Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Owling Howl posted:

On one hand it sounds like Ukrainian propaganda for morale purposes on the other hand it sounds like something that could happen to the Russian army.

It's a tough one.

yeah. i suspect they probably hosed up a convoy but idk if its that level. that being said, the russians use there poo poo to carry alot of their troops. so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i suspect they probably hosed up a convoy but idk if its that level. that being said, the russians use there poo poo to carry alot of their troops. so who knows.

The 2,000 part was added by FishBulbia as part of his bad faith shtick, I don't see that claim elsewhere.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Youth Decay posted:

The 2,000 part was added by FishBulbia as part of his bad faith shtick, I don't see that claim elsewhere.

oh it was definitely part of the canadian ukraine volunteer guy's report

https://twitter.com/CanadianUkrain1/status/1513270462746398724

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

https://twitter.com/CanadianUkrain1/status/1513270462746398724?cxt=HHwWiMC40fvdm4AqAAAA

Worth applying skepticism to this account

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Witnesses further report Putin staggering onto the scene, face bloody, shaking his fist at the sky and yelling curses on the perfidious Kievans.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Concerned Citizen posted:

oh it was definitely part of the canadian ukraine volunteer guy's report

https://twitter.com/CanadianUkrain1/status/1513270462746398724

That's not where the giant column spotted on satellite was. Quite possible something was destroyed there, but it would be considerably smaller.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Owling Howl posted:

On one hand it sounds like Ukrainian propaganda for morale purposes on the other hand it sounds like something that could happen to the Russian army.

It's a tough one.

Ukrainian official claims have more often than not been shown to be either real or even an underestimation and the Ukranian forces keep showing they have the ability and will to turn convoys to scrap. So I'm be leaning to the convoy is currently smoking metal unless evidence contrary comes up.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Witnesses further report Putin staggering onto the scene, face bloody, shaking his fist at the sky and yelling curses on the perfidious Kievans.

I have obtained footage of Dr. Putin escaping the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZqVUjziexk

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ukrainian official claims have more often than not been shown to be either real or even an underestimation and the Ukranian forces keep showing they have the ability and will to turn convoys to scrap. So I'm be leaning to the convoy is currently smoking metal unless evidence contrary comes up.

Ukraine has said things that aren't true many times. In Makariv, for example. That said, they have only said they destroyed "a large convoy." Ukraine destroys convoys, that isn't out of character. The 2,000 dead stuff, or it being "the" convoy spotted on satellite imagery, is not from any official source.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
COTS/Instagram one weird trick military defeats Russia, TYOOL2022
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexLuck9/status/1513112266203627522

gay picnic defence posted:

If you wanted the Russians to stop looking for your newly acquired SAMs the easiest thing to do is say they’re already blown up. They aren’t going to expend much effort looking for something they don’t think exists anymore.
They don’t need to look for them, if their radars are turned on they can see them.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Risky Bisquick posted:

Some people made fun of a photo of some Ukrainian volunteers who had rolled up yoga mats as part of their gear a few weeks ago. At the time I thought that seemed like a perfectly reasonable thing to put under you while sleeping in the field, but I guess it had an even more useful purpose.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

BattleMaster posted:

Some people made fun of a photo of some Ukrainian volunteers who had rolled up yoga mats as part of their gear a few weeks ago. At the time I thought that seemed like a perfectly reasonable thing to put under you while sleeping in the field, but I guess it had an even more useful purpose.

Eer or you know, sleeping mats.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I'm skeptical about the yoga mats vs IR. Perhaps it's true, but the YPG tried a very similar tactic against the Turkish military and it had no effect; Turkish attack helicopters and drones could see them at night with IR just as easily and slaughtered them in Afrin.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Risky Bisquick posted:

They don’t need to look for them, if their radars are turned on they can see them.

This is some Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy poo poo.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

OctaMurk posted:

I'm skeptical about the yoga mats vs IR. Perhaps it's true, but the YPG tried a very similar tactic against the Turkish military and it had no effect; Turkish attack helicopters and drones could see them at night with IR just as easily and slaughtered them in Afrin.

Blankets work to block heat and defeat IR cameras. I've personally seen people hide from cameras using blankets. It's not 100%, but it does diminish your signature.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

OctaMurk posted:

Skeptical as well. Seems like could just be a carrot help us shoot down plans in the dark type lie from the brits in ww2.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/a-wwii-propaganda-campaign-popularized-the-myth-that-carrots-help-you-see-in-the-dark-28812484/

It a thin yoga mat could do it you'd think it would be trivially easy just to make some thick clothing that could do similar.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

OctaMurk posted:

It's definitely possible to defeat IR cameras by using an insulating shield, so it's vaguely plausible, although I'm definitely skeptical that you'd be able to get sufficient coverage against multiple rapidly moving vantage points. Which may point to a crucial difference between Turkish operations and Russian operations, or maybe the UA just tried it and got lucky that it wasn't really needed, or maybe it's just bullshit propaganda :shrug: But there's still an outside chance it could be true.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zhanism posted:

Eer or you know, sleeping mats.

you mean like I said?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
It's very plausible, as this video demonstrates using a normal blanket (skip to 2:30). As long as your body isn't directly touching it, it seems like it'll be effective.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Against thermal cameras, the best thing to use is glass since you can see them but they can't see you. Unfortunately, glass is heavy. Some plastics work too. You just have to make sure whatever you're carrying doesn't get warmer than ambient.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
A golf umbrella made of the right sort of material or painted with IR reflective paint sounds like it would be ideal.

Edit - I think a lot of people are assuming Russia has good IR equipment that can detect minor IR emissions. On exposed form that seems like a very bold assumption.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Yeah. The war so far should have taught everyone that if there's one thing the Russians don't have, it's good equipment.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

dr_rat posted:

It a thin yoga mat could do it you'd think it would be trivially easy just to make some thick clothing that could do similar.

Foam is a good insulator. That’s one of the reasons you sleep on it. It seems plausible. And they make foam float coats that probably would work.

Edit lol I wonder if a Gumby suit would work ( the ones you get into for an abandon ship)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just in case anyone is confused, what most people think of "IR" is near infrared, and is commonly used by security (and often military) cameras for night vision because the moon puts out a lot of it and you can use IR illuminators (giant TV remote LEDs basically) to light up an area but still be invisible to the naked eye. What we're talking about right now (and I think everyone is on the same page on, but I just wanted to clarify) is far infrared, more commonly referred to as "thermal" because it is emitted by all objects based on their temperature. Totally different things.

Not that anyone has said anything incorrect but more that the question often comes up so I thought I'd preempt it.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

OddObserver posted:

The air numbers have been clearly... overoptimistic for a while.

Russian air forces are flying low, well within MANPAD and SHORAD ranges, against an enemy that spent 6 years preparing for short range AA engagements. Their helicopter tactics have been extremely questionable and we've seen multiple instances of their countermeasures failing to work on both helicopters and fixed wing. Drones like the Granat/Orlan/Eleron/etc are relatively easy pickings because they're going to be low, slow, and lack that survivability equipment. 3 drones, 1 fixed wing, and 4 helicopters on a day that Russia is moving large numbers of equipment that needs ISR/overwatch through potentially contested territory is a reasonable number.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

the holy poopacy posted:

It's definitely possible to defeat IR cameras by using an insulating shield, so it's vaguely plausible, although I'm definitely skeptical that you'd be able to get sufficient coverage against multiple rapidly moving vantage points. Which may point to a crucial difference between Turkish operations and Russian operations, or maybe the UA just tried it and got lucky that it wasn't really needed, or maybe it's just bullshit propaganda :shrug: But there's still an outside chance it could be true.
Been thinking about this, and maybe they've been using them in a tortoise formation rather than just holding them up as a screen? If you've surrounded your squad with mats, possibly also covered with blankets and camo, you'd be hidden from IR regardless of the angle they're looking at you...

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kadyrov claiming that they'll take Kyiv...eventually. It's from the Kyiv Independent, so grain of salt, but I think they're reporting from his social media...
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1513332594812899332?s=20&t=onDLQ--XnBxjpxoPkt-96g

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

KillHour posted:

Just in case anyone is confused, what most people think of "IR" is near infrared, and is commonly used by security (and often military) cameras for night vision because the moon puts out a lot of it and you can use IR illuminators (giant TV remote LEDs basically) to light up an area but still be invisible to the naked eye. What we're talking about right now (and I think everyone is on the same page on, but I just wanted to clarify) is far infrared, more commonly referred to as "thermal" because it is emitted by all objects based on their temperature. Totally different things.

Not that anyone has said anything incorrect but more that the question often comes up so I thought I'd preempt it.

Yeah, this.

In near IR, especially in the open they would be completely visible, because they'll just look much like they would in the day, except in black and white.

In a built up/forested area the thermal cameras will be looking out for bright spots of heat, and mats like this could well be enough to make you not stand out like fairy lights and be overlooked. If they're focusing on a small area they'll likely still find you, but if they're scanning wide areas you could easily be missed.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Sounds like battlefield folklore, like cope cages on tanks. Now, if BAE Systems starts selling yoga mats as Portable Dual Purpose Thermal Defeat Barriers for $999, I might start believing it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

dr_rat posted:

Anything insulating will reduce heat flow and thus reduce or eliminate thermal emission. The problem is that the human body is continuously emitting something like 200w while moving around, and all of that has to be emitted or your body temperature will rise and you will get heat stroke. Just putting on warmer clothing does nothing, you still have the same metabolism and you still have to balance that flow of energy if you want to maintain body temperature and stave off heat stroke. Best you can do is try to radiate all that heat somewhere harder to see (like downwards).

The article specifically says holding mats above when something flies overhead. You could be heating up the dirt in your trench while putting foam overhead to block upwards emission and nothing is going to notice that. Won't work as well if you aren't hugging the dirt though.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

saratoga posted:

Anything insulating will reduce heat flow and thus reduce or eliminate thermal emission. The problem is that the human body is continuously emitting something like 200w while moving around, and all of that has to be emitted or your body temperature will rise and you will get heat stroke. Just putting on warmer clothing does nothing, you still have the same metabolism and you still have to balance that flow of energy if you want to maintain body temperature and stave off heat stroke. Best you can do is try to radiate all that heat somewhere harder to see (like downwards).

The article specifically says holding mats above when something flies overhead. You could be heating up the dirt in your trench while putting foam overhead to block upwards emission and nothing is going to notice that. Won't work as well if you aren't hugging the dirt though.

Can they smear mud all over themselves like Arnold did when the Predator was mad at him?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Kadyrov claiming that they'll take Kyiv...eventually. It's from the Kyiv Independent, so grain of salt, but I think they're reporting from his social media...
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1513332594812899332?s=20&t=onDLQ--XnBxjpxoPkt-96g

"And then I'll bend over and monkeys will fly out of my butt."

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Young Freud posted:

They can’t even capture that abandoned building they keep shooting at, taking Kyiv seems like a bit of a reach.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Young Freud posted:

The strongest "The war will be over by Christmas" energy I've ever seen in my lifetime. Yes even more than the Mission Accomplished banner.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

KillHour posted:

Against thermal cameras, the best thing to use is glass since you can see them but they can't see you. Unfortunately, glass is heavy. Some plastics work too. You just have to make sure whatever you're carrying doesn't get warmer than ambient.

Seems like a good fiberglass blanket would work well in this instance.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If kadryov wasn't a little panzy he would air drop into Kyiv with his goons tonight.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is precedent for this based on Rwandan War Crime trials, right? I seem to recall some religious officials being charged.

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1513362014407741447?s=21&t=X3b28awOwsAUJL5CpM7vFA

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

If kadryov wasn't a little panzy he would air drop into Kyiv with his goons tonight.

He would need to actually set foot in Ukraine first, I think he’s too busy posing for staged photos in front of petrol stations in Rostov for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukraine economy to contract 45.1% this year, Russia 11.2%: World Bank