Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Security council meeting is going to be very interesting tomorrow, given the tone of Lavrov's comments during his 'press conference' today
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1511113717769019400?s=20&t=NZhvX9paWTBguUZKQXtrBA
Also the Ukrainian Ambassador to the UN has been teeing off on Lavrov on Twitter all day, and since UK is presiding now I assume he'll also be at the meeting :lol:
https://twitter.com/SergiyKyslytsya/status/1511119301604003844?s=20&t=NZhvX9paWTBguUZKQXtrBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

uXs posted:

The last few days have made me stop caring about Russia's nuclear weapons. gently caress 'em. Give Ukraine everything they want and need, beat the bastards back, drive to Moscow and go drag Putin and his criminals to The Hague. I can't stand it any longer.
No. I very much understand the nihilistic sentiment (being, for a thankfully-short time, one of those all-aboard the 'glass the Middle-East into a parking lot' train on 9/11), but IRRADIATING THE ENTIRE PLANET (which is what the vast majority of your post results in) will not help UKRAINE or any UKRANIANS, anywhere. Both the US and the EU need to do MUCH more, and MUCH more urgently, but grabbing a cowboy hat and Dr. Strangelove-style YOLO'ing into MAD helps no one.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

loving christ, I posted way earlier how some of my in-laws were in on the horrific russian propaganda take- now I'm loving ashamed of lots of you. Lots of them aren't into the propaganda too, but no, now it's all "yes kill every Ivan make them pay, it's a land of monsters." From a bunch of people where 1/100 can read or speak russian.

e: and gently caress the daily abuse my flight attendant wife gets for daring to be russian around brave informed americans who know about what monstrous slut bitches the russians are.
I feel like this needs to be pushed to the front as well. Blind rage and deserved violence as a result of the unspeakable atrocities of war feels right in a simple, animal outburst , but I hope those intelligent goons here manage to take a brief step back and realize that there are many Russian/Russian-adjacent goons posting IN THIS VERY THREAD, who have very loudly condemned everything to do with these horrors and are no more deserving of death and torture than any poor random Ukranian. It may help anyone absorbing this unspeakable poo poo (and I sure know it helps me), to stop for a moment and internalize that 'Russian government/soldiers' doesn't = ALL loving RUSSIANS.

And no, this isn't :decorum: posting. There is nothing any of us posting here on SA can do to change what is going on (those actually in a position to help refugees/family/friends/pets excluded, and godspeed), but please, try not to let all of this drag you down with it.

Thoth!
Apr 28, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Jesus that's orders of magnitude more insane than I remember grayzone being previously

:chloe:

Lmao, their article on the Boogaloo volunteer sure is something.

quote:

the Boogaloo Boys, an enigmatic militia-style organization that confounds even self-styled extremism experts.

Members of the Boogaloo Boys uphold a staunchly anti-communist, anarchistic perspective that incorporates political positions and symbols familiar to both radical right and leftist movements. They have marched in support of Black Lives Matter, to the obvious discomfort of many liberal social justice activists, and protested coronavirus lockdowns, usually while openly toting assault rifles and sporting the Hawaiian shirts that have become their trademark.

Hoeft was a prominent figure in the Ohio chapter of the Boogaloos and appeared at the Ohio statehouse in Columbus to deliver introductory remarks at an armed “unity rally.” There, he emphasized the group’s non-partisan politics and defended a transgender activist from insults.

Wow, they support blm and transgender rights? Sound like some cool guys, I think the 'left' can really work with them, unlike those liberal social justice snowflakes :smug:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are there any good current breakdowns on Putin's war funding at the moment post these initial sanctions? Like who are Russia's top customers, which countries are doing the most business with Russia still and could thus make the biggest impact if they did proper sanctions? I think the best thing people can do for the war right now is to heavily lean on these countries still doing massive business with Russia. We need to turn off the taps to Russia's economy, entirely.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Baronjutter posted:

Are there any good current breakdowns on Putin's war funding at the moment post these initial sanctions? Like who are Russia's top customers, which countries are doing the most business with Russia still and could thus make the biggest impact if they did proper sanctions? I think the best thing people can do for the war right now is to heavily lean on these countries still doing massive business with Russia. We need to turn off the taps to Russia's economy, entirely.

You'll never get China and India to cut out Russia. Neither objects to genocide and China at least sees no problem with a regional power annexing neighbors by force and wouldn't want to set any precedent that smashing 'rogue provinces' isn't totally okay.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AJA posted:

I feel like this needs to be pushed to the front as well. Blind rage and deserved violence as a result of the unspeakable atrocities of war feels right in a simple, animal outburst , but I hope those intelligent goons here manage to take a brief step back and realize that there are many Russian/Russian-adjacent goons posting IN THIS VERY THREAD, who have very loudly condemned everything to do with these horrors and are no more deserving of death and torture than any poor random Ukranian. It may help anyone absorbing this unspeakable poo poo (and I sure know it helps me), to stop for a moment and internalize that 'Russian government/soldiers' doesn't = ALL loving RUSSIANS.

And no, this isn't :decorum: posting. There is nothing any of us posting here on SA can do to change what is going on (those actually in a position to help refugees/family/friends/pets excluded, and godspeed), but please, try not to let all of this drag you down with it.

Sorry, but did people here start calling for violence against all Russians?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Baronjutter posted:

It was amazing seeing the sudden drop of the russian-backed western mouthpieces once sanctions hit but so many of them seem to be back now. I guess Russia found alternative ways to get the money flowing again? Then again I don't don't that there's more than enough useful idiots willing to work for free.

I feel like the "Never back down from anything" attitude is probably more profitable for chud (and tankie) media overall

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/mbk_center/status/1508916178298802183?s=20&t=8aJunUj7kCIdysuNTDRmgA

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Ukraine is getting a handful of the antitank version of the Switchblade drones.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-04/u-s-switchblade-drones-for-ukraine-will-include-tank-killers

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Kind of doubting the reliability of that, since the "sign" is in English (and apparently only English).

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Rinkles posted:

Sorry, but did people here start calling for violence against all Russians?

By 'all Russians', are you asking me to provide a quote specifically naming and/or numbering all ~145,478,097(Wikipedia 2022 estimate) Russians (minus the agreed-upon government officials and active military counts)? Or are we just here playing 'gotcha' games?

Given your posting, I'm surprised to see you go for the latter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

AJA posted:

By 'all Russians', are you asking me to provide a quote specifically naming and/or numbering all ~145,478,097(Wikipedia 2022 estimate) Russians (minus the agreed-upon government officials and active military counts)?
What a fuckin weird thing to say dude. Are you okay?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AJA posted:

By 'all Russians', are you asking me to provide a quote specifically naming and/or numbering all ~145,478,097(Wikipedia 2022 estimate) Russians (minus the agreed-upon government officials and active military counts)? Or are we just here playing 'gotcha' games?

Given your posting, I'm surprised to see you go for the latter.

No, I just have not seen posts here that go as far as your post implied. People have said things I wouldn’t, but I think most of it was targeted at the military.

I’ve been following the thread less closely the last two days because it’s been taking a toll on me, so I may have missed them.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I would just like the Russians to leave Ukraine and go home. The less murder, pillage and rape that they do as they leave the better.

Sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Cicero posted:

What a fuckin weird thing to say dude. Are you okay?

jusst ignore him, the reason he wants to glass the middle east but protect russia is obvious

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What do you mean? Historically, what happens is russians getting shot for not being uruk-hai, like I said.

gently caress you bloodlusters. This is already horrible, loving be realistic.

loving christ, I posted way earlier how some of my in-laws were in on the horrific russian propaganda take- now I'm loving ashamed of lots of you. Lots of them aren't into the propaganda too, but no, now it's all "yes kill every Ivan make them pay, it's a land of monsters." From a bunch of people where 1/100 can read or speak russian.

Then on the other side there's still somehow people pretending the russian and US militaries are equal and that russian terror attacks are par the course compared to the US. MLRS blast accidentally hits an Afghan village = massive inquiry, hits US news. Grads shell apartments for weeks, lies on news. Same thing yep definitely both sides.

gently caress all the war and the discourse around it.

e: and gently caress the daily abuse my flight attendant wife gets for daring to be russian around brave informed americans who know about what monstrous slut bitches the russians are.

I interpreted the post you had made as saying that civilians would likely take care of getting rid of the war criminals, but perhaps the "former" and "latter" in your post was meant to be bifurcated a different way.

In any case, I'm not suggesting that Russian civilians are irredeemable (not to any greater degree than, say, American, Polish, or Hungarian civilians), but I'm not really sure that there's any reasonable de-escalatory outcome here tbh. I want there to be, but I don't think it is a realistic expectation given the current situation - people in opposition are fleeing Russia when they have the resources to, not sticking around to try to start a revolution.

I'm am sorry for whatever additional stress this discussion is causing you when things are already tough.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Been reading about the culture of dedovshchina, or hazing/bullying in the Russian army from Wikipedia:

And from the Guardian:

Yup, this is the sort of military culture that is going to churn out a bunch of brutal rapists and thugs who set out to commit all sorts of war crimes. Rotten to the core.

thank you so much for being the first after all this time to learn about dyedovshchina, you figured it all out, nobody and definitely not hundreds of people here knew of it before

it churns out a terrified boy or three for every monster but lmao those inscrutible russkiys am i rite

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 5, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bremen posted:

Honestly, I get the impression that China's government knows perfectly well that Russia is going full monster in a human suit, they're just trying to cover for them because they're stuck in an us vs them mindset and think siding with the west against Russia would be pushing things back towards a unipolar world. In contrast I think even Putin and his advisors probably buy into their own lies at least a little.

China is a fellow monster in a human suit, what with their own genocide currently ongoing. Like protects like.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Rinkles posted:

No, I just have not seen posts here that go as far as your post implied. People have said things I wouldn’t, but I think most of it was targeted at the military.

I’ve been following the thread less closely the last two days because it’s been taking a toll on me, so I may have missed them.
Yeah, I get that. Anyway, whatever I wrote, I think was said better (and more succinctly, for everybody) a page back;

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Anyway I know its easy to get wound up with anger and hurt, that turning into a bloodlust, but folks be careful about sliding into big generalizations.

moonmazed posted:

jusst ignore him, the reason he wants to glass the middle east but protect russia is obvious
My nationalistic lust for blood ended as soon as Shrub started sabre-rattling on Iraq, thank you. And protecc russia has never been high on my list of priorities, so...sorry?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

thank you so much for being the first after all this time to learn about dyedovshchina, you figured it all out, nobody and definitely not hundreds of people here knew of it before

it churns out a terrified boy or three for every monster but lmao those inscrutible russkiys am i rite

Yeah you're definitely taking your thing here overboard, and the same advice about taking a thread break might apply.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Grape posted:

Yeah you're definitely taking your thing here overboard, and the same advice about taking a thread break might apply.

No, they're not wrong that this incredibly old news is often trotted out as a stalking horse for just generally incredibly unproductive discussion. Why, how could any Russian soldier not be a complete monster in such conditions! And the society that abets such a thing, my god...

And so on and so forth and around and around it goes until folks are in a bloodthirsty tizzy.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Kind of doubting the reliability of that, since the "sign" is in English (and apparently only English).

It has the "only Finns can read this" bit, seems to check out

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Temporary mod decision on bloodlust: wishing death on Russian soldiers is borderline. Definitely don't get weird/graphic about it, don't wish or advocate for war crimes to be perpetrated on Russians, and don't wish for violence on Russian civilians.

We still need to have some more mod team discussion but for the mean time the above will be thread rule about bloodlust posting. I know a lot of posters are (justifiably) angry and there's been a lot of venting in the thread today, it's generated a lot of reports so I wanted to get out ahead of any further conversation.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Since it's both quiet and kind of contentious at once, I think I will do a digression on something totally different.

Remember Medvedchuk? Putin's favorite Ukrainian oligarch, had Putin as godfather or his daughter, ran away from house arrest when this started?

Ever wonder what he did before the whole oligarch/Russia-friendly politician thing? Well, he was a Soviet "defense" attorney, working on cases involving political prisoners, mostly by agreeing with prosecution that they are totally guilty. Most famously that included the Ukrainian poet Vasyl Stus, who died at 47 in prison.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Family Values posted:

I would just like the Russians to leave Ukraine and go home. The less murder, pillage and rape that they do as they leave the better.

Sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings.

You monster

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

that sign said nothin' about not poopin' at russia

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
back in my day assuming russia would invade was considered bloodlust

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Captain Oblivious posted:

No, they're not wrong that this incredibly old news is often trotted out as a stalking horse for just generally incredibly unproductive discussion. Why, how could any Russian soldier not be a complete monster in such conditions! And the society that abets such a thing, my god...

And so on and so forth and around and around it goes until folks are in a bloodthirsty tizzy.

This is exactly what I mean when I say this is going overboard.
You're suggesting trying to examine what's wrong with Russia is an inevitable slippery slope to blood gargling racism.
This is absurd, and as counter-productive to discussion as the same emotional reductionists you're messily attempting to target.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Well this weekend's revelations have completely hosed me up. I went down the Wikipedia rabbithole on the Holocaust because I don't seem to value my own mental health.

I made it as far as a picture of children being marched through a ghetto at gunpoint.

Been thinking about my two small boys a lot today.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mr. Mercury posted:

that sign said nothin' about not poopin' at russia

What if we trebuchet some poop into Russia? I will call it... the Trebushit

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

madmatt112 posted:

Well this weekend's revelations have completely hosed me up. I went down the Wikipedia rabbithole on the Holocaust because I don't seem to value my own mental health.

I made it as far as a picture of children being marched through a ghetto at gunpoint.

Been thinking about my two small boys a lot today.

Fellow goon,

Deteriorata posted:

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Justice and righteousness (in the terms of this current conflict), will prevail. Have faith, have hope that you or your own never have to go through this. :ukraine:

(also, do not go down Wikipedia or Twitter); focus on what is first (your family) and donate to what you can (Ukranian refugees and relief organizations of all sort).

Also, value your mental health above all. It may seem a selfish thing; but for you, your partner, and your children, it is paramount.

AJA fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 5, 2022

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fritz the Horse posted:

Temporary mod decision on bloodlust: wishing death on Russian soldiers is borderline. Definitely don't get weird/graphic about it, don't wish or advocate for war crimes to be perpetrated on Russians, and don't wish for violence on Russian civilians.

We still need to have some more mod team discussion but for the mean time the above will be thread rule about bloodlust posting. I know a lot of posters are (justifiably) angry and there's been a lot of venting in the thread today, it's generated a lot of reports so I wanted to get out ahead of any further conversation.

Sure, mate. Go ask Both Sides Jeffery what he thinks we should be allowed to say about the crimes against humanity army. Let us know what he says.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Rinkles posted:

WCG's posting was weird and often tasteless well before the invasion

I've had him on ignore for years for a reason.

Seriously though, some of the posting is too much, y'all need less doomscrolling and more ready.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

It also extremely has not looked that green within the arctic circle this year yet. It's an old picture.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Finnmark is also still covered in snow right now, and that looks very much like a mid-summer birch forest.

Though apparently it's a real sign, just put up some time ago for idiot tourists:

https://twitter.com/PetterA62/status/1509089859075547138

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh is *that* what's originating all this bullshit filtering into the forums and other communities?

It's one of several parallel tracks. I don't know if this particular one is directly or indirectly funded, but they do crossover material and a tremendous amount of mediating/legitimating propaganda work for other countries. Also worth noting, there's not really much of a limitation on Russian propaganda spends targeting the US- very little of that stuff was coming direct from people employed by RT (sputnik international is still funding Ted Rall, for instance), and right now a lot of their apparatus is targeting other countries.

Baronjutter posted:

It was amazing seeing the sudden drop of the russian-backed western mouthpieces once sanctions hit but so many of them seem to be back now. I guess Russia found alternative ways to get the money flowing again? Then again I don't don't that there's more than enough useful idiots willing to work for free.

One of the "great" things about this kind of work is that if you're targeting preexisting divisions and fringe groups (or if you're successful enough, creating your own), then eventually you build a domestic demand and market support for the messages, a self-radicalizing market loop. It's how entities like infowars can snowball. That said, very few of the outlets I've seen doing this can afford to be very big.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 5, 2022

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Shogeton posted:

On that note, one thing I hope Europe will do is to open their doors to Russian refugees. Plenty of folks probably see the way the wind is going, and probably want to get the gently caress out of here. There's a ton of Russians (think LGBT, minorities, etc) who might be threatened by purges themselves, and even the ones who aren't might want to get out of the country now that it's going fully 'masks off' either out of disgust for what is happening, or simply out of self-preservation.

At least for countries bordering Russia it's a bit of an untenable suggestion since Russia has made having a Russian-speaking minority a huge liability.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

Finnmark is also still covered in snow right now, and that looks very much like a mid-summer birch forest.

Though apparently it's a real sign, just put up some time ago for idiot tourists:

Yeah, I found an article about it--apparently it wasn't official, and no one really knows who put it up. But yeah, it's old--from well before the invasion, at least.

https://www.nrk.no/tromsogfinnmark/...-bot-1.15626556

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

mutata posted:

Sure, mate. Go ask Both Sides Jeffery what he thinks we should be allowed to say about the crimes against humanity army. Let us know what he says.

its not genocide if its too hip