Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Auron is 35
Yes go ahead crumble into dust

Nah it's cool he's still older than me :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Leal posted:

Jeeze, Auron is over 30 in a JRPG? Guy must be a walking corpse at that point.

Guy's been dead almost two decades and looks better than alive 33 years old

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cattail Prophet posted:

OK but Steiner and Auron are also only like 40???

The auron thing's a separate bit and Steiner's coming to the old man club for advice.

Also I think Galuf just plain doesn't like Laguna

Aside: Characters seem to have been nabbed from their games at different points in the story. For example, FF5 team is all from like mid World 2....except Krile who is from post game and is trying to keep things a secret so you get a really nice little character story where she's trying to hide how happy and sad she is to see grandpa again and then Galuf eventually tells her he knows what's going on because he's one of the guys that got brought in post death. he's just been hiding it because he doesn't want to burden the rest of the 5 team.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 27, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think I read somewhere that during development Auron's age fluctuated all over the place. They settled on the current older Auron but Nomura said 'but I want this guy to be 35' and well they already made all the art assets so he's just a really old 35.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CottonWolf posted:

I wonder how SoP’s sold. Did it manage to meme it’s way to success?

Every article I found for sales was to the effect of "it's one of the worst selling FF spin offs in Japan.. oh and this is only for physical copies... oh and it was the highest selling game for that week's physical game sales."

It probably did well enough but launching right after Elden Ring isn't going to do it any favors and we all know Square has a history of being disappointed when a game underperforms their expectations of selling 5 million copies within the first 30 seconds.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Every article I found for sales was to the effect of "it's one of the worst selling FF spin offs in Japan.. oh and this is only for physical copies... oh and it was the highest selling game for that week's physical game sales."

It probably did well enough but launching right after Elden Ring isn't going to do it any favors and we all know Square has a history of being disappointed when a game underperforms their expectations of selling 5 million copies within the first 30 seconds.

miss you, Deus Ex :smith:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Auron looks exactly as old as he thinks he does.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My brain autocorrects Auron to 50 and Balthier to 35.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Tellah, a character who looks like fuckin Rip Van Winkle, an accomplished sage who has forgotten more magic than anyone else in the game learns due to his advanced years, is ... 60

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Balthier is very clearly a 20-something who thinks he's much older and cooler than he really is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Heath posted:

Tellah, a character who looks like fuckin Rip Van Winkle, an accomplished sage who has forgotten more magic than anyone else in the game learns due to his advanced years, is ... 60

TBF the average lifespan in FF4 is like 15 so by standards he's ancient.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

TBF the average lifespan in FF4 is like 15 so by standards he's ancient.

That's because evolution on their planet somehow didn't propagate the "self preservation" trait. Everyone in FF4 is willing, nay, eager, to sacrifice themself at the first opportunity.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Schwartzcough posted:

That's because evolution on their planet somehow didn't propagate the "self preservation" trait. Everyone in FF4 is willing, nay, eager, to sacrifice themself at the first opportunity.

This hallway is hosed up

Ready palom?

Ready porom

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Look, we may be 8, but you going to the moon is just more important.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

War crimes eh? Well, the past is the past!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Schwartzcough posted:

On the other hand, they also have a tendency to miraculously survive, so maybe self preservation just works differently in that world.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I was pretty bummed when those kids died though

Also they have the best chapters in The After Years, which isn't saying much but still

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SettingSun posted:

I think I read somewhere that during development Auron's age fluctuated all over the place. They settled on the current older Auron but Nomura said 'but I want this guy to be 35' and well they already made all the art assets so he's just a really old 35.

hes dead

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Heath posted:

It makes more sense than most 'old' JPRG characters. Tellah (and the Mysidian Elder?) was a world renown sage (and adventurer) when he was younger, so basically he was a JRPG protagonist 40-50 years before FF4's story. He gets older, marries, settles down and has a family at which point he stops actively practicing magic. 20 or so years later, FF4 happens. Tellah's now Actually Old, not just JRPG Old, barely remembers much magic due to years of living a normal life, and when his daughter runs off he basically tries to go after her. The more he travels (levels up) the more his body's paying the price for his sedentary years and old age.

Yeah he's 'only' 60 but 60's still pretty drat old in medieval times like FF4's world largely exists in and if magic exists to extend one's youth and vigor he clearly wasn't using it. Or he's got mental health issues at which point even if he was still practicing magic, well...

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Tellah prequel when

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Is there any concrete ish info on the SOP dlc? Niohs dlc was nicely packed: each one came with new missions, new weapons, and an entire additional difficulty that would also do things like add the new monsters from previous dlcs throughout the base game, as well as provide more powerful traits/affixes/builds.

The only info I could find was an interview where they pretty much just said “we’re looking at new weapons maybe or new jobs or maybe just new actions for existing jobs”

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I want Gunbreaker

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

We’ve got names:

Trials of the Dragon King
Wanderer of the Rift
DIFFERENT FUTURE

So, something Bahamut, something Greg and ???. Mechanically what each will comprise of, I don’t believe we know.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the dlc will be about chaos killing jack

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Trials of the Dragon King will take course over several years and Jack will let a strand of his hair grow out longer than the rest of it and at the end he will cut it off symbolically and now the Warriors of Light have a way of getting new jobs once they get their adventure going

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Do you think your children could be tainted by darkness?

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Heath posted:

I was pretty bummed when those kids died though

Also they have the best chapters in The After Years, which isn't saying much but still

Palom did. Porom's was just wasted potential. She's one of the most unfortunate casualties of The After Years, easily. Which is a shame, since I liked her in FFIV and her AY design kinda grew on me.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Apparently she's FIVE in the original?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Heath posted:

Apparently she's FIVE in the original?

Everyone in the party, barring Tellah, Cid, and Yang, are pretty hilariously young, especially for the positions some of them (Cecil and Kain) are in.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Final Fantasy 7 is where character ages actually started to make sense, and they were pretty good until FFX took us back to "grizzled senior citizen who is 35."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Auron never gave off that senior vibe that others talk about. He seems older, and wiser to the real goings on. But in the same way someone who did two tours vs the kid sitting in the recruitment office is

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

In fairness, Final Fantasy was absolutely not the only franchise with some crazy young characters. See: Jill Valentine. Ex-Delta Force (we're going to ignore Delta Force is all male, also) and elite special forces operative at the age of.....24.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Twelve by Pies posted:

Final Fantasy 7 is where character ages actually started to make sense, and they were pretty good until FFX took us back to "grizzled senior citizen who is 35."

Cid feels like he should be about ten years older, but for the most part 7 gets it right.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
aurons been through hell and back so him looking the way he does isnt that far fetched imo

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Cid feels like he should be about ten years older, but for the most part 7 gets it right.

Eh, 32 seems about right, certainly enough time for him to become a distinguished pilot and then a washed up has been when Shinra takes his dream from him. I feel like it'd be a little weird for him to be older too, considering that at first he thinks Rufus is going to resurrect the space program because Rufus is a young president and still has dreams, like himself.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Auron has literally never gone anywhere in the last 10 years without a hip flask the size of a pony keg full of something flammable, no wonder he aged kinda rough

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If Homer Simpson can be 36, Auron can be 35

Arthur Morgan is also 36, so living or dying, in Auron's case rough can age a fella

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Auron's definitely the kind of guy that seems to be immortal because he looks the exact same age of 'old' for most of his adult life.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

We’ve got names:

Trials of the Dragon King
Wanderer of the Rift
DIFFERENT FUTURE

So, something Bahamut, something Greg and ???. Mechanically what each will comprise of, I don’t believe we know.

I assume Wanderer of the Rift will also involve Omega (and possibly Shinryu). That's usually what happens when a Final Fantasy mentions the Interdimensional Rift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So are elemental resistances being broken in the Battle Square a thing that's always been there, or did the Switch port create it? Because I've got a Dragon Armlet on Cloud which is supposed to absorb fire/ice/lightning, and enemies in the very first battle are casting Ice/Bolt 2 on me and doing normal damage. And the armor works outside the Battle Square, because I had it on Cloud going through Great Glacier and he was absorbing every ice attack that got thrown at him.

Anyway I remembered the Switch port has a "god mode" that constantly refills your HP/MP and Limit Gauge, and I've done the Battle Square legit back in the PS1 days, so I figure if the game is gonna cheat then so am I. Especially because it's bullshit that your BP gets wiped out if you leave the Battle Square. Like, losing it all if you leave the Gold Saucer, yeah, that would make sense, I'd be fine with that, but it's ridiculous to force the player to get 64,000 BP for W-Summon in one play session, especially when you might get as low as 600 for a successful run and only around 10k extremely rarely. gently caress that. God mode ahoy.