Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the giant whale monster is good actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Buttrock is metal music but all the lyrics are about your gf breaking up with you.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Single-Classing for Zodiac Age, accounting for even armor types:

Shikari
Monk
Knight
Time Battlemage
Red Battlemage
Bushi

Opinion? Black and White Mages seem too plain.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 28, 2022

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Buttrock is anything made by Crush 40

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Draga posted:

Buttrock is anything made by Crush 40

This is the accurate description.

If you can picture Sonic fighting a final boss to it it is buttock

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Single-Classing for Zodiac Age, accounting for even armor types:

Shikari
Monk
Knight
Time Battlemage
Red Battlemage
Bushi

Opinion? Black and White Mages seem too plain.

Magick is really powerful in TZA you’ll miss out on not being able to exploit weaknesses. You could probably have a better time swapping out that Monk with White mage because holy is extremely good lategame.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Picture in your head a dude with an affliction t shirt listening to music. That's butt rock.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mustached Demon posted:

Picture in your head a dude with an affliction t shirt listening to music. That's butt rock.
I find it simpler to turn off my monitor.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010

jokes posted:

Magick is really powerful in TZA you’ll miss out on not being able to exploit weaknesses. You could probably have a better time swapping out that Monk with White mage because holy is extremely good lategame.

Monk can have access to Holy via an esper by the time you find it, since I think you can fight Chaos before reaching the pharos.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I got SoP in the mail and picked up where I left off. Is it just me or do the Crawlers in the Waterscape decimate your break gauge with one hit? Or is it because I'm trying to use a relatively low level job? I'm trying to rationale how you need both Pugilist and Lancer to unlock Monk, the purely punchy class.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grimthwacker posted:

I got SoP in the mail and picked up where I left off. Is it just me or do the Crawlers in the Waterscape decimate your break gauge with one hit? Or is it because I'm trying to use a relatively low level job? I'm trying to rationale how you need both Pugilist and Lancer to unlock Monk, the purely punchy class.

Some attacks hit pretty hard but also if your gear is a significantly lower level than the stage's level you take extra break damage.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Grimthwacker posted:

If you have equipment significantly lower level than the level of the area, you’ll take more break damage

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Also he's constantly hitting on 'adult' Rydia, who is 16 when she rejoins the party and was 7 when Leviathan took her to the Feymarch.
I believe the only time adult Rydia's been given an actual age in a bio is in World of Final Fantasy, where she's a specifically a life-long resident of Grymoire like the other Final Fantasy characters in it.
This could be how they see Rydia for the mainline game now, too, but stuff from IV's design documents in the Ultimania says she appears to be 20 after her time in the Feymarch.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

zedprime posted:

I'd you think blitz mines are bad you should get a load of the weapon Zanarkand left armed after the end of the war.

Wizards and technowizards have no sense of right or wrong.

I mean, Bevelle too. "Pretty sure we took the keys out of the giant robot that can destroy the planet so that ghosts can't attempt to reactivate it, no need to double check."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I really loving hate horses.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

ixion is good

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Grimthwacker posted:

Spears are a big thing in Wushudao weapon-based routines so maybe that's where they're pulling inspiration from :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

Monk can have access to Holy via an esper by the time you find it, since I think you can fight Chaos before reaching the pharos.

Fight what now

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Is there any real way to be able to focus on an affinity build before you reach the gear level cap? I'm in chaos mode now and I was hoping to have more opportunities to play around with affinities, but the gear level requirements kind of just keeps the wheel of mashing optimize going since even if I do come up with a build that lets me use a 400% trait its going to be obsolete in a half hour anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

Is there any real way to be able to focus on an affinity build before you reach the gear level cap? I'm in chaos mode now and I was hoping to have more opportunities to play around with affinities, but the gear level requirements kind of just keeps the wheel of mashing optimize going since even if I do come up with a build that lets me use a 400% trait its going to be obsolete in a half hour anyway

Yes. A few more ilevels is going to be less useful than a good affinity setup. Being below ilevel can hurt your break gauge but more often than not having a good affinity setup will let you output enough damage that isn't a concern.

By the time you're doing Chaos you should basically just accept being below the recommended level and instead focus on good solid builds.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
After glancing over the challenges I had left I think I'll put SoP on a shelf until the DLC starts trickling out. I like that it's a game you can play over the course of 1-2 weeks and finish and see 95% of the content for, and then that last 5% is the brutal hardmode endgame gear grind for the freaks who are into that. I think I like that design ethos way more than the usual open world 'our game is 100 hours and only 60% of it is obvious filler' of most AAA games.

I'm still probably gonna have "Alright-this is the one-alright-this is the one" kicking around my head for a while though~

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

You can power level to i-level 300 trivially easy. Theres a side/mission where the only objective is to find a trident which is randomly in one of 5 treasure chests in a small level. If you get lucky with the placement you can finish it in about a minute. Just keep increasing the difficulty until you're at 300 then you can get all the gear you need from it.

That said as mentioned in chaos mode being 100 ilevels over something has a very negligible impact on your survival so you'll still want class affinity gear and stats.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The Square Enix channel put up a preview of what the new/arranged music from the Chrono Cross Radical Dreamers Edition is going to be like and uh...I dunno. Some of it seems neat, some of it is just way too different for me to like it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/fforigin/status/1508490114032414720

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

i am just imagining that jacket to be like Ryan Gosling's from Drive

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Is there a word for feeling equal parts pride and shame? Wearing the Jacket must evoke that feeling.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Saint Freak posted:

Ten years ago if you forced a bunch of nerds to define Buttrock they would probably agree to something along the lines of 'sanitized simplistic corporate radio poprock, with lyrics you could drop verbatim into a whiny country ballad and it would appeal to the exact same demographic'. Stuff like Kid Rock, Theory of a Deadman, etc.

In 2022 though you can just translate it as 'song (that may or may not be rock) that I do not take seriously'.

this is actually pretty accurate tbh

10 years ago the definition for me of buttrock was like, Godsmack or Breaking Benjamin or Staind

It's harder to define now. Like I agree with someone upthread who mentioned all the modern Sonic music is buttrock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gb_42k30YE

but even though it's a similar kind of goofy, I don't think I'd consider most of the FF14 stuff to be buttrock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqM4W_Sqsrg

Not really sure why.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Twelve by Pies posted:

The Square Enix channel put up a preview of what the new/arranged music from the Chrono Cross Radical Dreamers Edition is going to be like and uh...I dunno. Some of it seems neat, some of it is just way too different for me to like it.

I need to hear it on real speakers and in context (I was briefly listening over my phone) and I was not enjoying it at all. I hope they have the option to use the original soundtrack.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
I have a Stranger of Paradise question for people who understand all the obtuse job-system interactions: if I unlock a buff on one job, is that applied to my character no matter which job I'm using? So if, say, my r1-r2 attacks say they have a new effect by a skill I unlocked as a Warrior, does that apply across jobs? And what about the ones that are straight buffs to stats?

I'm liking this nonsense game, but it really combines all the fiddly business of Nioh AND Final Fantasy in one package.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

heckyeahpathy posted:

I have a Stranger of Paradise question for people who understand all the obtuse job-system interactions: if I unlock a buff on one job, is that applied to my character no matter which job I'm using? So if, say, my r1-r2 attacks say they have a new effect by a skill I unlocked as a Warrior, does that apply across jobs? And what about the ones that are straight buffs to stats?

I'm liking this nonsense game, but it really combines all the fiddly business of Nioh AND Final Fantasy in one package.

The only things that are cross class are the L2 buffs (the ones that you bind to L2 + face button like lightbringer) and the actual weapon skills. Weapon links (which is what I think you were describing above) and other passive buffs are only when you have that job equipped.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's probably because it's an M rated game, but it having a block cause it potentially has sensitive content is funny to me for some reason.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

The only things that are cross class are the L2 buffs (the ones that you bind to L2 + face button like lightbringer) and the actual weapon skills. Weapon links (which is what I think you were describing above) and other passive buffs are only when you have that job equipped.

Got it! I thought that might be the case, but it's very fuzzy what's cross-class and what isn't.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's kinda funny in SoP that one party member gets all the best jobs (sage, black mage, breaker) and everyone else just has to make do with the scraps, I just did the 51-enemy postgame gauntlet and Sophia got off more ultimas than I did

Jack and Sophia just dominating bosses while the others mostly watch

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Snow Cone Capone posted:

but even though it's a similar kind of goofy, I don't think I'd consider most of the FF14 stuff to be buttrock:

Ah yes. Dragonsong. Classic buttrock. Answers. Buttrock. Flow. That's postmodern buttrock right there.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Buttrock is when the lead guitar sounds like farts

so grungey-metal-altrockish

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wolfsheim posted:

It's kinda funny in SoP that one party member gets all the best jobs (sage, black mage, breaker) and everyone else just has to make do with the scraps, I just did the 51-enemy postgame gauntlet and Sophia got off more ultimas than I did

Jack and Sophia just dominating bosses while the others mostly watch

Liberator is legit too but Ash doesn't know how to make it work.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
What is up with cross saves? I went into the ps4 version menu and uploaded the data and when I downloaded it to the ps5 it transferred over my levels and gear but I have to start back over at level 1, is this how it's supposed to work?

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm up to the Crystal Mirage in Stranger and right now Punchy-Monk (Lances are too unwieldy to use, and Knuckles are terrific for pressuring things) and Black Mage are a fun combo. Sage is supposed to be bonkers good, right? Should I make a beeline for that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grimthwacker posted:

I'm up to the Crystal Mirage in Stranger and right now Punchy-Monk (Lances are too unwieldy to use, and Knuckles are terrific for pressuring things) and Black Mage are a fun combo. Sage is supposed to be bonkers good, right? Should I make a beeline for that?

Sage is basically Black Mage except you also

A) Get White Magic spells (including haste which is hilarious with punches)
B) Gets to cast its spells much much faster
C) Can sacrifice the spell boost temporarily to cast a hilarious rainbow-puking death ball that nukes entire rooms. This has no MP cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This game really nailed depicting ultima as powerfully as people in other FF games describe it and everyone should experience casting it at least once

You don't necessarily need to beeline for sage if you decide that casting isn't your thing, there's other valid ways to play, but you should try it out before you put the game down