Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

also a 40+ reply thread about how badly a crab spider (that half the town was completely convinced was a brown recluse despite looking nothing at all like a brown recluse other than being a brown spider) was going to kill them and their children in their sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Rockman Reserve posted:

i opened Nextdoor a few days ago and one of the top posts was some loving brain donor openly wondering what kind of minority would break into their fenced backyard to steal their bird feeders, as if raccoons didn’t exist

gently caress people

My personal fave is when they say "im a HOMEOWNER" as if that makes them somehow superior/more important than the various renters that might be posting

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rockman Reserve posted:

i opened Nextdoor a few days ago and one of the top posts was some loving brain donor openly wondering what kind of minority would break into their fenced backyard to steal their bird feeders, as if raccoons didn’t exist

gently caress people

Goddamn, dark teenaged islamics kicking back in their thieves' den deep in the ghetto, munching handfuls of purloined songbird seed mix and laughing, laughing, laughing

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Bismuth posted:

My personal fave is when they say "im a HOMEOWNER" as if that makes them somehow superior/more important than the various renters that might be posting

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

me walking down the street in a cardboard box with a door and windows drawn on it after our rent goes up another $50

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Depending on the area, I kind of get the home owner thing. When EaDo in Houston first started taking off and they were tearing everything down to throw up townhouse, there was alot of friction between the old married couples that thought they bought their retirement home and the people that bought them just to Air BNB them for sporting events or rent them to college kids. Although to be fair to the homeowners, the block I lived on had alot of really loud random parties at 4 am on a Wednesday ending in literal gunfights in the street.

I feel like most people clamoring to tell you that they are a homeowner are not in that sort of situation.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Hi my wife is in intensive care with covid, so know any good cleaning services?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pragmatic!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Brawnfire posted:

Pragmatic!

She's busy enough as an admin, please don't bother her to go clean some boomer's house.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i put the homo in homeowner and i

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Eh I think putting all that in the ad is unnecessary but after my dad died one of the most surreal aspects was that you still have to, like, wash dishes and take out the rubbish and feed the cat and clean the bathroom. If I could have hired someone to deal with all that for a week or two while we sat around in shock I would have.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also please be fit and under 40 as my wife may have been dead for hours and well, I’m a bit lonely and miss the company of a woman

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

MarxCarl posted:

:stare:

I swear, some people are anti-vax/anti-mask because they’re trying to kill someone close to them.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Eh I think putting all that in the ad is unnecessary but after my dad died one of the most surreal aspects was that you still have to, like, wash dishes and take out the rubbish and feed the cat and clean the bathroom. If I could have hired someone to deal with all that for a week or two while we sat around in shock I would have.

Maybe it's a bunch of lies for the purpose of trying for a cheap, pity-based house cleaning quote.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Pfft, everyone knows weddings and funerals are when you triple your prices

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ironhead posted:

Depending on the area, I kind of get the home owner thing. When EaDo in Houston first started taking off and they were tearing everything down to throw up townhouse, there was alot of friction between the old married couples that thought they bought their retirement home and the people that bought them just to Air BNB them for sporting events or rent them to college kids. Although to be fair to the homeowners, the block I lived on had alot of really loud random parties at 4 am on a Wednesday ending in literal gunfights in the street.

I feel like most people clamoring to tell you that they are a homeowner are not in that sort of situation.

My home was built in 2014 and only has 90,000 miles on it!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MarxCarl posted:

God drat, that's pretty grim. Anticipating what I assume is relatives and friends coming over when she dies.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Chief McHeath posted:

People around me are really loving mad about kids playing ding-dong-ditch, the "game" where you knock on someone's door/ring the doorbell and run out of sight before they can get to the door.

Why? I remember when I was a kid I thought this was serious business.

Any time I’ve caught kids in my adult life I thought it was adorable. I remember one time I sent my brother around the back and I came out the front and chased them over to my bro. Lol they were screaming their heads off as they ran off wherever.

I wouldn’t have done anything to them. I just didn’t want to deny them the thrill of narrowly escaping imagined prison/death. They’ll remember that adventure forever.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Internet Old One posted:

Why? I remember when I was a kid I thought this was serious business.

Any time I’ve caught kids in my adult life I thought it was adorable. I remember one time I sent my brother around the back and I came out the front and chased them over to my bro. Lol they were screaming their heads off as they ran off wherever.

I wouldn’t have done anything to them. I just didn’t want to deny them the thrill of narrowly escaping imagined prison/death. They’ll remember that adventure forever.

Tresspass = death

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
New Vancouver Island Nextdoor Updates:

Someone is selling old planter boxes.

Keith the "handyman carpenter" moved in.

Also Raiel the "Spiritual Investigator" (seriously wtf is that?)

People complaining about a beaver dam.

Well, that's all for today, what a boring island.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:lol:

I remember when I was a kid I was playing with my cousin at a creek and we were afraid of the Vice Lords. It was the late 80s early 90s.

When I was in high school my friend and I were walking through a neighborhood full of boring McMansions and he straightened out his hat. “Oh man I almost got caught with my hat to the left in this hood”. This is in a neighborhood where you can leave your bike unlocked for years before it gets stolen.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Internet Old One posted:

When I was in high school my friend and I were walking through a neighborhood full of boring McMansions and he straightened out his hat. “Oh man I almost got caught with my hat to the left in this hood”. This is in a neighborhood where you can leave your bike unlocked for years before it gets stolen.

White kids pretending how "hood" they are, and how tough their suburban, white-ish collar, both parents, low end land rover, bmw and mercedes driving neighborhood is has been going on since the early 80s.

"bro its like compton, I saw the cops driving down my street the other day".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, especially given he'll have good reason to be just mentally destroyed and exhausted, as well as dealing with relatives and assorted bullshit. Having a clean house he doesn't have to worry about for a bit is probably one of the most sensible reactions.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Isn't the "nextdoor" part of this a boomer giving waaaay too much information in a classified for simple labor?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Soul Dentist posted:

Isn't the "nextdoor" part of this a boomer giving waaaay too much information in a classified for simple labor?

Yeah, that's part of what we're talking about. I just find it interesting sometimes to reflect on what grief can be like and how totally weird it is that the world continues being normal in other ways. Like - I got my period during my dad's funeral. Went to the bathroom to wash my face because I'd been crying and welp, there it is, mundanity just loving crashing in and a new logistical issue to worry about despite everything else I needed to handle that day.

It's overused since Four Weddings and a Funeral but that poem about 'stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone' speaks to that feeling, I think. Like, what the gently caress do you mean I need to find sanitary products right now, my loving dad is dead, what the gently caress.

...anyway how about them HOAs

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Any time I see HOA written I pronounce it like a rimy old Mainer yelling "whore!"

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Soul Dentist posted:

Pretty much. Another important thing to remember is that this guy’s been with his wife through eleven years of very touch-and-go health issues. That kind of long term caretaking tends to make you off-puttingly frank about death. I get the impression he’s trying to prepare for the worst before it happens, so in the event he has to deal with the emotional apocalypse of all the various things put into motion when your partner dies, he will at least not have to worry about keeping house on top of it.

More old goblins confusing the end results of raccoons pillaging their poo poo for phantom hoodlums, please.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Mellow_ posted:

New Vancouver Island Nextdoor Updates:

... Raiel the "Spiritual Investigator" (seriously wtf is that?)

I feel the presence of spirits... many, many, many malignant spirits. Dozens of them.

(Coughs)

This isn't going to be cheap, I'm afraid.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

That island attracts some real mystics. Can't go 2 feet without tripping over a tarot reading or a seance. Every child has a ouija board.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I end every date who asks for my sign.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

No. 6 posted:

I end every date who asks for my sign.

Yeah, if someone asks my birthday and then they're like "oh, you're a gemini!" I know to dumb things down for them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If you want to test them, insist you're a "cusp"

I've done that on twitter, gets 'em frothy

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
what's a cusp

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

A cusple of deez nuts lol got em

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's like "between" two signs, like a Libra-Scorpio cusp. Lots of people angrily insist it doesn't exist, you can only be one or the other. Many others angrily insist it does.

It doesn't, but boy will they talk about it. When they get out charts...

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Haha yeah, spiritualism is stupid, take that strawmen!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Haha yeah, spiritualism is stupid, take that strawmen!

I don't need strawmen. I know people into Human Design.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Indolent Bastard posted:

I don't need strawmen. I know people into Human Design.

I've met those people too.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Spiritualist stuff is pointless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I fed 20,000 Nextdoor posts into an AI script and I got the following:

quote:

I asked an urban man to fix my house and he said it would be 600 dollars. Can anyone do it for 30? Also he was looking at my begonias like he was thinking about stealing them. Did anyone hear that shooting? Did anyone see a coyote? Why don't kids work hard anymore and why don't kids go outside and why don't kids salute me when I hassle the grocery store clerk when I try to redeem my very slightly expired coupons???