Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Tomn posted:

I'm actually kinda concerned about the future after this war. Like back in WW2 one of the big things was delivering a total defeat to the Axis powers to prevent any future "stab in the back" myths like from WW1, making it absolutely, entirely, and completely crystal clear that they lost, they lost hard, and that ultimately the future they were fighting for was a pretty twisted one - and that wasn't possible without completely and utterly destroying the armed forces of the Axis and totally occupying the nation to both impose terms and to provide access to worldwide news about what the hell was actually happening outside of state propaganda.

But now that nukes are in play that won't and can't happen. You might beat back an invasion, as Ukraine might possibly do, but you can't go into the aggressive nation anymore and shove the truth down their throats. The propaganda networks will still exist, the state narratives will still be spinning their stories, and they've got every incentive to try and paint this as a reason to get mad, to get angry, and to seek revanchist goals (and not of course to get mad at the regime).

I'm a bit worried that short of total Russian governmental collapse (which isn't particularly desirable either!) we're going to end up with a Russia constantly brain-poisoning itself and constantly seeking both excuses and opportunities to "attack the West" that's only going to get worse as a new generation raised on a steady diet of propaganda comes into power and the lunatics start running the asylum.

You're not wrong at all, I've been having similar thoughts. What's more, "Western" societies are undergoing great social and political upheavals and polarization at the moment, and this process is likely to only gain traction as the years and decades go by. Authoritarian or totalitarian societies like Russia will face their own challenges, but by and large they are able to suppress any popular discontent against them. History has proven me wrong on this before, but to me the Russian system, despite all its weaknesses, also feels very durable; Putin has legions of his personal bodyguards and is willing to throw 2 000 - 3 000 protesters to jail over a weekend over them... calling for the cessation of war hostilities in a neighboring country.

The single most powerful democracy in the world, the United States (I'm not American just so we're clear), is teetering on the edge of losing that very democracy. It has two parties, one of which is increasingly pro-Russian and while pro-NATO members remain in the party, younger ones trend authoritarian and pro-Putin even. Climate change will massively disrupt Western societies and feed discontent and could bring strongmen of our own to power. Meanwhile Russia under Putin and his successor can just... crush discontent and silence thousands.

It just feels like a never ending chess or boxing match and I kind of feel like time could be on the authoritarian team's side. Hopefully I'm overlooking some resiliencies of Western democracies; to be sure, they allow the voice of the "people" to be heard much louder, but a great amount of our elites are not interested in listening. I am kind of a pessimist by nature though.

Yeah, this is a good snipe. Happy Friday everyone.

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

MikeC posted:

Oh poo poo, Ivankiv is in Ukranian hands according to these guys (MFA). Goon wet dreams of encirclement come true! They ought to have bagged some Russians.

I suspect most Russian troops got out. The reports from last night are that there were massive convoy of at least 700 vehicles withdrawing north. They were shelled the whole time as they went through Ivankiv, but the fire wasn't very dense and intact vehicles just went past the destroyed ones to escape.

There might be rearguards that were left behind to shield the evacuation, but if there are they were troops the Russians have essentially written off. I suspect that the Ukrainians are going to find nothing but some abandoned/destroyed equipment and a whole bunch of mines as they clear the area.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Alchenar posted:

They could have evacuated the pocket... but a withdrawal in the face of the enemy is literally the most difficult thing to try to do in a war, so it would imply a fairly significant increase in Russian C&C.

e: also apparently they still haven't organised a single joint commander.

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1509876701580468224

Hmm, the General Staff just released their public Operations report and it doesn't include then Ivankiv story. Maybe someone jumped the gun or they just pulled out of the town centre but the road remains open.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Kazakhstan using some very firm language here
https://twitter.com/b_nishanov/status/1509914862247464968?t=G0-fh3f4AE-n_QCfzCRO4Q&s=19
This would be a pretty big shift in policy.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

KitConstantine posted:

... It's a Kyiv newspaper. They would identify the country the Parliament is in if it wasn't Ukrainian, most likely. But since they're a Ukrainian paper in Ukraine it's just "Parliament" to them.

It's pretty Anglo-centric to assume that any time Parliament is referenced it's discussing the UK

I knew which parliament was being referred to here. The confusing part was who was losing their stuff. Makes more sense now.

e: KitConstatine beat me to what I was going to post next.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/b_nishanov/status/1509913543507947526?t=tP6f0Rw8dh24u1ns2gEJGg&s=19

Kazakhstan wants none of this and current post-revolt administration is probably very comfortable under China protection.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Now for my very first post in the c-spam war thread, hope it goes ok.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/Sierra__Alpha/status/1509902871986417668?cxt=HHwWiMC9obGqoPQpAAAA

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

... It's a Kyiv newspaper. They would identify the country the Parliament is in if it wasn't Ukrainian, most likely. But since they're a Ukrainian paper in Ukraine it's just "Parliament" to them.

It's pretty Anglo-centric to assume that any time Parliament is referenced it's discussing the UK

Well, they could have written "Verkhovna Rada" but that has its own problems for an English-speaking audience.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KitConstantine posted:

Kazakhstan using some very firm language here
https://twitter.com/b_nishanov/status/1509914862247464968?t=G0-fh3f4AE-n_QCfzCRO4Q&s=19
This would be a pretty big shift in policy.
Theye said the'll not recognize the DNR nonsense pretty early on. I dunno if China has anything to do with it because China seems to be pushing the russian line here.

How are u posted:

Now for my very first post in the c-spam war thread, hope it goes ok.

this isn't the c-spam war thread you're looking for

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Oh, I see. Got me with that one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mobby_6kl posted:

this isn't the c-spam war thread you're looking for

But the forum name says C-SPAM!

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I mean yesterday they shot down one of the helicopters that managed to land in Mariupol and got destoyed on the way back.
Obviously all pro-Russians channels will sell it as "we let them fly in, load up with generals and then shoot it down" instead of our AA sucks and we just afterwards spotted it.
Probably same with the Belgorod attack.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

But the forum name says C-SPAM!

goddammit I hate April Fools' Day

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

mobby_6kl posted:

Theye said the'll not recognize the DNR nonsense pretty early on. I dunno if China has anything to do with it because China seems to be pushing the russian line here.

China is Kazakhstan new daddy getting a lot of sweet sweet crude oil from them, which means Russia can't force them what to do.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

It doesn't really have to be China pushing them or encouraging them to act a certain way, if Kazakhstan has gotten closer ties with China that gives Kazakhstan much more freedom of action and leverage in their relationship with Russia more or less as a matter of course.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

GABA ghoul posted:

Don't really give a poo poo as long as everyone in Europe is safe from these assholes through collective defense. Let them rot in their fascist shithole until it all comes crashing down again from the rot and grift like the Soviet Union did. It's just another Belarus/Iran/North Korea/Zimbabwe in the world now.

I still have no idea why people are so rabidly mad about NATO existing.

Yeah, it's not great for Russia to have it on their doorstep geopolitically, but they had decades to make the case that they were a reasonable neighbor and they spent it loving with their neighbors. Neighboring nations joining so they can be safe from harm just makes sense.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

mobby_6kl posted:

I think the countries currently under the umbrella of Russia are looking for a new partner now that they see Russia being nothing more than a paper tiger, which is where I believe the poster you quoted may be coming from. If you're under the protection/alliance/whatever you call it with a country who's supposed to have an army, and they're being bogged down by a country with a supposedly inferior military force, you're probably looking for something else that can offer you at least a modicum of protection.

China may not be the best partner in the long term, but if you're not looking to establish ties with western countries, I suppose it's the best you can do in the region, considering what's left.

Or, you know, Russia becomes a Chinese satellite state and you go along for the ride.

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 1, 2022

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

whoa, time for cspam?

witches in Kyiv posted:

All the witches of Ukraine, all the witches of the world, unite! On March 31, on the 29th lunar day, the day of corruption and curses, we, the witches of Ukraine, in collaboration with foreign colleagues, will perform a ritual of punishing the enemy of the Ukrainian people - Vladimir Putin. The ritual will consist of 3 parts. We warn our enemy! We will spend the first part in the place of power of Ukraine, on the mountain, in the temple. A circle of 13 witches has already been assembled! Details will come later! The second part of the ritual will be held in April, in another place of power, in a Slavic country with the involvement of foreign colleagues and a more powerful connection to the egregor. To the victory of our great people, to good luck, success and the opening of roads! And may all the gods of war - Odin, Thor, Perun - accompany us! The third part is a stone bag for the enemy - isolation, removal from power, loss of support from the inner circle. Redemption with black icons from mass deaths and the punishment of those who are guilty of them. All details - secretly, secretly, personally! Witches unite! Everyone who takes part will be rewarded by the Higher Forces! Glory to Ukraine! Death to the enemies!

the witches are coming :witch:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Deki posted:

I still have no idea why people are so rabidly mad about NATO existing.

Yeah, it's not great for Russia to have it on their doorstep geopolitically, but they had decades to make the case that they were a reasonable neighbor and they spent it loving with their neighbors. Neighboring nations joining so they can be safe from harm just makes sense.

The reason Russia doesn't want their neighbors joining a defense coalition is because they believe it is their right to gently caress with their neighbors with impunity. Being a good neighbor is self defeating in the same way "I want to be able to commit crimes without going to jail" isn't solved by "just don't commit crimes." The crimes are the point.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

So the people saying that troops would be greeted as liberators weren't entirely incorrect, they just got the army wrong! :v:

Djarum posted:

It's basically impossible to detect a couple helicopters flying at extreme low altitudes on radar. It would be very hard to get a missile lock on them with their AA systems at that altitude if they could detect it. If you had a AA gunner or a guy with a MANPAD ready and watching you could take them out but you have maybe 60-90 seconds of encounter time before they have bugged out. You add in that most of the locals and guards wouldn't have likely thought twice about seeing Mi-24s until they started firing upon the depot. By the time anyone could have done anything in retaliation they would be fence out.
Amusingly, this is what the Shilkas discussed a while ago are great at, defending against quick pop-up attacks or low flying aircraft. Most notable examples are from the Yom Kippur war.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I think the countries currently under the umbrella of Russia are looking for a new partner now that they see Russia being nothing more than a paper tiger, which is where I believe the poster you quoted may be coming from. If you're under the protection/alliance/whatever you call it with a country who's supposed to have an army, and they're being bogged down by a country with a supposedly inferior military force, you're probably looking for something else that can offer you at least a modicum of a strong army.

China may not be the best partner in the long term, but if you're not looking to establish ties with western countries, I suppose it's the best you can do in the region, considering what's left.

Yeah I get that of course. I was just wondering why, if thye're now buddies with China, are they also not picking China's stance which seems to be that the war is cool and good. But as Randarkman said, it could be that China just gives them enough leverage over russia to stick it to them, without suffering consequences.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

D34THROW posted:

goddammit I hate April Fools' Day

I dunno as creative pranks go, this one is pretty good.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

whoa, time for cspam?

For a second, I actually thought that was an On the Silver Globe screengrab.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

GABA ghoul posted:

Don't really give a poo poo as long as everyone in Europe is safe from these assholes through collective defense. Let them rot in their fascist shithole until it all comes crashing down again from the rot and grift like the Soviet Union did. It's just another Belarus/Iran/North Korea/Zimbabwe in the world now.

I mean the thing is, though, the more brain-poisoned you get the more likely you are to support aggressive actions even when there's little realistic chance of success. Collective defense might prevent anyone from getting conquered but it won't necessarily stop anyone from being invaded and that's gonna hurt even if they're beaten back. Plus, I'm not exactly happy about Russia being a continuing source of poisonous authoritarian influence in Western (and for that matter worldwide) media - the last thing we need is more Trumps popping up here and there.

I just don't really like the idea of large, nuclear-armed neighbors steadily stewing in their own insanity over long periods of time. It's not really safe or stable, I think.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

a podcast for cats posted:

A propos of PR and public sentiment in Russia, this thread stood out a bit. Reposting the retweet for credibility, as Max Seddon usually is good on info:

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1509788178420486154

https://twitter.com/YudinGreg/status/1509758798898118656?s=20&t=zO72qv7hIS13bg5mnEKLeg
https://twitter.com/YudinGreg/status/1509758806359781382?s=20&t=9LWr3NtKL7_ZYyCd6v8iAg

I'm trying to give the average Russian the benefit of the doubt, but it's difficult when you see Russians seemingly cool with their country escalating the threat of nuclear war with millions of lives on the line.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 1, 2022

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

whoa, time for cspam?

They can fight Putin's witches:

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/02/06/russian-witches-cast-spells-in-putins-support-video-a64420

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tomn posted:

I mean the thing is, though, the more brain-poisoned you get the more likely you are to support aggressive actions even when there's little realistic chance of success. Collective defense might prevent anyone from getting conquered but it won't necessarily stop anyone from being invaded and that's gonna hurt even if they're beaten back. Plus, I'm not exactly happy about Russia being a continuing source of poisonous authoritarian influence in Western (and for that matter worldwide) media - the last thing we need is more Trumps popping up here and there.

I just don't really like the idea of large, nuclear-armed neighbors steadily stewing in their own insanity over long periods of time. It's not really safe or stable, I think.

Yeah. This is the third iteration in a row, where the exact same thing happens with the Russian "empire". With this cycle we are near, but not yet on the total collapse stage but that will happen. Latest by if Putin dies without heir apparent.

...So it has to be Western countries that are the problem, not the Russia itself reinventing itself again and again as the rear end in a top hat neighbor.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Wildeyes posted:

I'm trying to give the average Russian the benefit of the doubt, but it's difficult when you see Russians seemingly cool with their country escalating the threat of nuclear war with millions of lives on the line.

Your average person has no idea what nuclear war entails. And tbf, ot's not like there's been a shortage of westerners on social media calling for WW3 for the past month either. But yeah, pretty weird seeing people announce so blatantly that "nuclear blackmail is cool, actually"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1509925712635088899?s=20&t=dK0eyDleYvmMNYk3XfNCFQ

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tomn posted:

i don't like it either and i think the war should be somehow ended soon, not dragged on forever. if there is any chance of just negotiating peace with the russians under conditions that are even halfway acceptable it should be done

at some point, probably and hopefully not very long from now, putin will die. it might be better to wait for that than to fight russia endlessly while it becomes a stalinist state

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Wildeyes posted:

https://twitter.com/YudinGreg/status/1509758798898118656?s=20&t=zO72qv7hIS13bg5mnEKLeg
https://twitter.com/YudinGreg/status/1509758806359781382?s=20&t=9LWr3NtKL7_ZYyCd6v8iAg

Most Russians aren't even in favor of Ukranian invasion though

https://twitter.com/YudinGreg/status/1509758813599150084

Also, I don't know where he gets the idea that if the war isn't over soon, Russia as a whole will decide it's an existential threat and that it'll warrant using nukes

https://twitter.com/YudinGreg/status/1509758828962885643

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1509844811930554369?cxt=HHwWgsCykez2hfQpAAAA

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Kyiv update:

Bucha is confirmed cleared, and with it the Russian presence around Kyiv is all but erased.
https://twitter.com/zcjbrooker/status/1509929113993322499?s=20&t=ZWQDE6LyNqcLyeElRbOt2Q
They took the time to mine a candy factory and poison it's products before leaving though. Bastards.
https://twitter.com/EmineDzheppar/status/1509929316968243216?s=20&t=ZWQDE6LyNqcLyeElRbOt2Q
Feel good closer on this topic:
https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1509924535264550921?s=20&t=kBqKbxD3uDk-OVVGJ2nLeA

Trains!
More info on the actions of Belarusian anti-war partisans on the railways
https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp/status/1509915151562063882?s=20&t=V9s9ujwS71gzukJY9mRnbQ
Also a Telegraph article on the topic - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/31/belarus-railway-rebels-dare-stop-vladimir-putins-invasion-tracks/

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Willo567 posted:

Also, I don't know where he gets the idea that if the war isn't over soon, Russia as a whole will decide it's an existential threat and that it'll warrant using nukes

I think it's less of an existential threat of Russia as a country and more of an existential threat to the Russian state in its current form as run by Vladimir Putin and his cronies.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Good thead on Russian failure and how to analyse it:

https://twitter.com/C_M_Dougherty/status/1509910414330638344

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

5+ billion a week. That's a lotta nuts!

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1509811226355941376?cxt=HHwWgIC-jfTT9vMpAAAA

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1509920649627815937?cxt=HHwWgsC-gZe1qPQpAAAA

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think it's less of an existential threat of Russia as a country and more of an existential threat to the Russian state in its current form as run by Vladimir Putin and his cronies.

I still don't think Russia is going to use any sort of nuke be it tactical or strategic unless NATO decides to directly intervene in the conflict by sending troops into Ukraine or they set up a no fly zone, both of which have been explicitly stated as not going to happen.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Probably from the people he's talking to. And I've heard plenty of generals and analysts, Russian and Western, mention the same concern. Should Russia keep getting backed into a corner like it is, it will see the ongoing economic situation as an existential threat. I would not go so far as to assume that they will actually use nukes, but Putin is clearly capable of making historically big mistakes, and I would agree the current situation already is an existential threat to Russia as it is today.

I'm thinking the most likely extremely concerning situation would be Putin declaring the sanctions to be a blockade by the West, thus claiming it to be an act of war, and threatening nuclear retaliation. Which I believe would be a bluff, but I think we all expect Putin will soon be in a position where he will try almost anything to get the West to blink. He might ratchet up the threat by moving his nukes around in dangerous ways, strapping them to fighters and bombers and passing near NATO airspace.

The sad thing about people in Moscow talking casually about nuclear blackmail is somehow they know why we fear nukes, but at the same time fail to realize should nukes be used every centimeter of Moscow would be subjected to multiple nuclear blasts. I don't think there's a bunker Putin could hide in that would save him if he was in the city at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
C-SPAM :3:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/1509916089496526850
Tanks got bumped from 10k to 100k