Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Tangentially related, but Shueisha (the Jump parent company) now has a gaming division: https://shueisha-games.com/

Maybe we'll see a Jump related game that's good instead of "bearable if you like the characters".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Maybe we’ll get a good new Jump Ultimate Stars. Jump Force is fun for seeing the horrible more realistic designs of some characters, but that’s about it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yum posted:

Akane-banashi got me looking at rakugo videos on youtube. Kinda like stand-up but with structured rules. Cool stuff

if you're in the market for more, there's the excellent (but generally more serious/dramatic) Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju anime, and the recent Oops All Manga episode turned me onto a concluded English-language podcast about rakugo where one of the hosts is a shin-uchi (apparently he has continued to do stuff on youtube).

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If anyone is just learning about Rakugo through Akane Banashi, I highly recommend Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - either the anime or the manga. It's a phenomenally well-written series about Rakugo, with themes of how art forms struggle into the modern technological age (along with the usual themes you'd expect like the struggle of artists and their self worth etc)

e:fb lmao

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah i'd just say anime tbh, the VAs may not be legit rakugoka but you do get to actually see and hear some performances, compared to the limitations of manga.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Maybe we’ll get a good new Jump Ultimate Stars. Jump Force is fun for seeing the horrible more realistic designs of some characters, but that’s about it.

If they make a new one I hope newer characters get more of a spotlight. Like I understand why DBZ, Naruto, and One Piece are always so heavily featured, but I do like the current cast of Jump characters.(And some of the ones that ended or got cancelled.)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Dai getting more characters besides the kid himself would be cool.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

If they make a new one I hope newer characters get more of a spotlight. Like I understand why DBZ, Naruto, and One Piece are always so heavily featured, but I do like the current cast of Jump characters.(And some of the ones that ended or got cancelled.)

I want to play as the doormat from Earthchild. His special moves would be crying and having his kid taken away.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I want to play as the doormat from Earthchild. His special moves would be crying and having his kid taken away.

He's strong against Deku, who feels awkward and guilty when that happens, but Power hard counters him with her "Point and laugh at human suffering" special.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Dai getting more characters besides the kid himself would be cool.

having Dai without Maam is a crime

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

More gag characters

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

More gag characters

Or any at all in Jump Force's case.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

dogsicle posted:

if you're in the market for more, there's the excellent (but generally more serious/dramatic) Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju anime, and the recent Oops All Manga episode turned me onto a concluded English-language podcast about rakugo where one of the hosts is a shin-uchi (apparently he has continued to do stuff on youtube).

CodfishCartographer posted:

If anyone is just learning about Rakugo through Akane Banashi, I highly recommend Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - either the anime or the manga. It's a phenomenally well-written series about Rakugo, with themes of how art forms struggle into the modern technological age (along with the usual themes you'd expect like the struggle of artists and their self worth etc)

e:fb lmao

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out! I'm more of a manga person and just glancing at it, it looks up my alley.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

dogsicle posted:

having Dai without Maam is a crime

Popp and Hadlar too, ideally

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Isn't Hancock more on the silly side than the serious?

I should probably have more examples but I never picked up the game myself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
before she met luffy hancock was an arrogant, murderous tyrant. she's a comic relief character in how quickly she changed, though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Isn't Hancock more on the silly side than the serious?

I should probably have more examples but I never picked up the game myself.

Yeah, the first half of Hancock is more goofy, but when the romance becomes central, the film moves away from the more comedic initial premise to try to...

Ah, right.

Yeah, there's nobody from a primarily gag series in Jump Force. Boa Hancock is no more inherently comedic than anyone else from One Piece, which admittedly leaves a lot of room to be goofy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

before she met luffy hancock was an arrogant, murderous tyrant. she's a comic relief character in how quickly she changed, though.

Tbf the first thing she did after her “heel turn” was literally to kick a baby seal and puppy out of her way, so it’s more that she’s not openly bitchy anymore since she’s Luffy’s buddy.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

He's strong against Deku, who feels awkward and guilty when that happens, but Power hard counters him with her "Point and laugh at human suffering" special.

This got a good chuckle out of me.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Roboco could destroy them all with one knee tied behind her back.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I demand a tiny Magu-chan waddling along at low speed.

Better yet, put him on that small dog.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WITCHWATCH_off/status/1510822154451177473?s=20&t=P1Oo_PMPjYci_tDsQdGnFg

Witch Watch now has an official Tik Tok with voiced vids

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If nothing else they got the hard selling narrator 100% right.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Goodbye, Eri was a fantastic one shot. Fujimoto has really great ideas and I really like how the comic was framed a lot of the times. Looking forward to when he does a more continued work.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
my guess is they are holding off on Chainsawman Pt. 2 until the anime is ready. But yeah, Fujimoto is so good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

losing my mind at earthchild, just lmao

it was interesting while it lasted

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Fujimoto a goddamn master of controlling my emotions.

I laughed so hard at that ending :haw:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

dogsicle posted:

oh my god

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
:wtc: I don't think you can blame that all on the editor anymore.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what on earth

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

8 weeks and each time i thought surely we will get a timeskip to the baby being a teen esper

8 weeks and each chapter denies me. instead mamoru's dad is going to feed him the evil government age-up juice

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Black Stones posted:

Goodbye, Eri was a fantastic one shot. Fujimoto has really great ideas and I really like how the comic was framed a lot of the times. Looking forward to when he does a more continued work.

Yeah it's a good read.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/goodbye-eri-chapter-1/chapter/24305?action=read

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Goddamn is Fujimoto such a great author. I was already crying mid-way through my read

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Is this the place to post about reading Death Note? Cause I’m reading Death Note and it owns, I’ve watched the show a few times but I’m looking forward to the second half that apparently got skimped on, and the manga in general’s kinda nice for feeling so brisk and lacking the pomp and circumstance of the show OST. A few thoughts:

- this poo poo is basically a black comedy half the time with Ryuk’s weird rear end just hanging out commenting at pivotal moments
- man, L’s death feels a lot more sudden than I remembered in the anime, it’s basically just almost in a flash “L starts making the deductions needed to eventually prove Misa’s a Kira, Rem realizes she’s trapped”
- also, it’s legit a bummer that L loses like that in general, the odds are stacked so heavily against him given the nature of the Note and really Light is just a lucky bastard on the whole

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

dogsicle posted:

Please spoil it for me because I’m not reading it anymore. What’s it doing now?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Black Stones posted:

Please spoil it for me because I’m not reading it anymore. What’s it doing now?

They announced that the agency in charge of Earthchilds has a procedure they do which rapidly ages babies to 10 years old which they're about to do to the baby.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well the past few weeks have been them discovering Kareri can be communicated with by the husband via Mamoru's powers and their family bond. it was backfilled this week but her powers and thus her ability to protect herself are dropping because Earthchildren are like One For All powers. so a fancy lad ex-Earthchild shows up and seems antagonistic for a chapter before offering to help them save Kareri, which they suddenly have to do in 30 days with minimal resources, basically having Mamoru use powers to carry his dad into space and back down with Kareri in tow.

this seems like it will be an insane training arc to begin with but as part of explaining how Earthchild powers work, the fancy lad reveals that Waste's attempts to create more Earthchildren failed but resulted in a supersoldier elixir that can age someone physically and mentally by 10 years. this was used on him as well as Kareri and the chapter ends on the ultimatum of whether they will use it on Mamoru to be able to save Kareri.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Like, couldn't you just do a timeskip after a couple more chapters and not make that a plot point? Even as inconsistent as the series has been I don't expect he's going to actually go through with it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Ayashimon has turned into Naruto now, but outside of that, the chapter was fun.I really need to read Earthchild because it sounds like a genuine trainwreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I like the conceit of the power in Ayashimon. Also, Maruo beating up a house fire is fun.