted:

I'm really into the build, too. I had zero plans to buy the Aston Martin set but after I saw a glimpse of how the Valkyrie goes together, I picked it up, and holy poo poo. What a build. In a recent interview with designer Chris Stamp, he said that Speed Champions is basically trying to deliver little slices of Creator Expert-level building, and god drat do the 2022 sets deliver.

Agreed, just put it together, and while I don't think the car looks great it really was a complete joy to build with crazy techniques.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Scipiotik posted:

Agreed, just put it together, and while I don't think the car looks great it really was a complete joy to build with crazy techniques.
I think the car looks good as long as you remember it's based on the prototype Valkyrie, not the production one (though it has the color scheme of the production one). Seen a lot of reviews complaining about proportions that miss this, which is fair, because how would you know unless you're super familiar with the car?

Edit: I mean, I guess it's a bit tall and obviously the wheels are too small (though using the black fenders was a really good trick to give that area more visual weight), but I'm still very pleased with it. It's my favorite of the wave, even over the Countach.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 27, 2022

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Does anyone know if there are any "real" or third-party transparent display stands for Lego? Something like a posing stand for an action figure/transformer, but ending in some kind of brick/plate?

I just build a bird that I designed and I really like it but it needs a flight stand.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What are examples of innovative / complicated techniques in all these adult builds? I've only built my 80s sets and helped my kid with his age 7 or younger sets so don't even know what is really out there

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Carbohydrates posted:

I think the car looks good as long as you remember it's based on the prototype Valkyrie, not the production one (though it has the color scheme of the production one). Seen a lot of reviews complaining about proportions that miss this, which is fair, because how would you know unless you're super familiar with the car?

Edit: I mean, I guess it's a bit tall and obviously the wheels are too small (though using the black fenders was a really good trick to give that area more visual weight), but I'm still very pleased with it. It's my favorite of the wave, even over the Countach.

I think my fav is the Ferrari, I wasn't expecting to love it, but it looks great and was a good build. Countach is just my fav car growing up. But the Valkyrie was the best build.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

mastershakeman posted:

What are examples of innovative / complicated techniques in all these adult builds? I've only built my 80s sets and helped my kid with his age 7 or younger sets so don't even know what is really out there

The example I always go to is the bonnet vents on the Creator F40. Studs in every direction, all hidden by the end of the sub-assembly, and held in place seamlessly with clips. It's just remarkable.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I mean, I don't even do the 18+ sets, just friends and 3-in-1 stuff with my kiddo, and even stuff for the little guys is way more sophisticated in the way it's built than the stuff I played with in the early 90's is. A lot more studs on sides, a lot more builds that take advantage of lego's ability to look textured and layered. Like, if I had seen some of these sets when I was 8 I would have crapped myself. Even the simple little $10 City cars are like leagues ahead of old octane stuff. It's just a totally different league now.

E: Oh and building interiors that are really dense and super well thought out. poo poo like our little friends builds having a little sink and meal prep area in the back of the RV taking up like a 6x3 area. It's elegant and it's cool as f. Not much like that back in the day.

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 27, 2022

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

mastershakeman posted:

If you didn't already know, Lego has instructions for all newer sets available if you want to page through some of the sets mentioned. I just built the new Speed Champions Lamborghini Countach and really enjoyed how the angles came together, especially the rear end.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/buildinginstructions/76908

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

mastershakeman posted:

Here, have a peek! The instructions for all modern LEGO sets are freely available, so here's the Valkyrie we're discussing. Build spoilers ahead, if that's a thing for you.

https://www.lego.com/cdn/product-assets/product.bi.core.pdf/6409874.pdf

In this build, 1/2 stud offsetting is achieved in a few different ways. Here, early on, it's done with jumper plates as well as Technic connections:

Here, Technic is used again, but also click hinges. The hinge isn't used for any articulation at all, just for the 1/2 stud offset.

The 2 x 6 Technic brick with axle holes (the wheel axle holder, basically) is used as the floor of the chassis because of its slim profile. It's also used this way in this year's Mercedes F1 car.

These headlight bricks are placed sideways on their backs so that the stud connection is oriented to the bottom of the piece, allowing the seat backs to line up properly:

Some cool non-System part usage as this Technic rotor blade forms the rear fin on the cabin.

The rear of the cabin is built with this 1 x 3 arch, the curvature of which perfectly matches the profile of those Technic pieces:

This one is genius. The 2 x 2 hinge brick top is used as a very thin gap filler to maintain the black lower trim band. A bracket piece couldn't be used here because it would collide with the Technic axle joiners, but the hinge connection of this piece just barely clears it. loving superb.

Brackets on top of brackets, studs going in 3 directions, to strengthen this trim / side:

More great part usage: the classic car doors from the 70s used as splitters here.

The way this bit curves around the bodywork and stays in place. The front part is pinned between those tiles and the 1 x 2 rounded plate, while the rear angle is set by a 1/4 plate gap between the hinge plate and the black 45 degree slope on the side of the cockpit rear. I call this "indexing" and LEGO is very good at it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Does anyone know if there are any "real" or third-party transparent display stands for Lego? Something like a posing stand for an action figure/transformer, but ending in some kind of brick/plate?

I just build a bird that I designed and I really like it but it needs a flight stand.

hokey as all hell, but available. thinking a pepper's ghost thing would be good if you want it to look like it's flying

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

This part of Titanic at the fore end of the Boat Deck jumped out at me as particularly impressive:

You build the railing first, and it's this complicated mix of SNOT and pegs and clips, and given all the different distances and angles pieces were meeting at I was sure it would leave unsightly gaps somewhere. Then you start adding the deck, and the wedge plate just fits perfectly in there, without the slightest space in between.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

mastershakeman posted:

So the Lantern Festival is pretty cool.

The park is raised up above the baseplate which allows the pond to be below the "ground level". The pond itself is formed by a base layer with transparent tiles over the top, which gives a sense of depth (the large Ninjago sets use this technique too, with additional colour gradations to show a changing depth).

The bridge uses a 3-4-5 Pythagorean triangle to allow it to be built on-stud while being at an angle. This is the easiest Pythagorean triple to use, although 5-12-13 is also useful. The basic concept is really simple and doesn't rely on any unusual pieces; you could do it with a box of bricks from the 80s if you wanted.

The really impressive bit is the hexagonal pavilion on top of the (octagonal) rock outcropping Just look at this:

It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Literally A Person posted:

I mean, I don't even do the 18+ sets, just friends and 3-in-1 stuff with my kiddo, and even stuff for the little guys is way more sophisticated in the way it's built than the stuff I played with in the early 90's is. A lot more studs on sides, a lot more builds that take advantage of lego's ability to look textured and layered. Like, if I had seen some of these sets when I was 8 I would have crapped myself. Even the simple little $10 City cars are like leagues ahead of old octane stuff. It's just a totally different league now.

E: Oh and building interiors that are really dense and super well thought out. poo poo like our little friends builds having a little sink and meal prep area in the back of the RV taking up like a 6x3 area. It's elegant and it's cool as f. Not much like that back in the day.

The distinction between kids sets and 18+ is marketing and often size/value. The instructions are all the same quality or at least should be. The only thing making the $800 millenium Falcon a harder build than some $15 Friends set is that you need a 35 hour attention span to get through it.