Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Liberator is legit too but Ash doesn't know how to make it work.

Neon as a Paladin is also pretty respectable, and Jed as a Ninja is a pretty effective glass cannon. Not quite as crazy-useful as Sophia as a Sage, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Some slight SoP spoiler: did I miss a secret level? Just beat the water fiend and it seemed to jump up in equip level quite a bit. All the fiend rematches are also too high too. Was there another level I could hit up and get some gear before beating the fiends once more? Digging where the story's headed though.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Some slight SoP spoiler: did I miss a secret level? Just beat the water fiend and it seemed to jump up in equip level quite a bit. All the fiend rematches are also too high too. Was there another level I could hit up and get some gear before beating the fiends once more? Digging where the story's headed though.

Nope. I had to farm the first room of the next main mission a few times to gear up so I wasn't getting crushed in one hit for the side missions and the main mission that opened up right there.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Late but as the resident "Looked too deeply into the inner workings of the Square Enixes and its game." What happened with FFXV is that Tabata was not responsible for the DLC's at all, he'd moved to head a new project in a new division, when he left the company (citing wanting to do other things, which was apparently the Paralympics RPG? did that ever come out.) He cost the company a considerable amount of money from the project he was on getting shitcanned, the "Loss" from not releasing the DLCs for the second wave of FFXV was not about the loss but about balancing the books. I.E. If we don't do these, then the money we'd have spent making these slots in to fill the gap in the fiscals for the canceled project.

It just happened to be Tabata's new project and FFXV but that's the only connection they share.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Pegasus Dream Tour absolutely launched.

And it stopped in January because they lost the Paralympics license.

Anyway Squeenix continues to be the most successful company to be run by people who don't know what they're doing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hellioning posted:

The Pegasus Dream Tour absolutely launched.

And it stopped in January because they lost the Paralympics license.

Anyway Squeenix continues to be the most successful company to be run by people who don't know what they're doing.

I mean that's proof of Babylon and Avengers and Squares desperation to have ANOTHER live service game that makes a tonne of money, when FFXIV and all there Gacha are right there, already doing that, but no we need more.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Onmi posted:

I mean that's proof of Babylon and Avengers and Squares desperation to have ANOTHER live service game that makes a tonne of money, when FFXIV and all there Gacha are right there, already doing that, but no we need more.

Now that you mention it, the fact S-E keeps failing to make new live service games is even more depressing when you know that they've got successful examples to follow just... right there.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cleretic posted:

Now that you mention it, the fact S-E keeps failing to make new live service games is even more depressing when you know that they've got successful examples to follow just... right there.

It really doesn't make sense how they're so bad at capitalizing on stupid idiots like me who just really loving love Final Fantasy.

Why wouldn't they release a PC port of FFT/FFTA/FFTA2 or continue that franchise that people really, really love? Why wouldn't they re-release their entire line-up over and over so I can buy all of it over and over. Don't make no sense.

Why not license final fantasy to CA so I can play final fantasy total war

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If they just straight ported War of the Lions and Let Us Cling Together to the PC I would buy them yesterday

(Hopefully they can fix the weird slowdown in WotL at least)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hellioning posted:

pretty sure Nintendo will hold this crown until the end of time

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Cleretic posted:

It's ridiculous, it's TRIPLE ridiculous when you remember FFXI is STILL ALIVE AND KEPT ONLINE AND EVEN GIVEN MINOR UPDATES! It still makes ENOUGH MONEY to justify keeping the servers on.

So they have XI, XIV, Record Keeper, they had the KH Mobile game they willingly shut down, they got the Dissidia mobile game, they got Theatrythem. They have so many profitable successful live service games that make money. And are STILL trying to make more, and pissing away money to do so.

IcePhoenix posted:

pretty sure Nintendo will hold this crown until the end of time

Listen there's one man working really hard on the treadmill keeping the Nintendo internet service running and he's very tired.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, of course they're fishing for more live service when Konami's gaming division is still more profitable than theirs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

I mean, of course they're fishing for more live service when Konami's gaming division is still more profitable than theirs

Did they ever fix eFootball lmao

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I spent about an hour in the PS4(pro) version of FFO and well

I never want to do that again.

"I bet there's a story behind that..."

I'm sure there is some...."bullshit"

*cranks up tunes and walks away for 5 seconds before taking them out again to change my mind and join in on killing Chaos*

what a pile of poo poo

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Going through FF6 Pixel Remaster trying to finish that up and loving hell, that Celestriad relic (turns all spells to 1 MP cost) that you get from the Brachiosaur is a loving myth

I also spent the evening trying to get it and got my party from level 40 to like... level 75. I... don't think you need to be remotely that high to fight the final boss, right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

*cranks up tunes and walks away for 5 seconds before taking them out again to change my mind and join in on killing Chaos*

what a pile of poo poo

don't sign your posts

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

what a pile of poo poo

Jesus.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Eight-Six posted:

Nope. I had to farm the first room of the next main mission a few times to gear up so I wasn't getting crushed in one hit for the side missions and the main mission that opened up right there.

It's weird, yeah. The game makes you think that you don't have the gear level required to do the mission, but the only way to get the gear is to start the mission. I mean it works, functionally, you can kill the early enemies easily enough and just equip what they drop, it's just an odd UI to choice to put a big red /!\ in front of it before you start

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SoP has to be satire. Everything about it is wrong and boring.

The combat is mundane, the "talk to people in the town" is so on the nose "come back now, ya hear" and poo poo you wouldn't hear in an indie rpg game because it's been made fun of for 30 years, the story jumps from one thread to another with sometimes just either a "later" and other times "oh ok, I guess these people who walked up to each other are friends now"

and the characters so strongly deliver lines that are half like, well, close to being google translated

it goes from fighting tiamat, to a tutorial zone, to jack walking outside of town and some dudes showing him their stones and go "friends?" and jack is just like "yeah" then it's just "jack and company did stuff and came back" with no lead up to why anyone should give a poo poo about these people

The camera control is not great, the game looks like rear end, and so far the only thing I like about it is laughing at the game for being bad and sometimes you press O to watch an absurd cutscene like a tower being knocked over or jack opening a wolf's mouth and headbutting it and it explodes in crystal shards. Like, that last two parts is cool. I've been less confused and shocked from a kojima game

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The combat is mundane, the "talk to people in the town" is so on the nose "come back now, ya hear" and poo poo you wouldn't hear in an indie rpg game because it's been made fun of for 30 years, the story jumps from one thread to another with sometimes just either a "later" and other times "oh ok, I guess these people who walked up to each other are friends now"

and the characters so strongly deliver lines that are half like, well, close to being google translated

it goes from fighting tiamat, to a tutorial zone, to jack walking outside of town and some dudes showing him their stones and go "friends?" and jack is just like "yeah" then it's just "jack and company did stuff and came back" with no lead up to why anyone should give a poo poo about these people

The camera control is not great, the game looks like rear end, and so far the only thing I like about it is laughing at the game for being bad and sometimes you press O to watch an absurd cutscene like a tower being knocked over or jack opening a wolf's mouth and headbutting it and it explodes in crystal shards. Like, that last two parts is cool. I've been less confused and shocked from a kojima game

Careful, those opinions are considered wrong and bad in these parts. You are only permitted to like Jack and his nonsense.

I mean, I think you're brave to have taken a swing and I want you to keep doing it, but you will NOT be making friends doing so.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jokes posted:

It really doesn't make sense how they're so bad at capitalizing on stupid idiots like me who just really loving love Final Fantasy.

Why wouldn't they release a PC port of FFT/FFTA/FFTA2 or continue that franchise that people really, really love? Why wouldn't they re-release their entire line-up over and over so I can buy all of it over and over. Don't make no sense.

Why not license final fantasy to CA so I can play final fantasy total war

Because it's cheaper and more profitable for them to have other companies make gacha garbage like War of the Visions. Though with all the recent remakes of old games maybe they'll eventually remember that they can port the mobile version of FFT WotL to consoles/PCs to resell it to people there.

Heath posted:

If they just straight ported War of the Lions and Let Us Cling Together to the PC I would buy them yesterday

(Hopefully they can fix the weird slowdown in WotL at least)

The slowdown in WotL has been fixed* on mobile for years. As much as I'd love to get Tactics Ogre on PC or modern consoles without having to emulate it the PSP version has so many god awful design changes that they'd need to revisit, the dumb "new character joins you, they were level 25 in that fight but their class is now level 1" leveling system and the mind-numblingly awful crafting are two must-fix issues tbh. And then of course there's the RNG and grind in the CODA which is basically a giant middle finger to the player and their free time since it's something like several hundred hours of rerunning stuff like POTD and praying/save scumming for rare drops.

* they force the animations to run faster, putting it and the sound effects out of sync because the effects end while the sounds aren't done playing yet.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I am being 100% serious when I say that I went from laughing at how B-movie weird and bad FFO was to it being my favorite Final Fantasy story by the end. The voice acting, story, and characters developed really well and everything is weird and dumb at first on purpose.

I expected to only like it ironically.

But if you don’t enjoy the combat then just drop the game because that is the entire reason to play. I thought SoP has some of the best combat of any action game (except certain enemies towards the end on hard mode can one shot you with moves that are very hard to read).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I am being 100% serious when I say that I went from laughing at how B-movie weird and bad FFO was to it being my favorite Final Fantasy story by the end. The voice acting, story, and characters developed really well and everything is weird and dumb at first on purpose.

I expected to only like it ironically.

But if you don’t enjoy the combat then just drop the game because that is the entire reason to play. I thought SoP has some of the best combat of any action game (except certain enemies towards the end on hard mode can one shot you with moves that are very hard to read).

I feel like expecting FF to go back to turn based instead of this action rpg kick its been on is probably expecting too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkj-uvg2sRU

:ughh:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I feel like expecting FF to go back to turn based instead of this action rpg kick its been on is probably expecting too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkj-uvg2sRU

:ughh:

"Action RPG Kick"

Is that what you call a decade of design choices?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Why would you buy an action game spinoff, made by the people who made Nioh, and be mad that it's an action rpg.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

“I am SO SICK of all these swords and magic in final fantasy ugh”

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
What magic words do we have to say to make 'I hope Final Fantasy goes primarily turn-based again someday because I dislike all their attempts at making them action games' a valid opinion to hold?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Careful, those opinions are considered wrong and bad in these parts. You are only permitted to like Jack and his nonsense.

I mean, I think you're brave to have taken a swing and I want you to keep doing it, but you will NOT be making friends doing so.

You were whining since the game was announced because the main character was a dude. Don't think you can act like you have some Valid Opinions that are being meanly shouted down lol.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think 'SoP being an action game makes sense' and 'Final Fantasy should be turn based again' are opinions that can coexist.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Everything should have XII’s battle system

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

HD DAD posted:

Agreed

One of the best party gathering and venturing forth simulators

Wish they did more with it. Kinda sucked to not have melee abilities (outside of mods)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

What magic words do we have to say to make 'I hope Final Fantasy goes primarily turn-based again someday because I dislike all their attempts at making them action games' a valid opinion to hold?

I don't know anything about the thread opinions on this, but I agree with your words here.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why would you buy an action game spinoff, made by the people who made Nioh, and be mad that it's an action rpg.

I didn't, it was the demo. That's what the demo is for, to see if you'd like the game.

I'm not mad it's an action rpg, although that's a negative by itself.

I'm mad because it's like when JJ Abrams made star trek movies and he doesn't even like Star Trek, thus shouldn't be allowed to touch the IP. I kept thinking how much SoP reminded me of Too Human. God....I had forgotten that game until tonight.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If it's any consolation, brain damage is a very important part of the story

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SoP kicks rear end, sorry. It's the most feminist game of 2022 (non-ironic).

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

ImpAtom posted:

Sage is basically Black Mage except you also

A) Get White Magic spells (including haste which is hilarious with punches)
B) Gets to cast its spells much much faster
C) Can sacrifice the spell boost temporarily to cast a hilarious rainbow-puking death ball that nukes entire rooms. This has no MP cost.

D) Can dual-class Sage/Sage to keep your spell boosts forever and still have two separate break bars.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If it's any consolation, brain damage is a very important part of the story

I thought it was also funny because they just show up out of the blue in "stranger's clothing" looking nothing like anyone else in the area they live in, looking like they fell out of new york into a fantasy land, and that was just completely normal to each of them, and no one else brings it up just [Grunts Acknowledgement]

I think that first hour of the game gave me brain damage

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

HD DAD posted:

XII's gameplay feels so incredibly right.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cleretic posted:

Slap a chocobo sticker on a DQ game I guess? Been headed this way since I was in college over 15 years ago.

Whenever you get the hazcom ! symbol that means any damage you take gonna bring the stagger and you won't bring stagger. Makes even skeletons annoying. Oh well.

Nearing the end and can confirm the story's pretty good. It's a slow burn then takes off like wildfire. They throw a lot at you at once but it doesn't feel rushed at all.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Literally nobody is stopping you from having any opinion you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

HD DAD posted:

XII wasn't my favorite (pretty sure it was nobody's favorite actually), but if they just decided that was how Final Fantasy was going to play from now on I wouldn't have complained.