Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That was a good read. This part in particular felt like Fujimoto just putting his thoughts on paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Julias posted:

That was a good read. This part in particular felt like Fujimoto just putting his thoughts on paper

Both this and Look Back feel incredibly personal to Fujimoto.

And I love it so much.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm going to assume high traffic or something broke the app loading pages for me, since my first read had tons of spots with random blank pages/chunks of 2-5 blank pages. only realized when chapters of other manga did the same after 🙃

turns out it seems a lot worse and more pretentious when you think fujimoto is just tossing in tons of blank pages and you're missing 1/4 the bits of eri and mc or specifically the parts that give nuance to his mom/Goodbye Explosion Mother. really enjoyed my full second read though lol

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

man

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
jesus christ

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

he's so loving good dude

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Ibblebibble posted:

Now that was a very good read.

Delightfully meta, rather than pretentiously meta. I'm still not entirely sure about whether the ending was just another film or an imagine spot or what.

everything after looking at the rope is his "sprinkle of fantasy" and he actually dies there. or at least that's my read

it's so good. gently caress

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mimesweeper posted:

everything after looking at the rope is his "sprinkle of fantasy" and he actually dies there. or at least that's my read

it's so good. gently caress
I think you can interpret the entire thing as the completed movie. The entire oneshot is the movie.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Finally a Togata oneshot

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

I think you can interpret the entire thing as the completed movie. The entire oneshot is the movie.

It was certainly composed in a highly cinematic style, with the sort of cuts you would expect in this sort of film--such as when the manga was showing evidence of Yuta going "aww yeah" whenever there were nipples in a movie.

The manga also had a built-in ambiguity with regards to what was fiction and what was real, particularly after the scene of Yuta, Eri, and Yuta's father eating dinner. I don't interpret it that way, but it seems to be very much there in the text.

Anyway, he did it again. I cried. I don't think there's many mangaka out there writing with this level of emotional depth in their work today and he's only 28.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

page and a half in and i don't think i can read this today. A bit more personal than i was anticipating

Looking forward to reading it eventually though

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, that was amazing.

It started off feeling a bit redundant with some of Fujimoto's earlier manga, but as it went, it started to show its own emotional depth and its unique voice...

And then that punchline!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm starting to suspect that fujimoto might like movies

he makes the signs real subtle, but if you look hard enough you can put together the pieces

edit: i think i personally prefer look back, but this was also great. i think as much as i enjoy the joke above, seeing the mangaka return again to one of their prominent symbols/themes in such an explicit way kind of took me out of it a bit. i don't know maybe i'll appreciate it more on a re-read. everything else aside, the punchline is excellent

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 10, 2022

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
That idea of sprinkling a little of fantasy at the end is something he did on Look Back too, with the alternate reality at the end, and in some of his previous oneshots to a lesser degree.Pretty cool to see a mangaka lay out his philosophy/ideas to making their works like this.

Fabricated posted:

Definitely, the first page is a person looking up at their phone with the title of the work, and the big majority of panels are framed to fit in a phone screen.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

that was incredible. i wish satoshi kon was a 200 year old vampire temporarily dead of memory brain explosion, because this would be a very cool follow up to millenium actress (and everything else he did too i guess)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just love how the mom kinda sorta looks like Makima lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I love meta stuff so this was sick imo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Big Leg posted:

that was incredible. i wish satoshi kon was a 200 year old vampire temporarily dead of memory brain explosion, because this would be a very cool follow up to millenium actress (and everything else he did too i guess)

I'd say it's kind of the opposite of Millennium Actress.

That was about how real film could be, with the various fictions all coalescing into a true portrait of Chiyoko. Meanwhile, this was about how fake film could be, with the "documentaries" forming completely deceptive portraits of their subjects, even when the footage was real.

Similarly, Chiyoko was in love with an image of her artist, and in the end found the chasing good enough, even though the catching was impossible. Here, meanwhile, Yuta finds his idealized love interest, the girl who never really existed... and then he blows her up, because he's somewhat horrified by the lie becoming the only thing that survived. Unlike Chiyoko, Yuta says goodbye and means it.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say it's kind of the opposite of Millennium Actress.

That was about how real film could be, with the various fictions all coalescing into a true portrait of Chiyoko. Meanwhile, this was about how fake film could be, with the "documentaries" forming completely deceptive portraits of their subjects, even when the footage was real.

Similarly, Chiyoko was in love with an image of her artist, and in the end found the chasing good enough, even though the catching was impossible. Here, meanwhile, Yuta finds his idealized love interest, the girl who never really existed... and then he blows her up, because he's somewhat horrified by the lie becoming the only thing that survived. Unlike Chiyoko, Yuta says goodbye and means it.

i like both of your interpretations! i definitely meant more as a companion piece exploring similar thematic areas, even though they are ultimately kind of oppositional conclusions.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
so many shounen series are basically hollowed out by genre conventions (how many now have cast away everything unique about themselves for months-long fight scenes?) so fujimoto's constant awareness of and ruminations upon the role and risks of fiction is always a relief

the man hasn't even gotten an anime yet and he basically brings Jump to its knees every time he publishes, god only knows where his career will end up

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 11, 2022

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
200 pages, 200 years

https://twitter.com/FJaY1nBHVwK07pR/status/1513179026810372108

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh, it's a reference to Japan's title for "Let the Right One In"?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

Oh, it's a reference to Japan's title for "Let the Right One In"?

Makes sense for Fujimoto.

Something else I find interesting is the difference between how the films impact characters.

Yuta's father and Eri's friend both had the films influence their memory, but they didn't overwrite it. Yuta's dad still would remember that his wife was a terrible mother, that she could be selfish and cruel, that she was only doing this for her own self-aggrandizement, but the movie lets him focus on how she could also be kind, and cute, and funny. Eri's friend still would remember that she was a four eyed bitch, even as she focused on how she was also bright and driven. But Eri?

Eri was lying to herself. Forming an image that didn't exist, without knowledge of the reality behind it.

I don't know how important that is, exactly, but it feels relevant.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think that's a pretty cynical take on Eri.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Maybe. Certainly it's a cynical way to phrase it.

But I'm not sure it's wrong. The real Eri in the last act looked like she based herself off the distorted Eri in the film without seeing the rest of the story. She's taking a part as the whole.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

a kitten posted:

page and a half in and i don't think i can read this today. A bit more personal than i was anticipating

Looking forward to reading it eventually though

I fully get you. Yeah this one shot deserves a little warning.

I still really enjoyed it tho.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Maybe. Certainly it's a cynical way to phrase it.

But I'm not sure it's wrong. The real Eri in the last act looked like she based herself off the distorted Eri in the film without seeing the rest of the story. She's taking a part as the whole.

I mean sure, but I don't think the comic is particularly judgy about that. Honestly that angle mostly seems to reinforce the theme of the power of art to influence your memories. With art you can choose how someone is remembered, it can make people believe something fake is real (which the whole meta angle of this one-shot works into because by the end very difficult to tell whether anything was "real" or just part of a movie) and I don't think Fujimoto portrays that as a negative. Or as a positive for that matter. I think it's trying to show that "drat, movie's are incredible" which is pretty on-brand.

Like, with the reveal that mom was actually a huge jerk the main thing I took from it was like how the reader's perspective proves what dad is saying about how art can choose is someone remembered. I know my first read through for that opening movie I was like "drat, the audience sucks. That seems like a pretty sweet way to remember his mum all in all, she was portrayed really lovely." but turns out she wasn't anything like what I thought. It was evidence of how easily movies can influence people and how that's kinda amazing. That's one of the big themes of the one-shot imo.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 11, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It was certainly interesting.
Why was everything the lead saw generally out of focus?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Was that just his front camera being lovely?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
He started filming on a cell phone, his camera was probably garbage.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think he's just bad at shooting

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

the way he slowly got better at handling the camera over time was also great

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There's definitely a lot of ways to interpret it.

You could see it as Eri being selfish and only wanting the good parts of her to be remembered, like Yuta's mom. But you could also see it as her wanting her next "self" to be better, and so made a movie to set that up.

Personally, I read it as the whole ending being purely metaphorical. Eri wasn't ACTUALLY a vampire, she didn't ACTUALLY come back. I read it as part of Yuta's imagination (which his dad said was always very active), as a means of him dealing with loss and as a means to convince himself to keep living. We clearly see the couch is empty when he walks in, and yeah maybe she was hiding in the darkness, but it feels more appropriate to me that he was just imagining what Eri would say to him if she saw him about to kill himself again.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

so many shounen series are basically hollowed out by genre conventions (how many now have cast away everything unique about themselves for months-long fight scenes?)

Avatar+post combo here making me real depressed.

This was loving excellent though.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Really good one shot. He is so good at creating intimacy with just the design of the page, body language, facial expressions. The dialogue is good, but the best parts were for me the quiet pages as random snippets played out.

BOOM.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

CodfishCartographer posted:

There's definitely a lot of ways to interpret it.

You could see it as Eri being selfish and only wanting the good parts of her to be remembered, like Yuta's mom. But you could also see it as her wanting her next "self" to be better, and so made a movie to set that up.

Personally, I read it as the whole ending being purely metaphorical. Eri wasn't ACTUALLY a vampire, she didn't ACTUALLY come back. I read it as part of Yuta's imagination (which his dad said was always very active), as a means of him dealing with loss and as a means to convince himself to keep living. We clearly see the couch is empty when he walks in, and yeah maybe she was hiding in the darkness, but it feels more appropriate to me that he was just imagining what Eri would say to him if she saw him about to kill himself again.

I agree that Eri wanted to portrayed as she was to start again, better than she was, however I still prefer to interpret the ending as real. It's a sort of metafictional moment where Fujimoto himself is saying "an element of the fantastical would really tie this all together here." It still works either way, but I prefer to see it optimistically.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
you could also read it as a scene that they recorded earlier, with some other guy taking the part of older yuta in another acted scene. it would fit in with yuta always controlling the camera in every scene too.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hace posted:

you could also read it as a scene that they recorded earlier, with some other guy taking the part of older yuta in another acted scene. it would fit in with yuta always controlling the camera in every scene too.

oh poo poo, oh gently caress

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hace posted:

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to believe in regards to that very idea.

Good one shot. Great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Hace posted:

This is exactly what I thought after I turned the last page, hahaha