Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I’m not going to make fun of the Epic Store for awhile. Fantastic loving work by Tim Sweeney, Epic, its partners, and (slight vomit) fortnite players.

Really 144 MILLION USD. Just awesome.

https://twitter.com/fortnitegame/status/1510981457195454474?s=21&t=CLPvBo-tMnDl4q2iMQdyag

That's cool, not just profit but their entire turnover for that period.

I know the game is a money printer but this is a fantastic thing to have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

VDV: "Where we droppin', boys?"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

(slight vomit) fortnite players.

Rumour goes they have a strong lobby in this thread.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my guess is they realized how bad this looks and how it looks like the early "holocaust by bullets" days and realized they had to at least say something.

Have to think there has been some pressure from the thousands of Jewish Ukrainian refugees who have fled to the country as well.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I’m not going to make fun of the Epic Store for awhile. Fantastic loving work by Tim Sweeney, Epic, its partners, and (slight vomit) fortnite players.

https://twitter.com/fortnitegame/status/1510981457195454474?s=21&t=CLPvBo-tMnDl4q2iMQdyag

It's like finding out that guy fieri is a really nice guy. You just can't hate them anymore.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1511344343243755538

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Israeli government, probably: "Hey, gunning down unarmed protesters in occupied territory is our shtick!"

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Kenya ambassador to UN laying it down. “Ukraine May now become a model for a new generation of disastrous wars.”

E: and calling for reform of the security council.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/sdbernard/status/1511357614336135168

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Sergei Galyonkin, creator of Steam Spy and currently Director of Publishing Strategy at Epic is originally from Ukraine, so no doubt that he pushed that, good job on him

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/sergiykyslytsya/status/1511374281887911943?s=21&t=-o_wE8xp-s4sLbhtnUa0Bw

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

VDV: "Where we droppin', boys?"

I thought you said kickin kievvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Foreign volunteer in Mariupol says its real
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1511233051816337409?s=20&t=UUC9YLSG_2Py8agOVTgaDA

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

This article is weak poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Peace through Force"

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1511359412971216902?s=20&t=OF2YVeosVKBbxEQTk9bG7Q

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Do Marines really wear their berets in combat? I thought they were just an annoying thing you had to wear for parade?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Some disagreement, apparently (also some lack of clarity regarding what units exactly were involved--501st? 503rd? Something else?):

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1511238804690153478

The Express is tabloid garbage, though (and Ponomarenko obviously has biases). Ultimately, I'd go with "probably real," although numbers and units are less clear.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 5, 2022

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah this is similar to LAIRCM in the US DOD: https://www.dote.osd.mil/Portals/97...eat%20missiles.

Hrm, are you guys sure? In the first article it says, "The Russians refer to the system as invincible." That claim doesn't seem to tally up with the footage we're seeing.

:ignorance: :ninja:

(on a more serious note, interesting articles, thanks for the clarification!)

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

UN SC lazy summary

Mexico - standard, similar to Gabon, less pointed than Albania/Kenya

India - "negotiation is the only way to end this" "none of this should be ~politicized~ and the UN needs to remain impartial" "we've sent humanitarian support to Ukraine and to neighboring countries" "we reiterate the importance of respecting 'territorial integrity' of every nation"

China - Similar to India but slightly more aggressively hitting on the points that the UN should be neutral and keep responses to this conflict 'non-political'. Unsurprisingly China is very concerned about the sanctions imposed, says they qualify as 'weaponizing international trade'. Say they qualify as unwillingly involving countries in the conflict due to the knock-on effects of sanctions, and the UN needs to avoid such things.

Seems to aknowlege that this conflict will rightfully make small/medium sized countries concerned about the risks to themselves, and the UN needs to be more active in trying to 'bring Ukraine and Russia to the table to resolve their many differences'. Pointedly states that China does not 'sit on the sidelines passively' and want this conflict to end.

Not surprising that China is worried about sanctions - it sets an unfortunate for them precedent of consequences for invading territories where your country has staked a historic claim. I wonder if they are leaning a little harder on Russia in the background now that the EU has shown they aren't planning to drop sanctions any time soon.

France speaking now - similar to Albania so far

Edit: note on India: They did condemn the killings but IMO did not explicitly assign responsibility to Russia, so the below is accurate but not as big a deal as implied
https://twitter.com/Rezhasan/status/1511376080250490882?s=20&t=mYbJg1B9eO8I9XlRdu_6Sg

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 5, 2022

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Staluigi posted:

Claims that russia is assembling militarily against Ukraine is hysterical russophobia

There won't be an invasion obviously, the deployment is for political maneuvering

The invasion is strictly targeted at separatist regions not the whole country

Claims that they have kill lists to purge the Ukrainians are hysterical russophobia

The invasion won't take long, Kyiv will fall swiftly

They were just testing Ukraine out with disposable units, the real attack will commence soon

Ukraine's military is doing the best they can but russian numbers will simply overwhelm them

Only russia is making any strategic gains

The Ukrainians need to surrender to minimize bloodshed since they can't win

The russians will learn from their failures, regroup and reorganize tactically

Their specialty has always been long-term artillery shelling, they'll bomb the Ukrainians into exhaustion

Claims of emerging russian war crimes are hysterical russophobia

The next phase of the invasion will surround and FLATTEN Kyiv, it's not in question

They'll reposition their northern troops and divide the country in two

They'll redeploy their troops and consolidate the terroritory in the east

Claims that the mass civilian murders discovered are comparable to past massacres are hysterical russophobia

They'll reconsolidate with fresh manpower and hardware and hold out in their current positions

They'll reconsolidate with fresh manpower and hardware and hold out at a fallback zone

They'll dig in and fortify in limited portions of the separatist region <-- WE ARE HERE

They'll use massive buffer zones to limit insurrectionist attrition to keep a foothold in the country

Claims that russian troops killed THAT many people to fill THAT many mass graves are hysterical russophobia

Their specialty was always long distance attrition, They'll keep denazifying from across a secure border

They'll be able to hold out in Crimea it's simply been held too long

The Ukranian forces simply can't deploy all the way to Moscow AND St. Petersburg, the leadership is safe

There are no Ukranian tanks in Moscow

Zelenskyy will swiftly apologize for slapping putin at the oscars. this will not stand

You're misremembering the end of the book, Peter Wiggin became hegemon not Zelenskyy

The separatist tankie regions of something awful will survive on proceeds from avatar switch sales

Look putin just came out and said it was just a prank bro it was just for his youtube channel bro

:thurman::thurman::thurman:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/tothcsabatibor/status/1511250679280640000

:anime:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

quote:

Ukraine will become a “‘big Israel' with its own face,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy declared on Tuesday, indicating that his country intends to emulate the Israeli security state in the wake of Russia’s invasion.

“Ukraine will definitely not be what we wanted it to be from the beginning. It is impossible. Absolutely liberal, European – it will not be like that. It [Ukraine] will definitely come from the strength of every house, every building, every person,” Zelenskyy told members of the Ukrainian media during a briefing.

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/.premium-zelenskyy-says-post-war-ukraine-will-emulate-israel-won-t-be-liberal-european-1.10721395

Later in the article Zelenskyy says Ukraine won't be authoritarian. So I guess an "illiberal democracy" of some sort is what he pictures

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

:smithicide:

Can someone help me and my Russian wife relocate from Hungary before this whole poo poo burns to the ground? Thanks!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
:nms: https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1511346270853545997 :nms:

some little shits bragging about his war crimes. he is going to kharkiv now.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Count Roland posted:

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/.premium-zelenskyy-says-post-war-ukraine-will-emulate-israel-won-t-be-liberal-european-1.10721395

Later in the article Zelenskyy says Ukraine won't be authoritarian. So I guess an "illiberal democracy" of some sort is what he pictures

This seems... unfortunate?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1511331834663247873?s=20&t=CHwxmlBNPUeTmNvvWQsCVw

Unless I'm missing something this latter move being considered sounds like it's inching dangerously close to letting Ukraine use Slovakia and the Czech Republic as a staging area which is the kind of thing Biden and Stoltenberg would absolutely oppose.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SourKraut posted:

Thank Russia for that, I think it also seems like they’re borrowing from the older Swiss model too. You can’t really blame them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Count Roland posted:

It’s just going to be heavily militarised, with military being a societal cornerstone, akin to South Korea - which was entirely predictable, and called before itt. You don’t need enamour yourself with religious fascism (Poland) or elect a pseudo-dictator (Hungary) to build a strong military tradition.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PerilPastry posted:

Unless I'm missing something this latter move being considered sounds like it's inching dangerously close to letting Ukraine use Slovakia and the Czech Republic as a staging area which is the kind of thing Biden and Stoltenberg would absolutely oppose.

It's probably a lot safer now that the western half of Ukraine is clear of Russians and entirely out of danger. It's in 'what are you going to do about it?' territory.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

SourKraut posted:

"big Israel" meaning the country is under existential threat from its neighbors (even though the situation is obviously very different as to how it got there), so things like mandatory conscription will be necessary. I also think Zelensky is looking at the strong foothold Russia managed to gain in the liberal democracies of Europe and in its neighboring illiberal democracies and is trying to figure out how to balance combating the aggressor at its border with allowing freedom of speech and freedom of association. Ukraine is going to be in a precarious situation always looking over its shoulder as long as the Russian Federation is allowed to exist in its current form, and especially as long as Putin is in power.

edit: Why are they letting the Russian ambassador speak again? Going full speed ahead with claiming all the civilian killings have been staged.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 5, 2022

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s just going to be heavily militarised, with military being a societal cornerstone, akin to South Korea - which was entirely predictable, and called before itt. You don’t need enamour yourself with religious fascism (Poland) or elect a pseudo-dictator (Hungary) to build a strong military tradition.

Well he specifically said it wouldn't be liberal, which is why I used that term.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Youth Decay posted:

"big Israel" meaning the country is under existential threat from its neighbors (even though the situation is obviously very different as to how it got there), so things like mandatory conscription will be necessary. I also think Zelensky is looking at the strong foothold Russia managed to gain in the liberal democracies of Europe and in its neighboring illiberal democracies and is trying to figure out how to balance combating the aggressor at its border with allowing freedom of speech and freedom of association. Ukraine is going to be in a precarious situation always looking over its shoulder as long as the Russian Federation is allowed to exist in its current form, and especially as long as Putin is in power.

edit: Why are they letting the Russian ambassador speak again? Going full speed ahead with claiming all the civilian killings have been staged.

I mean that’s what we hope it means. It could easily go a much darker direction.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

PerilPastry posted:

Good! We've been pussyfooting around 'oh no, Russia will see this as escalation and they have scary nukes' for long enough, it's high time to let THEM worry about having to attack NATO members for a change.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

uXs posted:

Good! We've been pussyfooting around 'oh no, Russia will see this as escalation and they have scary nukes' for long enough, it's high time to let THEM worry about having to attack NATO members for a change.
Personally, I'm very much on team restraint as far as NATO is concerned, but as to your larger point:
The military analysts I've read suggest that's been happening all along: Supposedly the fear of a NATO intervention is precisely what's forced the Russians to keep a lot of their airpower in reserve.

Alchenar posted:

It's probably a lot safer now that the western half of Ukraine is clear of Russians and entirely out of danger. It's in 'what are you going to do about it?' territory.

I suppose you're right. What truly baffles me is why these potential plans keep being aired semi-publicly? Is it to gauge the Russian response and give back channels time to find the red line of "we'd consider you a co-combatant if you do this"? As I understand it that's what killed the send the MiGs via Mannheim airbase scheme.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 5, 2022

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PerilPastry posted:

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1511331834663247873?s=20&t=CHwxmlBNPUeTmNvvWQsCVw

Literally no different than Belarus, russia trying to strike Slovakia would lead to a swift end in the Ukrainian conflict

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Count Roland posted:

Well he specifically said it wouldn't be liberal, which is why I used that term.

He specifically said “absolutely liberal, European”, which rather transparently reads as code for having militarised society and large peacetime army, since EU is not famous for its military prowess. This will mean a surveillance state, yeah, but that doesn’t necessitate an autocracy or an “illiberal democracy”, cf. United Kingdom.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

He specifically said “absolutely liberal, European”, which rather transparently reads as code for having militarised society and large peacetime army, since EU is not famous for its military prowess. This will mean a surveillance state, yeah, but that doesn’t necessitate an autocracy or an “illiberal democracy”, cf. United Kingdom.

The UK is not really an example of an illiberal democracy, Singapore is a far more accurate one. Honestly, I think one most Singaporeans would agree with.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The UK is not really an example of an illiberal democracy, Singapore is a far more accurate one. Honestly, I think one most Singaporeans would agree with.

That confirms my point then, since I was bringing an example of a surveillance state that remains a broadly liberal democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I think they meant the UK is a survellaince state with IE: a metric fuckton of cameras everywhere.

E: f/b.