Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is that a hard-r n-bomb that you blanked in that first post :psyduck:

edit: first post in the screen cap that is.

Hahaha I came to that conclusion, left it, and returned to it several times. Glad to hear it's not the case....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've literally heard 30-35 year olds, who've had smartphones for 15 years, who are continuously glued to their phones 24/7, complain that young people these days are far too into their phones.

Nothing changes. Nothing will change.

I was about to make a smug "15 years? :smug:" comment but yeah, the iPhone was like 2007, and the blackberry's even older.

This post submitted by Neito's next of kin after they crumbled to dust at their keyboard.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Thankfully I don't have to deal with an HOA, but just throwing birdseed everywhere is a good way to get rats. My town has had a problem since backyard chicken coops became a thing - the extra food people would leave around attracted rats which then started getting in to houses.

In my neighborhood I have seen rodents crossing the street at night a few times - the little fuckers get around.
Swap out the backyard chickens for backyard owls, problem solved.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Chickens already eat rats.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Rate are preferable to lovely Karen neighbors anyway

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Neito posted:

I was about to make a smug "15 years? :smug:" comment but yeah, the iPhone was like 2007, and the blackberry's even older.

This post submitted by Neito's next of kin after they crumbled to dust at their keyboard.

Yeah if you're 30 the glass rectangle has been around for 50% of your life.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Am I missing something, why is he 4x and the other guy's 7x?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

From my years working in landscaping; No one understands what a yard of material really is, or how far it spreads. He's either selling more than a yard as a yard (very common, the bucket on the front end loader is big, and I'm too lazy to do it with the smaller machine) or he's implying that everyone else is selling less than a yard as a yard (very common, people are dumb and don't understand how much a yard really is).

The other possibility is that he's going extremely thin with his mulch, which has it's pros and cons.

I'd also say that in that photo the beds are inexcusably lumpy for a property that was just done, and I wouldn't have picked it for an advertisement shot.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Neito posted:

Am I missing something, why is he 4x and the other guy's 7x?

The pricing is per square yard of area covered not per yard of a house

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

pile of brown posted:

The pricing is per square yard of area covered not per yard of a house

It would actually be cubic yard of material. Mulch does have thickness. If you were selling based on the area covered, you could lay the thinnest most ineffectual layer and still technically be covering. Bulk material is usually sold by volume. Loam, Gravel, Mulch, Soil, etc. Larger loads might be sold by weight. Most material yards just kind of round off on the numbers when you get loaded though. A typical "general purpose" skidsteer bucket runs between 5 and 7 feet with a capacity of roughly .4 cubic yards to .8 cubic yards. So the operator is just going to ballpark it when loading you up. Usually you'll go heavy with the load, because no one ever bitches they got too much material for free.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Huh, figured it was just times per week/month

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I still don't understand what the 4 and 7 mean.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I still don't understand what the 4 and 7 mean.

Other guys want to sell people 7 cubic yards of mulch to get the job done, dude with the ad can do it with 4 cubic yards of mulch.
He's probably trying to insinuate that his competitors overcharge by estimating too much product.
To figure out how much mulch to cover an area - a 10 yard by 10 yard plot with a layer 3" deep will need 10*10*1/12 (3" is a twelfth of a yard) cubic yards of mulch.
Basically people are used to thinking of yardwork in area, not volume.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Okay, thanks. I had no idea what they were saying so just assumed they were making things up to sound better.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Well if you have an Olympic swimming pool in your backyard it's gonna take a lot mulch to fill in. But the HOA gets what it wants

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

My nextdoor is just chuds jerking off about the Freedom Convoy and people asking for cheap plumbers.

If I was a nastier part anarchist than I am, I might suggest that you:

1. Open a Nextdoor account for an address in your area that's a few streets away from your real home and not anyone's legitimate residence, e.g. too high a street number, nonexistent apartment number, address of the local crack house or of a vacant lot or a business closed forever due to going bankrupt during the Covid lockdown.
  2. Disguise yourself well by shaving off your beard or growing one or buying a fake one or whatever.
  3. Respond to some Nextdoor chud's cheap rear end exploitative lowball plumber request with an offer they can't refuse. Arrange a visit.
  4. Collect some plumber-looking tools. Maybe borrow them from someone not on your local Nextdoor.
  5. Put fake number plates on your car, or obscure the original ones with mud or whatever.
  6. Attend chud's premises as arranged and destroy their plumbing. This Three Stooges video willl give you lots of good tips:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRnNzNed1U&feature=youtu.be&t=4m17s

Disclaimer: Just joking, hahahaha, and vandalism even of chuds' property is bad, m'kay. Plus it might catalyse even more support for the orange bastard at the next election from "Crime in America is out of control!" types.

Edit: Ixnay'd the ackstorybay, start the video from the beginning if you want to to see all of it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 13, 2022

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

BigBadSteve posted:

Disclaimer: Just joking, hahahaha, and vandalism even of chuds' property is bad, m'kay. Plus it might catalyse even more support for the orange bastard at the next election from "Crime in America is out of control!" types.

Also joking haha very funny jokes: I love how absurd this is and would love to do it, buuut...

I'm trans so I'd probably be murdered.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BigBadSteve posted:

If I was a nastier part anarchist than I am, I might suggest that you:

[list=1]
[*]Open a Nextdoor account for an address in your area that's a few streets away from your real home and not a legitimate residence e.g. too high a street number, nonexistent apartment number, address of the local crack house or of a vacant lot or a business closed forever due to bankruptcy during the Covid lockdown.

Setting aside the rest of it, this won't work. They mail you a physical confirmation code to the address you list.

At the very least you need to be able to collect the mail at the address you give them. I'm pretty sure it also needs to be a physical address, i.e. no PO boxes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Setting aside the rest of it, this won't work. They mail you a physical confirmation code to the address you list.

At the very least you need to be able to collect the mail at the address you give them. I'm pretty sure it also needs to be a physical address, i.e. no PO boxes.

Never happened to me. Maybe they don't or can't do that in Canada

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is not universally true

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

Never happened to me. Maybe they don't or can't do that in Canada

yeah i definitely have a fake name and address on my nextdoor account.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

every time I go on Nextdoor a banner says I need to confirm my address I just always ignore it

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

yeah i definitely have a fake name and address on my nextdoor account.

My address is probably real, not sure about the unit number for my place, but name definitely fake.

I'm Richard Johnson.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

My address is probably real, not sure about the unit number for my place, but name definitely fake.

I'm Richard Johnson.

Do you mind if we call you Johnson?

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

thank you Doug for keeping the neighborhood safe

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Neito posted:

My sister and bro-in-law are early 40s. They are absolutely glued to their phones. They don't really bitch about the kids being the same, my 20 year old nephew was a competitive fortnight player, and my niece came home from college to stay at my Sis's place, but just holed up in her room on facetime or whatever with friends.

I'm so happy I missed that gene, or addiction. I'll be 40 this year, and I text like... 2 people, maybe 3 on the regular (more than a couple times a week, one is my mom, one is a coworker, and one is a friend). It's mainly a device I use for an alarm, news, and the occasional game if I'm stuck waiting at a doc's office or something. I do have an iPad that I have on a mounted arm on my desk, that'll I'll idly play trivia games or wordle, or whatever. Or move it to a different mount in my kitchen, if I want to watch something while I cook.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Cool, dad

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Doug seems pretty cool.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Dude posted a whole thing about how his son, a 20-something year old with autism, has apparently been harassing people in a certain area for years, cops have been involved multiple times, he's stalked people, said insanely hosed up stuff about wanting to have sex with their children, just absolutely mindboggling poo poo while also being physically threatening and sending obscene material to their houses and stuff. The dad is trying to assure the community that he will prevent things like this from happening again, so there's some reasonable back and forth because it sounds like a very difficult situation all around.

I just loved this one lady's response though:

quote:

We are all a mental illness, brain change or disease, or head trauma away from having our personality or cognitive function changed to exhibit behavior most of us would consider inappropriate! And, a really lousy day away from a very temporary one. Witness road rage, "kicking the dog", or giving ourselves or children a "time out."
And of course going on to say "have you tried just being nice to him??" and other bullshit.

The whole thing is a mess because to me it sounds like autism is barely the tip of the iceberg with the dude and it's hosed up to throw it all under that umbrella, but I just love the insanity of saying that "road rage, dog kicking, and ummmm putting children in timeouts" are the evidence that anyone can do something hosed up on a bad day.

e: Ooh nice, and another scorching take about an incident where that dude repeatedly and aggressively asked a mom if he could "medically examine" her three year old child:

quote:

He did ask permission. He surely must be "disturbed", but that is not a crime. I doubt that the police can just take him off for psychiatric diagnosis. Also, a child old enough to be in the park alone would have been trained to be cautious with strangers, I should think.

Martman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 30, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

He did ask permission, that's true.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

HopperUK posted:

My brother as a teen did coke and went joyriding so where he gets off complaining about the youth is beyond me

your brother sounds cool how else does he get off

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Martman posted:

I just love the insanity of saying that "road rage, dog kicking, and ummmm putting children in timeouts" are the evidence that anyone can do something hosed up on a bad day.

I have a feeling "time out" is actually corporeal punishment and she's just being coy about it for some reason.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
What you never got "time-out" from school for a week so the face booboos could heal?

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

motorcycle hooligans are killing my husband this used to be such a nice neighborhood

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Lol i opened ND for the first time in months and someone was immediately complaining about people 'stealing' bags of cans they left on the curb for recycling, and the comments were suggesting they call the cops about it.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I might have mentioned it elsewhere but the only time I posted to nextdoor was when I saw a massive coyote just walking down the street in broad daylight; in Seattle.

Next best one was maybe a year before and here comes a full-grown doe just wandering up the street.

I learned later that the neighbors would feed her; hence the coyote.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bismuth posted:

Lol i opened ND for the first time in months and someone was immediately complaining about people 'stealing' bags of cans they left on the curb for recycling, and the comments were suggesting they call the cops about it.

Well they probably picked it up sooner than the recycling trucks.... who they were giving it to for free anyway. :shrug:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Well they probably picked it up sooner than the recycling trucks.... who they were giving it to for free anyway. :shrug:

Thats why its insane. They didnt say the person did anything wrong, just take something they were already throwing away, but they were acting like taking their trash before the garbage man could was a slippery slope to armed robbery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bismuth posted:

i opened Nextdoor a few days ago and one of the top posts was some loving brain donor openly wondering what kind of minority would break into their fenced backyard to steal their bird feeders, as if raccoons didn’t exist

gently caress people