Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I change my vote, I want Lulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nettle Soup posted:

I change my vote, I want Lulu.

Let's cover our bases here with a Bu Bu too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not dooming any more eggs/chicks by naming them, but I will follow with interest

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Criminy, with these names next year I'm gonna lean out the back door to call the chickens, and the neighbors will call 911 thinking I'm having some kind of blathering fit.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Let's also toss in Boop.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Or that you’ve been at the Mexican market

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Criminy, with these names next year I'm gonna lean out the back door to call the chickens, and the neighbors will call 911 thinking I'm having some kind of blathering fit.

The best chickens have to have the best names.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

My vote is for Choo-Choo

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I named Kana last year, this year I am going to request Lu Bu please because I love ancient Chinese warlords and I want chaosfeather to be happy

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I respectfully submit “Phoebe Maybe

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

I'm excited for a new chickam :peanut:

Lil' Pep is once again living inside. someone just won't stop picking her feathers, even when she had her little jacket on :(

she's not thrilled about the situation but she likes all the attention and treats we give her

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

eating only apples posted:

I want chaosfeather to be happy

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

I named Kana last year, this year I am going to request Lu Bu please because I love ancient Chinese warlords and I want chaosfeather to be happy

I would name all my hens after ROTK characters if more of them were women, and also if I didn't have kids.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
So for a long time now our dogs have known to get excited, that we're 'talking to them', when we put on the Dug voice from 'Up'.

But now the chickens get excited when we start talking to them... in the voice of the Chicken Lady from 'Kids in the Hall'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDYnFy4rCJY

"Straight outta my body and onto your plate!"

Imagined fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 29, 2022

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

You're both very sweet but I can always try next year! Please submit names you'd like to see.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm in NC and the avian flu is going around. It's pretty easy to get the word to be careful, but is there a place / resource to check to know when I can let the dumdums out to roam again? A red shouldered hawk was found dead with it in my county. :(

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Alterian posted:

I'm in NC and the avian flu is going around. It's pretty easy to get the word to be careful, but is there a place / resource to check to know when I can let the dumdums out to roam again? A red shouldered hawk was found dead with it in my county. :(

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/animal-disease-information/avian/avian-influenza/2022-hpai

I'm not sure that this will give you everything you need as it's a national alert/research system, but maybe it'll help?

This seems more regional: http://www.ncagr.gov/avianflu/

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Yesterday a relatively small falcon/hawk bird of prey thing (I'm not sure exactly what kind of bird it was but it was smaller than like an eagle) landed on a fencepost in my yard and scared the poo poo out of my chickens, it was gone by the time I got outside to try to scare it away. So that was exciting. The chickens are ok I think, they hid in the coop and wouldn't come out until I went out there.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
perfect names all

Shifty Nipples posted:

Yesterday a relatively small falcon/hawk bird of prey thing (I'm not sure exactly what kind of bird it was but it was smaller than like an eagle) landed on a fencepost in my yard and scared the poo poo out of my chickens, it was gone by the time I got outside to try to scare it away. So that was exciting. The chickens are ok I think, they hid in the coop and wouldn't come out until I went out there.
that's good, they have their raptor emergency plan sorted and the flock all know the drill. a well-oiled survival machine

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

perfect names all

that's good, they have their raptor emergency plan sorted and the flock all know the drill. a well-oiled survival machine

And BTW, God help any small raptor that actually lands and goes after them--because once on the ground, that hawk is gonna get HIS poo poo sorted--I've been present three times when this happened and my flock damned near killed the poor hawk. The worst time was when one went after a group of 5-6 broody hens that were dust bathing under a tree. Good lord. I literally had to run out and drag them off a damned hawk. My roosters just kind of...calmly stood aside and let the demon girls handle things. :pwn:

For the record, each time it was a Sharpshin, which is NO match for chickens and really should know better.
FUN FACT: A pair of Sharpshins have decided to build a nest in the trees two houses over. The next few months should be a real knee-slapper.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 31, 2022

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chaosfeather posted:

You're both very sweet but I can always try next year! Please submit names you'd like to see.

Too late, Lu Bu is on the list. :v:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

“What you doin’ here?”

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

what a beautiful hen! what an intense glare! :kimchi:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

freeedr posted:

“What you doin’ here?”

Her color is so pretty.

Rose is weaning her babies already. She spent a half hour in the nest box yesterday and the chicks WERE NOT INVITED. Afterwards she did hang out with them sometimes during the day but she did not sleep in the nest with them at night. They don’t seem too heartbroken about it so she did her job extremely well.

For those keeping track at home it’s been a bit less than 4 weeks which is the same as every other time she’s had chicks. It’s really funny that her internal clock is so precise.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Rose is such a good mum.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

spookygonk posted:

Rose is such a good mum.

freeedr posted:

“What you doin’ here?”

aaaaaaaaa I love chicken glares :kimchi:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Enfys posted:

aaaaaaaaa I love chicken glares :kimchi:

Kind of random cause it has nothing to do with birds but I've been wanting to tell you that your deep sea exploration thread in PYF/PMF is awesome as heck :)

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Chips, my eldest ex-batt, has suddenly and surprisingly gone a bit broody. None of my other ex-batts have ever seemed all that aware of their eggs as things that exist, never mind as something that they produce and that have a function. The other hens are disgruntled because this is the prime nest box for laying and none of the others will do, so they are trying to lay eggs on top of/around her while she fluffs up into an immovable rageball.

I almost wish I had some fertilised eggs to give her, but she already took a long time to perk back up after a hard moult a couple months ago.

Shifty Nipples posted:

Kind of random cause it has nothing to do with birds but I've been wanting to tell you that your deep sea exploration thread in PYF/PMF is awesome as heck :)

Aww thanks, that's made my day :shobon:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Nope,no matter the egg number, the chicks are named as they hatch, we pick a name out of a hat as soon as one pops out of its shell, then post the name in the thread. The Chickam thread will be posted in GBS as always, but as soon as I start the thread I'll post a link to it here.
So start dreaming up weird names! I'll start a list, any names posted here will go on the list. ONE per person, please!

CHICKAM UPDATE:
The eggs go into the ReptiPro one hour from now--I'm trying to skew the early hatch thing they *love* to do and actually hit my projected hatch date of Saturday, April 16th.
Here are the 29 eggs that are going in! I'll candle them in 10 days and remove any duds. Meanwhile I get to turn the little suckers five times a day for the next 18 days...

The eggs on the left are from our hens, the ones on the right are eggs from a neighbor (marked with a tiny 'N').
Known contributing hens:
#1-2 Nyx (Midnight Marans)
#3-4 Strychnine (Giant Cochin/Americaunas)
#5-6 Peanut (Americaunas)
#7 Rapunzel (Psycho tiny banty hen, Belgian D'Anvers/Belgian D'Uccle)
#8 Slick Charlie (partridge Rock)
#9-10 Bantam eggs (Bantam Cochin/Belgian D'Uccle/Belgian D'Anvers)

I'm still trying to source safe cardboard for a brooder box, after last years horror show I will never again get boxes from the appliance place I've used all these years. I'm thinking someplace that has big boxes for food might be safe--we've got a Starbucks distribution center in the next town over, might hit them up...

I might get stuck with the kiddie pool again, but keeping the chicks in it is like trying to keep nuclear fission in a Mason jar--sooner or later it just gets too damned BIG to stay in there. :derp:

EDIT--Oh, and one name slot is taken for sure--'Chris'. Why? Here: https://twitter.com/chickam2008/status/1501730376678797312

Please name a chicken Doug McClure.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

And BTW, God help any small raptor that actually lands and goes after them--because once on the ground, that hawk is gonna get HIS poo poo sorted--I've been present three times when this happened and my flock damned near killed the poor hawk. The worst time was when one went after a group of 5-6 broody hens that were dust bathing under a tree. Good lord. I literally had to run out and drag them off a damned hawk. My roosters just kind of...calmly stood aside and let the demon girls handle things. :pwn:

Joburg posted:

Rose is weaning her babies already. She spent a half hour in the nest box yesterday and the chicks WERE NOT INVITED. Afterwards she did hang out with them sometimes during the day but she did not sleep in the nest with them at night. They don’t seem too heartbroken about it so she did her job extremely well.

Enfys posted:

Chips, my eldest ex-batt, has suddenly and surprisingly gone a bit broody. None of my other ex-batts have ever seemed all that aware of their eggs as things that exist, never mind as something that they produce and that have a function. The other hens are disgruntled because this is the prime nest box for laying and none of the others will do, so they are trying to lay eggs on top of/around her while she fluffs up into an immovable rageball.
absolute hens :swoon:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Blue

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

A lot of news about the new bird flu today in the north east, y'all be careful with your chooks.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
such elegance and grace.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
until a few months ago i'd never heard a quail squawk like a gull, but now they all do it whenever they see food

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

until a few months ago i'd never heard a quail squawk like a gull, but now they all do it whenever they see food

MINE! :byodood:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Enfys posted:

Our Daisy went broody. We also didn't expect / think an ex-batt could go broody, but she was an angry puffball for five weeks to the day. She also grew a spur, just the one.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

WE HAVE EMBRYOS! :derp:

Here's the break down:
29 eggs set ten days ago, 17 were our eggs, 12 were eggs from neighbors.

When I candled tonite: 18 eggs have embryos (10 ours, 8 neighbors), 2 not sure of (both ours), & 9 duds that never developed (5 ours, 4 neighbors).

The eggs from Slick Charlie, Peanut, Nyx and Rapunzel all have embryos. Chickam in 10 days! :v:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Here's the break down:

When I candled tonite: 18 eggs have embryos (10 ours, 8 neighbors), 2 not sure of (both ours), & 9 duds that never developed (5 ours, 4 neighbors).

The eggs from Slick Charlie, Peanut, Nyx and Rapunzel all have embryos. Chickam in 10 days! :v:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Here's the break down:

Did that big red egg have an embryo?