Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Just :staredog: @ everything in this post.

Boat posting isn't super important for this war so far but it's led to some of the more :wtf: moments, and it's the chance of those that makes me check my boat twitter dudes at least once a day.

If anyone wants an overview of what's happened militarily in that arena so far one of em published an article today
https://twitter.com/KaptainLOMA/status/1509586037516947458?s=20&t=eBK3dO1vQe45DmDcamM8uA
Link: https://marineschepen.nl/nieuws/Schiet-de-Zwarte-Zee-Vloot-tekort-310322.html
It's a good quick read. The author/twitter guy bio: Former officer of the Belgian Navy and current naval analyst studying and reporting on the Russian Navy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

MikeC posted:

But if the fighting is sustained, the autoloader wins in the long run.

...depending on where the shells being selected by the gunner are positioned in the autoloader carousel. Also only until said carousel is out of readied shells of that type, at which point manual loading is required which is extremely slow.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Makes me wonder if the've even disembarked these guys at all in the past few weeks. Keeping troops cramped up on landing ships drives them nuts and tires them out.

Comedy option: the vessels land and the troops spill out but they're all already dead, having starved to death weeks earlier.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I don't give a gently caress if sanctions make the elite rally around Putin. They were already at best guilty of aiding and abetting him. Sanctions will make it harder for Russia to continue the war and replace lost equipment and that in itself is more than enough reason to keep it up.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Feel good post:

Ukrainian ambassador to the UN continues to find diplomatic ways to :flip: at the Russians
https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1509550947965542418?s=20&t=NMd-9Sb_KolukLwYgWPBRA
Including making sure it was an English copy so everyone could get the barb.

It delights me.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Makes me wonder if the've even disembarked these guys at all in the past few weeks. Keeping troops cramped up on landing ships drives them nuts and tires them out.

I think some of them were disembarked in Sevastopol’ to stretch legs, and some were definitely sent into Mariupol’ via the formation that got hit in Berdyansk.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Man, I wouldn't have guessed that it would be that much higher, but that low is surprising. That's pretty much margin of error off of zero

They’re fighting against 70+ years of the best American Cold War propaganda had to offer, on its biggest and longest consumer audience: the Boomers.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

MikeC posted:

It would be borderline suicide to land right now and it doesn't match their objective of securing the Donbas. More likely a demonstration to force the Ukrainians to keep forces in the south and prevent them from reinforcing the east. Just curious how he knows they are loaded and if there is information on which units are on those landing vessels.

Checking the freeboard of the ship would be the easiest way to see if the ship is loaded, assuming you can get a decent side view of them, but this only tells you that the ship is loaded with SOMETHING. Hypothetically if you got all your naval infantry killed in, say, Mariupol, but you wanted to create a landing-force-in-being to tie up Ukrainian forces in Odessa you could fill the landing ships full of sandbags painted in camo with styrofoam helmets strapped on or similar ballast to load it down. Would be a clever, if fuel-expensive way of tying down much-needed Ukrainian forces if you don't have enough troops to actually make a landing.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Tomn posted:

Checking the freeboard of the ship would be the easiest way to see if the ship is loaded, assuming you can get a decent side view of them, but this only tells you that the ship is loaded with SOMETHING. Hypothetically if you got all your naval infantry killed in, say, Mariupol, but you wanted to create a landing-force-in-being to tie up Ukrainian forces in Odessa you could fill the landing ships full of sandbags painted in camo with styrofoam helmets strapped on or similar ballast to load it down. Would be a clever, if fuel-expensive way of tying down much-needed Ukrainian forces if you don't have enough troops to actually make a landing.

Good idea for a competent and sane military, like those inflatable tanks and fake towns Britain used to screw with the Luftwaffe in WW2.

But of course this is 2022's Russian military, so I'm going to bet the ship is loaded more like what another poster suggested: all the vehicles and ammo for an amphibious landing, and a pile of literal skeletons who no one has supplied or thought to check on since February 24th.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tomn posted:

Which is why we must finally sink this junk asap to free up resources for defense elsewhere

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Orthanc6 posted:

Good idea for a competent and sane military, like those inflatable tanks and fake towns Britain used to screw with the Luftwaffe in WW2.

But of course this is 2022's Russian military, so I'm going to bet the ship is loaded more like what another poster suggested: all the vehicles and ammo for an amphibious landing, and a pile of literal skeletons who no one has supplied or thought to check on since February 24th.

...But on the papers presented to Putin those skeletons are already approaching Kyiv from South, and are about to complete the encirclement any day now!

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Cross posting and I regret nothing
There's been some really good interviews with Ukrainian fighter pilots - link to a personal favorite, I think it was posted already:
https://coffeeordie.com/ukrainian-mig-29-pilot-interview/

Hmm a Mig-29. And he talks about how low they fly to avoid detection.

Well a video just popped up on my Ukraine feed
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1509622003711500288?t=Fgk-pDpoY60094tW3TtuGQ&s=19

Pretty...pretty loving low :stare:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

When the offshore Russians start loading inflatable boats with riot police to storm the Odesa shore first, then you'll know the balloon has gone up.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Freudian slippers posted:

I don't give a gently caress if sanctions make the elite rally around Putin.
Same here.

For all their supposed opposition they didn't do much if anything to stop his excesses and they were only ever in it for the money. As the article notes too its still very early on in the sanctions so there really isn't a tremendous amount of issues yet. If the sanctions continue towards the end of the year at minimum (dunno if they will but I suspect so) I wouldn't be surprised if a whole lot of these elite Richie Rich's suddenly turn out to be fair weather friends and change their position.

Not that it'll matter. Going by the article it sounds like Putin never was going to listen to them anyhow.

And yeah at least some of the sanctions will have to be kept up for a long long time to ham string any rearmament process they're going to attempt after this. I actually don't much care if clothes or consumer electronics are sanctioned or not, letting the average Russian Joe Vodka have their PS5 and Victoria's Secret isn't a concern at all, but tech and materials that are used by their military should be as hard to get as possible for a good long time after this.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm hearing some very interesting hot takes from more Russian friendly (but non-Russian) media.

Some points they're making:

-The Russian military operation has achieved all of its tactical objectives- disabling most of the mobility and offensive capability of the Ukrainian military thus preventing them from being able to launch offensive operations into contested seized territories. (Because they lack combined arms (air support/artillery) so they can't assault dug in positions anymore).
-That Donetsk and Luhansk were the goals all along and Russia has achieved this so they're gonna push to force Ukraine to recognize it while having no military means to retake those places.
-Western support for Ukraine isn't actually materializing and Ukraine is mostly operating on weaponry that was already delivered pre-invasion. In other words, all those claims of UK, USA etc sending X weaponry to Ukraine is not really happening and is just posturing to show the public they're doing something about this without really doing anything because it would piss off Russia. In other words the Ukranians have run out of ATGMs, heavy artillery and SAMs.

Now I want to add I do not want any of this to be true. But It does make you wonder if the Ukrainians are getting the help they need, and quickly enough for it to matter in the overall conflict. All the territory they're taking back around Kiev sounds like it's happening because the Russians are withdrawing rather than contesting those territories.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm hearing some very interesting hot takes from more Russian friendly (but non-Russian) media.

-The Russian military operation has achieved all of its tactical objectives- disabling most of the mobility and offensive capability of the Ukrainian military thus preventing them from being able to launch offensive operations into contested seized territories. (Because they lack combined arms (air support/artillery) so they can't assault dug in positions anymore).
-That Donetsk and Luhansk were the goals all along and Russia has achieved this so they're gonna push to force Ukraine to recognize it while having no military means to retake those places.
-Western support for Ukraine isn't actually materializing and Ukraine is mostly operating on weaponry that was already delivered pre-invasion. In other words, all those claims of UK, USA etc sending X weaponry to Ukraine is not really happening and is just posturing to show the public they're doing something about this without really doing anything because it would piss off Russia. In other words the Ukranians have run out of ATGMs, heavy artillery and SAMs.

Now I want to add I do not want any of this to be true. But It does make you wonder if the Ukrainians are getting the help they need, and quickly enough for it to matter in the overall conflict. All the territory they're taking back around Kiev sounds like it's happening because the Russians are withdrawing rather than contesting those territories.

Why would you be taking Russia-friendly sources seriously? They haven't been particularly accurate about much of anything thus far.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Kraftwerk posted:

The US not using an opportunity to flood a warzone with weapons is a bold claim regardless of source.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kraftwerk posted:

- But they didn't do any of that? In fact Ukraine remains very mobile and offensively capable.
- Man, nobody tell them that the Ukrainians are already encroaching LNR/DNR territory
- Yeah that last point is blatantly untrue even with the :words: that Germany and the UK have thrown around to try to garner attention.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Russian Friendly sources is some absolutely massive COPE right now, so they could have value as humor at least.

What is the latest Tankie/ chud take?

Is Russia still bluffing and the Bear will soon awaken in all its fury?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kraftwerk posted:

what about russia's actions make it seem reasonable russia would withdraw from conquered territory that wasn't actually being contested?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have no idea if this was posted before

nms https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1509485974971166731

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Well that's what the other side is saying. I just wanted a fact check in this thread because more than anything I want to see the Russians lose somewhere and decisively.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kraftwerk posted:

Well that's what the other side is saying. I just wanted a fact check in this thread because more than anything I want to see the Russians lose somewhere and decisively.

there is no reason russia would be withdrawing if it wasn't going to get pushed out of that area if it didn't

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

actually not gonna address this because other people are.

I will add this - The Russians appear to be abandoning their foothold north of the Dnprio, AKA the only way they were going to be able to move on Odesa in any reasonable fashion AKA giving up their only shot at shutting Ukraine off from ports entirely.
https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1509622722976006151?s=20&t=NMd-9Sb_KolukLwYgWPBRA
Does this seem like a military that's confident it's opponent is running out of offensive power to you?

And even if Ukraine *was* running out of offensive power reducing the number of fronts they're fighting on by pulling troops back allows Ukraine to move their forces to the same places Russia is moving theirs. And Ukraine can move them FASTER because they have interior lines.

In other words you need less copium addicted sources.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

The issue is they're being rolled up slowly compared to the start of the invasion, but Ukraine is taking more territory than they're losing excluding Kiev. Most of what I'm seeing is infantry action in villages in the countryside so it's not super dramatic.

https://liveuamap.com/ is a good way to keep track of the little towns that are being liberated.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

The Russians are losing ground northwest of Kyiv, east of Kyiv, around Chernihiv, the siege of Sumy has been broken, and Ukrainian troops are mopping up in Kerson oblast west of the Dnieper in the last two days.

They've been losing lots of ground all over the place. The only place they haven't has been in the Donbas, where it remains mostly a stalemate.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Deteriorata posted:

The Russians are losing ground northwest of Kyiv, east of Kyiv, around Chernihiv, the siege of Sumy has been broken, and Ukrainian troops are mopping up in Kerson oblast west of the Dnieper in the last two days.

They've been losing lots of ground all over the place. The only place they haven't has been in the Donbas, where it remains mostly a stalemate.

It's all part of an ingenous trap! RUSSIA WILL WIN IT'S WAR AGAINST INTERNATIONAL JEW-UUUUHH, NAZIS AND GLOBALISTS :byodood:

If Russia is winning the war then their propaganda is so good at misdirection they have convinced themselves they are losing

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 31, 2022

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Tomn posted:

This is a gross over estimation of their tactical acumen as vividly demonstrated by Russia during their invasion of Ukraine.

However if you are saying that they are actually going to attempt an amphibious assault with a hold full of sandbags wearing helmets, then I 100% believe this will happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If nothing else Ukraine hasn't really been quiet about its requests for more stuff. If they hadn't gotten anything I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be a secret

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

KitConstantine posted:

There's been some really good interviews with Ukrainian fighter pilots - link to a personal favorite, I think it was posted already:
https://coffeeordie.com/ukrainian-mig-29-pilot-interview/

Hmm a Mig-29. And he talks about how low they fly to avoid detection.

Well a video just popped up on my Ukraine feed
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1509622003711500288?t=Fgk-pDpoY60094tW3TtuGQ&s=19

Pretty...pretty loving low :stare:

Jesus I was thinking they were talking at flying at like 1500-2500 meters. That seems sub 1000. No wonder why US pilots and the Ukrainians themselves say they do some crazy stuff. Especially at that speed, that is at least 275 knots.

There are some US aircraft that can do that, most notably the B-1B but it has specialized systems to allow them to fly like that even still it is incredible dangerous. On a MiG-29 that is almost suicidal.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I think that Russian adherents generally seem to be holding an idea that somehow if they are able to "achieve their true objectives" then they will have won and the war will be over. But the Ukrainians basically see this whole conflict as the continuation of a war they've been fighting for eight years now. The Russians are retreating from Kyiv, they're still struggling to seize Donbas, the Belarusians aren't reinforcing them, their military and economy is in tatters, Ukrainian troops are training and redeploying and western arms continue to pour into the country. Every week it appears that the Ukrainian position is strengthened. I don't think this war is particularly close to being over.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kraftwerk posted:

Sure I don't mind occasionally seeing what their take is.

D/L NR were cearly always the most they could realistically get away with. But at this point nobody is buying that everything else was a diversion, you don't just send your paratroopers on sucidie missions as a distraction. Obviously they inflicted damage on the Ukrainian military but I don't see how they can spin this as denazification or demilitarization which is what they were claiming this whole time. They shot down some planes but it's not like Ukraine would've been free to use them near the border with all the SAMs on the other side anyway. Plus those Polish Migs will show up sooner or later.

At the same time they're withdrawing in many places, which is dumb if they could've used those positions in negotiations to get recognition for their stupid republics.

As for wester weapons, clearly there's some hesitation about the actual heavyweight poo poo like the plans and SAMs but it seems that ATGM and other lighter supplies are making it through. Hard to say what exactly is arraving obviously.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

TulliusCicero posted:

What is the latest Tankie/ chud take?
I don't know about chuds, but the tankie chat seems to be: Russia will come out of this stronger than ever and will form a new socialist/communist anti-imperialist axis with China, North Korea, Iran, and Venezuela that will be able to counter NATO and The West. The new axis will liberate oppressed minorities from their capitalist masters like how Russia is liberating the Russian minorities in Ukraine.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 31, 2022

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Russia will come out of this stronger than ever and will form a new anti-imperialist axis with China, North Korea, Iran, and Venezuela that will be able to counter NATO and The West. The new axis will liberate oppressed minorities from their capitalist masters like how Russia is liberating the Russian minorities in Ukraine.

Don't forget Brazil and South Africa. The petrodollar's days are over!

(Meanwhile in reality those countries trade quite a bit with China, Germany, and the United States, and have no interest in creating a USSR 2.0).

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 31, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Djarum posted:

Jesus I was thinking they were talking at flying at like 1500-2500 meters. That seems sub 1000. No wonder why US pilots and the Ukrainians themselves say they do some crazy stuff. Especially at that speed, that is at least 275 knots.

There are some US aircraft that can do that, most notably the B-1B but it has specialized systems to allow them to fly like that even still it is incredible dangerous. On a MiG-29 that is almost suicidal.

1500m wouldn't be very low at all, that's like a few hundred max. Although it does climb at the end there so maybe it was after takeoff or something :shrug:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Kraftwerk posted:

Regardless of second-guessing, what are these Russia-friendly sources? Having the source material and context for discussion would help.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

mobby_6kl posted:

1500m wouldn't be very low at all, that's like a few hundred max. Although it does climb at the end there so maybe it was after takeoff or something :shrug:

The Swedish airforce practise low level flying at 60 meters, which is about twice as high as during the cold war, when they accepted some pretty harrowing losses, so I assume the Ukranians fly far lowe than a 1000 m in actual combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxASTKno0gg

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

KitConstantine posted:

Each time I read about those fighter pilots I think it's criminal that we haven't been sending them more jets. Just send them all the MIGs we have goddammit, air power is sooo important and we should be doing everything we can to make Ukraine win the air war.

Also start training pilots on Western jets so that if the war isn't over in a few months we can send them those too.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Kaal posted:

Don't forget Brazil and South Africa. The petrodollar's days are over!

(Meanwhile in reality those countries trade quite a bit with China, Germany, and the United States, and have no interest in creating a USSR 2.0).

Also South Africa’s economic trajectory right now is the opposite of a rising star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Djarum posted:

That article was really great. A dumb aside I'm finding some humorous irony that because of Covid delays, we're getting Top Gun 2 this May even though it's been good to go since 2020, which was just long enough for whatever fake-war scenario they came up with for that film to look like small fries compared to the actual peer-to-peer air combat now happening over Ukraine.

With things that actually matter; along with all the other things being learned about tanks, drones and logistics in modern warfare, the entire US Air Force better be glued to the intel they're getting from this air war. This has got to be one of the starkest "student replaces the teacher" scenarios in military history. US pilots have way more flying hours but nothing compares to being under constant threat from superior air and ground opponents at all times.

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 31, 2022