Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Yeah but all of Eastern Europe did some form of shock therapy and while lots of them created problematic oligarchies only Russia and its remaining client states decided to rapidly reconsolidate the state monopolies under oligarch control and give up on actual market liberalisation entirely.

I don't think it's fair to say that "Russia and its remaining client states" made any such decisions. I think it would be much more accurate to say, "Russia's oligarchs decided to rapidly reconsolidate the state monopolies under their control, and Yeltsin et al. were powerless to stop it, for fear of losing IMF loans and Western support."

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah, absolutely. And I said as much in my post responding to that. Nearly every nation is trying to screw the other over in some way for their benefit. But I feel like blaming the West for Russia's aggression or territorial decisions post 90's is putting blame on NATO that doesn't jive to me. These are fundamentally choices that people in power of Russia have made, that led to this moment.

No one here, at least as far as I can see, is denying that Putin has set Russia's course for the past couple of decades, including its increasingly aggressively irredentist foreign policy. But the post I was responding to claimed, "Russia choosing to transform into an authoritarian kleptocracy with imperial delusions was fundamentally a choice." I think that's a serious oversimplification.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/ignis_fatum/status/1508088846218674184

apparently the MP is talking about Shoguis(MOD rear end in a top hat who may be out nows) plans. so yeah going for all the greatest hits.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Majorian posted:

I don't think it's fair to say that "Russia and its remaining client states" made any such decisions. I think it would be much more accurate to say, "Russia's oligarchs decided to rapidly reconsolidate the state monopolies under their control, and Yeltsin et al. were powerless to stop it, for fear of losing IMF loans and Western support."

Yeltsin supported, helped with, and benefited from the reconsolidating of the state monopolies under Oligarchic control.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Yeah but all of Eastern Europe did some form of shock therapy and while lots of them created problematic oligarchies only Russia and its remaining client states decided to rapidly reconsolidate the state monopolies under oligarch control and give up on actual market liberalisation entirely.

Also Belarus didn't do shock therapy and it's not like they became a beacon of democracy.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Yudo posted:

Where do you think those oligarchs came from?
When the communist state collapsed, Russia began privatizing its industries and a few guys managed to take control over the energy sector. America didn't install them.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Yudo posted:

Where do you think those oligarchs came from?

Local government, state-owned factory, and organized crime elites, IIRC.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Nelson Mandingo posted:

In another timeline, there is no need for NATO after the 90's.

Which is why the entire world had to impose drat near nation-killing sanctions on Russia for proving a generation later that the prosperous nations of Europe needed to stockpile Russian-killers for the sake of defense.

Authoritarian dictators keep betting and winning until their luck runs out and the body count is in the five to seven figures. Putin is a perfect example of this.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

marxismftw posted:

Yeltsin supported, helped with, and benefited from the reconsolidating of the state monopolies under Oligarchic control.

He did indeed; my point is, even if he didn't want the state monopolies to fall under oligarchic control, the choice had pretty much already been made by the oligarchs anyway.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I read some books about Putins Russia and from what I understand. Putin created the Oligarchs as we know them today by distributing publicly owner resources for them to exploit in exchange for their support.

They gain wealth and power, but their ownership of those resources is only legitimized through Putins government. And so they have to use that wealth to support his rule. Or risk a future government taking back those resources.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Majorian posted:

He did indeed; my point is, even if he didn't want the state monopolies to fall under oligarchic control, the choice had pretty much already been made by the oligarchs anyway.
So if I'm reading you right, Yeltsin was in a situation where he would have had to, probably literally, fight the oligarchs and quite likely lose at that point?

poo poo would have been way easier if the Soviet Union had just cleaned up their act like China, huh.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

mmkay posted:

Eastern Military District's main base of operations is near Manchuria, Western one seems to at least be primary working in their nominal area.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_districts_of_Russia

Oh I see.

Well, that should squash the idea of the miracle battalion of tanks waiting in the wings I suppose, if they were sent in from that far out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

E Depois do Adeus posted:

- unless things are under wraps at an unprecedented level, I would expect to see the results of espionage operations in cities such as Paris and Vienna.

- similarly, has there been a good explanation for why a member of the Ukrainian negotiating team was killed in a targeted operation by the Ukrainian security apparatus?

1) https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1508044270694973441

2) Ukrainian government later said he was a Ukrainian CIA employee who died “in line of duty”.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nessus posted:

So if I'm reading you right, Yeltsin was in a situation where he would have had to, probably literally, fight the oligarchs and quite likely lose at that point?

poo poo would have been way easier if the Soviet Union had just cleaned up their act like China, huh.

Yeah probably, although the USSR wasn't in much of a position to do that by the late 80s anyway. But it would be fun to see a historical timeline in which Gorbachev had some proto-Xi Jinping thought embedded in his policies.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

PederP posted:

I think you incorrectly identify 'the West' in this. I have seen some claim that the West is enabling Ukrainian resistance (through weapons, intel and sanctions) and that the West is therefore able to decide when this war ends, either by ending support or by pressuring the Ukrainian government into accepting a particular peace accord. I am not sure if it is a similar position you are intimating here - but there is at least part of a such framing in how you phrase this point.

I disagree greatly with the notion that the West has this kind of relationship with Ukraine. There is a lot of support from EU and NATO countries towards Ukraine - no doubt about it. I am not too fond of framing all these countries as a single bloc in such a manner. It harkens back to the cold war and a world order which simply doesn't exist anymore. The EU, Turkey, UK, US, Commonwealth, etc. have a much more complicated relationship and it is wrong to assume that the US is controlling the other countries and how they act in this war.

You make some excellent points in this post. Just to clarify though:

Would it be wrong to say then that the bulk of the sanctions are U.S. led? The threat of secondary sanctions is also a factor. Even if you don't like the term "economic warfare" I think the U.S. is the leader on actions that have damaged the Russian economy?

My point is not so much that the "west" can decide whether or not this war ends, but it may exert influence on when the war ends if there is a possibility of a treaty or an armistice, because the US (a non-belligerent) has leverage over the aggressor, in a scape that is caused by, but only weakly influenced by, the kinetic war.

PederP posted:

European countries would continue to assist Ukraine even if the US dials down help. Public opinion in many European countries is so overwhelmingly pro-Ukraine that this is not just some old-school proxy war to be ended at a peace accord by Russia and the US, when circumstances evolve to a point where this is acceptable and/or unavoidable for both parties.

This war ends when Ukraine is unable to defend itself or when Russia withdraws.

Is a treaty/accord/ territorial concession out of the question then? Seems to me that Ukraine was already unable to defend itself in the separatist territories and I can't see that front working out better for them against Russian regulars, especially not if the Ukrainians are on the offensive.

I am not trying to argue that the U.S. and E.U. are currently extending this war unless you count giving a democracy tools with which to resist a fascist war of aggression. My point is that these parties are significantly damaging one of the belligerent parties and it is likely that Russia will consider reversing this damage as part of a hypothetical peace agreement; I may be wrong but I don't think the Ukrainian government has much influence on that decision.

PederP posted:

Russia is incapable of occupying Ukraine even in the absence of this assistance.

All of Ukraine, yes, thankfully. Their plan C of taking territory in the east and south has not yet been defeated as far as I can tell.

PederP posted:

To summarize: Russia is not a great power and framing this war in cold war terms does not represent reality. There is no quick end to the war unless Russia withdraws. The US and Europe are not extending this war. There consequences of the war are terrible - but this is purely a war of aggression, and the only way this ends is through Russian withdrawal or Russian defeat. Thus, any support given to Ukraine is effectively acting to shorten the war by accelerating the defeat or withdrawal of Russia.

The only reason this war was able to cause such mass suffering is because Russia is a nuclear power and thus able to effectively blackmail the rest of the world into letting it commit war crimes en masse. If not for the nuclear deterrent, a coalition of European nations could have intervened and prevented the humanitarian disaster on the ground.

So focusing on the US is wrong - the US is a peripheral player in this war. Russia is the culprit. Europe has failed Ukraine - but can be somewhat excused due to the nuclear threats made by Russia. Threat which constitute a historic crime against humanity - wielding nuclear deterrence, not just as a shield against an existential threat, but as something giving Russia the right to wage a war of aggression without risk of intervention? This is something which must not be allowed to stand. Otherwise we will see a new nuclear arms race.

All good points, especially the role of Europe, but again, this highlights the desire to punish Russia for launching a war of aggression. It may get in the way of a hypothetical RU-UA treaty if Russia considers removal of sanctions as a prerequisite and Ukrainian decision makers find themselves with little influence on that decision. That said, this is hypothetical, not tied to military aid, and you seem to think that the war will end clearly on the battlefield, so it doesn't contradict what you said.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Kurzon posted:

When the communist state collapsed, Russia began privatizing its industries and a few guys managed to take control over the energy sector. America didn't install them.

America's Harvard Boys, US political interference and the IMF directly shaped what the post soviet economy became. Additionally, the US may not have installed individual oligarchs, but the guy they propped up (Yeltsin) sure as poo poo did.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Kurzon posted:

* The economic sanctions against Russia has reminded everyone of just how powerful the US economy and the US dollar are. There is simply no competition. If you piss off the Americans, they can beat you down without even firing a shot.

Ah, the Ankh-Morporkian approach to military might.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Would it be wrong to say then that the bulk of the sanctions are U.S. led? The threat of secondary sanctions is also a factor. Even if you don't like the term "economic warfare" I think the U.S. is the leader on actions that have damaged the Russian economy?

Absolutely. At the start of the war, Europe responded more quickly, more decisively, and with a broader array of sanctions than the U.S. did.

https://graphics.reuters.com/UKRAINE-CRISIS/SANCTIONS/byvrjenzmve/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mystic Mongol posted:

Absolutely. At the start of the war, Europe responded more quickly, more decisively, and with a broader array of sanctions than the U.S. did.
Yeah and while the US can claim they banned import of russian oil, well, it's pretty much a joke, since it was a completely negligible amount. The EU can't do that without completely cratering our own countries. American trade with russia is relatively small too, so EU action is more impactful on that front as well.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Majorian posted:

Ok sure, and then he elevated Putin in order to protect his own involvement. A canoe floats down a river, but it can also be paddled and steered.

I guess personally, I have a hard time understanding the perspective that the West should have supported and assisted in helping Russia regain their Empire. I don't understand it either by a moral or geo-political perspective. I don't get how you expect to sell that position to the voters of Western democracies, or how Russia being part of NATO would have prevented, rather than encourage, their military adventurism.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I was worried racism and fygm would make European support for Ukraine tepid and half-assed, particularly regarding refugees. To the extent that it's actually been surprisingly eager, at least as of yet, I'm actually pretty fine with that. That is, Ukraine, and Ukrainians, receiving help does not make me angry

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It feels weird not having to worry about the course of the war (mostly escalations) for once.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

marxismftw posted:

Ok sure, and then he elevated Putin in order to protect his own involvement. A canoe floats down a river, but it can also be paddled and steered.

I guess personally, I have a hard time understanding the perspective that the West should have supported and assisted in helping Russia regain their Empire. I don't understand it either by a moral or geo-political perspective. I don't get how you expect to sell that position to the voters of Western democracies, or how Russia being part of NATO would have prevented, rather than encourage, their military adventurism.

Who's saying the West should have helped Russia "regain their Empire"?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Majorian posted:

No one here, at least as far as I can see, is denying that Putin has set Russia's course for the past couple of decades, including its increasingly aggressively irredentist foreign policy. But the post I was responding to claimed, "Russia choosing to transform into an authoritarian kleptocracy with imperial delusions was fundamentally a choice." I think that's a serious oversimplification.

I don't think it matters at this point if NATO/US were involved because Putin is not acting out some long planned vengeance over it: This is entirely about his delusions around rebuilding the Russian empire. I don't see how, at this point with what we know, we can even entertain that any of this is even remotely the Wests fault. Putin is entirely at fault for this war and dressing it up as a concern around western expansion. Putin continued and encouraged the Oligarchy and client state ideal that a lot of ex-Warsaw Pact wanted to avoid, its not like being economically or defensively aligned with Russia looked great to most of them because Russia was its own sort of corruption that wasn't attractive to nations looking to modernize. They'd end up like Belarus, basically a satellite state with a hand picked puppet at the helm. Its part of why the Maiden revolution happened at all: The vast majority of Central and Western Ukrainians didn't want to be more closely aligned with Russia.

Any idea that Warsaw Pact nations found the EU/NATO more attractive than the same old under Putin is practically entirely Putin's fault. Imagine if Putin had actually cleaned up the Oligarchy and corruption, maybe some of those Warsaw Pact nations might've found it attractive to align with Russia instead.

And even now: Its old history. Putin's goals are dead. He's achieved the opposite of everything he'd hoped for: Ukraine is ever more belligerent, will not be demilitarizing, will likely fully align with the EU, and will likely remain fiercely independent of Russian economic alignment

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Majorian posted:

Yeah probably, although the USSR wasn't in much of a position to do that by the late 80s anyway. But it would be fun to see a historical timeline in which Gorbachev had some proto-Xi Jinping thought embedded in his policies.

Ukraines been through enough genocide thanks

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Majorian posted:

Who's saying the West should have helped Russia "regain their Empire"?

That's been the principle aim of Russian foreign policy for 30 years. If Russia is in NATO, do they not go into Chechnya or Georgia? Or to put it more bluntly, does NATO membership restrain their actions or led a venire of credibility to them?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

marxismftw posted:

That's been the principle aim of Russian foreign policy for 30 years. If Russia is in NATO, do they not go into Chechnya or Georgia? Or to put it more bluntly, does NATO membership restrain their actions or led a venire of credibility to them?

If Russia had wanted to keep its empire in the early-to-mid 1990s, I'm not sure they'd have allowed the USSR to dissolve.

And as we've seen plenty of times with US activities, NATO would not restrain Russia from anything it wanted to do, even if Russia had been in NATO, so long as Russia poo poo out the appropriate cover story.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Majorian posted:

It's not. I didn't argue anything of the sort. I argued that the road Russia has gone down wasn't entirely its own choice, not that the West 100% made it for them.

The reason why 10 people invariably jump to your throat every time you post about this, which is almost the only topic you post about here, is that you never clarify why is it crucial to take a stop during the current events and recognise that the West has non-negative responsibility for… some characteristics of current day Russia? It therefore simply ends with some people perceiving you as the “but the West” crypto-apologist.

Concerned Citizen posted:

in the 90s? do you mean the chechen war? because that is substantially more complicated than just russia invading its neighbor. it was certainly a bad idea and the russian army was in absolutely no shape to actually carry out such a war, but it was nothing like the invasion of ukraine.

Their point is that it was qualifying for an obstruction towards “liberal ascension”.

Kurzon posted:

Has anyone heard of Peter Zeihan?

Here are the bullet points:

* Russia is trying to plug the Bessarabian Gap, which is an area east of the Carpathian mountains, about where Moldova is located, through which invading armies have historically come through. If Russia takes Moldova, it will eventually want to take Poland too. Pretty much rebuild the Soviet Union, not so much for communism but for geopolitical security.

Mr. Zeihan may need a history lesson or five.

Deteriorata posted:

The odds are about 90% that the Ukrainian people would reject any referendum conceding land to Russia. Do they then restart the war? No one is going to agree to terms like that.

I don't see how this works. It seems like empty words, a way of sounding like he's being reasonable without it actually meaning anything.

It’s all he can do, constitutionally.

Nail Rat posted:

Wait how is the Western MD Grouping the one in the east and the Eastern MD Grouping the one in the west. Did Russia really gently caress everything up that bad

"Who wrote these loving directions???"

Western MD is the most populous, and so you see their troops in every single open front.

FishMcCool posted:

Yes, terms like that might be incredibly divisive. I get that they have to look for a solution, but a Ukrainian civil war based on terms too unpalatable for too many would only play into Russia's hands.

I'm not even sure how you organise a vote with the current conditions, and I can't imagine Putin gracefully ceasing all hostilities to let them set it up peacefully.

He said in the same interview that it will take a year minimum to organise a referendum, due to refugee logistics not in the least, and that Russian troops must be gone from the country before they start preparations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apparently the MP is talking about Shoguis(MOD rear end in a top hat who may be out nows) plans. so yeah going for all the greatest hits.

He’s alive and kicking, we have 3 days old footage, and 2 days old Azerbaijani account of talking to him about Nagorno-Karabakh.

Feliday Melody posted:

I read some books about Putins Russia and from what I understand. Putin created the Oligarchs as we know them today by distributing publicly owner resources for them to exploit in exchange for their support.

They gain wealth and power, but their ownership of those resources is only legitimized through Putins government. And so they have to use that wealth to support his rule. Or risk a future government taking back those resources.

It’s a bit more involved. He bought or got rid of the 90s oligarchs, which were actual free range capitalists. The current crop is entirely his, correct.

Would it be wrong to say then that the bulk of the sanctions are U.S. led?

Yes, it’s EU mauling them. Sanctions on dollar are huge, don’t get me wrong, but US is not the leader here, because their economy is much less integrated with Russia’s

Seems to me that Ukraine was already unable to defend itself in the separatist territories and I can't see that front working out better for them against Russian regulars, especially not if the Ukrainians are on the offensive.

Those were Russian regulars back then already. Ukraine’s garbage-tier 5000 people army of 2014 was mopping the floor with the bandits, and it took an naked Russia intervention to establish frontline on the border of their proxies.

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Majorian posted:

I don't think history shows that the Russian people willingly chose shock therapy, tanking their own standard of living and allowing robber barons to buy up formerly-government-held services and industries. What it does show is that many of the old Warsaw Pact and former Soviet nations were given chances to integrate into the Western liberal order. Russia was not given nearly as many chances to do so. Do you honestly think they wouldn't have joined the EU in the 90s if it were actually on the table?

Joining the EU would have theoretically given the Poles an effective veto over Russian state action, and you know that would be intolerable to every stripe of Muscovite government. Russia decided it’d rather be a Great State with the concomitant right to imperial ambitions as a mutually exclusive alternative to subordinating its sovereignty to the EU.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Mystic Mongol posted:

https://graphics.reuters.com/UKRAINE-CRISIS/SANCTIONS/byvrjenzmve/

Thank you. I have clearly been wrong about the role of the U.S. in this matter. The SWIFT ban influenced my perception of who was doing what.

Not to be too flippant or delve into Clancychat but the Kremlin's patronage network seems to have taken a severe hit. Azerbaijan is testing the waters. Anatoly Chubais has allegedly fled to Turkey. The positions of certain oligarchs are suddenly unsteady. So where are the bodies?

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Those were Russian regulars back then already. Ukraine’s garbage-tier 5000 people army of 2014 was mopping the floor with the bandits, and it took an naked Russia intervention to establish frontline on the border of their proxies.

I mean this kicked off in part because that intervention still couldn't prop up the massive fail that is the puppet micro-states.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

SourKraut posted:

If Russia had wanted to keep its empire in the early-to-mid 1990s, I'm not sure they'd have allowed the USSR to dissolve.

And as we've seen plenty of times with US activities, NATO would not restrain Russia from anything it wanted to do, even if Russia had been in NATO, so long as Russia poo poo out the appropriate cover story.

The Russian leadership of the 90s were not same people as the leadership of the Soviet Union in the late 1980s.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It's easy to believe that bad things happen because people made bad choices, but there's the structural economic factors to consider aswell. While Russia still had a huge extractive economy to profit off, the ruling class of Russia - whoever they ended up being - had an incentive to become an autocratic state. You don't need popular participation or a well-educated workforce to run a oil industry after all - you need a small handful of foreign experts and enough physical security the pipelines stay safe, and the rest of the country can go to rot . Regardless of what the US does or doesn't do in the 90s, this remains true, and becomes a major counterweight to actually making Russia a democratic country tied into the EU like much of the rest of the soviet block. See how the formally world-class russian educational system and scientific expertise has been run into the ground for the last 30 years - they aren't needed for you to profit, and might cause problems otherwise when they point out you're looting the country blind.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Feliday Melody posted:

Has Putin (or the oligarchs themselves) been visibly grooming someone to succeed him and keep the arrangements going once the inevitable happens (he gets forced out and/or dies in office)?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Regalingualius posted:

Has Putin (or the oligarchs themselves) been visibly grooming someone to succeed him and keep the arrangements going once the inevitable happens (he gets forced out and/or dies in office)?

Nope! It's gonna be a cool zone experience!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Not to be too flippant or delve into Clancychat but the Kremlin's patronage network seems to have taken a severe hit. Azerbaijan is testing the waters. Anatoly Chubais has allegedly fled to Turkey. The positions of certain oligarchs are suddenly unsteady. So where are the bodies?

I think it's ultimately quite Clancy to expect their spy network to go on a murder spree. Against whom, and how would that help them now or in the future?

Regalingualius posted:

No. Medvedev was a failed attempt.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ISW's assessment for today:

quote:

Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment, March 27

Mason Clark

March 27, 4:30 pm ET

Russian forces have not abandoned efforts to reconstitute forces northwest of Kyiv to resume major offensive operations, and the commander of Russia’s Eastern Military District (EMD) may be personally commanding the operations. The Ukrainian General Staff reported that Russia’s 35th Combined Arms Army is rotating damaged units into Belarus and that Russian forces established a command post for all EMD forces operating around Kyiv in the Chernobyl area. Ongoing Russian efforts to replace combat losses in EMD units and deploy additional reinforcements forward are unlikely to enable Russia to successfully resume major operations around Kyiv in the near future. The increasingly static nature of the fighting around Kyiv reflects the incapacity of Russian forces rather than any shift in Russian objectives or efforts at this time.

Ukrainian forces continued to conduct limited counterattacks in several locations, recapturing territory east of Kyiv, in Sumy Oblast, and around Kharkiv in the past 24 hours. Ukrainian counterattacks are likely enabling Ukrainian forces to recapture key terrain and disrupt Russian efforts to resume major offensive operations. Likely escalating Russian partisan operations around Kherson are additionally tying down Russian forces. Russian forces continue to make slow but steady progress in Mariupol, but Russian assaults largely failed elsewhere in the past 24 hours.

Key Takeaways

Russian Eastern Military District (EMD) Commander Colonel-General Alexander Chayko may be personally commanding efforts to regroup Russian forces in Belarus and resume operations to encircle Kyiv from the west. The Kremlin is highly unlikely to have abandoned its efforts to encircle Kyiv but will likely be unable to cohere the combat power necessary to resume major offensive operations in the near future.
Neither Russian nor Ukrainian forces conducted major operations northwest of Kyiv in the last 24 hours.
Ukrainian forces counterattacking east of Brovary since March 24 successfully retook territory late on March 26.
Ukrainian forces conducted limited counterattacks in Sumy Oblast on March 26-27.
Fighting continued around Izyum in the past 24 hours, with little territory changing hands.
Russian forces continued steady advances in Mariupol.
Ukrainian partisans around Kherson continue to tie down Rosgvardia units in the region, likely hindering Russian capabilities to resume offensive operations in the southern direction.

Most of the maps I'm following are showing the Russian presence completely evaporating in the Sumy - Kharkiv area, like this one.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Regalingualius posted:

I actually asked about this shortly before the invasion kicked off and I think the consensus at the time was that he'd keep any potential ideas for a successor very close to his chest to avoid any potential incentive for the heir apparent to stage a coup. Obviously this was before certain... issues with the competency of Russia's leadership became much more apparent so I'm not sure what the answer would be now.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 27, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think it matters at this point if NATO/US were involved because Putin is not acting out some long planned vengeance over it: This is entirely about his delusions around rebuilding the Russian empire. I don't see how, at this point with what we know, we can even entertain that any of this is even remotely the Wests fault. Putin is entirely at fault for this war and dressing it up as a concern around western expansion. Putin continued and encouraged the Oligarchy and client state ideal that a lot of ex-Warsaw Pact wanted to avoid, its not like being economically or defensively aligned with Russia looked great to most of them because Russia was its own sort of corruption that wasn't attractive to nations looking to modernize. They'd end up like Belarus, basically a satellite state with a hand picked puppet at the helm. Its part of why the Maiden revolution happened at all: The vast majority of Central and Western Ukrainians didn't want to be more closely aligned with Russia.

Any idea that Warsaw Pact nations found the EU/NATO more attractive than the same old under Putin is practically entirely Putin's fault. Imagine if Putin had actually cleaned up the Oligarchy and corruption, maybe some of those Warsaw Pact nations might've found it attractive to align with Russia instead.

And even now: Its old history. Putin's goals are dead. He's achieved the opposite of everything he'd hoped for: Ukraine is ever more belligerent, will not be demilitarizing, will likely fully align with the EU, and will likely remain fiercely independent of Russian economic alignment

It’s kind of amazing most fan scenario briefings for Harpoon, Steel Panthers II, or Command Modern Operations, are far far more thought out and we’ll planned then Russia actually did.

I was joking in the GBS thread about how if this was a computer game people would lose their poo poo at the performance of Russia’s AI. Someone actually typed out some hilarious patch notes for Russia.

quote:

Patch Notes for Russia-Ukraine War Scenario:

* Fixed missing secondary systems on Russian tank models.
* Rebalanced mud terrain.
* Rebalanced Ukrainian fighter jets to stop them racking up Ace-status numbers of kills.
* Ukrainian fighter jets no longer all default to "Ghost" callsign instead of drawing from the random pool.
* Fixed Russian infantry morale rapidly depleting within two days.
* Removed towing hoist compatibility between Tractors and Military Vehicles. This was unintended behaviour, Tractors are only supposed to be able to tow farming equipment.
* Fixed Russian vehicle AI pathfinding to not get lost so easily.
* Fixed President Zelensky NPC having the Invincible Flag, making it impossible for Russian side to win.
* Fixed Ukrainian army starting with Veteran status on all units while Russian army starts with 0xp.
* Fixed Russian Artillery so it will move on to new targets and not just lock onto a civilian city and shell it constantly.
* Fixed Russian infantry AI ignoring vehicle units in proximity instead of supporting them and vice-versa.
* Fixed Russian supply assets being completely missing.
* Fixed broken route north of Kyiv - No more "40 Mile Convoys" getting stuck pathing to a missing node!
* Increased Russian Command Officer stats to stop them dying so easily.
3/12/22, 12:17 PM
Neddy Seagoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The reason why 10 people invariably jump to your throat every time you post about this, which is almost the only topic you post about here, is that you never clarify why is it crucial to take a stop during the current events and recognise that the West has non-negative responsibility for… some characteristics of current day Russia? It therefore simply ends with some people perceiving you as the “but the West” crypto-apologist.

The post I was initially responding to said the following:

quote:

Russia choosing to transform into an authoritarian kleptocracy with imperial delusions was fundamentally a choice.

That is why we are having this discussion. I did not bring this up out of nowhere.

waydownLo posted:

Joining the EU would have theoretically given the Poles an effective veto over Russian state action, and you know that would be intolerable to every stripe of Muscovite government. Russia decided it’d rather be a Great State with the concomitant right to imperial ambitions as a mutually exclusive alternative to subordinating its sovereignty to the EU.

I don't think the actual record suggests that this is how Russia viewed itself as a state in the 90s. I've already given an example of Yeltsin expressing his belief that Russia joining the EU was both attainable and desirable.