Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

nwin posted:

No kidding? I’ll have to look into that. Literally the only redeeming thing I like about my nest is the ability to change the temperature while I’m in bed or coming home from vacation.

I have a honeywell (people in this thread say they suck but I do enjoy the fact that I can have my thermostat in one room, but then a separate sensor upstairs can regulate the temps for when I'm sleeping, and the Livingroom one can work for daytime when I'm not upstairs). And during the pandemic that's what I used it for the most. Coming home from in-laws 3 hours away, change the temps to not vacation mode for either heating or cooling. You can also say during the day look for activity on Livingroom/bedroom/whatever sensors, or use geofence. Caveat.. it's sometimes a pain in the rear end for geofencing and sometimes it thinks I'm not home.

you can get basic wi-fi thermostats that do not have learning etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Across my house, my dad's house, and their beach house, we have 6 Honeywell units. They're pretty good, sometimes their back end is a little fucky, but it's been pretty good. Mine uses the odd redlink thing to put the wall unit online, the others have built in wifi, and honestly I think mine is the most stable.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Honeywell is very generic, many HVAC installers order up Honeywell therms branded with their own company logos. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though, as it means a Honeywell therm will work with just about any system on the market. I know they make wifi models, and smart models that work with both madams Google and Amazon as well.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Oscillating tool

Wow, I was completely unaware of this. This looks perfect, not just for this but to have around the house in general

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

haveblue posted:

Wow, I was completely unaware of this. This looks perfect, not just for this but to have around the house in general

I bought one recently and it's amazing for so much random poo poo. So much better for making nice drywall cuts vs a drywall knife especially.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

haveblue posted:

Oh yeah, it's a game changer for a lot of odd jobs. You don't even need to buy a good one......just get something and buy nice bits for each job you can do with it.

Do not start on that job you posted. Go find a similar chunk of wood somewhere else and learn how to use it (even just a piece of 2x4). They like to skip around as you start a cut on something like that. You need to get used to it before you go doing real fine work without making a mess. You'll get used to how much pressure you need to put on it before you start a cut pretty quickly. You just don't want to do that learning on your nicely finished trim work.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 5, 2022

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I had a new vent hole cored in my foundation yesterday, and the concrete guys set an anchor to hold the coring rig against the wall. What's the best way to patch it up?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Short stainless steel bolt that sits flush with the wall and seal it with some outdoor grade silicone of a similar color to the blocks/ mortar.

Or use it as a mount for something decorative

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i'd ask them to fix it personally, but failing that what wesleywillis said

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Yeah, normally I would have expected them to, but they charged me $150 Canadian when everyone else I called wanted $400-500, so I wasn't gonna be too picky over a cosmetic fix I can do in a few minutes.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Anyone ever seen a p-trap just sorta fail? Starting smelling just a bit sewery off and on, so slight it took a while to find.

Confirmed it by stopping the drain and letting water sit in the sink, but it's definitely not a case of just an unused sink drying out. No leaks. Only think different about it is its on the opposite side of the wall from the washing machine, so the washing machine actually drains into it. Thought maybe it was draining at a higher pressure and blowing out the p-trap, but it doesn't seem to be coincide with laundry.

Only other thing I can figure is that maybe it got something in it that reduces the amount of water it can hold, so it can dry out in hours... never seen anything like that though. Gonna run a camera down there this evening I guess.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

bobua posted:

Anyone ever seen a p-trap just sorta fail? Starting smelling just a bit sewery off and on, so slight it took a while to find.

Confirmed it by stopping the drain and letting water sit in the sink, but it's definitely not a case of just an unused sink drying out. No leaks. Only think different about it is its on the opposite side of the wall from the washing machine, so the washing machine actually drains into it. Thought maybe it was draining at a higher pressure and blowing out the p-trap, but it doesn't seem to be coincide with laundry.

Only other thing I can figure is that maybe it got something in it that reduces the amount of water it can hold, so it can dry out in hours... never seen anything like that though. Gonna run a camera down there this evening I guess.

When we replaced the vanity in the upstairs bathroom before we moved in, the contractor pulled a whole rear end toothbrush plus a Hotwheels car out of the p-trap. No telling what could be lodged in there, especially if you have kids.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

bobua posted:

It's a p trap, just unscrew the nuts at each end and pull it off.

Also, did someone install it backwards? That can lead to a gunk accumulation and smells. There's good pictures here
https://www.buellinspections.com/p-traps-installing-them-properly/

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Electric stovetop has one burner that's on full blast no matter what the knob is set to (but does turn off). Guessing potentiometer or something failed. Is there any troubleshooting or replacement I can do to fix it? The others all seem to work normally. GE profile series.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Beef Of Ages posted:

No telling what could be lodged in there, especially if you have kids.

Or if anybody who has ever lived in that house has had kids, or if kids have ever visited it. I pulled a tiny travel toothbrush out of the one in my mom's house last year, and the dentist out there stopped giving those away like 15 years ago.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Cross posting this from the Home Zone thread because thread is probably more relevant.

My bathroom walls need replacement. What exactly is this?

I assume the grey is drywall, is the white plaster veneer? What ever it is, if I were to strip it and the pulled plaster ceiling, would I need to replace it with plaster or can I prime right on the drywall? (Then use a bathroom wall paint) The lovely pulled plaster walls in my garage have the same set up: flaky white layer over grey drywall

Important note: The dark spots on the blue paint are not mold or mildew. The walls were painted with not bathroom paint and someone who used to live here worked in a car shop. Not mold but extremely hard to clean.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

H110Hawk posted:

You should still go try and find the drain if you can so that you can investigate this quickly. What's the humidity outside where you live right? In Florida a ac system can start overflowing into your ceiling in basically hours. Oh it's 90f AND raining outside? Good luck air conditioner condensate drain!

Winner winner chicken dinner. The thermostat suddenly turned off (not battery powered). Called the land lord who sent out a repair team. Long story short, the drain pipe (?) was completely full and not draining properly so the AC shut off to protect itself. They blew out the drain, taught me some basics on AC maintenance, and everything is good to go (I hope).

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Hughmoris posted:

Winner winner chicken dinner. The thermostat suddenly turned off (not battery powered). Called the land lord who sent out a repair team. Long story short, the drain pipe (?) was completely full and not draining properly so the AC shut off to protect itself. They blew out the drain, taught me some basics on AC maintenance, and everything is good to go (I hope).

Yeah, improper maintenance bit me in the rear end a couple of times. Missed reminders for a couple of months in the dead of Florida summer and then I need to shop-vac out the condensate line, but that doesn't solve the bubbled laminate where the water seeped under the wall from the garage where the air handler is :shepface:

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Well, this sucks. P trap was fine.

Anything else that could make sewer gas bubble up through a single p-trap in a house? No other issues anywhere else.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Maybe try pointing a phone camera (with flash) up the pipe that drains into the trap? If the trap is installed correctly it might just be something gross stuck on the inside of the pipe.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah you're going to either have a blockage down the line prior to the vent.. or the vent is blocked.

edit: id' recommend any homeowner to buy a $30 or so endoscope so you can shove it down pipes or whatever to see wtf is going on. Or drill small 1 inch holes to see what's going on behind a wall isntead of opening it up etc.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 8, 2022

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

tater_salad posted:

yeah you're going to either have a blockage down the line prior to the vent.. or the vent is blocked.

edit: id' recommend any homeowner to buy a $30 or so endoscope so you can shove it down pipes or whatever to see wtf is going on. Or drill small 1 inch holes to see what's going on behind a wall isntead of opening it up etc.

This is really good advice! I bought one on a lark (probably because of this thread) and had a use for it almost immediately: somehow a tiny little machine screw got into my disposal and completely froze it up. The disposal was totally immobile--couldn't even be hand cranked--but thanks to the scope I was able to get the screw out of there and restore my disposal to normal function.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

tater_salad posted:

Remember that if you do this in an exterior facing wall you're just going to see insulation. :(

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Khizan posted:

Remember that if you do this in an exterior facing wall you're just going to see insulation. :(

Not if you live in the South.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

portland cement grout is supposed to take like 2-3 days before the color is consistent due to drying time, correct? and also possible efflorescence

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Khizan posted:

ahahahahahaha no, nooooo, no sir

if only

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

ahahahahahaha no, nooooo, no sir

if only

Seriously.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Not if you live in the South.

Not if you live anywhere depending exactly on your house. So many homes even in climates where heat is a life necessity don't have insulation in some or all of the walls, or it was added later and not done correctly (like blown in that wasn't packed well enough so it's now only 3/4 of the way up the wall).

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
This is why I want walls of hempcrete. It's all insulation. Post and beam with foot thick walls that smell mildly like weed at R2.5 per inch.

Downside is the wall has to be able to breath so it's pretty much plaster inside and out once the walls cure. I want to hempcrete. I don't really want to gently caress with venetian plaster.

My Memphis house had no loving insulation whatsoever and was built around 20 years ago. Electric bills were $500-600 to cool in the summer, $300-500 to heat in the winter. Just dead space between the drywall and plywood. Fuckers.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 9, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Do you have to dash it at all? I figure I'd just hang up some more pictures.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm sure you can, but I don't think it's necessary? My understanding of how most people plaster over hempcrete is pretty limited.

My plan is to take a class or join a build (it's a weird community, like earthship people) before doing whatever it is I wind up doing. There's bound to be groups putting on clinics in Colorado every summer.

This is 3-5 years from now. I'm only buying land this year. I doubt I'll be able to get financing, so this will be a pay as I go build. Not gonna lie, probably going to hire out the post and beam frame and metal roof to the local mennonites anyhow. They apparently undercut every motherfucker out here.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Check out this interview with Tom Silva about how he became a contractor and how he started with This Old House

https://youtu.be/Ptm0XiQzkas

In addition to being able to build or fix anything, I also learned that he sews!

I've lived most of my life in the American Southwest, yet between Car Talk and This Old House I inherently trust dads with Boston accents to give good advice on fixing stuff

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think my grout issue may actually be latex migration, apparently this can happen with a polymer enhanced grout (I used tec accucolor) and is much more noticeable with dark grouts. Has anyone else dealt with this before? I'm probably going to call a professional to fix it up and seal it, but it looks like you first do white vinegar and water after full curing, and if that doesn't work, sulfamic acid cleaner

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Have drip from the showerhead in shower. Older Coralais valve, old enough that I can't identify it on the Kohler web support helper.

But I did figure out the replacement mixer valve. Replaced mixer valve with new Kohler 71969 mixer valve, wiped mating surfaces, didn't see any obvious pitting or defects on the surface of the metal part of the valve. Lubed new o-rings, and pressed the new valve in evenly to avoid pinching o-rings. Reassembled. Shower still drips, so I disassembled, reseated, and reassembled.

And the shower still drips. What should my next step be?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

My wife pushed a box across the hardwood floor and scratched it in a very noticeable area. I have a DA car polisher (whatever the Porter cable one is that everybody online recommends for dummies), can I use that and some other product to try to buff the scratches out? Not sure what to use.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

can it be sanded out?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Is the scratch just in the finish or in the actual wood? I've used clear nail polish for the former

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Appears to just be in the top finish. You can feel them with a fingernail but they don't feel super deep.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I have a warped wooden door that no longer closes properly due to old age and humidity. Old century home style door for a bedroom. Is it possible to "de-warp" a wooden door or is that a fool's errand?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

melon cat posted:

I have a warped wooden door that no longer closes properly due to old age and humidity. Old century home style door for a bedroom. Is it possible to "de-warp" a wooden door or is that a fool's errand?

Maybe, but maybe not. It may be that it's pulling apart at joints that you can repair, or that you can get away with just shaving it down at the top or bottom. Also check that it's really the door and not the frame that's changed shape.

Got a photo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe, but maybe not. It may be that it's pulling apart at joints that you can repair, or that you can get away with just shaving it down at the top or bottom. Also check that it's really the door and not the frame that's changed shape.

Got a photo?

Hope you can see how the door bows outward near the bottom versus the top. I'm pretty certain the door itself is wrapped, and not the door frame. Previous owners did nothing for venting humidity on the upper floor of this house so all the doors are all sorts of hosed up

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 11, 2022