Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

ThePariah posted:

All the Cody hate is justified.

He sure fell right back into the WWE cult mentality, didn't he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It definitely makes Cody seem like that person who has a messy breakup with their ex, won't stop loudly talking about how much they hate that ex and then they're back together but it's totally different this time

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I tell you what though the streamable of his first promo on Raw is going to be appointment television for me, some time on Tuesday afternoon.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DeathChicken posted:

It definitely makes Cody seem like that person who has a messy breakup with their ex, won't stop loudly talking about how much they hate that ex and then they're back together but it's totally different this time

Honestly his comments were weirdly small time. Like calling Tony Khan the "bankroller" of AEW is just insanely petty when literally everyone knows Tony's been the booker since day one. He can try to sugar coat it all he wants but it smacks of "I wanted to be the number one booker, but mean old Tony didn't let me so I threw my toys out of the pram and here I am".

Without having been there it's impossible to say what was promised by various parties, but I have a hard time assuming Tony promised Cody the book when they were starting up AEW, because that's never been the vibe the Jacksons or Kenny have given out. Everything they've said has made it clear since day one that this was Tony's show. But of course humans will assume a lot so it's entirely possible Cody genuinely thought as much.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Lmao I thought Chris James 2 was doing a parody quote, didn't realise Cody actually said that for real.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

I think Cody wants WWE to have to put respect on his family name, to use the parlance of a bygone era, after what they did to his father and brother. And he also wants shitloads of money.

Maybe (probably) it's the cynic in me but something about that Dusty doc reminds me of when WWE was going to do "The Rise and Fall of Bret Hart" in the style of that Warrior doc, and that was a big impetus for him coming back and Controlling His Narrative.

Whether that's the case or not, I'm glad Cody is doing what he wants to do, got a great reaction, and had a good match on a big stage. I hope he gets to keep doing it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Honestly his comments were weirdly small time. Like calling Tony Khan the "bankroller" of AEW is just insanely petty when literally everyone knows Tony's been the booker since day one. He can try to sugar coat it all he wants but it smacks of "I wanted to be the number one booker, but mean old Tony didn't let me so I threw my toys out of the pram and here I am".

Without having been there it's impossible to say what was promised by various parties, but I have a hard time assuming Tony promised Cody the book when they were starting up AEW, because that's never been the vibe the Jacksons or Kenny have given out. Everything they've said has made it clear since day one that this was Tony's show. But of course humans will assume a lot so it's entirely possible Cody genuinely thought as much.

That's my guess as well, he probably assumed he was going to eventually be the Dusty to TK's Jim Crockett. That's probably why he did stuff early on like take himself out of contention for the AEW title, to show he wasn't going to book himself into a couple of title runs like his dad did in the NWA. And when it became pretty evident that TK wasn't interested in making him the booker, he started getting weird with the Codyverse stuff right up to the end.

Of course that's all speculation on my part, but given that he is pretty much all about trying to emulate his dad's legacy--if not exceed it--I wouldn't be surprised if it emerged as what actually happened behind the scenes.

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Lmao I thought Chris James 2 was doing a parody quote, didn't realise Cody actually said that for real.

Me too, I ended up Googling it and sure enough, he actually said that :laugh:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Cody is going to win the WWE Championship and go back to AEW when his contract is up, trust the plan

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I legit hope Cody becomes Vince's new son and takes over the WWE. I want to see the WWE Universe become the WWE Codyverse.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

kitten emergency posted:

Cody is going to win the WWE Championship and go back to AEW when his contract is up, trust the plan

cody rhodes will retire in WWE after he has at least one championship run

:toxx: i'll eat a ban for the length of cody rhode's contract with AEW if he resigns :toxx:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I think Cody is going to be on Dynamite this week. This just seems like a really elaborate work.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
cody's just one of those guys where everything he says is bullshit, even if he currently believes it, because he also bullshits himself. by contrast you have guys like jericho who are also full of bullshit, but on some level at least know they are full of it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I also thought this was parody, what in the world...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Seams posted:

I legit hope Cody becomes Vince's new son and takes over the WWE. I want to see the WWE Universe become the WWE Codyverse.

It'll be like the end of Dune, where Cody tells Vince that he is now in charge and is going to marry Stephanie. Except that they'll have to find someone else to be Feyd-Rautha now that Paul Triple H can't actually wrestle any more.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

did scott steiner say anything funny at the hall of fame induction?

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It'll be like the end of Dune, where Cody tells Vince that he is now in charge and is going to marry Stephanie. Except that they'll have to find someone else to be Feyd-Rautha now that Paul Triple H can't actually wrestle any more.

:ssh: Paul taking Cody's heart for himself is part of the McMahon scheme

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Wrestling has only one royal family

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Cody Rhodes

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/flightybuttlass/status/1510442889687486469?s=21&t=ifjoF99ZSc63ws7h6YzNog

Oh my God lmao

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Cody Rhodes

E: f, b

boxcarhobo posted:

Cody Rhodes

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
cody saw the adam cole boom shirt and took it as a challenge

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Uh, don't search Twitter for the Ronda match and blowup!

there were a ton of nipslips by Charlotte for the entire match

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Cody is going to beat the poo poo out of a Tony Khan dummy while HHH does Vince's open him up rant

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

Uh, don't search Twitter for the Ronda match and blowup!

there were a ton of nipslips by Charlotte for the entire match

I think there was like two in the space of ten seconds and that was it but I wasn’t looking and don’t care

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

no one is talking about gable steveson's debut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dagqT0DSYcg

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
My only take on Gable Steveson is that I thought his last name was Stevenson until very recently and I still read it as Stevenson most of the time.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

One thing I'm curious about is how they rigged that rope break spot with the sword, because they had 2 full matches before it happened. It didn't look like that thing where it all of the tension just goes out, it looked like the ropes were actually rigged to split? I want to know how they managed that.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/bullyray5150/status/1510455680020451333?s=21&t=-Lixo5vcuYJehyKiET4mbA

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

https://twitter.com/RicFlairNatrBoy/status/1510456145974075394?s=20&t=bYGkzznZt_z9lV5J8JOUrg

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Ganso Bomb posted:

One thing I'm curious about is how they rigged that rope break spot with the sword, because they had 2 full matches before it happened. It didn't look like that thing where it all of the tension just goes out, it looked like the ropes were actually rigged to split? I want to know how they managed that.

It was a shoot sword

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Let me take a peek on Twitter, I bet it must have been an absolute barnburner--

https://twitter.com/BoredandTwisted/status/1510455866893299716?s=20&t=Mk-IoZbrMYjbBtl5pPnK7A

bartok
May 10, 2006

Seams posted:

My only take on Gable Steveson is that I thought his last name was Stevenson until very recently and I still read it as Stevenson most of the time.

My only take is that he is a rapist who got off because of some stupid Minnesota legal loophole.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Let me take a peek on Twitter, I bet it must have been an absolute barnburner--

https://twitter.com/BoredandTwisted/status/1510455866893299716?s=20&t=Mk-IoZbrMYjbBtl5pPnK7A

didnt get all of it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Add another +1 to the people who thought CJ2 made that quote up

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Seams posted:

This will be the new Hennig/Henning

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/btsportwwe/status/1510603028583309313?s=20&t=pxeCLqo2b0cc3sPJBcZWdQ

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I think the WWE can bridge the gap between the Cody lovers and haters, bring together instead of divide. I think they can do it with one properly executed gimmick, just hear me out:

What the world needs now is a Wind in the Willows gimmick. I think Cody should come out dressed head to toe like a proper English gentleman amphibian (this would begin the healing process for his previous anti-British rhetoric, driving an authentic Model-T Ford to the ring. Down the line we can even have cinematic matches in none other than the stately Toad Hall.

The WWE needs now, more than ever, to take us on Toady Rhodes’ Wild Ride.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

DarkstarIV posted:

Bryan reported on WOR that Ronda was absolutely infuriated about not being in the main event slot and almost quit on the spot.

Might be a controversial take but that Ronda/Charlotte match last night absolutely should not have main evented and WWE was in the right for not slotting it there.

I was thinking this last night after Austin. Can you imagine if after that celebration they went to 10 minutes of commercials then came back to Charlotte/Ronda? People would be halfway out the stadium.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

He’s already done two of those things though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shouldn't he check off Seth "Freakin'" Rollins already