Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Re: container brambles

I've got a boysenberry on my roof that does okay. It's in three 5 gallon fabric pots linked by runners that I never cut.

If you're doing multiple plants though, go out of your way to get different cultivars so they're not clones. They'll pollinate and yield better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mischief posted:

I used square foot gardening when I had that first tiny garden and still try to grow as much as possible vertically even with a lot of room. It makes it so much easier to not have surprise mega squash or whatever hiding in the dirt drawing in the bugs.

I generally prefer to grow vertically as much as possible because it feels like a little extra routine maintenance in exchange for a lot less surprise maintenance. It's a pain to get some plants to go up, but airflow is better and pest and disease management is much, much easier. It's a nice trade-off.

I was very happy the year that I successfully got watermelons growing across a big arch trellis even though that's not something I'm ever going to do again.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

blue oyster mushrooms pinning from strange plastic trees

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh yeah, tons of red clay out in this area, so I know what you're talking about. And it definitely rarely gets cold, especially since climate change has started to kick in, I don't think we've seen a low lower than 18 F or so in winter for years. It doesn't get much higher than the high 90s either, though it's not unheard of.

The catalog my mom gave me has a little map on the order thing that has areas listed in zones (the catalog is the 2022 spring Dutch Gardens catalog) but that seems mostly concerned with temperature rather than soil (and to be fair, I could just buy fancy soil if I wanted, so that's probably why).

This catalog seems to almost exclusively sell bulbs/live plants rather than seeds, which is good I suppose since people are saying bulbs are good to start with. I don't see any lupines or zinnias in it, but it does have a good amount of lilies and irises. Also dahlias, like the entire first half of the catalog is dahlias. At any rate I suppose I can also hit up the local farming supply stores since they likely would mostly stock things that would grow well in the area.
Don't order from Dutch Gardens! See Dave's Garden for reasons why. tl;dr they don't ship and don't refund, often ship dead plants and don't refund, and in general are shitheads. In general, thread, always check Dave's Garden before you order from a new-to-you mail-order nursery.

Twelve by Pies, to begin with, order seeds from Burpee Seeds, Park Seeds, or other trustworthy catalogs. (Not Gurneys!) Burpee was founded in 1876, Park in 1868, and both of them have had reliable high-quality seeds ever since. Both companies breed their own, as well as selling other companies' hybrids. For this year, order from their web sites; in future years, you'll get those nice high-gloss catalogs that make January worth living through.

There are specialty seed growers that offer more obscure seeds, "heirloom" seeds that aren't hybrids, rare seeds that your typical gardener has never heard of. But to start with, buy from Burpee or Park. Your seeds will arrive, they'll grow, and you'll be happy.

P.S. Red clay sucks. Boy, howdy. (Used to live in North Carolina.)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

poverty goat posted:

blue oyster mushrooms pinning from strange plastic trees

You must be reading my mind. I'm going to pick up spawn tomorrow. I have spent grains from brewing that I wanted to find another use for them, and mushrooms sure won't mind it. I was hoping to find some Chestnut or Wine Cap spawn, but I'm going to settle for blue oysters.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Jhet posted:

You must be reading my mind. I'm going to pick up spawn tomorrow. I have spent grains from brewing that I wanted to find another use for them, and mushrooms sure won't mind it. I was hoping to find some Chestnut or Wine Cap spawn, but I'm going to settle for blue oysters.

I'm working very slowly through a 50lb bag of horse oats ($20). The substrate in the buckets is aspen bedding for small animals at about $5 per bucket and it was very easy to pasteurize and set up, as far as mushroom things go. I almost went with straw, which would have been even cheaper, but a lot more work and risk of contamination.

I started off some pink oyster spawn 36 hours ago and they are starting to go as well:

I'm going to have a shitload of mushrooms. Planning to try to sell some and see how that goes, and maybe branch out into shitake/lion's mane/hen of the woods if all goes well

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

poverty goat posted:

I'm working very slowly through a 50lb bag of horse oats ($20). The substrate in the buckets is aspen bedding for small animals at about $5 per bucket and it was very easy to pasteurize and set up, as far as mushroom things go. I almost went with straw, which would have been even cheaper, but a lot more work and risk of contamination.

I started off some pink oyster spawn 36 hours ago and they are starting to go as well:

I'm going to have a shitload of mushrooms. Planning to try to sell some and see how that goes, and maybe branch out into shitake/lion's mane/hen of the woods if all goes well

Super awesome. My spent grain starts pasteurized, but I'll be mixing it in with some ornamental grass straw and doing some of it outside in a layered bale for growing and fruiting. This is a just for me and my screwing around with things so I'm not as worried about contamination. I also don't want to give up indoor space to it when my climate is super great for growing these things outdoors. I'll just need to trust that I can give the spawn a head start in competition. It's all byproducts of other hobbies too, so that makes me happy.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Jhet posted:

Super awesome. My spent grain starts pasteurized, but I'll be mixing it in with some ornamental grass straw and doing some of it outside in a layered bale for growing and fruiting. This is a just for me and my screwing around with things so I'm not as worried about contamination. I also don't want to give up indoor space to it when my climate is super great for growing these things outdoors. I'll just need to trust that I can give the spawn a head start in competition. It's all byproducts of other hobbies too, so that makes me happy.

My spring/fall climate is not great or terrible so I will probably stick a couple of buckets outside to see how it compares, but I don't think it's quite humid enough to do it without micromanaging them a bit. And I already have a room full of grow tents and climate control so what's one more? The plants might even benefit a bit from the uptick in CO2.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Every time I give squash or zucchini a chance with a small patch, they end up taking over the entire garden. And at some point when I'm not looking, they start making plans to jump the fence and take over my neighbor's garden patch as well. They know no bounds.
You can have zero squash or all the squash. There is no in-between.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

poverty goat posted:

I'm super into this and want to try it as well thanks for sharing any info

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm super into this and want to try it as well thanks for sharing any info

I'm mostly following this tek as far as bucket setup https://grocycle.com/growing-mushrooms-in-buckets/

e: Right now they're in a slightly bigger than 2x4 mini greenhouse w/ a DIY humidifier, averaging about 85% RH, and a filtered exhaust fan hacked together from a 120mm PC fan and some 3d prints running 3 min out of every 10 or so for fresh air exchange and they seem very happy about it overall

ee: Horse oats are not the BEST grain because they are harder to sterilize, but they are cheap as gently caress, so here's the oat tek I have followed w/ no contamination issues so far. This is where most of the costs will crop up if you don't DIY, & I could easily have spent more on spawn than I spent on the PC already.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/21121313/fpart/all

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 26, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(Not Gurneys!)

lol my mom orders from them too

It's fine, the order was already placed a couple of days ago and everything she ordered for me was bulbs, no seeds or live plants, and they were fairly cheap so whatever happens happens. I know how stubborn my mom is, if I try to tell her to order from other places she'll just say "Well I've been ordering from them for years and it's been fine!" and that'll be the end of that. I'll just order from better places on my own in the future. :v:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Woops, found these guys in my garden bed and freaked out and threw them away. Turns out they're actually figeater beetle grubs which eat decomposing plant matter. They actually help compost your soil. I thought they were the bad kind to eat your plant roots. But I guess that makes sense because I currently don't have anything growing.

Anyway you can identify these because you might live in the southwest, and they're really huge, and they crawl on their backs. The adults are the big bumbling beetles that fly around during the daytime and crash into things.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

harvesting first flush today maybe, about a month after i decided to grow some shrooms. lol

they're a little leggy because there wasn't enough fresh air exchange the first few days, and they're white because I keep forgetting to leave the lights on for them, but we'll get there

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Whoa that looks like an awesome harvest!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

poverty goat posted:

harvesting first flush today maybe, about a month after i decided to grow some shrooms. lol

they're a little leggy because there wasn't enough fresh air exchange the first few days, and they're white because I keep forgetting to leave the lights on for them, but we'll get there

What are you using as substrate?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Arven posted:

What are you using as substrate?

aspen pet bedding

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
Are mushrooms one of those “garden” plants that taste significantly better than store bought or is about getting different types that you can find at the store.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i think they do taste better if you grow them but the difference is not as significant as with something like a tomato

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

GordonComstock posted:

Are mushrooms one of those “garden” plants that taste significantly better than store bought or is about getting different types that you can find at the store.

They certainly can taste better, but it's also about being able to find high quality mushrooms of different varieties. You can find generic oysters in a lot of places now, but a lot of places in the US it's still really tough to find anything that's not a button mushroom or portabella that has seen better days. And it's going to be much fresher and full of flavor if you grow them yourself. And sometimes even a lot cheaper.

E: I got my spawn into a straw sandwich on Monday, but no pictures because everyone's seen small bales of straw grass before. I picked up Blue Oyster and Queen Oyster spawn, and I'm screwing around with stepping up some of the fresh mycelium from the cinnamon caps that I bought to eat.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

GordonComstock posted:

Im not sure that they taste better per say but growing your own is so extremely satisfying especially if you can manage to grow them off your own kitchen and yard waste. Plus it forces you to make more mushroom centric dishes as they come to maturity.

Mushroom tacos baby!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

Im not sure that they taste better per say but growing your own is so extremely satisfying especially if you can manage to grow them off your own kitchen and yard waste. Plus it forces you to make more mushroom centric dishes as they come to maturity.

Mushroom tacos baby!

I fried some up in butter w/ garlic, salt and pepper for lunch and they were delicious, but I can't compare to storebought because the stores here don't sell oyster mushrooms. But I'm mostly in it because meat is loving expensive right now and mushroom poo poo is not, so why not

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

GordonComstock posted:

Wild mushrooms are way tastier than store bought, but I feel like some flavor is lost in translation when we grow them. Also, they aren't plants! More closely related to animals than plants, but not real close to either.

triwolf
May 9, 2008

Jhet posted:

I have spent grain from brewing and would love to try this, but I have an indelicate question: how do you keep rats out of your set-up? I live in an old suburb very close to a major city center so while I do have my own backyard and front yard, rats are a huge problem and you have to stay one step ahead with protecting your compost and garden veggies from becoming rat magnets. I found that I can't put spent grains in my compost without basically inviting every rat in a 10 block radius to my house.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

triwolf posted:

I have spent grain from brewing and would love to try this, but I have an indelicate question: how do you keep rats out of your set-up? I live in an old suburb very close to a major city center so while I do have my own backyard and front yard, rats are a huge problem and you have to stay one step ahead with protecting your compost and garden veggies from becoming rat magnets. I found that I can't put spent grains in my compost without basically inviting every rat in a 10 block radius to my house.

I had rats with out having compost - living in a city. Im not sure there's anything to be done about it other than just not think about it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

triwolf posted:

I don't bother that much. The neighborhood is full of dogs and the rats seem to mostly stay away in my little corner of the city. It doesn't hurt that I have a dog that would love to chase down and dig out rats. Even then, you're going to have rodents or animals visiting. You just turn your compost regularly, and dig it out regularly. When you inevitably find rats in your compost you deal with them the same way humans have done for thousands of years. Something pointy or something heavy. They liked to dig under my compost when we lived in Chicago and spawn more demon rats no matter what I'd try. You can raise it above the ground and use chicken wire like you would in a feed barn on a farm, but it's not perfect. So I'll just expect to lose some of the mushrooms. I just tossed the bales in some space under some shrubs that's out of the way and I'll roll the dice with what I get. I figure that mushrooms grow in forests and parks all over here, why not just leave it to nature to figure out the rest.

With my spent grain I just dig holes in my raised beds and bury it under 6" of dirt in troughs most of the time. Other times I just put it in the city compost bins.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm pretty sure my compost pile did attract rats at one point. The rats attracted a weasel though, so for a while we had a garden weasel.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
It's my first spring in this new house, and we're looking to make modifications to the yard.

There's a large semi-circle area with bark and weed mat in place, which is where the previous owners kept a trampoline. We're looking to plant a bunch of flowers and vegetables in there instead.

Obviously I'm going to need to dump a ton of soil on there, but my question is should I remove the buried weed mat? That's going to get in the way of the roots, right? How about the bark? Do I need to scrape it all off, or can that just be buried?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Your garden fabric you’ll want to remove. Otherwise you’ll be angry with it anytime you try to plant anything.

The wood chips look small enough that they can get mixed in, but you could also move them into other garden beds to add more mulch on top. Then you’ll have a nice spot ready for the top soil and have a chance to have a really nice spot for your plants. It’s more work now, but it really does payoff in a healthy soil structure.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah remove the fabric and let some oxygen get in there. You probably don't need to add too much to that to get something to grow, provided that there's more than just superficial soil depth.

Don't even worry about the bark for a second.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Definitely get rid of the fabric. It doesn't do much to prevent weeds and it fucks with oxygen exchange which causes rot to happen instead of normal decomposition in the soil as well as driving out beneficial microfauna. If the mulch comes along when you pull off the fabric I'd set it off to the side and put it back on top afterwards instead of mixing it in, but it's not the end of the world if it gets mixed in given the state of it.

If there's decent access to your yard filling it probably isn't much of a project. Obviously you can get soil in bags, but that's likely a big enough area that it's worth calling a landscaping place and having them dump a load of loam. You might get away with not adding soil but I would be worried about it turning into a pond seasonally.

If you're going to want to put edging in doing it before you fill would be ideal since you can probably skip all the digging. (I like the concrete stuff that's designed for the edgers to interlock–Lowes had the best deals on it last time I bought some and it was easy enough to have them deliver a couple pallets.)

Wallet fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 31, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Went outside to check on some bulbs that haven't come up. Found out that the peas and sweet peas had, and that the apple I ordered was leafing out. Spent a few minutes weeding (@#$@#$ Himalayan blackberries), came in, scolded self for being so exhausted from five minutes work.

Time actually elapsed: close to half an hour. Yes, that's not a lot for most of you, but it is for me. Spring!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I planted my persimmon trees this week!

Hopefully they take...

I did my best to mix up the soil with compost. One spot had really good loamy soil, but the other spot was mostly clay... I tried to break up the clay chunks with a pitchfork and mix in the compost, so hopefully that's enough.

The trees are on a slope, so they should drain well, and they'll get tons of sun all day long. I just hope they tolerate the winters here. Virginia is borderline for their hardiness zone.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Went outside to check on some bulbs that haven't come up. Found out that the peas and sweet peas had, and that the apple I ordered was leafing out. Spent a few minutes weeding (@#$@#$ Himalayan blackberries), came in, scolded self for being so exhausted from five minutes work.

Time actually elapsed: close to half an hour. Yes, that's not a lot for most of you, but it is for me. Spring!

Screw that. Weeding Himalayan blackberries is a full workout. Sorry about them coming back up again twice more this year and next year too.

I’ve been picking all the slugs and snails off my greens where I’m just either going to only grow them in large elevated containers or just stop trying to grow them all together. I’m down to about half the gai lan I planted already. At least they’re mostly ignoring my horned mustards.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Biggest danger of WFH with a garden.

"Oh, I'll just pop out real quick to check on the blueberries..."

Next thing I know I'm on the other side of the yard trimming a green giant and realizing I'm 10 minutes late for a call.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Question: I got seedlings sprouted and ready to transplant for cucumbers, Swiss chard, leeks, thyme and oregano. It is not time yet for outside here in Kentucky. I'm looking to put them into larger pots. I mixed together 2 parts coconut coir and 1 part vermiculite for medium. Is that gonna do it? Am I missing something? The seedlings loved coir so I figured I'd stick with that. Does it need fertilizing?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Soul Dentist posted:

Question: I got seedlings sprouted and ready to transplant for cucumbers, Swiss chard, leeks, thyme and oregano. It is not time yet for outside here in Kentucky. I'm looking to put them into larger pots. I mixed together 2 parts coconut coir and 1 part vermiculite for medium. Is that gonna do it? Am I missing something? The seedlings loved coir so I figured I'd stick with that. Does it need fertilizing?

I'd add in a bit of perlite, and I kinda prefer peat to coir, but that should be fine. For potting on seedlings any kind of potting medium should do.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
My first season gardening not going so great. Spent the couple months growing Brandywine's from seeds and moved them outside last week. Queue a massive storm with 40mph winds and all my little tomato plants were smashed to bits. Was only worried about the cold, didn't even think about storms knocking my garden out.

Guess I'll end up going to a nursery to get something a bit more sturdy.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

NZAmoeba posted:

It's my first spring in this new house, and we're looking to make modifications to the yard.

There's a large semi-circle area with bark and weed mat in place, which is where the previous owners kept a trampoline. We're looking to plant a bunch of flowers and vegetables in there instead.

Obviously I'm going to need to dump a ton of soil on there, but my question is should I remove the buried weed mat? That's going to get in the way of the roots, right? How about the bark? Do I need to scrape it all off, or can that just be buried?

Yeah as others have said, definitely get rid of the weed mat. The bark can be worked into the soil, but it'll take a while (years) to compost, and potentially lock up nutrients in the meantime. I'd put it aside and use it as mulch.

Putting soil is probably the way, though ideally what you want is some compost-rich "vegetable blend" sort of thing. Or even just buy straight compost and work it in. Whatever you get, you should dig down a bit and work it all in. I'd double dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Soul Dentist posted:

If you use a more inert medium like coco coir, then fertilize. You can just grab a bag of potting soil and use that instead and not bother with nutrients until you're putting it in the ground.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

My first season gardening not going so great. Spent the couple months growing Brandywine's from seeds and moved them outside last week. Queue a massive storm with 40mph winds and all my little tomato plants were smashed to bits. Was only worried about the cold, didn't even think about storms knocking my garden out.

Guess I'll end up going to a nursery to get something a bit more sturdy.

I'm sorry for your plant loss. But yeah, welcome to gardening. Weather is a harsh lesson that we can't really always solve. Nice nurseries will have good variety for tomatoes at least, and they'll have beefsteak varieties that will do you well. Still plenty of time for it to recover at least.