Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Rinkles posted:

Is it the grasp they have over media?

Pretty sure. 12 our of the 14 voting districts of Budapest were won by the opposition. The countryside is under total media control tho.

mobby_6kl posted:

No worries putin will come to denazify you any moment now

These are the nazis paid by Putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Pretty sure. 12 our of the 14 voting districts of Budapest were won by the opposition. The countryside is under total media control tho.
Sounds familiar lol. Are there any district maps yet? Our media just mentioned the high level results.

I know :negative:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Hungarian politics really does confuse me. Based on Hungarian history I would expect it to be extremely anti-russian, but Orban is in no way hiding that he's Putin's stooge.

Also saw a snippet of his victory speech where he blamed everything bad on either specific Jews of dogwhistle terms for Jews so I'm waiting with trepidation to see what he does with his supermajority this time

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

PiS was floating an idea of FPTP in rural areas (where they have a majority/plurality so 100% of seats go to them) and proportional in the cities (where the opposition has a majority/plurality, so PiS captures some votes there as well). I'm assuming that Hungary has a similar system (and this is where PiS got the idea from), or is it all FPTP?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mmkay posted:

PiS was floating an idea of FPTP in rural areas (where they have a majority/plurality so 100% of seats go to them) and proportional in the cities (where the opposition has a majority/plurality, so PiS captures some votes there as well). I'm assuming that Hungary has a similar system (and this is where PiS got the idea from), or is it all FPTP?

Holy poo poo I haven't heard of that but that's an amazingly bold strategy. I'm quite sure even the republicans didn't think of this yet.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fidesz 2/3 majority, nazis got in as well. No hope in this country.

loving hell, that’s way wider than the speculated difference of a few percentage points.
:negative:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

loving hell, that’s way wider than the speculated difference of a few percentage points.
:negative:

Think it's legitimate, or did he fudge the numbers somehow?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

My personal opinion is that Orban good enough at tampering with the electoral process, with his media control and all, that there’s no need for his party to do any much ballot stuffing or other direct numbers fudging.

Problem is his pre-election tampering is done competently enough that no one can really interfere.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Charlz Guybon posted:

I think its "legitimate" as much as it can be, with the mail in ballots from abroad being collected by Fidesz stooges and Fidesz controlling 90% of the media. Opposition parties had exactly 5 minutes given to them on state TV in 4 years. Fidesz has basically infinite resources for campaigning as they blur the lines between "government information" and "Fidesz campaign", while the opposition barely has anything and constantly gets fined by the state.

mmkay posted:

Hungary uses a mixed system. Everyone basically casts two votes, one on a candidate from their district with FPTP, this gives 106 seats out of the 199 required. And one nationwide party list which uses proportional representation for the remaining 93 seats. This is why such things like Fidesz getting 46% of the votes but that somehow translates to 2/3 majority can happen.

I guess I dont have to explain the colours on these maps.
Hungary

Budapest

Edit:
To have some good news as well. The homophobic referendum held at the same time as the election failed due to the amount of invalid votes cast. :shobon:

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 4, 2022

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Emperor Vučić won easily in Serbia. He won personally in the first round for the president, he has over 50% of the parliament with his allies, and it looks like he won Belgrade too, just with a very small margin.

You can say this is worse than before because not only you still have him, but now far right opposition made significant progress.

Or maybe it's better than before because on the last elections the opposition gambled on a half-assed boycott and ended up achieving nothing, and left Vučić with literal 100% of the power. Now there is at least some leftish opposition, and they have a solid representation in parliament and in Belgrade. Croatia had a similar situation in the previous elections and then last year they won Zagreb in a landslide so optimists (the few that still exist) are hoping for a similar outcome in the next Serbian elections..

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 4, 2022

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So yeah Fidesz basically owns the entirety of the traditional media in Hungary and they have a pretty big position in facebook as well, so even on the internet they have a huge presence.

However I would personally still blame the opposition party because all they could do in the last 12 years is to to unite multiple parties in the ballot only, but not in policy, messaging or even a central figure until the very last moment (this kinda hosed up the fidesz messaging as they were expecting the old PM to come back, but they didn't care, the messaging still kind of worked). The opposition was made out of center-left, center-right and straight up far-right parties so no wonder they couldn't come to a common ground. Looking at the map shows that opposition basically had no presence outside of the capital, and this isn't just propaganda and gerrymandering, they were straight up ignored. I keep hearing activists living outside how they had 1-2 opposition rallies and up to 20-50 fidesz rallies. Like we can cry how rural people are stupid and easy to control and there is no money, but if you just straight up ignore them then no loving wonder you lost.

Kinda funny how we cry how we are getting further from the west, yet we do the exact same political errors as they do.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Bholder posted:

So yeah Fidesz basically owns the entirety of the traditional media in Hungary and they have a pretty big position in facebook as well, so even on the internet they have a huge presence.

However I would personally still blame the opposition party because all they could do in the last 12 years is to to unite multiple parties in the ballot only, but not in policy, messaging or even a central figure until the very last moment (this kinda hosed up the fidesz messaging as they were expecting the old PM to come back, but they didn't care, the messaging still kind of worked). The opposition was made out of center-left, center-right and straight up far-right parties so no wonder they couldn't come to a common ground. Looking at the map shows that opposition basically had no presence outside of the capital, and this isn't just propaganda and gerrymandering, they were straight up ignored. I keep hearing activists living outside how they had 1-2 opposition rallies and up to 20-50 fidesz rallies. Like we can cry how rural people are stupid and easy to control and there is no money, but if you just straight up ignore them then no loving wonder you lost.

Kinda funny how we cry how we are getting further from the west, yet we do the exact same political errors as they do.

I have to agree. Not only people in the rural areas were ignored but also the ones abroad as usual. I think Márki-Zay was also a bad choice with all the crazy poo poo he was saying (I just can't trust conservative christians), Dobrev would have been similarly a bad idea with the rampant chauvinism in this country and her being Gyurcsány's wife, propaganda would have taken her apart. Karácsony is not perfect, but in my opinion would have been the best choice even tho I'm not sure if things would have turned out different at the elections or not.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Our defence minister has figured out the real purpose of the war in Ukraine – to grant him ammunition to deal with his posting enemies on Twitter.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Pabriks is a Twitter boomer, but he's on the record for having tried to roll with punches at least a couple of times. My favourite tweet of his was a couple of years back when he got mad about an American pancake mix not sold in Latvia changing their packaging to be more inclusive or less racist and swore to not to buy it again.

The latest spat is interesting though and could have real life implications for press freedom to the point where it would almost be worth a small effortpost which I won't make.

The tldr is that the nationalists are still loving mad at Leonid Ragozin and Re:Baltica for that Azov article they collaborated on a few years back and have been trying to cancel Ragozin and R:B ever since. They've also been mad at the public broadcaster for about a decade for reasons I've honestly forgotten. LGBT propaganda? Portrayal of 2016 refugee crisis? Refusal to acknowledge glorious achievments of Vyšegrad countries? Who knows.

Giving Ragozin airtime on the Russian public media channel kicked off (among the usual suspects at least) a minor witch hunt for journalists "toeing the Kremlin line". It could impact the public media, unfortunately.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, SEPLP is fighting back, but I’m really not a fan of Pabriks playing fast and loose with rhetoric. Thankfully, neither Rinkēvičs not Golubeva seem to be particularly interested in pandering to his spat with Ragozin. That doesn’t stop him from posting poo poo like this though:

https://twitter.com/pabriks/status/1511000241448833030

As for the public media, I think that conservatives can just stay mad. Despite their yelling, there doesn’t seem to be much popular support for gutting it further - if anything, it feels like there may finally be momentum to do something about providing Russian speakers an alternative to Russian information space.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

a podcast for cats posted:

The tldr is that the nationalists are still loving mad at Leonid Ragozin and Re:Baltica for that Azov article they collaborated on a few years back and have been trying to cancel Ragozin and R:B ever since.

i never knew quite what this was, only had heard about it vaguely or seen people getting in twitter spats with Ragozin, despite his seeming pretty normal. have now looked it up and oh, lol, that makes a lot more sense now.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2WH8mHJnhM

Play as you read the announcement.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1511646924444770313

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

You have to respect a man who dies like three or four times before it finally sticks

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I think we should send the virus a get well soon card for catching a long case of zhirinovsky.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Seems EU is finally trying to move against Orbán. Can this actually hurt him in any meaningful way?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Seems EU is finally trying to move against Orbán. Can this actually hurt him in any meaningful way?

This can completely destroy him, since Hungary is a failed state without EU cash inflows. The question is if Orban is more popular with Hungarians than the EU.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

What a shame.

:toot:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This can completely destroy him, since Hungary is a failed state without EU cash inflows. The question is if Orban is more popular with Hungarians than the EU.
He does seem to be legit popular and has control of the media so he might be able to spin everything to his advantage, but I'm not Hungarian so I dunno.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

Right now I'm checking out how much property costs in Slovenia...

I dunno about that my dude. Janša *is* being funded by Orban.

And the left is more and more inept the more the war in Ukraine goes on. I swear those people must be drinking lead or something. Can't wait to move out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TearsOfPirates posted:

And the left is more and more inept the more the war in Ukraine goes on. I swear those people must be drinking lead or something. Can't wait to move out.

This a bummer, I had the impression Slovenia had its poo poo together the most out of the Yugoslav countries.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

TearsOfPirates posted:

Yeah I turned my gaze towards Romania now. :shepface:

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

mobby_6kl posted:

This a bummer, I had the impression Slovenia had its poo poo together the most out of the Yugoslav countries.

We do, but we also don't. It also doesn't help that a lot of people are moving out because the country is steering just slightly more right every day and the pay is pretty much poo poo and not going up at all.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah I turned my gaze towards Romania now. :shepface:

Extremely poor, barely in EU.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

TearsOfPirates posted:

Although JJ being suddenly pro-Ukrainian sure is a great way to avoid paying his dept. It has been funny watching RTV "just asking questions" in the lead up to the war, then being ordered to do a 180 afterwards.

TearsOfPirates posted:

This is by design. There is another new anti-Janša party being fronted for the election in a few weeks and they could "win", like Cerar and Šarec before. It won't solve anything and will just be another few years before Janša is back again.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Extremely poor, barely in EU.

Oh I know. I'm more about the "cheap" factor. If I could afford it I would move to the west.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oh I know. I'm more about the "cheap" factor. If I could afford it I would move to the west.

What about the Czech Republic, my dude. Not quite "west" but not too hosed up either

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Why don’t we all move to Latvia - with all the EE thread goons moving there, we could easilly account for like 70% of the electorate, plus we have an IK there already.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

Why don’t we all move to Latvia - with all the EE thread goons moving there, we could easilly account for like 70% of the electorate, plus we have an IK there already.

Even after reading your posts for 8 years, I wouldn’t suggest that to you.

:v:

That’s fair enough.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

If I ever move from Poland one of the main criteria would be "how far away is the nearest border with Russia. Present idea is either Portugal or Canaries.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

alex314 posted:

If I ever move from Poland one of the main criteria would be "how far away is the nearest border with Russia. Present idea is either Portugal or Canaries.

Azores seem to be the best of both worlds - Portuguese and middle of the Atlantic :v:

Seriously though, don't move to an island. I've lived on one for quite some time and it is it's own unique flavour of suck.

If I had to pick an EE location to move to (other than Latvia), it'd be Czechia or Slovakia, but it's based mostly on superficial impressions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If I were moving to somewhere in EE, it would likely be Czechia, maybe Croatia - but also based merely on colleagues I’ve had from those countries, I’ve visited neither. Ultimately, I’m also privileged enough to just work remotely, so moving away from Latvia means taking substantial financial hit for non-existential (yet) reason, which I guess is a nice problem to have.

And yeah gently caress islands. I briefly lived in Puerto Rico and it was impossible to get a fresh vegetable salad in a restaurant. Stuff like Azores or Canaries must suck so much more in the long run, if you care about anything other than stable summer weather and sea beaches.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If I were moving to somewhere in EE, it would likely be Czechia, maybe Croatia.

Yeah, I'd recommend against it. We are on downward spiral, our hopelessly corrupt ruling party is currently unchallenged and will stay in power for foreseeable future, we currently second poorest EU nation and there are no signs that things will ever get better. But at least food is nice, coast is pretty but people are garbage.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

How about eastern Slovakia then? We have low prices(lower than the Bratislava-Vienna region at least), a conservative-but-not-far-right government (the only in V4), plenty of Hungarian speakers, alpine mountains, no saltwater shoreline, but a few lakes and it's only about 3 hours to Budapest.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gervasius posted:

Yeah, I'd recommend against it. We are on downward spiral, our hopelessly corrupt ruling party is currently unchallenged and will stay in power for foreseeable future, we currently second poorest EU nation and there are no signs that things will ever get better. But at least food is nice, coast is pretty but people are garbage.

:rip: In my old job we had a Serbian team with a Croatian lead, which led to a lot of really funny banter.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gervasius posted:

Eastern Europe: We are on downward spiral
:hmmyes:

I'd certainly like nice weather year-round but not enough to confime myself to a lovely island. Southern Spain or Italy are relatively poor but not too bad IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

From just having driven through there and been to a restaurant with run by an incredibly talky elder immigrant from there, I always thought Slovenia seemed like the nicest EE country to live in, it's like Northern Italy or Austria without the Italians or Austria.

Though maybe it doesn't count as Eastern Europe, I dunno.

e: Ah, I seem to have missed the point of why this was being discussed. Disregard. Still seems like a decentish place to visit at least, maybe live, but that's probably a more complicated question.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 6, 2022