Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man Plan Canal
Jul 11, 2000

Listen to the madman

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Have NATO ever intervened because of warcrimes ?.

"because of" is I think pretty loaded terminology, but the ostensible rationale for intervention in Yugoslavia/Serbia in 99 was because of ethnic cleansing. The earlier more limited intervention in Bosnia would also probably have qualified by the same standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Yugoslavia may count as NATO intervention. Incidentally, they're still very bitter about it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It can be difficult to visualize the European energy network, and many of the maps out there struggle to stay updated since there's been a lot of recent construction. This map from Le Monde provides a pretty good overview. Many of the places noted as under construction have now been completed. https://mondediplo.com/maps/gas-pipelines#&gid=1&pid=1

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 4, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think Mark Urban makes a reasonable point here about that RIA article and elite reaction. Russian elites are having their imperialist 'Great Russia' power fantasy shattered as their army reels back from Kyiv and Kharkiv in obvious defeat at the hands of their poor backward cousins. The rhetoric we are seeing is a result of the emotional effect of a very comfortable worldview falling apart. Right now that fury is directed at Ukraine for its defiance, but if the war ends in Russian defeat then that emotion could easily all end up directed at Putin.

https://twitter.com/MarkUrban01/status/1510944820629549059

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alchenar posted:

I think Mark Urban makes a reasonable point here about that RIA article and elite reaction. Russian elites are having their imperialist 'Great Russia' power fantasy shattered as their army reels back from Kyiv and Kharkiv in obvious defeat at the hands of their poor backward cousins. The rhetoric we are seeing is a result of the emotional effect of a very comfortable worldview falling apart. Right now that fury is directed at Ukraine for its defiance, but if the war ends in Russian defeat then that emotion could easily all end up directed at Putin.

very true. but i think until that happens, they are gonna triple down on "just kill and rape and worse to any ukranian you can find in occupied areas outside Donbass".

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Are they aware that tattoos aren't manatory for Nazis?

E: thats a stupid question

Remember that "Nazi tattoo" really means "Ukraine tattoo." They're shooting people with any sort of "nationalist" tattoo, such as the flag of Ukraine, for being "Nazis."

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Senjuro posted:

At least in my experience the tankie will at least have a better understanding of the financial and political forces driving our world and thus the source and reason behind the lies. That doesn't come from simple contrarianism, it requires at least some thought and education. They're not as dumb as a MAGA chud that avoids getting vaccinated because they think Bill Gates is going to chip them. They're smart enough to know better than to support monsters just because they're anti-west, but they do it anyway.

No, you don't get to the stage of tankie without some foundational flaws in your worldview. They may know how to gesture in the direction of financial and political forces, but that does not mean they understand them.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Senjuro posted:

At least in my experience the tankie will at least have a better understanding of the financial and political forces driving our world and thus the source and reason behind the lies. That doesn't come from simple contrarianism, it requires at least some thought and education. They're not as dumb as a MAGA chud that avoids getting vaccinated because they think Bill Gates is going to chip them. They're smart enough to know better than to support monsters just because they're anti-west, but they do it anyway.

I think you're wrong, here. The average middle class (or especially upper class) chud isn't poorly educated. They're just racist and sexist and hate that they aren't allowed to be openly racist and sexist. 35% of college educated voters went for Trump. I bet you'd find more college educated people that are Trump voters than who went for Bernie in the primary. They don't avoid vaccination because they think Bill Gates is going to chip them, they avoid it because it's inconvenient to them, and any minor inconvenience or insult to what they believe to be the master race, them, is an affront to God. All these rich businessmen who are donating to Trump don't misunderstand financial and political forces driving our world.

They are extremely similar in that their views aren't driven by any cohesive thought, they're driven by narcissism. In the case of chuds they see their own indulgence as sacrosanct. In the case of tankies it takes a weird form of ascetic martyrdom (weird because it doesn't actually involve real suffering at all, just posting on the internet).

The reason why it always appears like they're proving horseshoe theory correct is because they're mostly the exact same demographic: broke-brained middle class white men. All for whom the internet provides an outlet to blame their personal problems on a boogeyman.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Libya

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It's probably fairly high on their priorities now even if it wasn't before.

Sarajevo

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Man Plan Canal posted:

I am not sure if Russia's actions in Ukraine currently amount to genocide -- I could definitely see the counter argument for both cases I've brought up -- but I feel very comfortable saying they feel qualitatively and quantitatively similar to other actions previously legally found to be genocide.
Reports from witnesses and victims make it seem like Russian troops have orders to summarily execute any civilians who are suspected members of territorial defence or other military/paramilitary groups (including loving Azov), which in a society that has had conscription and whose majority male population of military age belongs to this targeted category has the effect of being an order to carry out genocide.

It's heartening to hear that some Russian troops are refusing orders to summarily execute civilians but they still need to leave, surrender or die.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Alchenar posted:

A big issue is that after this war is concluded, you have 144m people in Russia who have been programmed to hate their Ukrainian 'khokhol' neighbours.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The US and Europe should introduce a Ukrainian reconstruction tax. Any US/EU business that operates in Russia in any way that funds the government pays 5% of their global turnover to pay for the reconstruction of the country they are funding the destruction of.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Alchenar posted:

Yeah this sounds about right. Assuming Russia doesn't manage to pull out some kind of unlikely victory, there is going to be a lot of public indignance and rage as their worldview of the Great and Powerful Russia dictating terms is shattered.

Maybe this anger will be directed at Putin. Perhaps, but I'm not so sure - I suspect that either he, or his successor, will leverage their stranglehold over the media to direct it outward toward the treacherous russophobic West (that thanks to a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, is at the same time all powerful but also weak and easily crushed).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Sausages posted:

Reports from witnesses and victims make it seem like Russian troops have orders to summarily execute any civilians who are suspected members of territorial defence or other military/paramilitary groups (including loving Azov), which in a society that has had conscription and whose majority male population of military age belongs to this targeted category has the effect of being an order to carry out genocide.

It's heartening to hear that some Russian troops are refusing orders to summarily execute civilians but they still need to leave, surrender or die.
Honestly I really don't care about getting the official "g" word, they're straight up murdering people regardless and need to be removed immediately.

Alchenar posted:

Isn't that tweet guy saying the opposite? I mean of course it coud but they could also go full tard and start full mobilization or something.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

ummel posted:

Remember that "Nazi tattoo" really means "Ukraine tattoo." They're shooting people with any sort of "nationalist" tattoo, such as the flag of Ukraine, for being "Nazis."

It's a dark irony that Russia is now using the word "Nazi" the way that the NSDAP used the word "Bolshevik".

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Any word on whether Ukraine will get any further military support/shipments? It seems like interest in this drying out as Ukraine starts winning some battles.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Patrocclesiastes posted:

https://twitter.com/dmytrogurinmp/status/1510681928088829953

The usual cw apply, description of russian atrocities.

The only moral thing is to wish as many dead russian soldiers as possible and total shunning of russia from all international arenas until their crimes have been prosecuted.

Personally I am in favor of military intervention to help Ukraine, even if it means ww3

Easier to read version:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1510681928088829953.html

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Any word on whether Ukraine will get any further military support/shipments? It seems like interest in this drying out as Ukraine starts winning some battles.

I think after the pictures yesterday (and reports today that Brodoyanka is worse than Bucha) there's no need for concern that 'interest is dying down'.

In diplomatic news, Lithuania expelled the Russian ambassador. Also news that they sent the Lithuanian ambassador to Ukraine back to Kyiv
https://twitter.com/RobbieGramer/status/1510980413153554439?s=20&t=8qNOQ28kD-wmn8EcCDxSBw
The Norwegian Prime Minister had a call with Putin a few days ago and directly shared UN estimates of Russian casualties with him
https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1510982484170846220?s=20&t=8qNOQ28kD-wmn8EcCDxSBw
Thread with multiple sources saying that Finland joining NATO is growing increasingly likely, and describing what the process would look like
https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1510899939102101506?s=20&t=8qNOQ28kD-wmn8EcCDxSBw
And a pointed editorial in a Finnish newspaper today
https://twitter.com/jmkorhonen/status/1510974636808413193?s=20&t=8qNOQ28kD-wmn8EcCDxSBw

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Ashenai posted:

I'm Hungarian, I can confirm it. Orbán said it in his victory speech. All over Hungarian news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2lCKstcXq8&t=441s

Starting from 7:21, my transcription:

"Ez a győzelem azért is marad majd emlékezetes talán életünk végéig, mert most kellett a legnagyobb túlerővel megküzdeni. A baloldal itthon, a nemzetközi baloldal körös-körül, a brüsszeli bürokraták, a Soros-birodalom minden pénze és szervezete, a nemzetközi fősodratú média és a végén még az ukrán elnök is. Ennyi ellenfelünk egyszerre még sosem volt."

My translation:

"Perhaps another reason why we should remember this victory for as long as we live: now is when the forces against us were at their most overwhelming. The political left at home, the international left all around us, the bureaucrats in Brussels, all the money and all the organizations of the Soros empire, the international mainstream media, and by the end, even the Ukrainian president. We have never had so many opponents, all at once."

Can the EU just hot-swap Hungary for Ukraine? Just try and do it real quick before the weight sensor trips.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

KitConstantine posted:

The Norwegian Prime Minister had a call with Putin a few days ago and directly shared UN estimates of Russian casualties with him
https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1510982484170846220?s=20&t=8qNOQ28kD-wmn8EcCDxSBw

Surely Putin didn't use the W-word about the specop?? :commissar:

Meanwhile, a bit of odd news reported by Yle:
https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-12389683

quote:

According to Russian media, Finland stopped valuable paintings crossing the border in Vaalimaa - Finnish Customs is silent

Today, Customs sent an invitation to a press conference about the products seized in Vaalimaa and subject to sanctions. However, Customs did not confirm that the event was related to paintings.

Russian media have reported today that Finnish customs would have stopped the transport of art in Vaalimaa, which was on its way to Russia. The information began to spread on the Telegram communication channel. According to the information, Finnish customs would have claimed that Russian works were subject to sanctions. In addition, Russian media reported that the trucks had been moved to Helsinki.

Yle asked the Finnish customs for confirmation of the information. Customs declined to be interviewed, but forwarded an invitation to a briefing on Wednesday.

According to a customs release, it has stopped three truck loads of products subject to EU sanctions in Vaalimaa over the weekend. Customs has initiated a preliminary investigation into the cases and a serious regulatory offense has been suspected as a criminal offense. According to the release, customs have seized the products subject to sanctions.

Sami Rakshit, director of the Customs Control Department, did not confirm to Yle whether Wednesday's press conference was related to Russian works of art. Rakshit appealed to the unfinished investigation.

According to those objects would be paintings en route from Milan to St. Petersburg. The paintings were borrowed from the Hermitage Art Museum and were on display at the Gallerie d’Italia’s Gran Tour. A dream from Italy in Venice to Pompeii. Of the hermitage, Fontanka was told that the difficulties in returning the paintings were related to logistics, not sanctions.

According to the Kremlin-led Izvestija (moving to another service), a large number of works from the collections of Russian museums around the world are on loan. Due to the disruption of air traffic, their safe return to Russia has become more difficult.

In Paris, for example, an exhibition of a large number of works from the Morozovin collection ended yesterday on Sunday. The paintings are on loan from the Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this but someone has to be the Good guy then, its how humans are. they fall into the same traps the chuds do but tweaked a bit. they want big strong daddy but red instead of orange(well thats changing).

obviously not Zinn but has Chomsky said anything lately? he seems to be ok with various genocides or at least excusing them when they are happening.

Yes:

https://truthout.org/articles/noam-chomsky-us-military-escalation-against-russia-would-have-no-victors/
https://truthout.org/articles/noam-chomsky-a-no-fly-zone-over-ukraine-could-unleash-untold-violence/
https://truthout.org/articles/chomsky-peace-talks-in-ukraine-will-get-nowhere-if-us-keeps-refusing-to-join/
https://truthout.org/articles/chomsky-lets-focus-on-preventing-nuclear-war-rather-than-debating-just-war/
https://truthout.org/articles/noam-chomsky-russias-war-against-ukraine-has-accelerated-the-doomsday-clock/

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Xachariah posted:

Can the EU just hot-swap Hungary for Ukraine? Just try and do it real quick before the weight sensor trips.

In Finnish we call them Unkari and Ukraina respectively, so should be possible to change with minimal letter adjustments in all maps and documents. Basically we already did this in the 1970's between Switzerland and Sweden (just don't reveal it to them, they still haven't realized).

Just have to be careful we don't send a million NLAW's and Stingers and 5000 Bundeswehr kettles to Orban by mistake.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I am a little :stare: that Russian propaganda is actually willing to come out and admit that Ukraine has hardly any literal Nazis and they're not in any positions of power or influence but Russia has just been using "Nazi" as a codeword for "European sympathizers" this whole time.

But I suppose they know that the koolaid drinkers are willing to die on the hill that Ukraine is a literal Nazi state run entirely by literal Nazis with the support of literal Nazi people, so it's not like their propaganda effort has anything to lose by clarifying the truth.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Yeah, let's not.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

the holy poopacy posted:

I am a little :stare: that Russian propaganda is actually willing to come out and admit that Ukraine has hardly any literal Nazis and they're not in any positions of power or influence but Russia has just been using "Nazi" as a codeword for "European sympathizers" this whole time.

But I suppose they know that the koolaid drinkers are willing to die on the hill that Ukraine is a literal Nazi state run entirely by literal Nazis with the support of literal Nazi people, so it's not like their propaganda effort has anything to lose by clarifying the truth.

The Russian term 'Nazi' merely refers to any existential (perceived or made up) enemy of Russia. It's got nothing to do with Aryan ubermench ideals of the 3rd Reich (which itself is much more closely aligned with the current Russian political regime).

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Art has become a way to launder money, i wouldn't be surprised if those artworks were owned by sanctioned oligarchs.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

ummel posted:

Where are you seeing this

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

paul_soccer12 posted:

Witness testimonies from people who saw executions in Bucha and elsewhere.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/kofmanmichael/status/1510681888700215307

Really good thread.

Nenonen posted:

In Finnish we call them Unkari and Ukraina respectively, so should be possible to change with minimal letter adjustments in all maps and documents. Basically we already did this in the 1970's between Switzerland and Sweden (just don't reveal it to them, they still haven't realized).

Just have to be careful we don't send a million NLAW's and Stingers and 5000 Bundeswehr kettles to Orban by mistake.

Hahahahahaha

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Abner Assington posted:

Yeah, let's not.

Sorry, forgort this was the war thread!

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

paul_soccer12 posted:

Mentioned here:

Hannibal Rex posted:

It's pretty clear now what Russian denazification orders look like.

ik edit: :nms: photos of corpses
https://vot--tak-tv.translate.goog/novosti/03-04-2022-rasstrely-zhitelej-buchi/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Translation posted:

I had money with me, a watch. Everyone was taken away, like the rest, that is, they were simply robbed. They knew some of the people, checked the documents and, if a person participated in the ATO (as Ukraine calls the period of hostilities in the Donetsk and Lugansk regions from 2014 to 2018) or was recorded in the theater, they were immediately shot. They also checked tattoos, “Nazikov” they were looking. In fact, even those who had the official coat of arms of Ukraine were shot.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Sorry, forgort this was the war thread!

Defend your right to bear slurs elsewhere.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

obviously not Zinn but has Chomsky said anything lately? he seems to be ok with various genocides or at least excusing them when they are happening.

This is a bizarre statement. Chomsky has said many things in his life in many articles and interviews, but you just need to skim his recent interviews to see him calling Putin, in more articulate terms, a criminal and a fool.

Here's a direct quote from him, "Moral outrage over Russian crimes in Ukraine is understandable and justified." "The invasion is direct criminal aggression — which, indeed, we can compare with the Nazi invasion of Poland"

From that, you somehow get, "Chomsky is OK with genocides"? Nice one.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Xachariah posted:

Mentioned here:

Thanks. They're referring to the rurikid trident right?

e: idiots like to accuse chomsky of genocide denial/apologism because he pointed out that the US was supporting and enabling the Indonesian genocide in East Timor around the same time Cambodia was all over the mainstream news, while East Timor got barely any mention in the press at all at the time.

They somehow turn pointing out this hypocrisy into "chomsky likes genocide denial because he is a tankie"

paul_soccer12 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 4, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Aertuun posted:

This is a bizarre statement. Chomsky has said many things in his life in many articles and interviews, but you just need to skim his recent interviews to see him calling Putin, in more articulate terms, a criminal and a fool.

Here's a direct quote from him, "Moral outrage over Russian crimes in Ukraine is understandable and justified." "The invasion is direct criminal aggression — which, indeed, we can compare with the Nazi invasion of Poland"

From that, you somehow get, "Chomsky is OK with genocides"? Nice one.

You may not be familiar with Chomsky’s broader output.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Xachariah posted:

Mentioned here:

Yeah, that's where I saw it. Although my memory swapped "flag" with "coat of arms."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DandyLion posted:

The Russian term 'Nazi' merely refers to any existential (perceived or made up) enemy of Russia. It's got nothing to do with Aryan ubermench ideals of the 3rd Reich (which itself is much more closely aligned with the current Russian political regime).
Yeah this should have been pretty obvious by like the end of the first week.

Instead I think a lot of people just take it at face value because it's being aimed at the people they already dislike.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

paul_soccer12 posted:

Thanks. They're referring to the rurikid trident right?

Yes, they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

paul_soccer12 posted:

e: idiots like to accuse chomsky of genocide denial/apologism because he pointed out that the US was supporting and enabling the Indonesian genocide in East Timor around the same time Cambodia was all over the mainstream news, while East Timor got barely any mention in the press at all at the time.

Oh, can you point to that in his Distortions at the Forth Hand article please?