Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why the hell would you radically rearrange Time's Scar of all things, that's maybe the most iconic piece of music in the entire game.

Heath posted:

They're not bad on their own. But they feel like SE handed the songs to individual artists and said here, reinterpret this song, so rather than being the cohesive vision of a soundtrack that the original is, we have several disparate styles that sound kind of familiar but don't mesh together in the way the original's Celtic-Caribbean fusion does.

Yeah if this was like a "here are some fun arrangements of the tracks" album release or something it'd be one thing, but as the only option for the remaster it makes no sense at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Shame.

I suppose that's $40 saved at least.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I like when the computer asks you a question, Neon grunts and nods and that's apparently picked up on by the computer.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Cleretic hates Jack as much as Jack hates Chaos so I think we all know the real reason for their obsession. :tinfoil:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Mainline Final Fantasy is likely never going to be turn based again.

And people don't have to like that, but the sooner it's accepted that the series just isn't for them anymore the sooner they can move on.

:hai:

I don't like it as a direction for the series but I know it's not gonna change and at least Square Enix will sometimes put out throwback turn-based games in that kinda vein so that's definitely better than nothing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Cleretic hates Jack as much as Jack hates Chaos so I think we all know the real reason for their obsession. :tinfoil:

Cleretic is Chaos?

Incidentally, I enjoy how Sophia is your stereotypical creepy, vampy JRPG villainess... except for the minor detail that she's not remotely evil, she's just your mom-friend. Just look at how she reacts when you drink too many potions in a row.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Evil Fluffy posted:

No, I have other things going on with my life and am just disappointed Jack exists as a largely unrelated part of it. Jack basically has nothing else on his agenda but Chaos.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Cleretic is Chaos?

Incidentally, I enjoy how Sophia is your stereotypical creepy, vampy JRPG villainess... except for the minor detail that she's not remotely evil, she's just your mom-friend. Just look at how she reacts when you drink too many potions in a row.

Yeah it is funny how she looks prime to betray you but nah she is just a cool mom.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
No admiration for a man with focus and dedication. Typical!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Characters in media don't develop and have arcs right? What you see if what you get right? Jack only wants to kill Chaos for no reason other than epic memes man right? There's no story to the game and no motivation or twist or anything am I right?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Calaveron posted:

Characters in media don't develop and have arcs right? What you see if what you get right? Jack only wants to kill Chaos for no reason other than epic memes man right? There's no story to the game and no motivation or twist or anything am I right?

Personally I only engage with the first 5 minutes of every piece of media and confidently judge it entirely on those merits. Idk why they named the movie Robocop, looks like a normal guy to me. 2/10, like fave and subscribe to cinemasins

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Jack could transform into a timeless existential icon transcending media to the status of timeless art and it wouldn't matter. "I'm going to kill chaos" is camp as gently caress and some people are allergic to camp and that's ok.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

pretty soft girl posted:

Personally I only engage with the first 5 minutes of every piece of media and confidently judge it entirely on those merits. Idk why they named the movie Robocop, looks like a normal guy to me. 2/10, like fave and subscribe to cinemasins

To be fair the first five minutes of the game sold me on Jack :shobon:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To be fair to the Jack-haters, SoP is absolutely taking a risk with the way it opens, and you are always going to lose people who are turned off by what a story appears to be early on. That's just how it goes.

It's also worth mentioning that the game does have a real story, with actual character development and twists and interesting things going on. Maybe knowing that is enough for someone to want to give it a real go, maybe it isn't, but :shrug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't just like camp, I wear a hockey mask and stalk highschoolers there year after year.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It sounds more like that the delivery needs work, if the story is better later on.

It's much easier to just attribute it to incompetence rather than maliciousness though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah it is funny how she looks prime to betray you but nah she is just a cool mom.

I mean, she never actually stops being kind of spooky, but it soon becomes clear that that's just how she is and it's no big deal.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Cleretic posted:

No, I have other things going on with my life and am just disappointed Jack exists as a largely unrelated part of it. Jack basically has nothing else on his agenda but Chaos.

That's objectively not true but okay

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It sounds more like that the delivery needs work, if the story is better later on.

It's much easier to just attribute it to incompetence rather than maliciousness though.

It's quite competent, the problem is one of taste

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Complaining about Stranger of Paradise is impossible. Any points you make can be retorted by someone saying "bullshit *plays limp bizkit and walks away*" and there's no coming back from that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I mean it's done completely intentionally. That the beginning doesn't reveal what the story is really about isn't a mistake, it's a choice. To keep it vague, the reason Jack and friends are dressed like they are and behave like they do is a setup for a twist later. If it didn't work for you, yeah, that's fair, but that doesn't mean there's any incompetence or malice.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Harrow posted:

To be fair to the Jack-haters, SoP is absolutely taking a risk with the way it opens, and you are always going to lose people who are turned off by what a story appears to be early on. That's just how it goes.

It's also worth mentioning that the game does have a real story, with actual character development and twists and interesting things going on. Maybe knowing that is enough for someone to want to give it a real go, maybe it isn't, but :shrug:

Tbh I can't imagine looking at a story where it's repeatedly and explicitly explained early on that the protagonist has forgotten who he is and what his motivations are, and confidently concluding he wont discover both of those things and his initial characterization is going to remain steady and unchanging for the entirety of a 15-30 hour game

Sure if his initial characterization is that off-putting I wouldn't blame someone for not wanting to engage with it, that was my initial response until this thread got me on the hype train, but it's baffling to me that someone would speak with such confident authority on something when they didn't play it

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Love the cutscene where Jack and Sarah listen to an MP3 player together.

This is a real scene in the game

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

pretty soft girl posted:

Tbh I can't imagine looking at a story where it's repeatedly and explicitly explained early on that the protagonist has forgotten who he is and what his motivations are, and confidently concluding he wont discover both of those things and his initial characterization is going to remain steady and unchanging for the entirety of a 15-30 hour game

Sure if his initial characterization is that off-putting I wouldn't blame someone for not wanting to engage with it, that was my initial response until this thread got me on the hype train, but it's baffling to me that someone would speak with such confident authority on something when they didn't play it

It only makes sense if you see Jack and the fact that it's an action RPG and conclude that the game is for those dumb meathead jocks who normally skip cutscenes and don't appreciate nuanced characters

It's like, if you continue to hold this position in the face of an entire thread of people telling you that, no, your initial impression is unfounded, it really just comes down to your own bias, sorry

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

pretty soft girl posted:

it's baffling to me that someone would speak with such confident authority on something when they didn't play it

New to the internet, huh

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Rosalie_A posted:

New to the internet, huh

Somehow 30 years of participating in this hellscape still hasn't clued me into how things work around here

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Alxprit posted:

Complaining about Stranger of Paradise is impossible. Any points you make can be retorted by someone saying "bullshit *plays limp bizkit and walks away*" and there's no coming back from that.

That retort itself sets up a trap too, where if you reject it you just get more of its ilk, but if you play along with it as if it's... you know, a joke, then you get ridiculed for not knowing better despite the fact it's at this point impossible not to.

I get that Jack's more than 'hate Chaos'. I don't care, he's still not an interesting character and he still isn't in a game I like. But if you're gonna pull the 'Cleretic hates Jack like Jack hates Chaos' then it's ridiculous to attack me for playing on the same level.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

That retort itself sets up a trap too, where if you reject it you just get more of its ilk, but if you play along with it as if it's... you know, a joke, then you get ridiculed for not knowing better despite the fact it's at this point impossible not to.

I get that Jack's more than 'hate Chaos'. I don't care, he's still not an interesting character and he still isn't in a game I like. But if you're gonna pull the 'Cleretic hates Jack like Jack hates Chaos' then it's ridiculous to attack me for playing on the same level.

Shut the gently caress uuuuuuuuuup

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is a very good game that I enjoy.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Shut the gently caress uuuuuuuuuup

*walks away blasting Mudvayne*

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Heath posted:

It only makes sense if you see Jack and the fact that it's an action RPG and conclude that the game is for those dumb meathead jocks who normally skip cutscenes and don't appreciate nuanced characters

It's like, if you continue to hold this position in the face of an entire thread of people telling you that, no, your initial impression is unfounded, it really just comes down to your own bias, sorry

https://youtu.be/QAjZj8XMPz0

This seems to disagree with you lol

Jack clearly doesn't like monologuing, which the consistency is cool, but also, I want the monologuing. I live for that poo poo in stories.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

best thing about stranger of paradise is they turned astos, a little speedbump on the road to Lich, into an actual character

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Jack clearly doesn't like monologuing, which the consistency is cool, but also, I want the monologuing. I live for that poo poo in stories.

it's okay if the game isn't for you

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Everything should have XII’s battle system

This is a pretty funny way to spell X-2, but I guess it does have X and the roman numeral for 2 in it

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Just tell me about the goddang crystals, that's all I wanna know

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of Stranger of Paradise, I'm curious what people's favorite job setups are, since I haven't really been posting here about it at all.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well yeah, he's had his memories and personality erased and replaced with a single-minded purpose for nefarious reasons, so of course he's like that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'll accept FFX or FFXV combat. Link striking with Ragnarok was amazingly broken and I love bending a game over my knee to trivialize it

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Vitamean posted:

SOP asks the important questions, like "what if Cecil and his party didn't just ineffectually stand there half the time while the bad guy did their bad guy things"

I just replayed 4 before getting into SOP and SOP has been a breath of fresh air really

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

People actually like 12's battle system? What battle system is even there to like? If you make your main a melee character enjoy slow rear end auto attacking for the entire 50 hours. At least you'll get a lot of naps in!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vitamean posted:

best thing about stranger of paradise is they turned astos, a little speedbump on the road to Lich, into an actual character

Astos rules yeah. His whole "who am i?" scene in the last stretch was really well done, I like how it's set up so that the player is just as confused as Jack until you piece it together later and realize what a dick you must have sounded like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If we're talking favorite combat systems I would be very happy to have more FFs that iterate on X's turn-based combat, X-2's version of ATB, or VII Remake's action combat. Those are my three favorite battle systems in the series.

I'm curious to see how XVI actually plays once they can show some more complete gameplay from it.