Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

What is the Prologue anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Runa posted:

Since they've announced it as being shown at the Gundam Bases, my guess is it'll be a short displayed on the big screens like that G-Reco one with the Phenex from a few years back (if I'm remembering what that was right?).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Runa posted:

Judging from Build Divers?

Fifteen minute standalone short released online to give the audience some idea of what the setting is like while introducing a few characters who'll be relevant later, but without including the leads.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Gundam Aerial looks like a cross between the Barbatos and the Banshee Norn. I'm pretty sure its shield will work like the Armed Armor DE - a big fuckoff cannon on one end and a set of thrusters on the other, letting it be attached to the suit's back to serve as a booster pack. That also makes sense considering the name - you'd expect something called the Aerial to be unusually high-mobility. Judging by that ominous red glow in the trailer, it also has some sort of super-mode, although it's anyone's guess what that will entail.

I really like the design for the Beguir-Beu - looks like they're going to be getting properly, adventurously weird and alien with the antagonist mechanical designs, which can only be a good thing.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I definitely think that shield turns into some wings.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Napoleon Nelson posted:

All hail Gundam Lfrith!

The first Welsh Gundam?

00 looking legs, IBO/SEED looking waist, Portanova shoulders from 30 Minute Missions and psychoframe glowy bits.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I love the Qubeley colour scheme and the very weird head on the Beguir-Beu.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think it's safe to assume that the Lfrith is an early prototype of the Aerial. It's the same design but slightly lower-tech and less elegant. The fact that it's got a thruster backpack and a shield rather than making one piece of equipment do both stands out, for instance.

In general, the Aerial looks like an extremely lightweight design, though in an intentional, ground-up way. The kit previews on the site show that it's got the absolute bare minimum of armour, with quite a bit of exposed inner frame on its limbs, and having a single shield/cannon/booster pack rather than separate pieces of equipment with separate purposes speaks volumes. I'd expect this thing to be fast but fragile, not a bruiser like some Gundams.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it's safe to assume that the Lfrith is an early prototype of the Aerial. It's the same design but slightly lower-tech and less elegant. The fact that it's got a thruster backpack and a shield rather than making one piece of equipment do both stands out, for instance.

Yeah, I wonder if the Lfrith is going to get trashed in the Prologue and be rebuilt as the Aerial for the series proper.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Ethiser posted:

Yeah, I wonder if the Lfrith is going to get trashed in the Prologue and be rebuilt as the Aerial for the series proper.

That, or it’s mothballed or sealed away, only to be upgraded by the mysterious masked rival at the midpoint of the show.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

For all we know the prologue might be decades or centuries before the show, and the Lfrith was destroyed long ago and he Aerial is simply another MS in that production line.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

For all we know the prologue might be decades or centuries before the show, and the Lfrith was destroyed long ago and he Aerial is simply another MS in that production line.

Yeah, looks more like a previous generation of the same design than literally the same suit rebuilt, although I could be wrong.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
That shield becomes a surf board right? Please?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like the combination of the messy hair, the bags under her eyes and those big eyebrows.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

That shield becomes a surf board right? Please?

Sadly for you, it's probably going to be a Banshee Norn-style backpack.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Atlas already has a surfboard.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Probably a safe bet that this'll be on GundamInfo and Crunchyroll, right?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would still be way of Netflix and now Disney

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix snatches it up but who knows. I have avoided Crunchyroll but far so if it goes there I might get it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like Netflix gets these things so far in advance that we would know with this.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Probably a safe bet that this'll be on GundamInfo and Crunchyroll, right?

Im guessing yes, I dont know if they'll put it up immediately in gundaminfo like they have with the more recent series. I know that gundam shows are not available from gundaminfo in certain areas and expect you to fork over money for whoever has the license for your region.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm cautiously optimistic.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The music sounds like sawano, and to my knowledge gundam only uses him for their really big budget UC stuff (I can'timagine he'scheap to bring on to a project). Something about the animation of the girl's clothes billowing in the wind feels very unicorn to me too.

Too early to make any real judgement but a mainline original show getting the unicorn treatment sounds really cool. Idk how they'd fit that kind of a production in when that's also what they're doing for 2 more hathaway movies and the doan's island movie, but hey I can hope

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Apparently they are going to market it as a big thing, so yeah I'm guessing they will put resources into it

Really want to see the production staff and voice actors.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would imagine the first new mainline Gundam TV series in 7 years would get a lot of production focus.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

The music sounds like sawano, and to my knowledge gundam only uses him for their really big budget UC stuff (I can'timagine he'scheap to bring on to a project). Something about the animation of the girl's clothes billowing in the wind feels very unicorn to me too.

Too early to make any real judgement but a mainline original show getting the unicorn treatment sounds really cool. Idk how they'd fit that kind of a production in when that's also what they're doing for 2 more hathaway movies and the doan's island movie, but hey I can hope

Sunrise/Bandai has multiple studios so I would think they can handle multiple productions. They have done like IBO, Origin, and G-Reco movies at around similar times before.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The song is Last Breath by J.T. Peterson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIe_mp0kKoA

His Facebook says he does composing for both film and trailers, so it's hard to say if he's the composer and they're using a previous piece as an establishing thing like they did for Colin Stetson in Uzumaki or if it's just a song they're using for the trailer. I'm leaning towards the former because it wouldn't really make sense to license an entire external song for su a short teaser.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 29, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

psyer posted:

Sunrise/Bandai has multiple studios so I would think they can handle multiple productions. They have done like IBO, Origin, and G-Reco movies at around similar times before.

Sure, but those all have varying levels of production quality (g-reco movies are like 80% a re-edit of existing animation, IBO is of standard-to-above-average TV show production quality, origin was a movie and as such had a lot of intimate and fluid animation details). Working on 3 projects simultaneously isn't anything new, but all 3 getting cream of the crop production focus seems atypical to me. also the g-reco movies are still in production aren't they? Releasing soon so near the end of production maybe, but that still means they have an additional gundam project over that previous time.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 29, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ibo TV had some real rough bits

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Ibo TV had some real rough bits
:> Atra

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

psyer posted:

I think the current record is Gundam San, Build Fighters Try, and Reconguista in G airing at the same time, right after Gundam San and Unicorn finished, with the first Origin movie releasing while they were still on the air.

Sunrise can manage a lot of Gundam at once when they want to.

It sounds like this isn't going to be Sawano from the fact the trailer music isn't his, but he has done TV mech anime pretty recently with 86. Then again, 86 was a bit of a premium production.

(Actually, the main point of this post was to say 86 was real good, and more people should watch it. The last two episodes had some of the most impressive directing I've seen on TV.)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So I don't know if this has been answered earlier in the thread, but besides the pictures of 3 robots, has there been any detail on Witch of Mercury's story/setting? Is it a new calendar or a sequel? The Arial looks kinda like an IBO Gundam and the G-Self had a baby which makes me wonder if it has connections to either of those settings.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think all that's been confirmed is it's a new universe.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

That shot feels even more disorienting with how detailed up close Atra is. You can see the folds in her hoodie shift as she runs, the pull strings have bounce, her hair's flopping, just a nice solid bit of animation... following up from :>.

Iron Blooded Orphans is, as always, a land of contrasts.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've been sampling a bit more of Peterson's work since he's got a couple albums up on YouTube and this is some pretty good stuff.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

now that I think about it, aside from age, all the non-build gundam series the past 15 years have had absolute banger main gundam designs and the new Mecury design continues the trend.

The designs are super detailed and it looks hand drawn from the trailer, so RIP sunrise animators.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 29, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I've been sampling a bit more of Peterson's work since he's got a couple albums up on YouTube and this is some pretty good stuff.

You learn to clean your room?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wrong one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

galagazombie posted:

So I don't know if this has been answered earlier in the thread, but besides the pictures of 3 robots, has there been any detail on Witch of Mercury's story/setting? Is it a new calendar or a sequel? The Arial looks kinda like an IBO Gundam and the G-Self had a baby which makes me wonder if it has connections to either of those settings.

30 seconds of a girl standing in the wind with the top third of a gundam standing up behind her is like 5x more information than we had before this