Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

MadJackal posted:

Realistically, what's the best strategy here?

Pick up a mines and throw them in the river? Don't get blown up and delicately transfer them 50 meters away from the road?

Just throw some discarded Russian equipment on it. It will clear the road and make salvaging the scrap metal easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. PA roads have pot hole season and it sucks rear end.

Sure, pa roads can leave a lot to be desired. Telling someone from outside the US that some terribly maintained road is a good example of the average stretch of I-76 between Philly and Pittsburgh isn’t very helpful.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Now would be a nice time for the loving s300/s400s to be given to Ukraine Russia is bombing the entire country again.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

In other foolhardy news, it looks like a bunch of Russian soldiers have fallen ill from acute radiation poisoning from going through the Chernobyl exclusion zone.
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1509287796065845250?s=20&t=qOZbRHwLofgEZBNLLdwk3g
https://twitter.com/PeterCorless/status/1509314810705432581?s=20&t=qOZbRHwLofgEZBNLLdwk3g

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Young Freud posted:

In other foolhardy news, it looks like a bunch of Russian soldiers have fallen ill from acute radiation poisoning from going through the Chernobyl exclusion zone.
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1509287796065845250?s=20&t=qOZbRHwLofgEZBNLLdwk3g
https://twitter.com/PeterCorless/status/1509314810705432581?s=20&t=qOZbRHwLofgEZBNLLdwk3g

:stare:

Holy poo poo that is loving GRIM

Why the gently caress would you build trenches in one of the most highly radioactive places on the planet?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TulliusCicero posted:

Why the gently caress would you build trenches in one of the most highly radioactive places on the planet?

Nobody told them about the radiation hazard, probably.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Young Freud posted:

thats honestly just really depressing. i bet you these dudes didnt even know they were in Chernobyl.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Nobody told them about the radiation hazard.

Who ordered that poo poo?

My god the Officer corp of the Russian military is dumpster tier and even getting their own men killed.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The level of crippling that they're doing is really loving ridiculous. I mean I guess they basically in a way given up the attack on North ukraine, let's not call Victor yet. But they're playing now is to basically bomb the entire country into poverty. Which seems like a complete waste. I mean you want to take these places over and yet Putin is turning them into piles of ashes.

I guess in a way this shows that Russia is continuing with their predetermined theory that NATO / the EU won't get involved in any meaningful way. What I mean by this is Ukraine would need a huge loan to get the country back to even 75% of its economic prowess. I mean it basically needs a Marshall plan style aid to get out of the massive hole that Russia put it into. Yes holding the country is a great win but they're not going to stop bombing the troops are backing up which means they're going to continue bombing and bomb probably more indiscriminately. It's like Gaza/West Bank on steroids with the amount of destruction.

The long game in this is will zelensky be able to stay in power after the war? And I don't mean for the first few months of the war, I mean overall will this democratic government be able to climb out of the sinkhole that Russia put it into?

If Russia pulled every single troop out of everything they don't already own what's to stop them from just continuously bombing Ukraine indefinitely? (S400s and s300s yeah) I mean if Russia would have bomb Ukraine for the next 6 months would NATO even do anything at that point? Especially when permanent annihilation is on the table?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TulliusCicero posted:

Who ordered that poo poo?

My god the Officer corp of the Russian military is dumpster tier and even getting their own men killed.

Given what we've seen elsewhere I doubt the junior officers had any clue about the radiation hazard either. Think they bothered giving detailed briefings on the exclusion zone to every battalion-level officer?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Given what we've seen elsewhere I doubt the junior officers had any clue about the radiation hazard either. Think they bothered giving detailed briefings on the exclusion zone to every battalion-level officer?

Ahem

3 rads.

Not bad.

Get the shovels

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The level of crippling that they're doing is really loving ridiculous. I mean I guess they basically in a way given up the attack on North ukraine, let's not call Victor yet. But they're playing now is to basically bomb the entire country into poverty. Which seems like a complete waste. I mean you want to take these places over and yet Putin is turning them into piles of ashes.

I guess in a way this shows that Russia is continuing with their predetermined theory that NATO / the EU won't get involved in any meaningful way. What I mean by this is Ukraine would need a huge loan to get the country back to even 75% of its economic prowess. I mean it basically needs a Marshall plan style aid to get out of the massive hole that Russia put it into. Yes holding the country is a great win but they're not going to stop bombing the troops are backing up which means they're going to continue bombing and bomb probably more indiscriminately. It's like Gaza/West Bank on steroids with the amount of destruction.

The long game in this is will zelensky be able to stay in power after the war? And I don't mean for the first few months of the war, I mean overall will this democratic government be able to climb out of the sinkhole that Russia put it into?

If Russia pulled every single troop out of everything they don't already own what's to stop them from just continuously bombing Ukraine indefinitely? (S400s and s300s yeah) I mean if Russia would have bomb Ukraine for the next 6 months would NATO even do anything at that point? Especially when permanent annihilation is on the table?

At the rate this is going Russia won't have an army left to bomb anyone *with* in another few months.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Young Freud posted:

Karma is a bitch sometimes.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Young Freud posted:

I saw that, but I'm still waiting on more details before I believe it. I'll take it with a bite of my Himalayan salt lamp.

Because no one is going to dig in Red Forest for no reason? Right?

...right?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

There is a little green man glowing blue in my back yard

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Missing Name posted:

I saw that, but I'm still waiting on more details before I believe it. I'll take it with a bite of my Himalayan salt lamp.

...right?

If they didn't know, and were not issued Geiger counters, how the hell would they be aware?

Chances are they didn't know where they were.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo that is loving GRIM

Missing Name posted:

...right?

The trenches part in Ukrainian is phrased so that it could equally be just mocking them, as in “how did you dumbfucks get rad disease, digging loving trenches?”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The trenches part in Ukrainian is phrased so that it could equally be just mocking them, as in “how did you dumbfucks get rad disease, digging loving trenches?”

I'm rather concerned that they actually got sick from stealing form the labs in Chernobyl, since supposedly they destroyed a lab used for studying isotopes from reactor 4.

Nothing like grabbing what you think is a harmless piece of junk as a memento, but is actually a very dangerous radioactive source.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CommieGIR posted:

Karma is a bitch sometimes.

Eh, it's not Putin and his generals getting radiation sickness.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Eh, it's not Putin and his generals getting radiation sickness.

It's the troops fault for not turning their mosins on their commanders, comrade.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
ICRC statement about the warehouse in Mariupol.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1509321414133878788

Seems like they could've left out the "we don't know what it has been used for since" part out, but maybe it's just a hardline neutrality thing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
At this point if it wasn't likely a violation of the Geneva convention painting red cross symbols on the roofs of random abandoned warehouses wouldn't be a bad strategy. Let the Russians waste bombs on places that were going to get torn down anyway.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Is that even realistic? We heard of Ossetians deploying maybe a week ago, I think?

We heard of *Russian troops stationed in Ossetia* moving to Ukraine a week ago. These are stated to be ethnic Ossetian troops, and ethnic minority soldiers appear to have borne an outsized amount of the burden of deployment so far.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were at least at Donbas, which isn't that much closer to Ossetia. The post says they were in Ukraine

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

dr_rat posted:

At this point if it wasn't likely a violation of the Geneva convention painting red cross symbols on the roofs of random abandoned warehouses wouldn't be a bad strategy. Let the Russians waste bombs on places that were going to get torn down anyway.

Unironically at this point would be a better idea to put red cross symbols and labels like "civilians" or "children" on everything but where they actually are. Russia is trying to bomb Ukraine into submission, which means terrorizing it's people by any means possible. Labelling anything for the sake of mercy will only get it targeted faster.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Huh, some angry Russian spies here or something as various online providers warning me state sponsored actors trying to break into my poo poo. The gently caress is wrong with people

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Celexi posted:

Huh, some angry Russian spies here or something as various online providers warning me state sponsored actors trying to break into my poo poo. The gently caress is wrong with people

Those warnings are from state sponsored actors, or criminals, using current events to manipulate you into logging on to their site to change your password. Oddly, most of the phishing of that nature is coming from Georgia - at least the ones I'm getting.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukraine must be given s500s to stop the Russian bombings.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

the popes toes posted:

Those warnings are from state sponsored actors, or criminals, using current events to manipulate you into logging on to their site to change your password. Oddly, most of the phishing of that nature is coming from Georgia - at least the ones I'm getting.

No it's from Google as well as my pixel was demanding attention to it and suggesting I enable advanced protection asap

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CommieGIR posted:

I'm rather concerned that they actually got sick from stealing form the labs in Chernobyl, since supposedly they destroyed a lab used for studying isotopes from reactor 4.

Nothing like grabbing what you think is a harmless piece of junk as a memento, but is actually a very dangerous radioactive source.

Sorta like grabbing a piece of the Berlin wall, except it's a chip of elephant foot.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Celexi posted:

No it's from Google as well as my pixel was demanding attention to it and suggesting I enable advanced protection asap

You should view the message source and examine the routes. Failing that, log out and use links outside the email to log back in and change passwords. Best not to use links in any email received.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

When I go to Ukraine, I shall have lobster and oysters.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Very skeptical to this. Extraordinary claims etc. But perhaps they were tasked to capture some material or something and hosed it up / were hosed up by superiors not equipping or instructing them properly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ola posted:

Very skeptical to this. Extraordinary claims etc. But perhaps they were tasked to capture some material or something and hosed it up / were hosed up by superiors not equipping or instructing them properly.
It seems completely plausible that if they went around disturbing the poo poo in the zone they could get a lot of radiation, especially if they inhaled dust or put it in their food, or were making campfires from contaminated forest stuff, or whatever. Weren't there Russian tanks getting pretty near the Spiciest Building?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

It seems completely plausible that if they went around disturbing the poo poo in the zone they could get a lot of radiation, especially if they inhaled dust or put it in their food, or were making campfires from contaminated forest stuff, or whatever. Weren't there Russian tanks getting pretty near the Spiciest Building?

Yeah, there was a lot of concern that the Russians moving through the area were disturbing the buried radioactive earth with tanks and trucks early in the war, setting off the radiation detectors beyond normal limits. The Russian army probably tried to fortify their positions and didn't realize where they were.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Or they did, but didn't realize that the forest is also contaminated. Or how bad is it in the woods.
I didn't.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The head of French Directorate of Military Intelligence has been sacked because apparently they suck at it regarding the Russian invasion.

https://www.france24.com/fr/france/...s-remerci%C3%A9

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nessus posted:

Sure, but it just has the story hallmarks of a feather turning in to a five chickens (per second), which happens whenever ATOMS are involved. "Acute radiation syndrome" requires a big dose and doesn't seem to be mentioned in the source. Victims would probably be radioactive too, so there would be a very big hubbub in receiving them. I think the most likely scenario, if there is any at all, is that they were in a bad area and someone later said "gently caress, better get them checked out" even though they had zero symptoms.

The exclusion zone itself isn't radioactive enough to give you serious symptoms with even a month's exposure. If it was, wind and weather would be spreading harmful radiation constantly anyway. That said, if anyone were to find some odd way of loving this up badly, perhaps trying to sabotage the active power plant, obviously it would be the dumb Russians.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Posting this because it looks like some here bought into the BS.

This is a great video for debunking the myth that the Russians are just playing some sort've long con here and are purposely sandbagging things:

This was in itself impossible. Russia will have thrown all the best they had into this from the start because at the start of the war. Ukraine only had their standing professional military forces. But every day that passes lets them mobilize more and more trained personnel from the civilian population and make the invasion more difficult.

Early victory was very important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Charlotte Hornets posted:

The head of French Directorate of Military Intelligence has been sacked because apparently they suck at it regarding the Russian invasion.

https://www.france24.com/fr/france/...s-remerci%C3%A9

That has a certain smell, a slight odeur du fromage. Perhaps he has some suspicious connections as well? By the way I like how French makes musical chairs, "jeux de chaises musicales", sound like something you have to wear formal attire when attending.